• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

Thoraxes

OK, so I'm back after grinding some and getting some better gear, but I've still got a problem with the final boss (again, no spoilers pls).

I beat Colonel Richard (thanks for all the tips), and like I figured I had to fight some big dumb robot afterwards. I beat that and now I'm fighting some bigger dumber robot that kills my party members in one hit. Seriously, he keeps spamming this one attack that deals almost 3000 damage every time and I don't have enough time to damage him because I'm constantly reviving characters (which also means they keep losing all their CP every time they die so I never get any super moves). Is there any way to deal with this? My whole team is lvl 39 now and I got the best weapons and armor, but as long as they keep dying in one hit I can't win. I got him down to 7000 HP but he kept killing guys so quickly that I couldn't heal the guys taking damage from the drones because I spent all my time reviving.

Any more tips please?

As weird as this sounds, I had a way easier time with this one when I kept mostly only three people alive. I could post you my character loadouts if you'd like to see what I used to beat it. I even had a kinda not good orbment layout.

I used Estelle, Joshua, Zane (nice healthy HP pool), and Olivier as my team. I had Estelle healing, Joshua just plain dead most of the time, Zane up in the robot, and Olivier far away from the other two just spamming magic the whole time. I'd end up using S-Breaks on the adds if I didn't think I could one-shot them.

I also used Celestial Balms (should be some in that final dungeon) so I could have whoever I brought back to life have full HP. Most of the time I would let Zane take the heat, then resurrect him with that.

DrArchon

As weird as this sounds, I had a way easier time with this one when I kept mostly only three people alive. I could post you my character loadouts if you'd like to see what I used to beat it. I even had a kinda not good orbment layout.

I used Estelle, Joshua, Zane (nice healthy HP pool), and Olivier as my team. I had Estelle healing, Joshua just plain dead most of the time, Zane up in the robot, and Olivier far away from the other two just spamming magic the whole time. I'd end up using S-Breaks on the adds if I didn't think I could one-shot them.

I also used Celestial Balms (should be some in that final dungeon) so I could have whoever I brought back to life have full HP. Most of the time I would let Zane take the heat, then resurrect him with that.

My setup is a little similar. Estelle is on healing duty, Agate is up in the robot's face, Joshua is up there too, and Olivier is my magic DPS/back-up healer. Can't use magic at the start because of the fucking AA canceler bullshit, so I just smack at him until he gears up for his big laser than debuffs his defense. Problem is that he sometimes times takes a while to use that and I can't capitalize on it with S-breaks because I can never hit 100 CP because HE KEEPS KILLING EVERYONE IN ONE HIT.

Jesus Christ, if I hope I come across as angry because of this, because I totally am. This is a terribly designed boss fight. I'm used to 1-hit kill moves working on a % chance basis, meaning they don't work every single time in a row. Because of this one move that gets constantly spammed, I'm scared to buff my guys, I can't get S-breaks, I can't deal consistent damage, and I'm burning through all my items when Estelle and Oliver bite it because they're the ones with the revive spell.

This boss just seems really poorly designed to me. Shit, I had an easier time with Dullahan back in Golden Sun TLA. At least his instant kill moves almost never worked.

Thud

Increase your party's defense and attack. If you can't interrupt a craft, try using immunity spells.

So (la) crest, (la) forte/morale and earth guard/earth wall. Clock up is great as well.

The endgame is just testing if you got the battle mechanics down. Well it helps if you have somewhat balanced team. SC is a tad different with a bit more RNG mixed in it.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
....that's not exactly a release date. Just a release month? Just saying that they plan to release it in July 2016.

Also, as a note, there's a flag underneath it that says it may not be the final image. Clearly they've yet to decide on how to place the logo and so forth, and there's a lot more artwork still to be released on the website itself, it looks like, considering that there are some context clues on the front page.
They originally announced it for July 14th and removed the day later btw
http://livedoor.4.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/3/7/375750c1.jpg

As for the boxart, both FC/SC evo used repositioned versions of the website art on their respective pages as the final art so I doubt it's going to change much from what's currently shown

Yo quick question for those who played SC EVO (ending spoilers)

Did they fuck with the portrait change like they did with FC. More to the point: Did they fuck with Kevin's new last-expression like they did with Joshua's in FC?
They kept it in (ending spoilers)

URtMblS.jpg

Nyoro SF

My setup is a little similar. Estelle is on healing duty, Agate is up in the robot's face, Joshua is up there too, and Olivier is my magic DPS/back-up healer. Can't use magic at the start because of the fucking AA canceler bullshit, so I just smack at him until he gears up for his big laser than debuffs his defense. Problem is that he sometimes times takes a while to use that and I can't capitalize on it with S-breaks because I can never hit 100 CP because HE KEEPS KILLING EVERYONE IN ONE HIT.

Jesus Christ, if I hope I come across as angry because of this, because I totally am. This is a terribly designed boss fight. I'm used to 1-hit kill moves working on a % chance basis, meaning they don't work every single time in a row. Because of this one move that gets constantly spammed, I'm scared to buff my guys, I can't get S-breaks, I can't deal consistent damage, and I'm burning through all my items when Estelle and Oliver bite it because they're the ones with the revive spell.

This boss just seems really poorly designed to me. Shit, I had an easier time with Dullahan back in Golden Sun TLA. At least his instant kill moves almost never worked.

Sounds like something is up with your defense rating, perhaps it's not high enough. Maybe stream your attempt or record it to youtube?

Increase your party's defense and attack. If you can't interrupt a craft, try using immunity spells.

So (la) crest, (la) forte/morale and earth guard/earth wall. Clock up is great as well.

The endgame is just testing if you got the battle mechanics down. Well it helps if you have somewhat balanced team. SC is a tad different with a bit more RNG mixed in it.

The SC final battle gimmick was pretty funny when it happened to me. It was also kind of poetic.
Both Kloe and Tita got hit by the same vanish attack so it was just Estelle and Joshua fighting at the end by themselves

omgfloofy

Banned
They originally announced it for July 14th and removed the day later btw
http://livedoor.4.blogimg.jp/jin115/imgs/3/7/375750c1.jpg

It was definitely less than a day later. It was revealed and removed while I was still asleep.

I think that removing it is even more telling. But that image (posted in this thread originally) is still not really proof of the release date. My personal (but unverified) suspicion is that Falcom might be unhappy with it being a week before Ys VIII.

...on a completely unrelated note, it's also good to know that images under spoilers don't work on chrome mobile. It just shows the image with a black border. Lol

DrArchon

OK, finally managed to beat the game. Thanks for all your help everyone! Last fight ended with 3 characters dead and Agate at 750 Hp, but I did it and that's all that matters.

I'll be sure to pick up SC in a few months or so, but for now I'm gonna take a break from traditional JRPGs. I did enjoy my time with Trails in the Sky, so I'm keen on seeing how the story continues.

omgfloofy

Banned
It works for me!

I don't know what's up with it. I know it was fine on my old phone. (I upgraded this week)

I was wrong on the border thing, but here's the picture of basically what I see. I tried refreshing, clearing cache and stuff, and refreshing again. No luck.

Regardless, this is what happens, if anyone reading this thread can troubleshoot any code for the forums: http://i.imgur.com/islnVCO.jpg (spoilers in it, obviously, since the image isn't being hidden.)

Thoraxes

I don't know what's up with it. I know it was fine on my old phone. (I upgraded this week)

I was wrong on the border thing, but here's the picture of basically what I see. I tried refreshing, clearing cache and stuff, and refreshing again. No luck.

Regardless, this is what happens, if anyone reading this thread can troubleshoot any code for the forums: http://i.imgur.com/islnVCO.jpg (spoilers in it, obviously, since the image isn't being hidden.)
Huh, that's weird. Hopefully it gets situated!

Mashing

I'm convinced the 2nd to last battle in SC comes down to luck.

Mashing

I thought it was pretty manageable. You just have to really be on top of your shit.
Olivier was my murder machine. Couple that with gladiator belts and headbands and you can just s-craft through it like a champ.

I would die, haha.

Zane was my MVP in that fight. Don't think I could have done it without him.
Distend/Thunder God Kick (on PC) FTW. Kloe had insane art dmg, but I still don't think that fight can be done without earth guard/wall and she was basically a healbot/earthwall spammer.

the only boss in either of the games to fuck my shit up was
Renne
, that
one hit kill S craft right at the start was brutal and then those gorgon lazers
on top of it, that ain't right.

Ogawa-san

Renne
, that
Instakill/deathblow mechanics in RPGs are just so lame, that includes 2nd hit death from petrification.

Shahed

Renne
, that

Instakill/deathblow mechanics in RPGs are just so lame, that includes 2nd hit death from petrification.

Yeah the first time I fought that person was the only time I had an issue in either FC or SC. I had to retry 3 times because of instant death at the start to 2 people. 2nd time around I wore accessories to prevent it.

I hate luck based things. It's also why I despise it when games have stuff like items that have 50% chance to revive someone or 30% chance to escape. Either let me revive/escape with an item or don't. Luck is just the worst.

Nyoro SF

I hate deathblows and obnoxious luck KOs and such as well, but in that particular instance, the game does give you a warning that it's coming.

Unlike a particular Cold Steel fight where it doesn't... at all.

Arizato

Well, GAF... I have returned to this thread after some complaints I made a week ago. Just made it to Chapter 3 in Trails in the Sky FC and now I am hooked. The game has finally clicked for me and it is freaking glorious!

The story is starting to get really interesting now and I am getting a better grasp of the Orbment system. I really hope SC keeps this up, because I suspect I won't be able to put these games down anytime soon.

Well, GAF... I have returned to this thread after some complaints I made a week ago. Just made it to Chapter 3 in Trails in the Sky FC and now I am hooked. The game has finally clicked for me and it is freaking glorious!

The story is starting to get really interesting now and I am getting a better grasp of the Orbment system. I really hope SC keeps this up, because I suspect I won't be able to put these games down anytime soon.

I'm not usually one to say I told you so...but I told you so!

Glad you listened :)

Kvik

Hey guys,

Quick question, does anyone knows what the title of the boss fight track in the last chapter of Trails SC? The one where you fight all the enforcers?

Probably my favourite track out of FC/SC.

Thoraxes

Zane was my MVP in that fight. Don't think I could have done it without him.
Distend/Thunder God Kick (on PC) FTW. Kloe had insane art dmg, but I still don't think that fight can be done without earth guard/wall and she was basically a healbot/earthwall spammer.
Funny enough, the only buff I used that fight was clock up EX. My team was
Olivier, Estelle, Joshua, and Vander.

I need to learn not to independently seek information and just ask it here or something. It was just a simple "wait, how many Dominion are there in Gralsritter, again?" I Googled it and lo and behold! Spoiler!

In retrospect, I should have not read the list of member names...
Him at number two? Seriously?

omgfloofy

Banned
In retrospect, I should have not read the list of member names...
Him at number two? Seriously?

Anything related to that group is going to unearth spoilers.

An answer that doesn't give details, but hidden behind spoiler tags (just in case you didn't see it in your discovery of the spoilers):
The most there has ever been at any given time in history is twelve. We don't even know if this is the max, if there is a max, or if this is the number currently running around Zemirua. (But a bunch of us do have our theories.)

There are a number of us in this thread that can answer these questions, though... and I know that Guan and myself don't have problems answering them, either. It's probably a little easier than risking the spoiler haven that is googling for those answers. xD (We actually have a thread on the XSEED forums for people to ask us anything lore related, too, so it's not out of the blue for some of us.)

Gu4n

There are a number of us in this thread that can answer these questions, though... and I know that Guan and myself don't have problems answering them, either. It's probably a little easier than risking the spoiler haven that is googling for those answers. xD (We actually have a thread on the XSEED forums for people to ask us anything lore related, too, so it's not out of the blue for some of us.)
I'm kind of holding back on Cold Steel II spoilers on my Wiki for now, but that'll change once the game is out, of course. Just ask them here, and answers shall be given.

Anything related to that group is going to unearth spoilers.

An answer that doesn't give details, but hidden behind spoiler tags (just in case you didn't see it in your discovery of the spoilers):
The most there has ever been at any given time in history is twelve. We don't even know if this is the max, if there is a max, or if this is the number currently running around Zemirua. (But a bunch of us do have our theories.)

I'm kind of holding back on Cold Steel II spoilers on my Wiki for now, but that'll change once the game is out, of course. Just ask them here, and answers shall be given.
I'll do that in the future. Thank you for the clarification and offer!

Shameless cross-posting from the Ys community thread:

Recently I finished work on a big collection of Falcom-related Sound Canvas MIDI recordings you all should enjoy. I'm distributing these under Falcom's music sharing policy, as none of these arrangements were previously released in a doujin album (I had to scavenge them off the Internet Archive!).

2A8QOrY.jpg

Falcom Music Room Sound Canvas MIDI Collection folder link (MP3/MIDI, FLAC/MIDI, APE/MIDI, or MIDI files only).

You can find plenty of Kiseki/Trails arrangements from this collection on Falcom Music Channel, too, if you want to sample before downloading one of the packs. My picks:

Rock on the Road, Silver Will (Golden Wings), Hollow Light of the Sealed Land from Trails in the Sky FC
Fate of the Fairies,
Liber Ark
, The Merciless Savior, Where the Bonds Are, Silver Will Golden Wings Lazy MIX from Trails in the Sky SC[/URL]
Cradle Where Feelings Rest, Beard the Lion in His Den, Overdosing Heavenly Bliss, Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land from Trails 3rd

Please check the readme for more info, backstory, and tips on best MIDI playback.

Recently I finished work on a big collection of Falcom-related Sound Canvas MIDI recordings you all should enjoy. I'm distributing these under Falcom's music sharing policy, as none of these arrangements were previously released in a doujin album (I had to scavenge them off the Internet Archive!).

2A8QOrY.jpg

Falcom Music Room Sound Canvas MIDI Collection folder link (MP3/MIDI, FLAC/MIDI, APE/MIDI, or MIDI files only).

You can find plenty of Kiseki/Trails arrangements from this collection on Falcom Music Channel, too, if you want to sample before downloading one of the packs. My picks:

Rock on the Road, Silver Will (Golden Wings), Hollow Light of the Sealed Land from Trails in the Sky FC
Fate of the Fairies,
Liber Ark
, The Merciless Savior, Where the Bonds Are, Silver Will [URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOa2H1nYleI"]Golden Wings Lazy MIX from Trails in the Sky SC[/URL]
Cradle Where Feelings Rest, Beard the Lion in His Den, Overdosing Heavenly Bliss, Dreamy and Boisterous Holy Land from Trails 3rd

Please check the readme for more info, backstory, and tips on best MIDI playback.

Amazing selection!...but who drew Cassius like that? lol

Thoraxes

These are all super cool! I'll be giving them all a listen through for sure, so thanks for this!

Some of the arrangements are missing some notes, and some melodies and progressions are a little botched, but all in all they're great!

I may have access to some of the equipment this stuff was done on too! Currently just checking them out on one of my midi readers. It's nice that even the midi files themselves are formatted correctly too as far as the internals go. I always love looking at the percussion tracks the most.

It's nice that even the midi files themselves are formatted correctly too as far as the internals go. I always love looking at the percussion tracks the most.
On my end, importing the MIDI files into REAPER and making WAV recordings that way led me to partial failure in the first place, whereas direct playback recording (SAVIHost) meant I rarely had to fix anything. No one seems to be grading DAWs based on how accurately they import MIDI data, so far as I researched; trying to find shortcuts ultimately made me waste time on this project.

Kanchi just responded to a post I made on Twitter. With some patience I might coax him to distribute the MIDI for Karna (Ys IV), the last remaining track we need to record before the collection's finished. MIDIs for everything would be ideal, and given the files' sizes there's no excuse to conveniently delete/lose those arrangements.

Thoraxes

On my end, importing the MIDI files into REAPER and making WAV recordings that way led me to partial failure in the first place, whereas direct playback recording (SAVIHost) meant I rarely had to fix anything. No one seems to be grading DAWs based on how accurately they import MIDI data, so far as I researched; trying to find shortcuts ultimately made me waste time on this project.

Kanchi just responded to a post I made on Twitter. With some patience I might coax him to distribute the MIDI for Karna (Ys IV), the last remaining track we need to record before the collection's finished. MIDIs for everything would be ideal, and given the files' sizes there's no excuse to conveniently delete/lose those arrangements.
Being an older format, it's definitely a lot harder to find ways to automate a lot of that stuff too. I still have some of my sequencing programs for just midi only, but I rarely use them. And the data and variables are really finicky depending on programs and compatibilities. Then there's some that don't support some pitch bends, different samples, generations of samples, etc. It's incredible that you put together what you did, imo, because it can be tedious work for sure.

I'll probably shoot an e-mail to a former professor of mine asking her if the department has either an SC-8850 or SC-88Pro, or if she knows anyone that does. Maybe i'll get lucky, heh. Listening to some of this stuff makes me want to just tinker with one if I can find it.

And with the importing midi data, it really is only something I use in my DAW environment as just a basis to get my fundamentals in there. A lot of them just don't support some of those variables anymore, or wouldn't display them properly so they can be manipulated.

Either way, I hope you get the rest of it to wrap up the collection. It's super cool and something I personally appreciate!

Mashing

Finished Cold Steel this weekend. Thoughts about the ending:

Crow being C came out of fucking nowhere. Also I don't believe him for one second when he says the stuff he did at the Academy means nothing to him. I mean he was really into the whole festival concert and his relationship with George, Angelica and Towa can't be made up. Also if he was from the Jurai SEZ then it just didn't make sense that the game didn't send you there instead of Legram. Looking forward to the next game though. The introduction of the divine knights is pretty cool (woo mechs!) and the civil war to come should lead to tension right off the bat

Cqef

Finished Cold Steel this weekend. Thoughts about the ending:

Crow being C came out of fucking nowhere. Also I don't believe him for one second when he says the stuff he did at the Academy means nothing to him. I mean he was really into the whole festival concert and his relationship with George, Angelica and Towa can't be made up. Also if he was from the Jurai SEZ then it just didn't make sense that the game didn't send you there instead of Legram. Looking forward to the next game though. The introduction of the divine knights is pretty cool (woo mechs!) and the civil war to come should lead to tension right off the bat

Rean's group wasn't sent in Jurai during chapter 5 indeed, but the other group, with Crow, went to Jurai. And do you remember at Garrelia Fortress how bitter Crow sounded when he called out on Machias who mentioned how people looked nice and happy when they where there? That's a major hint.

Thoraxes

Rean's group wasn't sent in Jurai during chapter 5 indeed, but the other group, with Crow, went to Jurai. And do you remember at Garrelia Fortress how bitter Crow sounded when he called out on Machias who mentioned how people looked nice and happy when they where there? That's a major hint.

Cold Steel Spoilers: There's also something minor in chapter
too. Where
Crow shows up in the upstairs cafe in Heimdallr by himself.

Top Bottom