• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

wapplew

This might sound crazy but The Last Guardian is a better tomb raider game than Tomb Raider.

Environmental puzzles and platforming!

This game is amazing.

Yes! Level design is good!
The sense of scale, the awe, it's been a while a game make me feel like that, it's like playing SoTC and Ico for the first time.

Owensboro

ask him to jump up, he will lower his tail for you to grab. I was so sad seeing my dogbird bloody and injured...

I swear I tried that. You just hold R1 and up on the joystick, right? Each time I tried that I just called for Trico and never moved anything (no hands went up to indicate I was pointing in a direction
. Thanks for the help. I'll try it tomorrow!

So is the framerate on a orig PS4 comparable to playing through SOTC back in the day on the PS2 ?

For me, it was during the first hour or so. The first big "uh oh" moment was in an empty room. The second was the first time there were a bunch of trees on screen. I honestly haven't noticed it since then, and am 5 hours in. I've either acclimated, or it just hasn't really happened since then.

Grisby

Can't believe I'm playing this. I got to the first area where the music kicks in, the
forest
area, and just sat there for quite some time.

Moved a ways past that and I can tell I'm gonna enjoy this game.
Do you have to play Ico or Shadow of The Colossus to enjoy this?
Nope. Not in the least.
So is the framerate on a orig PS4 comparable to playing through SOTC back in the day on the PS2 ?
Eh, I'm about 2 hours in and while it drops I don't think it's dropped to SOTC levels yet.

Mush

It's not as bad, but it does get a bit stuttery at times. I'm only an hour or two into the game though so I don't know if that changes in other environments.

Ill Saint

Game is simply magical, and breathtaking to look at. Utterly captivating to watch and interact with Trico. Brings back a lot of memories from growing up with my own dogs when I was a kid.

My only complaint is that there's no way to make the boy walk. Tip-toeing is too slow, and sometimes I'd really prefer not to run. A strange design choice.

Vinc

This is everything I wanted. What a beautiful, wonderful game this turned out to be. Worth the wait already, and I'm only a few hours in. I just found out how to make Trico sit and I spent a while petting him and just playing around. I absolutely love it. GOTY.

MattyG

Banned
Okay, can someone give me a hint on the w
ater
p
uzzle
where you've
fallen through the floor and have a big box and Trico is watching from above
?

I was gonna try the whole game with no help but I feel like I'm missing something super obvious here. Been stuck for ages.

I swear I tried that. You just hold R1 and up on the joystick, right? Each time I tried that I just called for Trico and never moved anything (no hands went up to indicate I was pointing in a direction
. Thanks for the help. I'll try it tomorrow!

You hold R1 and triangle to ask him to jump. R1 and X to ask him to sit.

Okay, can someone give me a hint on the w
ater
p
uzzle
where you've
fallen through the floor and have a big box and Trico is watching from above
?

I was gonna try the whole game with no help but I feel like I'm missing something super obvious here. Been stuck for ages.
push the crate to where debris falls, stand on top of the crave and call your bud.

Owensboro

You hold R1 and triangle to ask him to jump. R1 and X to ask him to sit.

N..... No way. Really? Hah,
all this time I thought you had to get him to look at you (press R1) and then hit triangle so that he *saw* you jump and took the suggestion. I also assumed the only commands you could give by holding R1 were directions with the stick
. I'm such a moron. Thanks!

I wish manuals would make a comeback. I must have just missed that tutorial somehow.

explodet

We're stuck on the
cogwheel
puzzle.
Searching gave me nothing.

EDIT: Never mind,
Trico decided to just go ahead and solve it.

OK I'm only in the first hour of the game... I am in awe. The sheer scope of the creature and it's size is blowing my mind. Pretty sure I'm going to have nightmares tonight... those dead eyes staring at me.

Got my CE today. It's weird. I never buy collector's edition for any game but I had to get this one. For those still on the fence, the statue is really incredible. I never thought it would be such a high quality figurine. Now, to start the game.

Yeah it looks much better in person than any pic or unboxing video I watched. Really a neat thing.

Tainted

For me, it was during the first hour or so. The first big "uh oh" moment was in an empty room. The second was the first time there were a bunch of trees on screen. I honestly haven't noticed it since then, and am 5 hours in. I've either acclimated, or it just hasn't really happened since then.

Eh, I'm about 2 hours in and while it drops I don't think it's dropped to SOTC levels yet.

It's not as bad, but it does get a bit stuttery at times. I'm only an hour or two into the game though so I don't know if that changes in other environments.

Ok, although not perfect that doesn't seem too bad.....PS2 SOTC framerate was horrible but I persevered through it and still enjoyed it...so I should be ok to play TLG on my PS4 amateur

Mik2121

Ok, although not perfect that doesn't seem too bad.....PS2 SOTC framerate was horrible but I persevered through it and still enjoyed it...so I should be ok to play TLG on my PS4 amateur
Yep. I have played only two hours but there were only two instances for me when it was somewhat bad. In general when playing through the rooms it's not bad. Not stable 30fps, but not unplayable either.

Then again, the game is not as action-oriented as other games so the framerate doesn't affect you directly so much (there's a lot of jumping and grabbing things but the framerate isn't so bad to actually affect those actions).

I was really looking forward to play this game today. Unfortunately, my Amazon order didn't arrive today. This has happened too much lately to my liking. I might have to re-sub to Best Buy Gamers Club and just get the games locally...

Hope everyone is having a blast with the game. It has been a looooong wait.
This might be a little bit off topic but I was considering the same. 3 out of 4 of my last orders were late and took forever to finally ship. Of course this is also the case with my Tlg CE.

A-V-B

Hey, guys. Got stuck.

It's in the really big room with a stuck mine cart and a chain. It's where Trico takes a rest and you have to get food from the dark place beneath the mine cart tracks. I got him the food, but I'm not sure where to go from here. The chain leads to a rubble-filled dead end. Everywhere seems to lead to a dead end. Feels like I'm pixel hunting in an adventure game and it's driving me kinda nuts lol

The Lamp

Do you have to play Ico or Shadow of The Colossus to enjoy this?

Nope, but if you enjoy this you should absolutely go get those games because they are just as good, even today.

I'm too scared to start it. Knowing this may be the last, or that I may not play anything like it for another so many years

I'm going to keep waiting until the time is right

Is this a real human response? If you have the game, play it. It's great.

And yeah this is a better environmental exploration platformer than Tomb Raider

Hey, guys. Got stuck.

It's in the really big room with a stuck mine cart and a chain. It's where Trico takes a rest and you have to get food from the dark place beneath the mine cart tracks. I got him the food, but I'm not sure where to go from here. The chain leads to a rubble-filled dead end. Everywhere seems to lead to a dead end. Feels like I'm pixel hunting in an adventure game and it's driving me kinda nuts lol

Call Trico into the area that's really dark. His eyes light up and lets you see around the area. Pull the mine cart down and climb on it to reach the gate switch to let Trico in if you haven't already.

killroy87

I can't believe this is bugging me so much, but they need to patch in a toggle for these fucking button prompts. They are there alllll the time, and take up an obnoxious amount of screen real estate.

Dave_6

I just cleared the E3 2015 demo area and I'm stopping for the night. It's so good that I want to keep playing but yet I don't want to finish it too quickly. Other than the mentioned camera issues every now and then, love it so far and it runs like a champ on the Pro.

Listened to part of the soundtrack for about 15 mins after I stopped playing. It is absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere in this game is like none other.

While I wasn't getting Max Payne sick, the camera movement for 90 minutes was enough for the first night. I had to load up some Battlefield instead.

d00d3n

I honestly got stuck on the first puzzle in the game
I am not able to pull out the second spear
. I don't know if I am stupid or if the game is failing spectacularly to tell me what to do ...

ghibli99

I can't believe this is bugging me so much, but they need to patch in a toggle for these fucking button prompts. They are there alllll the time, and take up an obnoxious amount of screen real estate.
Agreed. I was hoping 4K mode would have made them smaller, but nope. LOL

explodet

Okay, I think we've hit a problem/bug in the
water cave

Trico and the Boy dive down together into the exit, but Trico gets stuck just ouside the entrance and can't get through. If Trico goes alone, he makes it through just fine.

EDIT: The solution was really really weird.
The Boy dives for a little bit and then grabs onto Trico. Trico then passes through the exit without any problem.

Animator

Ok I am an hour in and I need to know:

Those of you with a ps4pro is the game solid 30fps when played 1080p? If yes I will go grab a ps4pro tomorrow.

Just doing some skimming here to see everyone's reactions, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who is in love with this game. I avoided reviews, I avoided all media outside of the E3 trailers,and only read a few 'impression' type twitter posts - so I was very nervous heading into the game. I was thinking about how it felt like a band when a band you loved in high school gets back together again and released a new album - and how you don't know if you'll love it out of nostalgia and not because it's great, or hate it because it's different -- or if it'll actually be a good record.

The Last Guardian is definitely a good record. I've made it up to the area that looks like it came from the E3 trailers so I am going to call it a night. I really want to press on, but at the same time this game doesn't feel like one you need to burn through. It's a place I already love to be in, I don't want to rush through it - I want to tackle each puzzle and each environment as it comes. (Although that
rolling pin puzzle with the gate, and the smoking pot
got me awfully close to looking for help.)

Also, good lord does this game make me want to just cuddle my two dogs and give them extra attention. The mannerisms and animations of Trico are just spot on and instantly evoke that pet/owner bond. Masterclass animation really.

ETA: Also, the frame rate and camera issues - yeah, they are unfortunate. But they in no way actually hamper my ability to enjoy the title. The camera you get used to after a short time, and the frame rate --- well, if I played SotC back on it's release and loved that, then this is almost as smooth as butter comparatively.

ymgve

I'm starting to get really annoyed with the creature's stubbornness. I've probably spend half an hour on this now - how the hell do I get it to dive underwater?

Second time you have to do this - and I unlocked the gate, as debris surfaced and I can see the open gate underwater

I know the devs wanted it to feel like the creature got a mind of its own, but this combined with the low framerate (Even on PS4 Pro in 1080p mode!) and garbage camera controls, I'm starting to really dislike this game.

cheesekao

I'm starting to get really annoyed with the creature's stubbornness. I've probably spend half an hour on this now - how the hell do I get it to dive underwater?

Second time you have to do this - and I unlocked the gate, as debris surfaced and I can see the open gate underwater

I know the devs wanted it to feel like the creature got a mind of its own, but this combined with the low framerate (Even on PS4 Pro in 1080p mode!) and garbage camera controls, I'm starting to really dislike this game.
If you spent that much time then it's more to do with you not doing the right thing.

Top Bottom