• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Audioboxer

He has said in a recent interview that he still wants and plans to make games and they are the only medium that can do his artistic vision justice and even went into detail on things like how large a budget he would need for the next game (between AAA and Indie). He's not going anywhere and I believe GenDesign is even hiring.

*cautiously optimistic*

Although, I dunno about "AA" budget titles again. Here's hoping, but I'll take anything from the studio.

I hope Ueda doesn't go the indie, digital-only route. I want his next game to be on the same scale of The Last Guardian. Please keep throwing money his way Sony!

nel e nel

Completed the game last night, dem feels looking back at these pictures from early on <3

On "suicide watch" that we probably won't ever get a Team ICO game again. The last 1/3rd of TLG was absolutely insane. It does show up some pacing issues in the first chunk of the game, to be honest, but the overall journey was a masterpiece.

I can forgive the crazy delays and some left over gameplay jank as coding a game like this must have been a nightmare. From the AI to having to have the whole world support a small character and a massive character. It was clearly a big ask for the studio, and starting on the PS3 must have been an insurmountable challenge.

Even although gameplay and camera complaints are real, and I can see some folks docking points for that, Jim Sterling's review just comes across as pretty heartless right now. As do a few others. However, I guess this just goes to show some really do want games to be games, and cannot see a one off unique experience for almost "transcending" the medium. As in, this is one experience I don't think we'll ever see again. Although to be fair, even most of the harshest reviews do still mention some of the charm, JS included.

Also,
there's only 1 real Trico. Bad Tricos be damned (even although they were being controlled).

Lastly, trophies, lol. I really cannot bring myself to replay this any time soon. Just not that kind of game for me.

Breh! I just finished it this AM as well, and echo a lot of your thoughts. This is my first Team Ico game (was Xbox only prior to this gen) and I don't think I've ever actually shed tears for a video game before this. A really beautiful experience despite - because of?* - some of the clunkiness.

*I say 'because of' because sometimes those clunky parts - particularly in the combat scenes - kind of added a sense of urgency, to me at least. My take on the camera is that they were constantly trying to keep Trico in frame and give him (her?) a nice cinematic camera angle. So while it often was framed nicely from an aesthetic point, it was often bad for platforming or directing Trico.

Also agree about the trophies. They seem relatively easy to get, and many of them are hinged on multiple playthroughs, but I dunno, I feel like this is a one and done for me.

Eh, I maybe shouldn't have name dropped, and just left it as critics with harsher comments to say. Funnily enough, I actually line up with a lot of Jim's tastes, but I've never really understood some of his remarks on Team ICO games. Considering he seems to like a lot of experimental and story based titles, it's just a bit weird Team ICO games don't do more for him.

Although, sure, ALL of the Team ICO games have had some questionable gameplay choices, and camera issues. There's no denying that.

Anyway, this isn't a review thread! The sadder thing to me isn't reviews, but that I genuinely don't know if we'll see a Team ICO game again, or even something like TLG for a very long time.
No worries, I wasn't tryna "gotcha!" on a point of yours or anything.

I hope this isn't regarded as advertising, but I made something you should probably like and most of you don't frequent the Lego thread.

Lego-Trico-03-1024x733.jpg

Lego-Trico-01.jpg

Lego-Trico-06.jpg

I entered this model on Lego Ideas, where Lego will consider making any set that makes it past 10.000 votes. That's probably too much to hope for, but let's focus on making it past 100 first. So if you want a possible Lego Trico, please support here:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/166219

Audioboxer

I hope this isn't regarded as advertising, but I made something you should probably like and most of you don't frequent the Lego thread.

I entered this model on Lego Ideas, where Lego will consider making any set that makes it past 10.000 votes. That's probably too much to hope for, but let's focus on making it past 100 first. So if you want a possible Lego Trico, please support here:

Amazing!

*clicks support*

"You must have an account..." Fuuuuu.

I'll create one when I'm home later.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The only modification/change I could try and think of is trying to add some kind of "feathers" lego or something like that to Trico's body, but I'm guessing that would be hard and make it flexible as well. Still great job!

The only modification/change I could try and think of is trying to add some kind of "feathers" lego or something like that to Trico's body, but I'm guessing that would be hard and make it flexible as well. Still great job!

There are some interesting new parts that would work to add detail, but they're new for 2017 so not readily available yet.

I made an account and voted for it. I would easily buy that.

Heck, I say make a thread dedicated to this. I'd love to see this in stores.

I just completed it! Wow, what a wonderful experience. I bought it right when it hit $39 on the playstation store.

Just the way I'm able to connect and bond with Trico is amazing. I always went to pet Trico after certain tasks I ask him to perform, and searched for barrels to feed and reward him. Certain parts I found to be a bit frustrating at times, but it never really took away from the overall experience.

For some reason though, I don't recall (ending spoilers)
getting the dialogue about having to send Trico away. So in that moment I was just trying to move and I because I was pressing R1, I interpreted Trico leaving because he knew I was still alive as I was calling out to him.

I'll probably replay it, but I'll give it some time. I love Ueda games but I never really replay them. I only recently replayed SotC last year, and I never played Ico until a few months ago.

Dreez

Finally finished... what a MASTERPIECE!!!!

I would love a sequel (could be spiritual...) They gotta use that tech in more titles.

sasuke_91

This is absolutely amazing! I'll make sure to give you a vote.

By the way, are impressions still "wanted" in this thread? I'm writing something, but it's getting kinda long. I may have to break it down and throw out some stuff before sharing it here.

Tyaren

Tips for Mr Ueda/genDESIGN:
- Put a threshold on Trico's AI, so that he always does what he's supposed to do after a certain amount of time. This keeps intact his animal AI but also ensures players don't get stuck for 15+ mins on one puzzle.
- Design puzzles a bit better so that it's more clear what the player has to do and avoid confusion that you're not sure whether you're doing something wrong or if it's just Trico being stubborn (and delete that stupid box-water 'puzzle' in the mines).
- Please try to work on a better camera that doesn't go crazy when clipping with the walls all the time.
- Maybe let the player turn off the button prompts (I know I can press X to hang, thank you).
- Don't make all the cutscenes so backhalf heavy (also why does the native village have an airstrip in the forest)..

This.
I thought Trico wasn't even that stubborn and useless as many say. In the entire game there was just one platforming section where he kinda glitched out and refused to do what he was supposed to do. I restarted the checkpoint and he did his thing and I was able to advance. He's also supposed to be a little reluctant and distracted at times, it's what makes him so charming and live-like. ;)
Some of the puzzles however were imo very unintuitive and confusing or didn't properly work. The box in the water for example. I figured out what the game wanted me to do quickly but it just didn't work. It really took like 15 minutes for Trico's tail to finally drop down. And all that time I thought I must be doing something wrong. There were several situations like that.
Or situations in which you weren't able to progress until a certain and sometimes long amount of time had passed, while racking ones brains why nothing was working. For example being trapped in the cage. I quickly realized where I needed to go to open the cage and how I could move the cage, but the game wouldn't let me until later. Something like that is just frustrating.

This is amazing! Good luck. :)

Wow that really cool. I wouldn't get my hopes up though, I looked on the site and it looks like no idea has ever made it to 10,000

I'm a little surprised, one would think at least something would have made it

Actually, a bunch of ideas make it to 10000, about 10-15 per year. It's mostly licensed stuff, but some original ideas too. And then a few are chosen for production. NeoGAF's own Wetwired managed to get the Ghostbusters Ecto-1 made, and that ended up leading to Lego making the Firehouse HQ too, as well as Dimensions sets and one based on the new movie.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/36088

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
This game was a masterpiece. I finished it like a week ago. I really hope Sony can get Ueda to do another game for them.

Gbraga

This is absolutely amazing! I'll make sure to give you a vote.

By the way, are impressions still "wanted" in this thread? I'm writing something, but it's getting kinda long. I may have to break it down and throw out some stuff before sharing it here.

For sure. Maybe post it in the spoiler thread, so you can talk freely about it without tagging anything.

Gbraga

What do you guys hope to see from the next Ueda game? Setting, characters, gameplay style, etc?

I really have no preference at all. I just want him to make a new game, and I'll be there day one, whatever it is.

I thought TLG wasn't exactly the best kind of game they could make for my preferences, and I was sure I wouldn't like it as much as SotC, and it ended up being my favorite, so I clearly have no idea of what I'm talking about.

The Last Guardian was one of my favorite experiences this generation. It was my first Ueda game and I really hope he continues to work with Sony on something just as grand for his next project.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I'm going crazy, so frustated, isn't there a way to hide the constant commands-related HUD elements appearing every goddamn time there's an action available... enough is enough, after 2 hours I don't need the game to tell me once again how to throw a barrel for fuck's sake!

Gbraga

I'm going crazy, so frustated, isn't there a way to hide the constant commands-related HUD elements appearing every goddamn time there's an action available... enough is enough, after 2 hours I don't need the game to tell me once again how to throw a barrel for fuck's sake!

Unfortunately, you can't turn it off. But they do stop appearing after a while. Takes much longer than it should, but they do.

Dash Kappei

Unfortunately, you can't turn it off. But they do stop appearing after a while. Takes much longer than it should, but they do.

Damn, why is this game so unpolished all around... it all adds up in the end... baffling UI decisions, sluggish controls, awful camera, terrible performance... pisses me off because it could've been a great package if only they managed to iron out some things. I know too well the story of Trico's development but I still feel like the game needed at least half a year more to make everything more smooth and fluid

Gbraga

Damn, why is this game so unpolished all around... it all adds up in the end... baffling UI decisions, sluggish controls, awful camera, terrible performance... pisses me off because it could've been a great package if only they managed to iron out some things. I know too well the story of Trico's development but I still feel like the game needed at least half a year more to make everything more smooth and fluid

I don't mind it that much, to be honest.

The performance is definitely terrible at 1080p, but the controls and camera I'm totally fine with. The fade out when the camera got in a bad position was certainly weird, but that's all it was to me, just something that looked weird, didn't make me frustrated or anything.

The UI decisions I don't get either. They don't teach some things that a lot of people miss completely, but insist on teaching you the same basic things all the time. I'd say they should go all the way with that, with prompts for absolutely everything, but having an option to turn them off in the menu. The way it is, it doesn't really please anyone. It won't teach everything to people who actually need to be reminded of what is the jump button all the time (if there's even anyone like that), and it still feels like too much for people who don't need it.

But it was also very easy to ignore, imo. Constant button prompts on the screen like Open World games do bothers me a lot more. Thankfully, I never played one that didn't let me disable that.

Dash Kappei

I will reply to the whole post in due time, but for now when you say "performance is terrible at 1080p" does that entail any other mode where it's better (PS4 OG here)? I mean, if I set the PS4 at 720p I don't think the game will perform better since the internal framebuffer would still be rendered at 1080p and then downsampled to 720p, right? Could you elaborate on your sentence, super interested in finding out a way to play the game with a better framerate sans PS4P, thanks!

Gbraga

I will reply to the whole post in due time, but for now when you say "performance is terrible at 1080p" does that entail any other mode where it's better (PS4 OG here)? I mean, if I set the PS4 at 720p I don't think the game will perform better since the internal framebuffer would still be rendered at 1080p and then downsampled to 720p, right? Could you elaborate on your sentence, super interested in finding out a way to play the game with a better framerate sans PS4P, thanks!

I didn't test it myself, but yes, in fact we did have more than one person in this thread testing it, and it seems like The Last Guardian does render at 720p if you set your PS4 to that, giving you better performance.

Dash Kappei

I didn't test it myself, but yes, in fact we did have more than one person in this thread testing it, and it seems like The Last Guardian does render at 720p if you set your PS4 to that, giving you better performance.

OMG! Will definitely test it tomorrow, thanks for mentioning it! Now I'm off to bed, since I got stuck for 15 minutes lol (Trico's apparently afraid of fire and there's some torches on the side of a narrow passage but I suspect there's a way for the boy to go around and push a lever...)

Quonny

So, I got past the awesome
Trico fight on the bridges and I knocked the helmet off that wannabe.

Now I'm climbing towers again and I just blasted a bunch of mirrors with the shield.

It seemed to be getting a lot better but now we're back to jumping from pillar to pillar and it's dragging. I kinda just want the game to be over. I love Trico, but the controls are beyond frustrating and there is one cool section for every 30 minutes of boring.

HStallion

So, I got past the awesome
Trico fight on the bridges and I knocked the helmet off that wannabe.

Now I'm climbing towers again and I just blasted a bunch of mirrors with the shield.

It seemed to be getting a lot better but now we're back to jumping from pillar to pillar and it's dragging. I kinda just want the game to be over. I love Trico, but the controls are beyond frustrating and there is one cool section for every 30 minutes of boring.

Its not an action packed game and I wish people wouldn't go into the game expecting it. Its a very quiet, meandering game in a lot of ways. That's why the set pieces stand out so much when they do happen as not only are they excellent but they are an extreme contrast to what is mostly an adventure game based around teamwork, exploration and puzzle solving. Some of my best moments were just fucking around while Trico did something funny or cute.

Quonny

Its not an action packed game and I wish people wouldn't go into the game expecting it. Its a very quiet, meandering game in a lot of ways. That's why the set pieces stand out so much when they do happen as not only are they excellent but they are an extreme contrast to what is mostly an adventure game based around teamwork, exploration and puzzle solving. Some of my best moments were just fucking around while Trico did something funny or cute.

??

I knew exactly what I was getting into. If Trico would just execute my command in the way I think he should then there wouldn't be many issues. But when you look up at a platform, hit jump, and he jumps down a hole and wastes 3 minutes of your time multiple times, it's not enjoyable. And it's not like a 'oh, he's an animal' kind of deal, it's a 'either don't do anything and give a confused look or do it' kind of thing.

That said, finished it, and that was a good ending. Still don't know if it was worth the trouble, at least for me. It's definitely better than ICO, that's for sure, but I really disliked ICO.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Curious about how far I've made it into the game. I just reached
a weird alien looking tower, and got into a fight at the bridge outside

EDIT: Nvm, a few hours later and I've finished the game! :)

mcz117chief

Finally finished the game. It wasn't abysmal but it doesn't come even close to both Ico or SotC, a decent game in general. I never formed a connection with the beast like I did with Mono, Agro and Yorda. I just never felt like there needed to be any connection. You just did your things and moved forward along the same path.

It felt like Stockholm Syndrome the game.
The beast is guilty it took you away and the boy just kind of tags along with it's captor until it finally decides to return him to the village.
I really felt no emotional attachment to the beast despite the game wanting you to (I think).

sasuke_91

The beast is guilty it took you away and the boy just kind of tags along with it's captor until it finally decides to return him to the village.
I really felt no emotional attachment to the beast despite the game wanting you to (I think).
This honestly makes no sense to me.

I have a hard time understanding how someone could play through the game and come out of it with this opinion.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I have a hard time understanding how someone could play through the game and come out of it with this opinion.

Some people just pay less attention than others while gaming.

mcz117chief

Why not? What's wrong with it?
The boy gets captured by the beast, the beast gets an error while receiving comms from the control tower, falls down, gets put in the pen, boy comes out, decides to help the beast, beast feels guilty and is now trying to help the boy get home.
That's the story.

Some people just pay less attention than others while gaming.

Do you need a ladder?

Fair enough. You're certainly in the minority - even people who dislike the game on technical grounds almost uniformly respond to the emotional elements. The notion that the boy is the captive of the beast though is pretty clearly incorrect though - the game spells out pretty carefully that the beast has an emotional attachment to you rather than any kind of captor-captive relationship. EDIT: and yeah, as below,
was not acting of it's own free will when it did take you

I'm just glad 1 more person played it.

HStallion

Finally finished the game. It wasn't abysmal but it doesn't come even close to both Ico or SotC, a decent game in general. I never formed a connection with the beast like I did with Mono, Agro and Yorda. I just never felt like there needed to be any connection. You just did your things and moved forward along the same path.

Trico was being mind controlled by the Master of the Valley to kidnap the boy. Same for all the other Tricos

mcz117chief

Trico was being mind controlled by the Master of the Valley to kidnap the boy. Same for all the other Tricos

I know, that's pretty obvious.

Fair enough. You're certainly in the minority - even people who dislike the game on technical grounds almost uniformly respond to the emotional elements.
I'm just glad 1 more person played it.

The technical aspects are mostly fine since the game doesn't require some massive precision. I actually enjoyed the game as a moment to moment thing.

The notion that the boy is the captive of the beast though is pretty clearly incorrect though - the game spells out pretty carefully that the beast has an emotional attachment to you rather than any kind of captor-captive relationship.

Well he was when he got caught but it wasn't later since the beast felt guilty for taking him. I didn't mean it in a sense that you are the captive throughout the entire game.

I've been looking forward to this game since I saw the trailer at E3 2009, when it came out though, I was still playing through FFXV. I had to put The Last Guardian on hold for a bit, finally got around to starting it a few days ago. Unbelievable.

I'm nearing what I believe to be the end of the game and I don't want it to be over...
Some weird gameplay quirks and bugs aside, this really is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. An Instant classic. If I made a list of my favorite games of all time, the top ten would be dominated by games from my childhood. The Last Guardian cracks my top ten and I haven't even finished it yet.

I don't think he will, but if Trico dies at the end, I'm quitting video games.

Trico is the technical achievement of the generation so far.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Ended up ordering the collectors edition after finishing. Never ordered a collectors edition before but i really needed Trico on my shelf.
One of the most special games i have ever played. Loved every second of it and got wrecked at the final part.

c0Zm1c

It's pretty much the other way around:
I mean, near the start, the boy (not yet realising he's trapped in The Nest) is willing to ditch Trico and head off home - even though they are dependent on each other, it's the beast that initially wants to tag along, and for the majority of their journey it's the boy leading the way, either through solving the puzzles or giving instructions.

I didn't really sense guilt in Trico. After it's servitude to the Master of the Valley was broken it seemed more like the beast is just as lost and confused as the boy. Though it does screech at the tower every chance it gets, so I think it is aware of what has been happening to it and its kin. It doesn't take the boy home from the start because its wings are injured.

I haven't played Ico, but regarding Shadow of the Colossus, I felt a much stronger connection with Trico than Agro. I guess it works more for some players than others, but I don't see Argo as intrinsic to the storyline in SoTC as is Trico in this game, despite being an important part of it.

Well he was when he got caught but it wasn't later since the beast felt guilty for taking him. I didn't mean it in a sense that you are the captive throughout the entire game.

I didn't get a sense of "guilt' from Trico though - he seems to have sort of a canine level of intellect and I never conceived of him remembering back that far (if he remembers abducting you at all). To me, his adoration for you comes from the fact that you initially save him and become his new "master" and then your relationship grows out of repeatedly helping and saving each other and just from general companionship that grows out of two creatures being isolated together in a big, lonely, dangerous world (a repeated theme in all Team Ico games).

Top Bottom