• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Finally playing through this game with the girlfriend after putting it off so long and I am loving it (except the camera which is garbage). This game is beautiful and engaging and just hits all the right buttons for me.

Quick question: We just finished the
puzzle about getting out of the building after Trico falling and the kid being stuck in the tree
. How far are we into the game? We want to finish it tonight but I don't know if that is do-able!

Finally playing through this game with the girlfriend after putting it off so long and I am loving it (except the camera which is garbage). This game is beautiful and engaging and just hits all the right buttons for me.

puzzle about getting out of the building after Trico falling and the kid being stuck in the tree
. How far are we into the game? We want to finish it tonight but I don't know if that is do-able!

More like 40% than 50.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You've got over half the game to finish. Unless you are playing for a long time its probably going to take more than one session to finish.

Ydelnae

I started the game a few days ago and while I like it, it's really infuriating. The underwater section was awful and the section just after, the one with the
rolling cell
made me question if this game was tested before being released to the public.

The game should allow you to see what option does Trico have when you are trying to jump, because having to wait until the AI decides that you should move forward is not fun, and it's not a video game. It's a pain in the ass.

c0Zm1c

I started the game a few days ago and while I like it, it's really infuriating. The underwater section was awful and the section just after, the one with the
rolling cell
made me question if this game was tested before being released to the public.

The game should allow you to see what option does Trico have when you are trying to jump, because having to wait until the AI decides that you should move forward is not fun, and it's not a video game. It's a pain in the ass.

That part is easy. You just need to focus on the
shape of the lift to know where to move inside of it to roll it in the direction you need to go.

Alpha_eX

A few hours in and I really wish this had some more time in the oven. Framerate all over the place and sometimes Trico is just so unresponsive it makes me want to stop playing.

How can I disable the HUD? Hours in, it does not need to show three giant prompts while on a ledge, I know the buttons.

Jesus fucking christ this game can be terribad when it at it's worse. Just spent like 30 minutes trying to get the goddamn tail down when I first dropped to the waters because the tail kept clipping on every piece of environment there was. Finally got out of that pickle. My hands hurt. I try to love you game but you are really making it super difficult here. I swear to god if the last boss of this game is not going to be a gigantic fucking Playstation 4 controller I am going to be so disappointed.

I just started playing this, and holy fuck is it amazing. I'm not sensitive to the camera issues because I experienced Shadow of the Colossus and Ico first hand. I need to beat the game first before judging it, but my initial reaction is that it was worth the wait. Trico feels like a real lovable creature and am constantly surprised by how it reacts.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
How the fuck do you get Trico to dive?

I kinda thought I'd made him do it with an R1 command when he was above the water on a peak, or when he was in the water, I climbed on his back in a certain spot depending on the area and performed an R1 command. Seemed a bit hit or miss.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Man, I love Ueda's previous games, and I want to love this. But boy is it an exercise in frustration. Yesterday I nearly gave up after an hour of hinky barrel physics, followed by another half hour of shouting at Trico trying to get him to jump in the back of that dark cave.

Currently, I'm stuck trying to get Trico to go through an underwater gate - I've opened the gate, I've figured out how to get him to dive perhaps one time out of every twelve attempts, but he won't pass through with me riding him. He will pass through happily by himself. But the moment I'm on him he treads water at the gate then turns around and comes back up.

This is typical of my experience of the game - every time you have a beautiful set piece or platforming section out in the captivating open air castle sections, it's quickly followed by an hour of numbing grappling with Trico or the game's dreadful physics, or the game's dreadful camera, usually in dark small rooms.

The frustration is never figuring out the puzzle, always attempting to overcome the controls to execute on the solution - and as in my current situation, it's usually unclear if you're dealing with a glitch or doing something wrong.

I didnt have any of the issues you're describing. Use R1+ left stick to direct Trico's attention when he's looking at the boy.

I just did the dive thing on my second try, just climb on his head and press R1+O. He needs to be a bit off the wall otherwise he won't get through the gate. Let him go to the ground, then R1+O and R1+O when he is at the middle of the water.

Surprisingly easy considering it took me 6 minutes to get him roll the cogwheel in the previous segment properly.

Just struggled through that part a few hours ago. Really the only part of the game that made me actually mad and frustrated. I was ALMOST ready to give up.

Anyway, go to the surface of where the ladder is, call him over, hop on his head when he is there facing the ladder and just hold R1 and mash Circle. That was my tactic. Just make sure you're hanging on when he finally dives... I wasn't.

You may try others suggestions but on my two playthroughs I was just in front of the door with Trico facing towards it, I aimed the camera onto the door deep in the water and just pressed R1 and pointed with the L stick, it worked instantly on both times.

God dammit Trico.
I got to the high up wooden platforms where you knock over the weird stain glass eyes on rollers. The moment where you're running along the wall as it collapses and leap towards Trico, missing his mouth and catching his tail was magic. My friend wanted to see the game and I felt like this was an excellent part to show off. I explain the basic controls, and my friend plays through the short sequence, does everything perfectly, and instinctively jumps at Trico as the game intended. Except nothing happened. The game went into slow motion and Trico made no attempt to save him. Twice. Magic destroyed.

Just finished it. The controls could be infuriating at times, but that doesn't stop this from being one my favorite games....EVER. I will definitely be one my most memorable gaming experiences.

Raitaro

Just finished it. The controls could be infuriating at times, but that doesn't stop this from being one my favorite games....EVER. I will definitely be one my most memorable gaming experiences.

I'm making my way through it these past few days and I agree 100% with what you said.

The sense of scale in the environment along with the small touches like the doves and lizards make this game world feel alive and lived-in like pretty much no other. I mean, the Souls games have great art direction, scale and lived-in-ness as well, as do some of the Zelda games and games like Nier (and hopefully its sequel) but nothing to me manages to surpass what Ueda and his team has crafted here (except his earlier two games arguably).

The overall atmosphere is fantastic too, as are the character animations and Trico's behaviour that truly makes him seem alive. I can't wait to see what kind of environmental challenges and puzzles the game will throw at me next as each one so far has been really fun to figure out with plenty of "crap, I forgot Trico can be my moving platform when I need him to be" or "oh yeah, I can use the boy's small size to my advantage here" moments that continue to surprise me.

That said, it is a very frustrating game to play as well, far more so for me than Ico or SotC imo. It's not even Trico that causes my frustration as he generally seems to do what I want him to do (unlike for some here it seems). No, for me it's controlling the boy himself. Ueda's games always have had very elaborate animations and clingy climbing / holding on to things mechanics and such but in this game, half of the time I can't get the boy to jump off of Trico because he keeps grabbing on again. Maybe a dedicated (SotC style) "hold to grab" button would have been better?

Walking and running - i.e. the most basic stuff imaginable - feels unnecessarily sluggish and unresponsive with a seemingly large deadzone on the stick causing the boy to tip toe endlessly unless you yank it farther. I have no idea why the tip toeing is even in the game as so far I have not been able to use it to avoid enemies.

Finally, the camera is quite weird as well. Sometimes it's responsive and cooperative but other times it either stutters or gets stuck inside things, the latter especially when being on Trico in tight spaces. This one is probably the hardest to fix due to the continuous switching between the boy's size and Trico's so I'm giving them some leeway here, but still, the game would have been a better experience if the camera had worked a bit better.

Oh and the constant button prompts, while bafflingly obtrusive at first, have stopped bothering me for the most part actually because the controls remain somewhat unintuitive and vague so I don't mind being reminded which button does what once in a while (although why the specific commands you can give Trico are never really mentioned is beyond me...). I feel that some button functions could have been combined perhaps to create a slightly more streamlined control scheme.

I really, really hope Ueda('s studio) and Sony will team up once more to create a fourth game, preferably one that continues on SotC's path more in the sense that you control someone with a weapon that has to traverse open landscapes. The intro to SotC alone is still unmatched for me when it comes to a game creating that sense of adventure of a lone rider riding along rocky outcrops and narrow roads. It (along with The Last Guardian for that matter) exude that same atmosphere that older children's movies like The Last Unicorn, The Dark Crystal and Neverending Story had in spades, the kind that nowadays is mostly replaced by humor and memes. Fingers crossed that TLG won't be one of the last games to have this so strongly.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Hey guys, loving the game but am on a very tight time shedule nowadays -- curious as to how far I am, percentage wise.

Just reached the area where Trico jumps in the water for the first time, and there's a vent at the bottom of a deep pool that I can't seem to figure out how to reach.

Edit: Hmm... close to the part from the posters above, so maybe I'm at %50?

Hey guys, loving the game but am on a very tight time shedule nowadays -- curious as to how far I am, percentage wise.

Just reached the area where Trico jumps in the water for the first time, and there's a vent at the bottom of a deep pool that I can't seem to figure out how to reach.

Edit: Hmm... close to the part from the posters above, so maybe I'm at %50?

The thing is, there's not only on time that Trico jumps into the water, I don't wanna spoil anything but if it's really the very first time then you're like 25% at most.

Raitaro

Yeah, played quite a bit farther now. Currently I'm in
that large white tower with its weirdly futuristic "Apple-ish" and anti-Ueda architecture and aesthetics - which I love by the way
and loving the game more and more.

I am bummed out that I hadn't played it in time for the GOTY voting as it would have been my number 1 I think above Dark Souls 3 even. Yes, the game's technical blemishes like the camera that has a mind of its own sometimes or the fluctuating framerate do tend to frustrate me still in spots but they do not diminish the awe I've been feeling with each new great moment. A shame I couldn't have pushed for it more a few weeks ago.

Speaking of pushing it, I have no idea how this game did not end up in the top 3 "best moment" category of Giant Bomb's GOTY awards, except for the fact that only Alex seemed to have played it extensively. This game is one memorable moment after the other; heck it would be hard to choose just one!

xviper

i'm like 2 hours in and i can't stand it, i currently stopped at
when Trico, washes his body in the water and then look up to see another Trico

it's so frustrating and boring, and it doesn't make sense, why would i crawl, climb and do boring horrible "puzzles" when i can just climb on Trico and he could take me everywhere

it pisses me off when after all this i just go to an edge and call for Trico and he jumps at me, WTF, why didn't you jump from the beginning and saved me from this shit

i made a huge mistake getting this game, i though it has something from Shadow of the colossus( which is my second favorite game of all time), nope, i was wrong, it's 100% Ico(which i hated) but worse

gaf, be honest, does the game get any better ?? or should i go sell\trade it right now ?

Fireblend

Banned

it's so frustrating and boring, and it doesn't make sense, why would i crawl, climb and do boring horrible "puzzles" when i can just climb on Trico and he could take me everywhere

it pisses me off when after all this i just go to an edge and call for Trico and he jumps at me, WTF, why didn't you jump from the beginning and saved me from this shit

i made a huge mistake getting this game, i though it has something from Shadow of the colossus( which is my second favorite game of all time), nope, i was wrong, it's 100% Ico(which i hated) but worse

gaf, be honest, does the game get any better ?? or should i go sell\trade it right now ?
It's one of my favorite games in recent years, but by that point you're at I was in love with it, so maybe it's just not for you. A shame, but if you're not enjoying something there's no reason to suffer through it any more. And this is one very consistent game; I think puzzles get more interesting and finding different interactions one can have with Trico and the way the story continues made me enjoy the game more the more I played, but there's no big shakeup coming for you in terms of progression or mechanics. If you dislike it this much it would probably be wise to sell it and find something else you may like more :)

Gbraga

I don't think you'll ever enjoy it.

For me it's been great from the beginning but it only got better. For you...probably not. The core experience stays the same. Just sell it, dude!

HStallion

Its a puzzle and adventure game about a boy and his giant catdogbird through and through so no its probably not going to get any better for you. The game is basically Ico if you're playing as Yorda.

Yeah it clearly isn't for you, there's nothing further on that'll make you change your mind. Sorry. :/

You may try others suggestions but on my two playthroughs I was just in front of the door with Trico facing towards it, I aimed the camera onto the door deep in the water and just pressed R1 and pointed with the L stick, it worked instantly on both times.

on 3 different playthroughs, this has worked for me on the first time. I've never understood all the complaints about this section.

I feel like you can't really have watched any trailers or marketing for this game though - it was pretty clear that it was a spiritual successor to Ico right from the time of reveal in terms of gameplay. Hell, Ueda even direct shouted it out:

ux77AI7.png

xviper

i see, so it's not getting any better, well shit, there goes my money

so far my score for the game is 4\10, and the only thing i liked about it is how Trico behaves, he behaves exactly like a a real life cat

the way he's an asshole and doesn't follow your orders, his movements and animation are amazing and realistic, feeding him is fucking annoying, and he put his head in every hole he sees, without those things the game would have been a 2\10

The last guardian is now one of the WORST and most BORING games i have played this generation, next to Infamous 3 and Thief

what a shame, how can people make a unique masterpiece like Shadow of the colossus, make such a boring game like TLG ?

the combat is just, well, climb on Trico and just watch the inside of his empty body, amazing camera by the way

the controls are fucked up, i don't remember SOTC having such shitty controls, i know that both games have shitty controls but i'm pretty sure TLG has much worse

the graphics is outdated and i don't see it effecting the game for me, but the lightning is actually pretty impressive

i guess i'll go trade it

HStallion

so far my score for the game is 4\10, and the only thing i liked about it is how Trico behaves, he behaves exactly like a a real life cat

the way he's an asshole and doesn't follow your orders, his movements and animation are amazing and realistic, feeding him is fucking annoying, and he put his head in every hole he sees, without those things the game would have been a 2\10

The last guardian is now one of the WORST and most BORING games i have played this generation, next to Infamous 3 and Thief

what a shame, how can people make a unique masterpiece like Shadow of the colossus, make such a boring game like TLG ?

the combat is just, well, climb on Trico and just watch the inside of his empty body, amazing camera by the way

the controls are fucked up, i don't remember SOTC having such shitty controls, i know that both games have shitty controls but i'm pretty sure TLG has much worse

the graphics is outdated and i don't see it effecting the game for me, but the lightning is actually pretty impressive

i guess i'll go trade it

I mean to each their own but the game was never trying to be SotC aside from a giant creature and being able to climb on it. Its a an unapologetic puzzle game with adventure and platforming elements. I'd also say it is a masterpiece for what it sets out to do as it outdoes a lot of games like Uncharted in terms of set pieces and excels at using the interactive gaming medium to its fullest to tell a story with minimal dialogue and cutscenes.

Fireblend

Banned
i guess i'll go trade it

It's cool to have a different opinion man, there's no need to belittle others' in order to justify it, we get it that people like different things :) better luck with your next purchase!

xviper

It's cool to have a different opinion man, there's no need to belittle others' in order to justify it, we get it that people like different things :) better luck with your next purchase!

i bought The boring guardian at full price and now i'm mostly gonna trade it with a 30-40$ game, if not even less and this is really pisses me off

i almost fell for Doom and Gravity Rush 2, but both games had demos to save me from the false hype

i just wish they could release more demos on ps4 like they used to on ps3, one of the most things i miss about last generation

i bought The boring guardian at full price and now i'm mostly gonna trade it with a 30-40$ game, if not even less and this is really pisses me off

i almost fell for Doom and Gravity Rush 2, but both games had demos to save me from the false hype

i just wish they could release more demos on ps4 like they used to on ps3, one of the most things i miss about last generation

Those three games are awesome haha.

You'll sort it out, maybe you should've seen playthroughs or something before buying the game, I did that with Gravity Rush 2(didn't try the demo since I've heard bad things from it even from fans) and that convinced me and now I have zero regrets.

black070

Yup, you really dodged a bullet there..

lol

Fireblend

Banned

Being crass here isn't going to give you those $20-$30 back, so why keep doing it? You should probably be more open to the fact that people like different things, and you'll sometimes fall with the majority and sometimes with the minority (like in this case) - it's cool and people will understand without there needing to be any sort of negative discussion :)

I agree it'd be great if the PS4 had more demos :) maybe since that isn't the case you should look at videos before making a decision next time; games are pretty expensive and going in blind can result in stuff like this - no need for rudeness tho!

xviper

Being crass here isn't going to give you those $20-$30 back, so why keep doing it? You should probably be more open to the fact that people like different things, and you'll sometimes fall with the majority and sometimes with the minority (like in this case) - it's cool and people will understand without there needing to be any sort of negative discussion :)

I agree it'd be great if the PS4 had more demos :) maybe since that isn't the case you should look at videos before making a decision next time; games are pretty expensive and going in blind can result in stuff like this - no need for rudeness tho!

i did see videos of the game and it did look boring, i bought it because it's from the same creators of Shadow of the colossus, i know, i'm a fucking idiot

but would you buy Death Stranding ?? it's from the creators of Metal Gear Solid, so it's mostly gonna be a masterpiece, right ??

what about Cyberpunk 2077 ?? Witcher 3 creators, you understand what i'm saying ?

anyway, i made a mistake and i hope i learn from it the next time

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

I might suggest Gamefly or renting a game going forward. How is the hype false? Many others enjoying these games and stating they enjoy them and you found you did not does not equate to false hype.

If you aren't searching for people to blame for your purchase decisions, perhaps try renting instead. Might save you the headache.

myco666

i did see videos of the game and it did look boring, i bought it because it's from the same creators of Shadow of the colossus, i know, i'm a fucking idiot

but would you buy Death Stranding ?? it's from the creators of Metal Gear Solid, so it's mostly gonna be a masterpiece, right ??

what about Cyberpunk 2077 ?? Witcher 3 creators, you understand what i'm saying ?

anyway, i made a mistake and i hope i learn from it the next time

If those games looked like ass, no. Buying something that looks bad/not interesting just because certain individual(s) worked on it makes no sense.

Gbraga

I mean, I think Shadow of the Colossus is one of the best games ever made, and I think TLG is even better. Just different tastes, it's not like they lost their touch or anything like that, you just hate this one, it's fine.

If those games looked like ass, no. Buying something that looks bad/not interesting just because certain individual(s) worked on it makes no sense.

Yeah, this. In fact, as I said before, I definitely did not expect to like this one as much as I did, and I was very close to not buying it day one, but I got a 50% discount on a preorder, so I couldn't resist and got it. Still, only played it on Christmas, despite having it since day one.

The Last Guardian is a masterpiece. ;D It is!

May I ask what you top games of the last few years are? Just interested. I'm not bitter whenever somebody doesn't "get" TLG, I just like to know where they're coming from.

Shin-Ra

xviper did the whole "false GAF hype" bullshit for Gravity Rush 2 as well.

played the demo, reached first battle and deleted it, thank god GAF didn't fool me into buying the Remaster, not my type of game, shitty combat
i was gonna fall for the hype for this game TWICE, one with the remaster and one with GR2

i was going to buy the Remaster when it came out but i got busy with other games and forgot it

then i saw the hype for GR2 and saw few trailer and thought it looked cool so i put it on my list but then i tried that Demo, thank god i never bought the Remaster, it's god damn AWFUL, the gameplay is horribly unsatisfying

Gaf Please stop overhyping games, especially Sony Exclusives
before you pre-order and fall for Gaf's hype, try the Demo right now, you may change your mind like i did and save yourself 60$

Alpha_eX

My only complaints with the game are the terrible frame-rate and GIANT BUTTON PROMPT BOXES that take up like 30% of the screen to remind you of what the circle button does, even hours into the game.

It's a wonderful game but needed more time in the oven. Saying it's a bad game, is quite ignorant.

Top Bottom