• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

darkvir

I got back into trying to play. The initial control issue had frustrated. The camera input was so slow. It's feels better now (1.03??), and I'm fully immersed in the game now, really some great moments and the relationship between the two is really growing, great stuff!

Just played the first hour or so, really enjoying it. Trico is fascinating to watch and interact with. What a stellar job they did animating that thing. Game is beautiful too.

Absolutely not digging the controls in this game, though. The deadzone on the sticks on PS4 is huge and I'm constantly having to fight for control of the camera because of the aggressive auto-center. And this is with a patch applied to make it better? Wow.

But despite the frustrating camera/controls and the bad framerate at times (base PS4) I'm looking forward to carrying on.

BruceCLea

Banned
Just finished it. Can't stop crying. I don't know what's wrong with me. I love that relationship so much.

Ugh. I'm a mess. What the fuck is going on?

c0Zm1c

I've just finished a second play through. I figured the problems that others have had with Trico's AI might surface, or the control issues be more apparent on a second time through but really it's still just the framerate that's disappointing for me. While I think Shadow of the Colossus is perhaps still the better 'game', The Last Guardian has been a much more profound experience. It's an outstanding achievement really.

Gbraga

I've just finished a second play through. I figured the problems that others have had with Trico's AI might surface, or the control issues be more apparent on a second time through but really it's still just the framerate that's disappointing for me. While I think Shadow of the Colossus is perhaps still the better 'game', The Last Guardian has been a much more profound experience. It's an outstanding achievement really.

Did you try running it at 720p?

In case you're ok with that, of course.

I started this last night. I had to turn the camera down to just about zero to play and after a wee bit of time managed to get used to it so far. I am playing on a pro (1080TV) and I stopped just after
crawling through the first hole after meeting Trico and freeing him from the chain.
I am only a few minutes in but it looks absolutely gorgeous so far, cant wait to see where this game takes me!! :)

I finished it.

I found the game super frustrating pretty much the whole way through. I'm sad I didn't enjoy it more like some of you.

End game spoilers:

Did they ever explain what the master of the valley is? Or what any of this is? Why the kid was chosen, etc?

Weird question but does anybody know what font is used on the main menu/pause menu?
Try this with a screenshot
https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Did they ever explain what the master of the valley is? Or what any of this is? Why the kid was chosen, etc?
Master of the valley, the narrator mentions, is the blob in the cage.

The kids was chosen to become food for the master as you see the other Trico depositing children on the roof in return for barrels of goo. The goo could either be byproduct of the child processing, some sort of butterfly soup, or the stuff that the Trico encase the children in when they swallow them - like an amniotic sack.

wouwie

I finished my 2nd playthrough a couple of days ago. The camera, framerate (original PS4) and controls of the boy (especially when on Trico's neck and head) annoyed me more than in my first playthrough but that was to be expected (since the rest of the experience wasn't new anymore). I'd love to play it on a Pro (better framerate) and without control prompts (it needs an option to remove those) someday in the future.

The past month, i haven't stopped thinking about The Last Guardian. It's one of my favourite video game stories (especially that ending) and Trico is one of my favourite video game characters. For that, i wil always remember this game and cherish it in my memory. I'm sure i will replay the game in the future just to see Trico again.

Also, just before the ending started,
on the platform overlooking the Nest
, i petted Trico, it lied down, completely stretched out with his head resting on the floor, and closed it's eyes. That was awesome and something i hadn't seen before.

graybot

When are the NPD results for December out?

Was listening to Podcast Beyond and Brian Altano was saying it didn’t even chart. But I hadn’t seen the results posted yet

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
When are the NPD results for December out?

Was listening to Podcast Beyond and Brian Altano was saying it didn’t even chart. But I hadn’t seen the results posted yet

I wouldn't be that surprised in a sense because it was in December going against stuff like FF XV as well as all the other heavy hitters that got price drops and the other massive sales going on.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally got to finish the game. Wow this must be my favorite Ueda game at the moment, also very powerful ending.

HStallion

I believe there is very likely something left. Anyone following the spoiler thread knows some of the curious stuff pointed out.

The tricky part is whether or not to rule out certain things that are likely left over from various iterations or simply world dressing.

Just finished it and I loved it. Despite all its gameplay issues -as I'm sure have been mentioned countless times here- the highs of the game are some of the highest I've played in the past decade. Incredibly emotional (the ending got me.) Outstanding art design and tech. Trico is undoubtably a massive and important accomplishment

darkvir

hugocésar;228629945 said:
Just finished it and I loved it. Despite all its gameplay issues -as I'm sure have been mentioned countless times here- the highs of the game are some of the highest I've played in the past decade. Incredibly emotional (the ending got me.) Outstanding art design and tech. Trico is undoubtably a massive and important accomplishment

Came to say this. Simply stunning.

Finished the game last night,

• Fantastic animation and visuals for Trico
  • Liked the setting of the game
  • Music was great
  • Some really good puzzles

But

• The camera in the game is awful and annoyed me so much
  • Trico didn't follow my instructions a lot of the time even for simple tasks like jumping over a wall. It took me near 20 minutes to get him to
    dive into the cavern in the under water section (where it looks like the boy drowns)
  • The controls were also frustrating.
  • Ending did nothing for me, maybe i didn't understand it?

Overall good game but I'll never play this again,

I'll never play it again, but it goes down as one of the greatest of all time in my eyes.

I can't help you with feeling the ending, though, sorry

Dice//

Banned
I got a bit sad with the collector's statue for Last Guardian. Trico looked amazing (and the boy serviceable for his size) but the "grass" looked cheap and awful.

So I added it on my own!
AuiEfdwl.jpg

oXsv62ul.jpg

It looks a lot more cozy! :D

I have been playing this for couple of hours now on regular PS4 and it certainly has that something that both ICO and SOTC had before it. I am of course talking about the terrible framerate, motion blur and input lag combination which is making me sick. I love the puzzles and Trico especially so far, but not sure if my stomach and head can handle it. I barely made it throught SOTC back in the days (can't remember about ICO, it has been 15 years since I last played it), but I even struggled a new game plus (or something like that) in SOTC just because the game was so nice.

I am thinking about just giving up and playing it on a PS4 Pro sometime in the future (or perhaps never?) in solid 30FPS, which might give me much better experience. :/

edit: Might try running it 720p if that makes difference

Wasp

Can anyone help me get out of this room? Spent a couple of hours stuck in here and can not fathom how to proceed.

It's the room with wooden walkways above, after Trico jumps the broken bridge. I've let Trico in the room by pulling the chain but don't know what to do next.

Steroyd

Fuck this game, got up to the part where
Trico "eats" you a second time and shows how far he would go to try and revive my lifeless body.
I am now officially emotionally invested despite steeling myself for what is essentially a story about a boy and his dog and I've been through this song and dance before.

Fuck this game, got up to the part where
Trico "eats" you a second time and shows how far he would go to try and revive my lifeless body.
I am now officially emotionally invested despite steeling myself for what is essentially a story about a boy and his dog and I've been through this song and dance before.

Oh don't worry nothing else of consequence happens, your emotions will be fine.

/S

Gbraga

I have been playing this for couple of hours now on regular PS4 and it certainly has that something that both ICO and SOTC had before it. I am of course talking about the terrible framerate, motion blur and input lag combination which is making me sick. I love the puzzles and Trico especially so far, but not sure if my stomach and head can handle it. I barely made it throught SOTC back in the days (can't remember about ICO, it has been 15 years since I last played it), but I even struggled a new game plus (or something like that) in SOTC just because the game was so nice.

I am thinking about just giving up and playing it on a PS4 Pro sometime in the future (or perhaps never?) in solid 30FPS, which might give me much better experience. :/

edit: Might try running it 720p if that makes difference

Try it and tell us your experience with 720p! I still didn't get to test it myself.

Can anyone help me get out of this room? Spent a couple of hours stuck in here and can not fathom how to proceed.

It's the room with wooden walkways above, after Trico jumps the broken bridge. I've let Trico in the room by pulling the chain but don't know what to do next.

You need to have Trico prop himself up along the wall at the end of the walkway in the picture. You do that by commanding him to jump when you are near the wall. Climb him to get to the next area.

HStallion

You need to have Trico prop himself up along the wall in the picture. You do that by commanding him to jump. You climb him to get to the next area.

The jump command isn't the right command and might cause some issues. There is a take action command that works more often and more effectively in my experience. Not saying jump might not work but R1 + O is the general Trico action command.

The jump command isn't the right command and might cause some issues. There is a take action command that works more often and more effectively in my experience. Not saying jump might not work but R1 + O is the general Trico action command.

I almost never use R1 + O and never had any issues with Trico not doing what I want. I would try both of them Wasp. Trico usually looks at where you need to go next so use him as a clue.

c0Zm1c

You need to have Trico prop himself up along the wall at the end of the walkway in the picture. You do that by commanding him to jump when you are near the wall. Climb him to get to the next area.

I almost never use R1 + O and never had any issues with Trico not doing what I want. I would try both of them Wasp. Trico usually looks at where you need to go next so use him as a clue.

Just pointing towards that wall (R1 + stick) and keeping the camera on where I wanted to go worked for me. That actually worked in nearly all cases where I needed to get Trico to do something.

KORNdoggy

Finished this tonight and i loved every second of it. my favorite "team ico" game by far, and a perfect ending. Game looked beautiful too.

If i had to raise a complaint it would be the camera. But its understandable when you have such a huge creature in very small spaces.

I do wish they would either release a 1400p downsampled version for PRO though, or at least let us choose the 4k version. Just to clean up some of the shimmering edges, especially on grass. Photomode would be amazing too, but i don't see that happening.

HStallion

Obviously a lot of what's in this pic isn't important for this thread but TLG managed to get into the top ten sales for the PS4 in December which is pretty impressive considering the competition it was facing from games like FF XV and other heavy hitters that had released the months prior, many getting price cuts. So I'd call this a pretty big success for TLG, Ueda, Gen Design and Sony all things considered.

Beautiful game marred by camera controls and other technical concerns.

Though my experience was lessened by - fear of heights. This is never normally been a problem form me in games before, but something about the janky and unreliable camera and imprecise controls just made all the vertigo worse.

Maybe that's what they were going for intentionally, idk, but it gave me a real unpleasant / unsettled feeling for like 90% of the game.

Obviously a lot of what's in this pic isn't important for this thread but TLG managed to get into the top ten sales for the PS4 in December which is pretty impressive considering the competition it was facing from games like FF XV and other heavy hitters that had released the months prior, many getting price cuts. So I'd call this a pretty big success for TLG, Ueda, Gen Design and Sony all things considered.
And there were so many glad to call it total bomba.
Anyway, never thought the ot would reach 100 pages. It's amazing

HStallion

I actually expected more OT activity. It really puts things in perspective when this isn't exactly a mass appeal game even inside GAF.

Well the OT has over 300K views now and is well past 5000 posts and for a single player only game with no kinds of real RPG elements, branching paths, open world and not a hint of expansions, DLC, MP I think that's pretty decent. That and most posts at this point are people just stopping by once to say they love the game and the occasional post saying they don't or talking about the issues.

Mifune

Mehmber
I feel like I'm nearing the end of this game. It has taken a while because my wife likes to watch me play. I'm at the part right after
you and Trico take an elevator up to a large circular room FULL of those creepy knights
. Definitely one of the more challenging parts for me so far.

Anyway, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's an astonishing game. There are times when I'm moved simply by the beauty of it all. I look forward to finishing it so I can join in the spoiler discussion but I also don't want it to end. There's never been anything like it, warts and all (and of course there are warts), and there probably won't be anything like it again.

Top Bottom