• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

TrojanAg

I'm an hour and a half and the game runs very stable on the Pro at 1080p. I still can't believe that I'm playing this game right now. It's a very surreal moment.

Really, really wanted to finish this today but I think I have a bug at what I'm assuming is the final part.

End game location spoilers:
I'm at the very top of the tower where you have to disable the fan to climb. I get to the top, the large round flat part, and Trico is nowhere to be found and nothing is up here aside from a statue. I've tried shining my shield at it all over and nothing is triggering. Did manage to find a hole in the back of it and kill myself inside of it though.

Any advice from those that have finished it? Maybe I'm overlooking something.

Edit: Already figured it out. Needed to
disable the fan long enough so Trico can climb up.

Tiktaalik

I am totally baffled by this part early in the game where Trico is sticking his head through these two gates... No idea how to advance.. Not seeing anything and nothing works..

ymgve

That only says to "command it to jump and it will actually swim down" which according to them is R1 + X, which I've pressed like a million times and simply doesn't work. And Trico just loves going on to land again, and then spending minutes before diving back into the water.

edit: Ok, this is just stupid. What finally worked was that I had to dive underwater while next to Trico, then quickly grab on to him when he dives too. Which is not what I did for the first dive (I don't remember exactly what I did, but I'm certain I was sitting on him as he decided to dive then.)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Literally just stepped out of the first cave and

post-41791-supernatural-dean-crying-gif-I-OjsR.gif

I can't believe this is real. This is going to be so special. Once in a lifetime opportunity.

I am totally baffled by this part early in the game where Trico is sticking his head through these two gates... No idea how to advance.. Not seeing anything and nothing works..

Is this after you walked across the broken pillar? If so, keep walking past the two gates, make a right and there's some stairs leading up and back around above where the pillar fell. Call Trico and he'll jump up to join you. Head back to the room and climb on top of him to jump to the side wall to climb out.

Tiktaalik

Is this after you walked across the broken pillar? If so, keep walking past the two gates, make a right and there's some stairs leading up and back around above where the pillar fell. Call Trico and he'll jump up to join you. Head back to the room and climb on top of him to jump to the side wall to climb out.

makes sense. Trico sticking his head through the gates is a bit of a red herring... it's just cute. It almost almost almost seems like you can jump on his head and jump to somewhere

Baliis

Only played about 45 minutes but loving it so far. They really did a fantastic job of making Trico seem like a real animal. I was just saying something last night to my girlfriend about the way our cat walks across the back of our couch and then near the beginning when
Trico walks across the pillar that you knocked over
, its motions are exactly the same. The way it places its feet when it walks like that, the way it sits, that sort of hesitant bounce it does when you're walking under its feet is exactly how our cats act if we have our rats out and they're walking around them. It's just perfect.

Scenery is gorgeous too, every time I step outside I just have to stop and look around for a while.

makes sense. Trico sticking his head through the gates is a bit of a red herring... it's just cute. It almost almost almost seems like you can jump on his head and jump to somewhere

Yep, the game loves to do that. Don't be shy about moving ahead of him. At times, you have to get him to rejoin you.

Illucio

Banned
Okay I'm at the very opening of the game and I've been stuck here for a good 15 minutes. Need help gaf.

I took the first spear out and got most of the barrels. Trico won't let me get the 2nd spear out. And the game keeps telling me he's hungry, and there is nothing but these barrels that he has no interest in.

Okay I'm at the very opening of the game and I've been stuck here for a good 15 minutes. Need help gaf.

I took the first spear out and got most of the barrels. Trico won't let me get the 2nd spear out. And the game keeps telling me he's hungry, and there is nothing but these barrels that he has no interest in.

You need to walk away from him if the barrels are in front of him. He won't eat if your standing too close to him. You'll even get narration telling you that. Put one barrel in front and run away from him. He'll eat it.:) All three barrels need to be eaten to move on.

silva1991

Did you stay far from him? He doesn't eat if you are close.

I wish I saw what y'all see in this but I'm about an hour in and hate basically everything about it, especially the controls and the camera, which feels actually broken sometimes.

(Also I bought it digitally RIP)

Illucio

Banned
You need to walk away from him if the barrels are in front of him. He won't eat if your standing too close to him. You'll even get narration telling you that. Put one barrel in front and run away from him. He'll eat it.:) All three barrels need to be eaten to move on.

Did you stay far from him? He doesn't eat if you are close.

I walked away and he ate them. Thanks gaf :D

I can't believe I just put this together

Ico was their first game

Last Guardian is their third game...

TRico...

Yes welcome to facts known since 2006!

SoTC was code named Nico. TLG was code named Trico.

Ico
Nico
Trico

Ico, Nico is a form of saying the counting numbers 1,2 in Japanese. And Trico not Japanese, but a play on a latin based word for three.

Sami+

It's really weird, thegame doesn't pick up the d-pad inputs on my custom Controller Chaos DS4 I got at CEO. Not modded or anything, worked fine with UC4 and DkS3, plus just now I could go back to the menu and navigate no problem. But when I try using the mirror it just doesn't do anything lol. Bizarre.

I have my launch controller but the analog rubber is kinda torn. Oh well. Anyone else have this problem?

(btw I dig the heck out of it so far)

Baliis

I wish I saw what y'all see in this but I'm about an hour in and hate basically everything about it, especially the controls and the camera, which feels actually broken sometimes.

(Also I bought it digitally RIP)

My only complaint about the camera is the MASSIVE deadzone for actually moving it, like wtf is that? Let me just nudge the camera a little. Sometimes it gets a bit wacky if you're trying to get past Trico in a corridor too, but most games do that to some extent.

Been stumped for an hour at this part so I am looking for help, about 5 or 6 hours in.

In a large circular stone room with what looks like a broken Trico stone statue. Trico lays down and narrator says he is hungry. There are some rail cars in a track that don't seem importent. Found a barrel in a crevice below and got it up. Trico ate it and is active again. No idea where to go. There is a chain hanging down that also doesn't seem to go anywhere. Nothing for Trico to jump too either... I am at a loss.

Almond

Just got done playing the first few hours and I can't believe how beautiful this game is. It's also weird that I'm actually playing it. I've been waiting so many years lol.

But so far its exactly what I thought it would be, and I can't believe how well animated Trico is. I know this game is really going to get to me.

The Lamp

You can. I did :p

This game solves exactly what I complained about earlier this year with Uncharted regarding climbing level design. It's so organic, not brainlessly easy, but cleverly built to feel natural. And it doesn't have arbitrary climbing path options. The route to climb isn't spelled out for me but it makes sense.

For those with early copies who beat it, how far am I?

Did the puzzle where Trico pulls on the chain with the blue bucket to lift the gate. Now working on a collapsing bridge puzzle.

Been stumped for an hour at this part so I am looking for help, about 5 or 6 hours in.

In a large circular stone room with what looks like a broken Trico stone statue. Trico lays down and narrator says he is hungry. There are some rail cars in a track that don't seem importent. Found a barrel in a crevice below and got it up. Trico ate it and is active again. No idea where to go. There is a chain hanging down that also doesn't seem to go anywhere. Nothing for Trico to jump too either... I am at a loss.

Answered this earlier so copying my response from earlier but I cut out the part after.

Pull the mine cart down and climb on it to reach the gate switch to let Trico in if you haven't already.

Also, (small future spoiler)
that chain becomes relevant later.

For those with early copies who beat it, how far am I?

Did the puzzle where Trico pulls on the chain with the blue bucket to lift the gate. Now working on a collapsing bridge puzzle.

Didn't have an early copy but beat it since it went up on PSN.
You're around 30% done.

Loving this game so far, much better than that 'other' game we've waited 10 years for.

Not super happy about the performance on the stock ps4, but I'm dealing with it. The occasionally super low framerate feels more like a bug, whereas the occasional 25fps outdoors seems more just part of the ps4 struggling.

Either way, super inventive game and easily on par with at least Ico so far.

Edit: Oh right, its also freaking gorgeous.

SonicBoom

I did my part and purchased this game to support the developer!

Without a doubt I'm immensely enjoying this game which has so much charm !!!

I hope Team ICO's next game doesn't take 10+ yrs to make but I will patiently wait.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, this game arghhh. When it works I love it, it's Ico 2 with a cute giant bird dog mouse. But fuck, between the camera being zoomed in too close (no camera options either :| ) or spinning around like crazy all the time and hard to control and the AI being all over the place for Trico now that I've gotten the issue controls...it's a really terrible playing game which as a huge fan of Team Ico makes me sad.

I feel like once I got to the issue commands part, the game is problematic because Trico trying to figure out what the fuck I'm telling him means me spending 30 mins in a room trying to get him to go where I want and do what I want while he keeps going the wrong way or climbing up the wrong walls. It was much better before issue commands were a thing.

Anyhow, I'm stuck a few sections past issue commands:
After you get issue command, I jumped past the gap, climbed the ladder, got inside, pulled the gate and opened the first two past the two circle spotlight enemies, Trico killed them both, now I'm in the room with the long bridge and another door at the end. I tell Trico to climb the wall right above the door and it takes me to a platform which takes me to a ladder which takes me through a crawl space to the outside and then I've spent 20 minutes out here and there's nothing I can do? I went back inside and explored around the room and I can't see anything to do inside either? How do I get past the 2nd door?

Spoiler for the bridge area about three hours into the game (it's the E3 2015 demo):
I really like my frantic gesturing being thrown back in my face with Trico imploring me to jump with little flaps of his wings and tilts of his head. It's both a fun subversion of what I've been doing and a good way to show that Trico is connecting with the boy even if he doesn't understand him.
That's quintessential Ueda and great visual storytelling.

I got my copy from Amazon today.

Now that FFXV is going back for more patching to finish that game, I might drop my FFXV playthrough in the short term and play this instead.

It's still hard to believe that 2 games which were announced 10 years ago were released within weeks of each other this year.

Anyone saying this is a dolled up PS2 game is really revealing a lot about themselves.
This is easily the most "next-gen" feeling game I've played on PS4.

There is no other game that has done what this game is doing. Trico is gaming's greatest technical and artistic marvel.

In the 2 hours I've played, Trico feels 100% like a real, thinking creature.

I'd love to know people are doing that they are taking 30 minutes to make Trico do something. At most, it took a few minutes throughout my entire playthrough. Most times, it was less.

Bebpo

Banned
I'd love to know people are doing that they are taking 30 minutes to make Trico do something. At most, it took a few minutes throughout my entire playthrough. Most times, it was less.

The problem is that he doesn't respond instantly. So you tell him to do something and wait and maybe he does it, or maybe he does something else and then you try to course correct him to do something else, but yeah good luck.
For general walking movement once he starts in the wrong direction, it's way quicker to just run on foot and call him than try to confusedly get him to turn around and walk in the correct direction.

They're just being bad. Trico is surprisingly easy to guide.

The game plays very poorly. And this is coming from someone who thinks Ico & SoTC's controls are perfect. I honestly don't even think Trico should've been greenlit. It was a "that's a neat idea" concept, but in actuality it just makes playing the game a pain in the butt.

I got my copy from Amazon today.

Now that FFXV is going back for more patching to finish that game, I might drop my FFXV playthrough in the short term and play this instead.

It's still hard to believe that 2 games which were announced 10 years ago were released within weeks of each other this year.

The Last Guardian wasn't announced 10 years ago only FF15. The Last Guardian was announced back in 2009 still I get what you are saying about how unbelievable it is that 2 games many believed would never release launched days from each other.

SonicBoom

The Last Guardian wasn't announced 10 years ago only FF15. The Last Guardian was announced back in 2009 still I get what you are saying about how unbelievable it is that 2 games many believed would never release launched days from each other.

Shadow of the Colossus was released in October 18, 2005 and fans waited 11+ yrs :D

The Last Guardian for PS3 "The game was first announced in February 2007 through a full-page advertisement in the Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu. It was shown publicly for the first time in trailer form at E3 2009"

The problem is that he doesn't respond instantly. So you tell him to do something and wait and maybe he does it, or maybe he does something else and then you try to course correct him to do something else, but yeah good luck.
For general walking movement once he starts in the wrong direction, it's way quicker to just run on foot and call him than try to confusedly get him to turn around and walk in the correct direction.
You don't need to guide or course-correct. Or are you issuing tons of commands to try to get him to come? One to four times is enough. Also make sure he's looking at you; I found that helps.

It becomes an issue when puzzles become more obscure and you're not 100% certain what to do next.
Often Trico is the one that guides you. If you're stuck, watch what he does.

Top Bottom