• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Just move the box over further and he will move, causing planks to break and fall, it's easy. He will follow where the box is.
I grabbed his tail already. The physics of the world knocked me back in to the water.

Charm goes a long way, but this is just untested, poor game design and physics.

Skulldead

I don't get the controls complaints, game controls fine for me? What am I missing? Sometimes the camera is less the ideal but not bad. Vince on IGN said it was the worst controls/camera he has ever seen...I don't get it..

The climbing on the Beast is horrible, First because it seem to be tied to the Camera movement, if you move the camera at same time you push foward the character move, it change direction. And the stupid constant reset of the camera when the beast move, really don't help to the control. Also When the boy is upside down thing get way worse because it seem to reset the direction of the pushing direction for i don't know what reason.

Second the jumping physic mechanic don't always work, sometimes it grab, other it's not. A couple of time i was like i can jump and grap this ledge, didn't work, tried like 10 minute later because i thought it was not the right way, hoo now it work.

As much i like the game, i don't remember a single game that make me angry that much for camera and control since a long time( i haven't talk about how the pointing direction doesn't work that well). Really remove attachment point to the overall experience.

hope

Banned
This part where you're in the water and have to grab his tail is TERRIBLE. Easily the most frustrating part yet.

After about 10 minutes of calling him, his tail comes down, I grab it and climb the physics of the wood knock me back in to the water and his tail is somehow looped resting on the wood. A few minutes of this and the voice over tells me we've both escaped as I clung on to him! What a fucking joke! The physics of the world borked the dialogue. This is worse than the barrel falling through the world I had earlier.

This game's fun/frustration ratio of this game is really testing my patience.
Sir you are doing something wrong then. Just grab the tail and climb up from the free space. Call him twice or thrice to clear space. There is nothing frustrating there.

I dont blame him cause I didnt really get that puzzle either. It just happened by luck.

I kept moving around
with the box
and spammed R1 and 10 minutes later
the tail was available.

hope

Banned
The climbing on the Beast is horrible, First because it seem to be tied to the Camera movement, if you move the camera at same time you push foward the character move, it change direction. And the stupid constant reset of the camera when the beast move, really don't help to the control. Also When the boy is upside down thing get way worse because it seem to reset the direction of the pushing direction for i don't know what reason.

Second the jumping physic mechanic don't always work, sometimes it grab, other it's not. A couple of time i was like i can jump and grap this ledge, didn't work, tried like 10 minute later because i thought it was not the right way, hoo now it work.

As much i like the game, i don't remember a single game that make me angry that much for camera and control since a long time( i haven't talk about how the pointing direction doesn't work that well). Really remove attachment point to the overall experience.
If you have played Ico or SOTC you will feel right at home. You get used to the camera in like 10 mins. Also if there is a Ledge the boy will always grab it if you time the jump well. If you are far away from the ledge it will obviously not grab it. Pointing direction always worked for me. Make sure you are pointing at the same direction. If you change directions then it won't. Also Trico is quite intelligent. He would always go the right way, make room and jump. I had no problems with Trico at all. Have patience. He is not a Robot :)

If someone tells you a direction. You would first apply some thought over it and then go coz you are not a Robot but have Brain. Same with Trico.

Sir you are doing something wrong then. Just grab the tail and climb up from the free space. Call him twice or thrice to clear space. There is nothing frustrating there.
I'm out, but I was not doing anything wrong. If his tail loops back on itself wresting on the wooden beam physics, I can't do a thing about that. The gap should've been wider so the tail physics don't get caught.

I guess when the barrel fell through the physics of the floor and disappeared into oblivion I was doing something wrong then too?

hope

Banned
I'm out, but I was not doing anything wrong. If his tail loops back on itself wresting on the wooden beam physics, I can't do a thing about that. The gap should've been wider so the tail physics don't get caught.

I guess when the barrel fell through the physics of the floor and disappeared into oblivion I was doing something wrong then too?
Not sure which area you were climbing from but for me it was towards the end of the platform. I called trico being beneath the middle of the platform so that his tail will hand from the end. Placed the wooden box some distance away and voila climbed it.

I would say reposition him and try again. Surely it will give better results. But having it as a negative point for the game is far stretched.

N° 2048

Agree with this so much. I like the game but holy hell the controls and camera are wonky. SOTC is probably my top 5 games of all time too.

The water + box + tail puzzle was the worst so far. The line plays before you actually grab his tail and then you have to reset the checkpoint. (seen this bug mentioned many times in guides)

Fireblend

Banned
Pretty sure the line played for me before the tail dropped and I didn't have to reset the checkpoint. It's more of a hint to let you know what to do.

Meliora

I got past the place I was stuck which were simply jumping off a rope (or maybe it was a chain when I think about it) that was moving. I was pressing things too fast before as I thought I had to hurry before the chain moved back to it's starting position. To get the boy to jump in the right direction it seems like the best thing to do is just let go off all the buttons for a second or two and then press which direction you want, wait for him to reach out and then jump. Which was confusing as I had to push the chain to get it moving and not lose momentum so I kept pressing the direction I wanted and jumped at the same time which resulted in him just jumping up the chain and not off it. If I simply let go right next to the edge he wouldn't grab onto it either, so I was frustrated haha.

He also jumps quite far so I didn't have to let go of the chain as fast as I thought. I'm glad I can now jump from ropes and chains (and tails!!) without much trouble because the next section had a lot of chains lol.

I'm still not a fan of the controls overall eventhough I do feel like I have a better grasp of them by now. They're slow and it can feel like it sort of breaks the flow often, especially when things happens fast. I figure it's just a preference thing though.
Still loving the atmosphere and look of the game. Both Trico and the Boy has tons of personality and they are just so well animated that it's a joy to just watch them at times.

Pandy

It really feels like a PS2 game in so many ways, or just a product of another time if you prefer. This at least makes sense given what we know about the game and that goes some way to making it excusable, which it really wouldn't be with more recently developed titles.

I feel like it already falls into the category of games I'm nostalgic for, but will never play through again because of the controls and camera.

JJShadow

Just completed the
collapsing bridge part
and wow man, dem feels. I was really liking the game until this point, and now I can say I love it, this part finally triggered that special connection with Trico. This game really is something special

Unknown?

Just completed the
collapsing bridge part
and wow man, dem feels. I was really liking the game until this point, and now I can say I love it, this part finally triggered that special connection with Trico. This game really is something special
That part got me too! Due to time constraints I wasn't able to finish it till now. I have to say this is my favorite PS4 game for sure now. The ending was fantastic and the whole game was great!

The camera was annoying at times but for very little of the game really. Never had a problem with Trico not responding.

After playing for a few hours on the standard PS4 and 1080p, I ended up having to plug the PS4 into an old 720p TV and now the game runs perfectly smooth!

Playing with low frame rate was totally ruining the experience for me and making the game so frustrating at times that I even put it aside for a few days. 720p and smooth frame rate made the experience so much better. I'm loving it now!

Gbraga

After playing for a few hours on the standard PS4 and 1080p, I ended up having to plug the PS4 into an old 720p TV and now the game runs perfectly smooth!

Playing with low frame rate was totally ruining the experience for me and making the game so frustrating at times that I even put it aside for a few days. 720p and smooth frame rate made the experience so much better. I'm loving it now!

Wait, really? That works?

I don't have a 720p TV, can I force the PS4 to run at 720p in the options somewhere?

I don't have a 720p TV, can I force the PS4 to run at 720p in the options somewhere?

It works! I think you can try forcing 720p on your PS4. TLG seems to render the game in 720p too, so you can imagine the performance improvement without having to render 1080p.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I finally just got around to this after buying day one. Have seen no spoilers somehow maintained almost complete media blackout.

First impression: Holy mother of fuck this deadzone. I mean what in the ever-living christ!? You can move the stick half an inch in any direction without input registering, and then to compound it... when it does move it's full of acceleration. Wtf man.

Anyway, besides what I consider to be the worst input lag I've ever experienced in a game... it's otherwise incredible upon first impression.

God I hope they sort out this camera though. Really souring the experience. Idk how you work on a game for 50 years and allow that shit out the door. Wtf.

Kaelan

Just beat the game and I loved it. One of the games of this generation to be honest. While camera was horrible and climbing mechanics meh at times, the storyline was memorable and touching.

The after credits scene blew me away
So does trico have a kid with that other Trico that kept attacking us? Or a family now? Was a bit confused but happy to see he was happy. It was super hard commanding him to leave when you got back to the village

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished. What an absolute masterpiece. I think those last 2 hours were some of the most intense and emotionally draining I've ever gone through in any video game, if not the most. Game of the year, by far. Wow. This game, and specially Trico, are an accomplishment.

I'm gonna miss coming home to play this so, so much. It really feels like saying good bye to a friend.

FrankWza

I finally just got around to this after buying day one. Have seen no spoilers somehow maintained almost complete media blackout.

First impression: Holy mother of fuck this deadzone. I mean what in the ever-living christ!? You can move the stick half an inch in any direction without input registering, and then to compound it... when it does move it's full of acceleration. Wtf man.

Anyway, besides what I consider to be the worst input lag I've ever experienced in a game... it's otherwise incredible upon first impression.

God I hope they sort out this camera though. Really souring the experience. Idk how you work on a game for 50 years and allow that shit out the door. Wtf.

Development spanned 3 gens...ps3,ps4,pspro ;)

c0Zm1c

Something isn't right there then. The boy has two movement speeds: creeping and running. You should only need to move the thumbstick a little for him to start moving slowly.

Evolved1

Something isn't right there then. The boy has two movement speeds: creeping and running. You should only need to move the thumbstick a little for him to start moving slowly.
I'm talking about the camera. It's a massive deadzone, not even debatable.

Unknown?

I'm talking about the camera. It's a massive deadzone, not even debatable.
Yeah I was having a bit of a rough time with that when I first started, coming off of FFXV. Luckily it took all but 15 minutes for me to be fully adjusted to it and not even notice. But I adapt to things easily.

Evolved1

Btw my first post came off as super negative when actually what I played so far was quite remarkable. Camera issues though really bother me... I can get grumpy over that stuff.

This game, I think driven primarily through the animation, has a magical quality to it. It just feels different. Much in the way that Disney movies always had special quality in my mind over the years.

So I'm not hatin' -- was just saying.

This game is sooo good, not just for trico, but I like the puzzle design too.

Does sunhilegend play this game? I imagine you can make tons of great gif from trico.

Get'sMad

Finally picked it up Wednesday (waited to get a Pro before I played) and completed it this afternoon.

what an amazing and beautiful experience. bless you Ueda.

hope

Banned

There is no problem with the Camera or any Input Lag.

Evolved1

There is no problem with the Camera or any Input Lag.
There's always people like you. And then when devs patch their games specifically to address deadzone, input lag, frame pacing, etc it's funny how all you "It's nothing; this is fine" folks never admit you were wrong. Just disappear until the next thread about whatever new game.

All you're doing is announcing to the whole forum you don't know what the hell you're talking about and your opinion on these issues going forward is of no worth.

Trojan

I LOVE SotC and Ico and was really looking forward to TLG. Finally started it this week and honestly I was getting frustrated the first few hours. The controls really are rough...I get that Trico isn't going to control like a Titanfall pilot but I feel like he's often having pathfinding issues and my commands are many times misinterpreted. I struggled those first few hours and was losing patience.

But I've stuck with it and I'm starting to really fall into this game. The relationship with Trico is something I haven't had in a video game in a long time. It's tough to watch him get hit with arrows and I feel like I'm probably petting him an excessive amount. The bond with him grows stronger with each hour and despite the frustrating controls I'm getting hooked.

Glad I stuck with it. I'm sure others many have bounced off it forever for the same reasons so I'm probably fortunate.

It works! I think you can try forcing 720p on your PS4. TLG seems to render the game in 720p too, so you can imagine the performance improvement without having to render 1080p.
Interesting. I have a 720p projector so my consoles are all set to 720p

the game was pretty smooth for me (though with a few outdoor frame rate drops)

Gbraga

I LOVE SotC and Ico and was really looking forward to TLG. Finally started it this week and honestly I was getting frustrated the first few hours. The controls really are rough...I get that Trico isn't going to control like a Titanfall pilot but I feel like he's often having pathfinding issues and my commands are many times misinterpreted. I struggled those first few hours and was losing patience.

But I've stuck with it and I'm starting to really fall into this game. The relationship with Trico is something I haven't had in a video game in a long time. It's tough to watch him get hit with arrows and I feel like I'm probably petting him an excessive amount. The bond with him grows stronger with each hour and despite the frustrating controls I'm getting hooked.

Glad I stuck with it. I'm sure others many have bounced off it forever for the same reasons so I'm probably fortunate.

You're in for a ride. Glad you were able to overlook your issues and stick with it. It's truly a special game in this industry.

It might not be for everyone, but it's unique enough that I have to blindly recommend it because only playing will tell a person if it's for them. I didn't think it was for me for a long time before playing. I'm really glad I got a good pre-order deal, because otherwise I would still be ignoring it and waiting for a big sale or something.

Completed it just now. I give this a 6/10, including 1 extra point because the emotional ending made me feel slightly more sympathic towards it.

I was in to it at the start, willing to forgive the mushy camera but the more I played the more frustrated I got with the controls - meaning controlling the kid himself, sometimes in conjuntion with the camera - I had some truly abysmal moments with climbing Trico when near a wall and not knowing how to get the camera to stop spazzing out as I tried to crawl away from the wall side of Trico but never being able to because the camera would constantly be resetting my moment directions as it warped back in and out so I couldn't see anything but a fuzzy wall or Trico texture.
No game in 2016/7 should control this poorly considering how simplistic the actions were. The kids physics were ugly, all the flopping about - there were a few times when instead of going down a platform I just jumped off because I enjoyed seeing him limping about hurt from the fall - as if it was punishment for all the time I spent wrestling with his horrible moment and camera.

Directing Trico I had very little problem with, once or twice he went back down to a previous platform when I seemed to be taking too long for him to go up to the next one, but other than that he did exactly what I wanted a moment or two after I asked, sometimes without being asked and all I had to do was point the camera in the direction I wanted him to go when I was on his back.

The closer I got to the end, the more I wanted it to finish - by time I was inside the white tower I was over it. Like I said, having watched the ending I feel slightly more sentimental towards it, but the frustration levels before that were through the roof and I'm not one to rage against games, I just felt like my gripes with the game were needless - I had found no fault with the story, premise, ideas - it was the controls and gameplay that let it down for me.

I fail to see where the development time went, this feels like a very old fashioned experience and a short one at that. A PS2 game dressed up in PS3.5 graphics.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Completed it just now. I give this a 6/10, including 1 extra point because the emotional ending made me feel slightly more sympathic towards it.

I was in to it at the start, willing to forgive the mushy camera but the more I played the more frustrated I got with the controls - meaning controlling the kid himself, sometimes in conjuntion with the camera - I had some truly abysmal moments with climbing Trico when near a wall and not knowing how to get the camera to stop spazzing out as I tried to crawl away from the wall side of Trico but never being able to because the camera would constantly be resetting my moment directions as it warped back in and out so I couldn't see anything but a fuzzy wall or Trico texture.
No game in 2016/7 should control this poorly considering how simplistic the actions were. The kids physics were ugly, all the flopping about - there were a few times when instead of going down a platform I just jumped off because I enjoyed seeing him limping about hurt from the fall - as if it was punishment for all the time I spent wrestling with his horrible moment and camera.

Directing Trico I had very little problem with, once or twice he went back down to a previous platform when I seemed to be taking too long for him to go up to the next one, but other than that he did exactly what I wanted a moment or two after I asked, sometimes without being asked and all I had to do was point the camera in the direction I wanted him to go when I was on his back.

The closer I got to the end, the more I wanted it to finish - by time I was inside the white tower I was over it. Like I said, having watched the ending I feel slightly more sentimental towards it, but the frustration levels before that were through the roof and I'm not one to rage against games, I just felt like my gripes with the game were needless - I had found no fault with the story, premise, ideas - it was the controls and gameplay that let it down for me.

I fail to see where the development time went, this feels like a very old fashioned experience and a short one at that. A PS2 game dressed up in PS3.5 graphics.

It wasn't in development for ten years straight. It was basically dropped until the PS4 was an option and because fan demand. Also short? This game is longer than a lot of modern single player games that aren't open world.

gfxtwin

First off, I think an argument can be made that there are several PS2-gen games that hold up to any current gen games. Ico is timeless in the way that Inside and Limbo are. Ninja Gaiden Black is arguably better than most hack n slash action games today, in terms of combat depth and polished mechanics. Psychonauts is still a fun platformer and Half-Life 2 is still a solid shooter and remains ahead of the curve regarding physics implemented w/ a game's environment.

Anyway, the camera spazzed out on me while climbing trico next to a wall too. It was the only time it happened, I feel like it's something that might happens once and then can be completely avoided. I had to hold the joystick forward to keep climbing up and the camera re-oriented itself. That, or holding X to drop down should work fine.

I think an argument can be made that the animations are less "floppy" and more expressive, but that's me.

BS, nothing about this game feels like a ps2 game and the game is gorgeous....no wonder it had issues on ps3.

Never got what "it feels like a PS2 game" even means, it's not any sort of objective measure or even something subjective enough to come off as a substantive point. If the game's development cycle didn't take so long, you'd never hear this, just as you don't hear it levied at other games.

By all means, I understand issues with the game, I just never understood this one as more than a cheap addition to a write up.

Never got what "it feels like a PS2 game" even means, it's not any sort of objective measure or even something subjective enough to come off as a substantive point. If the game's development cycle didn't take so long, you'd never hear this, just as you don't hear it levied at other games.

By all means, I understand issues with the game, I just never understood this one as more than a cheap addition to a write up.

I honestly appreciate that it's starting to become a thing in reviews/previews. A game receiving that "criticism" instantly let's me know that I need to play it.

I honestly appreciate that it's starting to become a thing in reviews/previews. A game receiving that "criticism" instantly let's me know that I need to play it.
Eh, two way street for me. Like I said, I don't even understand how to identify a game like that because it's not a concrete statement.

I guess nostalgia is a good thing in this case though.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm still playing the game and I can already feel that attachment early into the game. It is really really good. I love the art style and visually I love it. I have HDR on. Not sure what it would look like with that off, but either way, I can see why a PS3 couldn't have run it.

alt27

Finished it the other day and got to say probabloy one of the best games I have played in 10 years,.

Gorgeous art style, and Trico is probbaly the best character I have met in a videogame. Very emotional and masterfuly designed game. Sound effects and music were great too.

Yes there were some flaws. I didnt get all the complaints about camera to be honest. Sure there were maybe like 2 or 3 times the entire game it got a little frustrating for me but thats acceptable. I only noticed frame rate issue a few times as well.

Bravo to Ueda san.

Coxy100

Banned
Quick question...tempted to buy this but I'm one of those people who suffer with a hairdryer PS4.

This looks like a game that might cause it to go airplane mode. Anyone who suffers with the hairdryer PS4 - does this game do it too?

myco666

Always thought that was more of an compliment. As in that the game doesn't use standardized control layout and has bunch of quirks making it more unique.

Quick question...tempted to buy this but I'm one of those people who suffer with a hairdryer PS4.

This looks like a game that might cause it to go airplane mode. Anyone who suffers with the hairdryer PS4 - does this game do it too?

I don't have that loud PS4 but for example Doom, Deus Ex and SFV makes my PS4 waay louder than TLG. TLG is rather quiet.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Loving this game so far, despite the annoying camera at times.

I just had this happen:

When Trico and the boy climb to the top of one area, and the other Trico attacks Trico and knocks him and the boy way down and they crash through the floor.

How much longer is there still to go?

Milijango

Loving this game so far, despite the annoying camera at times.

I just had this happen:

When Trico and the boy climb to the top of one area, and the other Trico attacks Trico and knocks him and the boy way down and they crash through the floor.

How much longer is there still to go?

I would say you're about halfway through.

Top Bottom