• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

TLG + Crestfallen Soldier - trico - boy + cthulu shit = souls game

Ueda, please keep going. :)
Think we were referring to different set-pieces before, but I think I just played the one you were talking about.

The scaffolding with the eyes, platforming around the tower exterior, Trico overcoming his fear to save you then flying, and then climbing on the other tower before making the jump to Trico

It was at #6 earlier today in the US

Yeah I expect it's been up and around the top 5.

Have been checking over the few weeks and TLG seems to be doing well in UK and US. Also UK has better alternatives in shopto which has a nicer cover and cheaper. GAME are doing the steelbook for the cost of the standard edition.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Think we were referring to different set-pieces before, but I think I just played the one you were talking about.

The scaffolding with the eyes, platforming around the tower exterior, Trico overcoming his fear to save you then flying, and then climbing on the other tower before making the jump to Trico
I was talking about
other trico. Running from him, using his head to platform, then the bit in the cage and then the rescue by trico is the best.

Your scene made me cry.

I was talking about
other trico. Running from him, using his head to platform, then the bit in the cage and then the rescue by trico is the best.

Your scene made me cry.
Ha, so we were on the same page

Yeah, that part was amazing too. It made me want a next-gen SoTC. The way it was trying to claw it as you and such, Colossi with that level of animation and detail would be insane

The game is just magic. As a huge animal lover and someone involved in animal rescue, it's hitting so many emotions for me. I've actually laughed out loud at several points from Trico and the boy's actions. Trico reminds me so much of my cats (and dog and parrot) it's amazing. I don't think there's ever been such a fully realized animal character in games before. I'm so happy to see Ueda and team's vision come to fruition.

I never gave up hope for this game, always defended it when so many others were doubting, and about 5 hours in all I can say is...

this game is a fucking masterpiece and Ueda is a genius. I am so damn happy with it.

Haines

Banned
Game is so great. I am very happy i kept my preorder. Going to see how the game plays out but im suspecting im going to be able to play it with my 3 year old over the winter because i think he would love it.

Were animal lovers. We have a pet grooming business he hangs around.

I do question if the game has too much replayability and if i will want to sell it while it has some value tho. We will see.

Pau

Huh, starting over again, Trico took off all of the armor stuff when you unhook him right away. That didn't happen in the first play through. Now I can get through the hole just fine. I dunno if it was a weird glitch or what.

taoofjord

90 minutes in and loving it. Trico's just a technical and artistic marvel.

One complaint though... I want to turn off the GIGANTIC control hints. I don't need them, especially after the first hour or so, and they're such a distraction.

Zach

Played it briefly. Stunning.

Quick question that I'm sure has been asked, so bear with me: how long is the game?

hawk2025

What. The. Fuck.

Amazon shipped my CE without a box -- they actually stuck the labels in the game box itself. Obviously the whole fucking thing is smashed and ruined.

This is a hilariously new low, wow.

The Lamp

So far, this game was worth waiting for. I'm 2 hours in and the storytelling is fantastic. The relationship between the kid and Trico is really interesting. I thought it was hammy reading about it in previews, but it's the most organic partner AI relationship I've ever seen. It behaves just like a real animal.

The framerate isn't 30 fps but it's not bothering me. It's smooth enough to play with for now and it actually makes it feel more like a blurry dream-like world (can't believe I'm saying that). Obviously I'd prefer 30 or 60 fps.

I'm not having trouble getting Trico to listen to me. I'm not having trouble climbing him or maneuvering in general. All the reviews that complained about this are bewildering to me so far.

This might be my GOTG so far.

What. The. Fuck.

Amazon shipped my CE without a box -- they actually stuck the labels in the game box itself. Obviously the whole fucking thing is smashed and ruined.

Wait..what?! That is unlike Amazon to do something that stupid. Thats unbelievable.

Just so nobody misses it, because it's not even listed on the controls screen in the options menu: Holding L1 will make the camera look at Trico. Incredibly helpful, and I'm very puzzled why it's not told anywhere (other than this thread)

The Lamp

I love that all the gameplay is seamless with no HUD or objectives or markers or anything. It all just flows organically from intuition. The game world makes sense just like you would expect it to.

mnemonicj

I'm playing on the OG PS4 and it plays great so far. The only real drop in fps I've noticed so far is when going through the outdoor environments. It is so much fun to play around with Trico. I really like to just call out on him and listen to the different expressions the Boy says.

Okay, so this is more of an early easter egg than anything, but it's related to Shadow of the Colossus:

Anyone else seen the tiny black salamanders just like the ones from SotC? I've found a few, but I can't see any way of killing them and eating their tails like SotC. For some reason they seem too numerous to just be background.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Okay, so this is more of an early easter egg than anything, but it's related to Shadow of the Colossus:

Anyone else seen the tiny black salamanders just like the ones from SotC? I've found a few, but I can't see any way of killing them and eating their tails like SotC. For some reason they seem too numerous to just be background.

lol yeah saw one like 40 mins into the game at the first forest area.

What. The. Fuck.

Are you certain you bought from Amazon and not a storefront on Amazon?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Other people in this thread have also complained Amazon slapped a sticker on the actual game box. So yeah someone fucked up somewhere.

From Arby's Social Media feed:

IsnON1v.jpg

Is that just cardboard? Or is it edible?(pistachio and other stuff)

I played for one hour and I am amazed by this game. the art, the graphics, are amazing. the frame rate can drop at times, but in this type of game is not deal breaker at all.

I am stuck in one part

when I get to the trico nest, I use the shield and bust the wooden door, the stone Pilar falls and become a bridge. I then crossed the bridge, but tricot can't past the narrow door. I go by myself and call him through the large door opening on the other side. then he joins me and I am stuck, I don't know where to go

Salaadin

I know I said that I wasn't going to post in here anymore until I beat it but holy Fuck what is this game and how does it exist? Ueda, you're one of a kind. 4 hours in, I already feel like this will be one of my all time favorites.

mike6467

Picked the digital version up today. I wasn't a huge Ico or SoTC fan, but what can I say, Trico sold me on it.

I'm still not a huge fan of the gameplay after 2 hours, but the game is beautiful and I'm sure I'll finish it. My roommate is crazy about Trico and she's going to play through after I'm done.

With that said on my OG PS4 the framerate is just brutal; to the point that this is the only game I'm playing until I beat it, in hopes that I'll acclimate to the 25fps. I'm still waiting to see what Square does with the December FFXV patch, but if that improves the way I hope it will, then the two combined would probably be enough for me to buy a Pro (and actually open it this time!)

sono

I am so happy right now.

I never lost the faith, even in the midst of posts like this from a respected NeoGAF mod in 2009.

Y2Kev said:
The Last Guardian is dead and you will deal #1
Hello Ponies,

It has come to my attention that yet another E3 has passed and some vaporware trash game called The Last Guardian decided not to show its hideous face yet again. I know, I know. You have all heard my warnings and my decrees that you shouldn't be hyped for this game because it no longer exists. That you shouldn't be hyped for this game because it wouldn't be at E3. And that you shouldn't be hyped for this game because you look all sloppy when you get emotional and your makeup is terrible.

But of course some of you chose not to listen. You'll believe and believe and believe while Big Men in Suits tell jokes about NAPA VALLEY and preach to you about innovative crossmedia polymorphic free to play content.

The game's dead. If it isn't dead (which it is), it's been so dramatically retooled and reworked that it's not the game anymore and you should look forward to something new from the people that actually work at Sony Japan and not the corpses that failed on this game for over five years.

If someone from Team ICO or Sony would like to contact me to give me the full story of this game's development or explain why exactly we haven't seen anything from this game in four years, they can write it on some toilet paper and I'll wipe my ass with it cause this is all bullshit.

#teamy2kev

Thank you for your words in the op y2..

The Lamp

About 2 hours in, holy shit at the imagination at some of these puzzles
holy shit at literally petting Trico to calm him down. It felt so natural to do and it actually worked. holy shit at asking him to stick his head through a hallway he's too big for so I can climb on his head and reach a new ledge

I adore this game.

Owensboro

So, Um, spoilers I guess. I'm like, 5 hours in (I think) and I'm stuck
in a tree. I've kicked and screamed my little heart out for the last 15 minutes, and have tried every combination of buttons I can think of. Trico has jumped to my right to try and help me, but then just fell right back down. Any hints on what I'm supposed to do here?

Welp, I'm heading to bed. Can't figure this one out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I think I just need to refresh and come back to it.

Loving the game so far.

Mezoly

Two hours in, I love it. Never Played Ico and only beaten 4 bosses in Sotc.

Trico has the cuteness of a dog and the urgency of a cat lol.

Leeness

Trico <3<3<3

I cannot. I don't think I'm going to be able to blast through this game like I just did with FFXV because real life is going to get in the way, but that's fine.

I will pet Trico and be happy and spend time with him when real life isn't as hectic. <3 What a little kitty bird.

I think in some respects there's a bravery in making this game a bit more quiet and pretty like Ico instead of the slightly more bombastic and game-like SotC. The latter might attract larger crowds, but I feel the former's approach has far less representation in the medium. Or, put another way - there are a ton of games about combat and "epic kills" and swords and such, but far fewer huge budget games that laser focus on friendship, tranquility, and the feel of an old place (that last one is probably a stretch, but hopefully you see where I'm coming from).

Obviously I'm thinking too hard about this, but suffice to say it hits the high notes I got from both the previous titles.

This might sound crazy but The Last Guardian is a better tomb raider game than Tomb Raider.

Environmental puzzles and platforming!

This game is amazing.

I'm too scared to start it. Knowing this may be the last, or that I may not play anything like it for another so many years

I'm going to keep waiting until the time is right

So, Um, spoilers I guess. I'm like, 5 hours in (I think) and I'm stuck
in a tree. I've kicked and screamed my little heart out for the last 15 minutes, and have tried every combination of buttons I can think of. Trico has jumped to my right to try and help me, but then just fell right back down. Any hints on what I'm supposed to do here?

Welp, I'm heading to bed. Can't figure this one out. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I think I just need to refresh and come back to it.

Loving the game so far.
ask him to jump up, he will lower his tail for you to grab. I was so sad seeing my dogbird bloody and injured...

Top Bottom