• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I feel like I'm nearing the end of this game. It has taken a while because my wife likes to watch me play. I'm at the part right after
you and Trico take an elevator up to a large circular room FULL of those creepy knights
. Definitely one of the more challenging parts for me so far.

Anyway, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's an astonishing game. There are times when I'm moved simply by the beauty of it all. I look forward to finishing it so I can join in the spoiler discussion but I also don't want it to end. There's never been anything like it, warts and all (and of course there are warts), and there probably won't be anything like it again.

You are close and its going to get even better.

Gbraga

Well the OT has over 300K views now and is well past 5000 posts and for a single player only game with no kinds of real RPG elements, branching paths, open world and not a hint of expansions, DLC, MP I think that's pretty decent. That and most posts at this point are people just stopping by once to say they love the game and the occasional post saying they don't or talking about the issues.

You're right, I didn't think about it from that perspective.

The length also makes it so a lot of people will only post it after they're finished, rather than participating for weeks while they're going thorugh the game.

I myself only started posting after beating it.

I guess we'll see how it fares in the GOTY results. That will be a better gauge of its popularity on GAF.

I'm ready to say it got robbed when Uncharted 4 or Overwatch wins GOTY.

I feel like I'm nearing the end of this game. It has taken a while because my wife likes to watch me play. I'm at the part right after
you and Trico take an elevator up to a large circular room FULL of those creepy knights
. Definitely one of the more challenging parts for me so far.

Anyway, there's not much I can say that hasn't already been said. It's an astonishing game. There are times when I'm moved simply by the beauty of it all. I look forward to finishing it so I can join in the spoiler discussion but I also don't want it to end. There's never been anything like it, warts and all (and of course there are warts), and there probably won't be anything like it again.

Yes, you should be able to finish it in your next session.
Brace yourselves.

dan2026

Finished it the other day. A good game.

I wish the boy didn't control like he was made of lead weights.
This has to be one of the most frustratingly imprecise platformers I have played.

It's little things like that that stop this game short of greatness.

Mifune

Mehmber
You are close and its going to get even better.

Yes, you should be able to finish it in your next session.
Brace yourselves.

Ohhh boy.

I have to say the second half of the game has really been pretty extraordinary, starting with
the steel cage sequence
. Some awesome setpieces which I was not expecting.

And maybe the most artful, delicate, and poetic cutscenes. Ueda is a great storyteller.

HStallion

Finished it the other day. A good game.

I wish the boy didn't control like he was made of lead weights.
This has to be one of the most frustratingly imprecise platformers I have played.

It's little things like that that stop this game short of greatness.

Its a YMMV thing but I loved the platforming because of the controls lol. The frame rate and camera are of course issues but I found a unique rhythm to the controls and gameplay and was often bouncing around and through a lot of the platforming sections. There was one part near the end that was a pain but that felt like me over extending what the boy could do and realized to hold back and take it slow.

Then again I enjoyed the barrel throwing puzzles lol

Just finished it. If I had to rank the ICO games:

SOTC>TLG>>>>ICO

I kinda liked it. I found the story to be...weird. The best part of the game was their bond. I don't really know what to say about the gameplay. It definitelt made the game less enjoyable with the controls and climbing. Ending kinda sucked, felt like there was still many pieces of the story/plot still not told correctly. And Trico's AI was frustrating the entire time, especially at the last 2 hours.

Playing this makes me want another Shadow of the Colossus game tho.

dan2026

Fucking barrels.

'Imma throw it up here (rolls back down)

Got it to the top finally (rolls back down)

KORNdoggy

Just finished it. If I had to rank the ICO games:

SOTC>TLG>>>>ICO

I kinda liked it. I found the story to be...weird. The best part of the game was their bond. I don't really know what to say about the gameplay. It definitelt made the game less enjoyable with the controls and climbing. Ending kinda sucked, felt like there was still many pieces of the story/plot still not told correctly. And Trico's AI was frustrating the entire time, especially at the last 2 hours.

Playing this makes me want another Shadow of the Colossus game tho.

never had issues with trico's AI. at least past the realization that spamming commands actually cancels out the previous one and just prolongs the entire thing. once i realized you give him one command and leave him, he was great. the last couple of hours i stopped having to direct him at all. i'd climb up on his back and he'd automatically start leaping up structures with no direction. it was quite the moment. felt like our bond had grown to the point he understood what i wanted to do before even asking.

UrbanRats

Finished this last night.

Small premise:
SotC is in my top 5 games of all time without a doubt, and while Ico was an amazing experience (played it on d1), i came to really dislike that game for anything but the audiovisual department, a truly frustrating experience for several reasons.
So i was expecting to come out of TLG with mixed feelings, because i knew it was closer to Ico than SOTC, which holds true.

Despite that, i'd rank the games like so:
SOTC > TLG > ICO.

Playing on a regular PS4 was unfortunately a less than pleasant experience, technically speaking, the framerate was just abysmally bad all throughtout.
I'm aware that SotC used to be just as bad, but i guess my standards have changed significantly.
There were moments where i had to stop playing because the framerate was making me ill, and others where i thought the game was about to crash (never did, thankfully).
Another big problem was the camera, not only unwieldy but also with some weird accelleration that you can't get rid of, even by adjusting sensitivity.
It never managed to impact my enjoyment that much though, because the game was very slow paced.
What did impact my enjoyment greatly, were the controls for the kid.
Let me cut to the chase here, it controls like shit; don't give me none of that "it's bad on purpose" bollocks either, ICO and SOTC also has weird controls, and young characters, but they weren't this sloppy and slow to react, and especially weren't this stupidly automated.
Why make the grappling not manual (or at least offer a choice) like in SOTC, i don't get, it would've made things more interesting too, in the instances where i'm just on Trico's back for a long stretch, having to find places on her body i can rest, like in SOTC.
It also had that R* games level of response, that makes you feel like you're dragging the character with a rope, rather than controlling them.
Also, please patch out those button prompts, i'm 5 hours into the game, i don't need to be reminded how to jump by a huge ass box on the screen, preventing me to take cool screenshots.

Now when it comes to Trico, i can't say it ever gave me major trouble, there were a couple of instances where i had to repeat commands for a couple of minutes, but they were rare, and honestly, with the mindset that Trico is a stubborn animal, they didn't feel frustrating at all to me, reminded me of my asshole cats.

Last thing i want to complain about is the ending,
while it was cool, i was expecting some gameplay gimmick like SOTC had, but it didn't happen, oh well.

As for what i liked, well i liked everything else.
I loved Trico's animations and how alive it feels (really uncanny shit) i like the whole audiovisual department, the sense of progression in the rapport between the two characters, i liked that it has much better set pieces than Uncharted 4, more cleverly interactive, too.
I loved the puzzles, never got stuck (except once, where Trico wouldn't trigger an action i had already understood how to do) but never felt like i was just going through the motions (speaking of Uncharted).
Above all though, i love the sense of scale they managed to pull off.
When Trico has you on her back and she's jumping on those massive pillar/towers, one after the other, it just feels like nothing i've experiences before, bigger than God of War 3, bigger than SotC.
It's not about the size itself, but how effectively they are able to convey it through a small 2d rectangle, and TLG does it better than anything else i've seen, and i'd include films in this.
It just felt so odd, in a very, very good way.

Also, i'm not the kind of person the cry at every other dog movie (or at all with media, really) and this was no different, but i'd be lying if i said i didn't feel attached to the two characters, by the end, and wanted things to end up good for them.
That's no surprise though, it happened with ICO, and it happened with SOTC... i guess isolating you with two characters that animate so vividly, is bound to create a mental bond.

I'd go ahead and call it my 2016 GOTY, but with that framerate, i don't think that's in any way acceptable shit in the year of out lord 2016/7.

Lime

FYI, the game sold 250k according to NPD in December (i.e. US only).

In comparison;

Ico managed to sell 127k after 10 months on the market.

Shadow of the Colossus sold 94k in its launch month.

c0Zm1c

Well, SotC isn't as bad as TLG on the framerate department. It's worse. Much worse. 10FPS below it on average -worse.

Which version? In my experience, the original PS2 version of SotC is at least on par with TLG (running on a standard PS4 at 1080p, that is). The framerate chugged considerably while fighting Colossus 15. However, the PS3 HD version is a lot better. I only recall maybe a couple of points where the framerate appeared to drop in that version, and it's much smoother than TLG.

Gbraga

High five!

They're fun as hell.

In comparison;

That makes me so happy :D

I'm not expecting it to make them a bunch of money because of the long development time, but if it sells enough for them to think that a new Ueda game with a more resonable development cycle would be profitable, I'm satisfied.

I just can't think of a better partner than Sony, and I don't want them making indie games, unless they specifically want to do that.

In comparison;

Excellent!
Glad to see healthy sales for TLG.

It's an SP game so I don't expect long legs but that's a nice debut figure.

Which version? In my experience, the original PS2 version of SotC is at least on par with TLG (running on a standard PS4 at 1080p, that is). The framerate chugged considerably while fighting Colossus 15. However, the PS3 HD version is a lot better. I only recall maybe a couple of points where the framerate appeared to drop in that version, and it's much smoother than TLG.

Well, obviously I'm talking about the original. Even a Collection vs TLG on PS4 Pro would be an unfair comparison.

UrbanRats

Well, SotC isn't as bad as TLG on the framerate department. It's worse. Much worse. 10FPS below it on average -worse.
As I said, I believe that, but my standards have changed over time evidently, because the framrate in TLG is what I would consider "unacceptable" for a finished product.

Seeing as how the pro version runs fine at 1080p, it must be mainly a GPU problem, so I would happily take a 900p res hit, to get the game more stable on ps4.

In comparison;

That's nice to hear, we definitely need more Ueda games.
I want him to take another stab at open world though, SotC came close to uncovering something really special about that platform that no other game could.
It only needed the Colossi to be non linearly revealed to be just perfect.

c0Zm1c

Well, obviously I'm talking about the original. Even a Collection vs TLG on PS4 Pro would be an unfair comparison.

I guess, but the performance you were describing, with respect to how TLG performs, made it sound more like the HD version than the original.

Frillen

Obviously a lot of what's in this pic isn't important for this thread but TLG managed to get into the top ten sales for the PS4 in December which is pretty impressive considering the competition it was facing from games like FF XV and other heavy hitters that had released the months prior, many getting price cuts. So I'd call this a pretty big success for TLG, Ueda, Gen Design and Sony all things considered.

Calling anything a success at number 9 without any numbers is premature.

HStallion

Calling anything a success at number 9 without any numbers is premature.

I was expecting it to barely make it into the top 20 so make it in at #9 is an outstanding success to me. As I said it was going up against games like FF XV as well as all the other heavy hitter AAA games, MP shooters, and constant list toppers like GTAV, many of which had severe price cuts or were apart of larger sales. Not too mention larger ad budgets and coming from name brand developers and series. Yeah I'd call it a success and others were already estimating it sold over 200K based on its place and the games around it so that puts it well ahead of Ueda's last two games and this isn't counting that it was doing decently in places like Japan.

I'd go ahead and call it my 2016 GOTY, but with that framerate, i don't think that's in any way acceptable shit in the year of out lord 2016/7.

You're right - and it's more unacceptable that Sony released a 2 tiered experience, where the "deluxe version" has a stable frame rate. I played on a pro and its great but it frustrates me that there are players that bought TWO consoles to play this game, but to play it properly were expected to buy a third.

In comparison;

Awesome news and thanks for the comparison data. So - dumbing it down for a dullard like me - the game will at least make back its budget yes?

Number45

What an absolutely fantastic game. Really surprised (and REALLY happy) with the way it was closed out. <3

There's no way I'm getting that fucking platinum though. D:

HStallion

Awesome news and thanks for the comparison data. So - dumbing it down for a dullard like me - the game will at least make back its budget yes?

Well the game wasn't being worked on for this entire time so that isn't an issue and Gen Design is not a large studio by any means. There are indie studios as big if not bigger than Gen Design.

Also Ueda stated that he doesn't need anywhere near a AAA budget but he requires more than the average indie game so it doesn't sound like he needs tons of money though of course the shakey development history might have bloated his normally smaller budget to larger levels.

Gbraga

What an absolutely fantastic game. Really surprised (and REALLY happy) with the way it was closed out. <3

There's no way I'm getting that fucking platinum though. D:

Make sure to vote for GAF GOTY, if you feel it deserves a spot in your top 10!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327924

It's about to wrap up.

I never voted for GAF GOTY before, but this game made me want to. I want to help it get the recognition it deserves.

I also feel just as strongly about Bloodborne, but that game didn't need any help to place well, haha.

JJShadow

I'm right after
the part where you have to dive with Trico twice and the boy faints underwater
. How much do I have till the end? Don't really want to finish it, it's so fucking good

Ok, so how bad is performance on a base PS4? I've had this game since Christmas, but haven't played it yet, because I was waiting to purchase a Pro first. Thing is, that purchase is still a few months off and I really want to play this now. Should I just wait or is the performance acceptable on a standard PS4 console?

Gbraga

Ok, so how bad is performance on a base PS4? I've had this game since Christmas, but haven't played it yet, because I was waiting to purchase a Pro first. Thing is, that purchase is still a few months off and I really want to play this now. Should I just wait or is the performance acceptable on a standard PS4 console?

It's bad, but it's absolutely worth it.

You could also play it at 720p on the base PS4 if you'd prefer a more stable framerate over resolution.

Number45

Just played it through on the standard PS4 without too many hitches in performance. They are there and there's the occasional hitch that's quite bad but at no point did I consider it a problem enough to detract from the experience.

Wimps

Just finished the game. Holy shit what a ride it's been. Don't think a video game made me feel these things before. One of my most memorable experiences ever. Thank you!

Haines

Banned
I remember complaints this game was short at launch but me and the wifey still haven't finished it.

It's painfully obvious were near the end but this game does not have length problems at all.

I keep hearing shadow of the callous was better so I will have to consider buying it for ps3 bc this game is amazing.

vpance

Somehow I missed all the Trico commands, aside from figuring out that you can point him to go forward, so I was stuck at a certain part for 5 mins where you need to use R1+O, and had to google it.

Meanwhile, these incessant Grip/Pull/Climb pop ups never go away. Something about that pissed me off a bit, lol

I remember complaints this game was short at launch but me and the wifey still haven't finished it.

It's painfully obvious were near the end but this game does not have length problems at all.

I keep hearing shadow of the callous was better so I will have to consider buying it for ps3 bc this game is amazing.

I think it's on sale on the flash sale on PSN, for like... 3 bucks? It's not really better though - they're completely different genres so mileage will vary. Both masterpieces.

Haines

Banned
I think it's on sale on the flash sale on PSN, for like... 3 bucks? It's not really better though - they're completely different genres so mileage will vary. Both masterpieces.

Is that version the best version? I might have to dig my ps3 out if the closet and hook it up to dl it

Is that version the best version? I might have to dig my ps3 out if the closet and hook it up to dl it

I mean - overall, absolutely. It would be hard to go back to the PS2 version because the framerate is 20fps. It's an absolutely outstanding HD rendition of the game.

The major catch though is the grip model has become much more frustrating. I've heard several theories - EU version of the game, more consistent framerate has changes the way the grip works - but regardless, I know at least 3 people that didn't really enjoy the game and stopped playing because they found it frustrating, and I really know what they mean. Wander flops around on the colossi much more than he does on the PS2. That being said, the game is an absolute must play and looks absolutely gorgeous in Bluepoint's version. It's a must experience piece of videogame history.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I just finished it and didn't find it short at all. I loved it from start to finish. Masterpiece.

SubbieD

It's for 39 USD on Amazon India, i'm on a base PS4, should I pick it up? Have the frame rate issues been sorted? I'm not an FPS hoe but definitely have issues under 20 :p

Milijango

It's for 39 USD on Amazon India, i'm on a base PS4, should I pick it up? Have the frame rate issues been sorted? I'm not an FPS hoe but definitely have issues under 20 :p

Frame drops still happen all the time. It doesn't really get in the way of gameplay (the camera does though) and the outside environments look gorgeous, but it the performance is far from good.

I'd say it's well worth it though.

Gbraga

Judging by your avatar, you can excuse performance issues when the game is as brilliant as this, so go for it. :p

Chao

Just finished it.

Liked it, but not loved it.

Controls and camera were super frustrating, and Trico's AI was kinda dumb sometimes. Gameplay was mostly "get on Trico's back and look for a path to go on" and the very few puzzles consisted in "get off trico's back, find a way around and pull a lever to open the big gate so trico can get in too"

The friendship between Trico and the kid was really cool, and liked some elements of the world, but honestly it was way too slow paced and there wasn't enough "game" to keep me interested for long sessions.

It's important that games like these exist, but it could have been way better.

Top Bottom