• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

there's more than one part? fuuuuuck

the beginning i guess, just encountered . . . well, like two hours ago but yaknow
You're talking about when you get separated for the underwater part, and encounter the bad creature? That's what I'm talking about, before you're in the cage

Do you guys play with headphones? I will probably pick this up before Christmas.

Currently am, as the sound is just incredible. For me it's one of the most important aspects! Hearing the birds or the wind or Trico breathing near you is worth it. Really makes the world come alive.

Alucrid

Banned
ok, camera was kind of jarring at first but now it's completely fine. holy shit though, this game. how is an mythical animal that can't even talk the most charming and, well, real character i've encountered in like...all of gaming

question though. are there save points and if not how can you tell the checkpoints?
butterflies?

bigjig

I love exploring the environment in this game. There's so much environmental storytelling going on that in a weird way it reminds me of the Souls games (and yes, I know Ico inspired Miyazaki etc etc)

The atmosphere of the place is incredible, it feels like a real place. It's something that I find really lacking in Uncharted and the new Tomb Raider for example, where you go off to some nook and cranny to find some randomly placed artifact amidst shoulder high walls for the shooting sections.

Climbing everywhere in Uncharted 4 felt laborious to me because everything just felt like a video game level, whereas here I love it because I feel like I'm getting a glimpse at some lost civilization. The puzzles feel organic and not some artificially designed contraption that would never exist.

It's a shame that the camera and framerate issues will put people off the game. I do understand where the complaints are coming from, but what the game offers is so unlike anything anyone else is doing in games at the moment I don't really care. Can't wait to dive back in when I get off work later tonight :)

bumpkin

Grr... No sign of my CE from Amazon yet. I really hope the GAF'er I bought the preorder from isn't stiffing me. I can't PM them because they were banned at some point, and they didn't reply to the email(s) I sent.

On the bright side, I only paid them what they paid ($96 w/ Prime), but I'm still going to be pissed if it doesn't come. And what's worse, I can't file a dispute with PayPal because apparently I didn't send the money as being for "Goods and Services." FML.

You're talking about when you get separated for the underwater part, and encounter the bad creature? That's what I'm talking about, before you're in the cage

the part where it's actively chasing me, flinging me off the side of the cliff. right after you climb its tail to get its attention

oh, i think i finally found the path =/

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Played a solid hour and a half to two hours. I'm not very far because I'm just standing around watching Trico do things because its amazing just observing it scratching itself. I actually wish there was a button you could press that homes the camera in on Trico both for gameplay reasons and just because I fucking love watching it do anything, even mundane actions. Its a testament to just how damn well it animates from facial expressions, body language and just interacting with the environment. I've literally been trying to break the animation system by getting Trico into tighter spaces, trying to spin it around and all this other stuff. Nope its fucking solid.

Now getting onto the elephant in the room. The technical issues. I think this is the game where I realize I'm lucky not to be sensitive to FPS. I've only noticed it once dropping in an outdoor area and even then it felt far better than what I experienced in SotC where things could slow to a crawl during some of the more intense Colossi battles. That said I can see why the game chugs with the scope of the environments and the way all the foliage, feathers and liquids react. Even watching a pile of pots collapse and roll off a cliff was amazing in terms of how well realized the physics. Some pots were shattering as they fell because others landed on them or the fell too far. There is a lot going on under the hood. I'll even say that the way the tree's and grass blows in the wind is some of the best I have ever seen, its so damn life like.

As to the camera and the controls I think the big to say about the camera is set the sensitivity up and be soft with your motions. Its not a camera that works well if you're snapping your stick about hard and fast. I find just a bump here or there or a light push often gets me a far better result than trying to man handle it where I want. This is partially because it seems the camera has a bit of travel to it once you release the stick, almost momentum to an extent. I find this is good to keep in mind because you can often predict where the camera will go when you get down the feel for controlling it. THe camera also seems to also try and keep Trico in the frame in many different parts and that is good to realize, its going to want to move on its own and sometimes it can be annoying but many times it seems to have a bit of purpose.

The controls themselves are classic Ueda and honestly I've had little to no real trouble or issue with them. Climbing on Trico can be a little tricky at first since it operates different to SotC and you tend to stick to Trico. I think the thing with the controls is similar to how you work the camera, lighter touches and pushes of the stick and realizing your character is going to react like a real person and not a typical character you control in games. Its more akin to how Grand Theft Auto games tend to treat movement.

Edit: Also I've had no issues with getting Trico to "do" what I want. I find it rather intuitive but perhaps since I've grown up with dogs I tend to think like I'm dealing with an actual animal which helps. Not only that but Trico often helps alert you to important parts of the environment or objects you need to interact with. Its all rather ingeniously intuitive.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'd say this game rivals Uncharted in how it does fully playable set-pieces that don't take control away from you

Although just riding Trico as it leaps and lunges through the environment feels like a roller coaster ride
The piece you are referencing is what I called my sequence of the generation. It's just so inventive. It subverts expectations and uses all the tools in the game's toolbox together...and on top of that it furthers the themes and plot of the game. It's pure genius and I love it.

Y2Kev

Played a solid hour and a half to two hours. I'm not very far because I'm just standing around watching Trico do things because its amazing just observing it scratching itself. I actually wish there was a button you could press that homes the camera in on Trico both for gameplay reasons and just because I fucking love watching it do anything, even mundane actions. Its a testament to just how damn well it animates from facial expressions, body language and just interacting with the environment. I've literally been trying to break the animation system by getting Trico into tighter spaces, trying to spin it around and all this other stuff. Nope its fucking solid.

Now getting onto the elephant in the room. The technical issues. I think this is the game where I realize I'm lucky not to be sensitive to FPS. I've only noticed it once dropping in an outdoor area and even then it felt far better than what I experienced in SotC where things could slow to a crawl during some of the more intense Colossi battles. That said I can see why the game chugs with the scope of the environments and the way all the foliage, feathers and liquids react. Even watching a pile of pots collapse and roll off a cliff was amazing in terms of how well realized the physics. Some pots were shattering as they fell because others landed on them or the fell too far. There is a lot going on under the hood. I'll even say that the way the tree's and grass blows in the wind is some of the best I have ever seen, its so damn life like.

As to the camera and the controls I think the big to say about the camera is set the sensitivity up and be soft with your motions. Its not a camera that works well if you're snapping your stick about hard and fast. I find just a bump here or there or a light push often gets me a far better result than trying to man handle it where I want. This is partially because it seems the camera has a bit of travel to it once you release the stick, almost momentum to an extent. I find this is good to keep in mind because you can often predict where the camera will go when you get down the feel for controlling it. THe camera also seems to also try and keep Trico in the frame in many different parts and that is good to realize, its going to want to move on its own and sometimes it can be annoying but many times it seems to have a bit of purpose.

The controls themselves are classic Ueda and honestly I've had little to no real trouble or issue with them. Climbing on Trico can be a little tricky at first since it operates different to SotC and you tend to stick to Trico. I think the thing with the controls is similar to how you work the camera, lighter touches and pushes of the stick and realizing your character is going to react like a real person and not a typical character you control in games. Its more akin to how Grand Theft Auto games tend to treat movement.

Edit: Also I've had no issues with getting Trico to "do" what I want. I find it rather intuitive but perhaps since I've grown up with dogs I tend to think like I'm dealing with an actual animal which helps. Not only that but Trico often helps alert you to important parts of the environment or objects you need to interact with. Its all rather ingeniously intuitive.

L1 focuses on trico

SotC would never work on this engine. If the Colossi were as well developed and detailed as Trico no chance in hell I stab them with a sword. It would literally be uncomfortable playing it.

But imagine a SotC on this engine :p

It's finally fucking here!!! Fuck everything else, I'm ghost.
HNNNNGGGG. :3

Enjoy! Nice.

SotC would never work on this engine. If the Colossi were as well developed and detailed as Trico no chance in hell I stab them with a sword. It would literally be uncomfortable playing it.

But imagine a SotC on this engine :p
Just played a part that me want a current-gen SoTC so badly

Haines

Banned
Forced 1080p mode felt necessary last night.

Playing in 4k mode tonight feels fine. Maybe I'm just in better running areas or I'm just too invested to care

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
From Arby's Social Media feed:

IsnON1v.jpg

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
how can i explain this, this game doesn't look good graphically but it looks unbelievable visually, does that makes any sense? i never had this internal debate about visuals on a game ffs, it's like ugly Betty lol

Mik2121

how can i explain this, this game doesn't look good graphically but it looks unbelievable visually, does that makes any sense? i never had this internal debate about visuals on a game ffs, it's like ugly Betty lol
Technically not too good, artistically pretty dang good. Also it has some very small details here and there (like the wall patterns and broken tiles) that make it feel more detail than it really is in general.
I didn't even feel like this when watching the trailers, but after playing just two hours of it, I really think this way.

Art direction, my friend. You don't have to be photorealistic to look amazing

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
I was really looking forward to play this game today. Unfortunately, my Amazon order didn't arrive today. This has happened too much lately to my liking. I might have to re-sub to Best Buy Gamers Club and just get the games locally...

Hope everyone is having a blast with the game. It has been a looooong wait.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Art direction, my friend. You don't have to be photorealistic to look amazing

there are a billion little things the game does that make it look great. Like the ears of Trico when in front of the sun look like skin with the light coming through. Or all the little dust particles in the air that blow with the wind. Lots of effects that arent possible on last gen stuff.

pots555

Got my CE today. It's weird. I never buy collector's edition for any game but I had to get this one. For those still on the fence, the statue is really incredible. I never thought it would be such a high quality figurine. Now, to start the game.

MattyG

Banned
Just got stuck for the first time.
The one where you're in water with a box and Trico is watching through the hole you fell through.
I really want to solve everything on my own, but this one is really stumping me. I feel like I missed something super obvious.

1337Sauce

How do you switch between 4K and 1080p? I don't see any options in the game menu, so I am assuming I will literally have to force my TV into 1080p?

Wounded

How do you switch between 4K and 1080p? I don't see any options in the game menu, so I am assuming I will literally have to force my TV into 1080p?

It's bound to your PS4's tv settings so you'd have to disable 4K in the menu to get 1080p. You have to completely close the game when you want to switch too.

Really enjoying this so far. I haven't had any issues yet that reviewers complained of with Trico not listening, or controls being goofy. But I'm also not very far in. I've been passing the controller back-and-forth with my 6-year old, and impressed how far he has been able to get by himself playing. We just called it quits for the night. Hop back in tomorrow.

jamsy

Are you fucking kidding me, Best Buy?

First, you fuck up my PS4 Pro order (UPS has delayed it due to "operating conditions" which means fuck all). And now I get home from work, and WHERE THE FUCK IS MY FUCKING GAME YOU FUCKS?

Of course the tracking details are all blank. Fuck everything.

Darknight

So I moved few months back and forgot the order i made still had my old address!!

Now it got delivered to that home I dont live in. What can Amazon do? am I boned?

WIsh they would notify you of open orders with an old address.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is amazing, the intricacy of your interactions, the stunningly nuanced animations, the captivatingly believable world. Cant believe it came together after so long, despite loving SotC and ICO.

Ibuki

Banned
Are you fucking kidding me, Best Buy?

First, you fuck up my PS4 Pro order (UPS has delayed it due to "operating conditions" which means fuck all). And now I get home from work, and WHERE THE FUCK IS MY FUCKING GAME YOU FUCKS?

Of course the tracking details are all blank. Fuck everything.

Wow, none of that sounds like it's Best Buy's fault.

You know how the original Ocarina of Time looks better than all those "Here's Kakariko Village in Unreal!" videos?

shiba5

A game can have lackluster graphics and amazing art direction.

I'm really enjoying it EXCEPT for the fps on my PS4. It's making me a bit nauseous. *vurp

Y2Kev

TLG + Crestfallen Soldier - trico - boy + cthulu shit = souls game

Ueda, please keep going. :)

Y2Kev

If you could define the core quality of Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and The Last Guardian in a few words each, what would they be?
If I had to describe the keywords for each of these games, I would say...
Ico: Holding hands, girl, crime, protect, eroticism.
Shadow of the Colossus: Clinging, enormous enemy, punishment, battle, violence.
The Last Guardian: Affection, gigantic friend, pardon, friends, comfort.

http://www.glixel.com/news/soul-mates-the-last-guardian-director-and-dark-souls-creator-w454164

eroticism wat

horns amirite

This game is legit

Brings back all the feeling you look for when playing a team ico game for the first time

Yes, agreed. I can't stop thinking about it. It's both wholly new and at the same time a sort of visual, aural, and design vocabulary that makes the DNA of a Team Ico game. Gives me throwbacks to many years ago when I first played Ico and fell in love with it. This is so good!

Pau

So we're trying to crawl under a hole right at the beginning and can't figure it out. Is there a special button to press besides X to crouch down?

Could someone who knows PM me one particular detail about the ending?
Does Trico die? If he/she does I think this game would be too much for me emotionally to play.

Top Bottom