• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Thank you! I know it's bugged, I know it's not the way it's supposed to work, but like...nobody in here has wanted to say "wow that seems like a bad bug". I was met with multiple "you're doing it wrong" posts. Acknowledgement that it isn't perfect and that it's not user error, that's what I was looking for and so baffled that no one would say (other than the mod, and even then he made a comment about how it was likely user error).

o_0

https://youtu.be/zi8ShAosqzI ?

I mean it looks fine; the art direction is nice; Trico has a shitton of feathers; but the lighting and level of detail doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary on PS4. Certainly nothing to justify the horrible framerate. Shadow of the Colossus also ran like crap but that game did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware; here it just feels like the engine is old and crappy

You aren't playing in HDR then. Just the transition from day lightning to night lighting in the first area was staggering.

Lol what. I mean, c'mon that is not the same. Do I really have to explain how that's not the same? I wasn't looking for attention, I wanted to actually talk about the issues I had with the game and it took forever for someone to acknowledge that maybe I was having bugs and not just a meatheaded idiot who didn't understand how to play it.

I feel crazy. I've played about three hours so far and spent a good chunk of it really frustrated trying to get Trico to do what I want. I'd try to get him to do something, he wouldn't do it, so I'd assume that's not the solution. 10-15 mins later I check a guide only to find my original guess WAS the solution, then I spent an additional 4-5 minutes desperately trying to persuade Trico to do the thing I now know for a fact is the solution.

This situation has happened to me twice now, and it's made the experience more frustrating than enjoyable. I'm not getting a good grasp of what I can/can't expect Trico to do because he's unreliable for me.

But I check this thread and everyone's saying the game is amazing and perfect and I'm like "what the hell....?"

Nothing indicates that your experiencing bugs and hence alot of people tried to help.
To which you responded "guys i know its a bug, i just want people to acknowledge it!".

mike6467

I'm enjoying the game, but man, the controls and some of the interactions are really jarring sometimes. Like...oh, I could hang from that? It looks identical to all the other things I couldn't hang on and were completely irrelevant, but I guess that one is critical to progressing.

I really want to lose myself here because the game is oozing with atmosphere, but it seems like every time I get in a flow and am really feeling things, my progress gets broken up by something stupid and completely unrelated to the intended challenge of the game, and it completely takes me out of it.

Guymelef

I'm enjoying the game, but man, the controls and some of the interactions are really jarring sometimes. Like...oh, I could hang from that? It looks identical to all the other things I couldn't hang on and were completely irrelevant, but I guess that one is critical to progressing.

? Not seeing any of this... if you can reach it, you can hang on it...

Nothing indicates that your experiencing bugs and hence alot of people tried to help.
To which you responded "guys i know its a bug, i just want people to acknowledge it!".

Wanna try and read my several successive posts? The ones where I go into detail and people still kept telling me I was just doing it wrong? That was what I was referring to.

Jesus, again, I don't get why I have to explain this.

• I said I was having issues
  • People tried to help
  • I gave details to show why their help didn't apply. Clear descriptions that the game was bugging out on me.
  • I was still met with people telling me I was either playing it wrong or looking at it wrong.
  • Finally you acknowledged it was clear the game was buggy for me.
  • I thanked you.
  • Now I'm told I am JUST fishing for attention/acknowledgement all along.

Like....no? Seeking acknowledgement only became a goal after nobody would acknowledge that my issues were bugs.

BeeDog

Received my copy an hour ago. Like many have already said, I can't believe the game is finally here, omg.

Anyway, just managed to
leave the first room and jump into the first water after getting the mirror/shield
. Can't game anymore today, but first impression is awesome. And most surprising, the audio is excellent so far!

Can already feel this is going to be a magical game.

Played a few hours last night. Absolutely brilliant and breathtaking.

Not sure why this thread is getting derailed tho.

I know I'm the "cause" of the derail, but I don't get why it's been derailed either. My last post summed up the whole thing, it can be moved on from at this point.

In response to the bolded, when the game stayed working right for me, those periods of time were so awesome. I'm holding out some sort of hope that maybe I shouldn't have been playing it without the day one patch and that will fix some of my issues.

mike6467

? Not seeing any of this... if you can reach it, you can hang on it...

Really? I can't hang off a lot of the things that look like ledges, but several have been the key to progressing, so anytime I'm not sure where to go, and I see anything that looks like a ledge, I end up checking it, then running around testing everything in the room. Jesus that sure is a run-on sentence...Too lazy to change it though...

Also, this odd for me, as I rarely do it, but I'm really looking forward to replaying the game, knowing what's going on and being able to just stroll through it seems like it will make for a super relaxing, entertaining experience.

Really? I can't hang off a lot of the things that look like ledges, but several have been the key to progressing, so anytime I'm not sure where to go, and I see anything that looks like a ledge, I end up checking it, then running around testing everything in the room. Jesus that sure is a run-on sentence...Too lazy to change it though...

Also, this odd for me, as I rarely do it, but I'm really looking forward to replaying the game, knowing what's going on and being able to just stroll through it seems like it will make for a super relaxing, entertaining experience.

You're not alone, I've felt like this a little bit too. It becomes more clear as you progress what you can and can't grab on, but I've had times where it looked like I should be able to hang from something and I couldn't or vice versa.

Again though, it became more clear over time as you familiarize yourself with the games rules.

b0bbyJ03

Bought this game based of the impressions in this thread and so far its a mixed bag for me but I only played the first 30 minutes. Everything is awesome but the camera is driving me crazy. lol

jluedtke

My only problem with the game is that the way the rooms are designed, there are a lot of "false paths". I seem to spend a lot of time trying to reach a ledge, a door, or a path that - after much trial and error - I find that I'm not supposed to reach. There was one wooden stairway leading up a cliffside and to a door that I spent nearly thirty minutes trying to navigate. Turns out that wasn't where I was supposed to go at all. This seems to happen a lot in the game.

Not that I'm asking for Uncharted-style glowing ledges or anything.

My only problem with the game is that the way the rooms are designed, there are a lot of "false paths". I seem to spend a lot of time trying to reach a ledge, a door, or a path that - after much trial and error - I find that I'm not supposed to reach. There was one wooden stairway leading up a cliffside and to a door that I spent nearly thirty minutes trying to navigate. Turns out that wasn't where I was supposed to go at all. This seems to happen a lot in the game.

I know exactly what part you're talking about and I did it too. Did you miss the jump between walkways that seems like it should be really easy to make?

jluedtke

I know exactly what part you're talking about and I did it too. Did you miss the jump between walkways that seems like it should be really easy to make?

YES! It was infuriating! I actually had to go to YouTube to watch a video to see how to do it. The YouTube player was doing the same thing I was until he just wandered into the other room and went a completely different way.

Guymelef

To me this is why I think level design is so good, everything is designed with love even if it's not a "playable" area.

YES! It was infuriating! I actually had to go to YouTube to watch a video to see how to do it. The YouTube player was doing the same thing I was until he just wandered into the other room and went a completely different way.

That exact location is one of the things I was criticizing earlier. Where I went into the room you're supposed to go in first, but after 15-20 minutes of Trico not doing anything, I left and went for the walkway you went for. After watching a YouTube video I saw I was supposed to go through that original room. Went back, tried a ton of stuff, even tried climbing up into the exact same spot the guy in the YouTube video did, and Trico still just stood there not doing anything.

After a couple checkpoint resets and repeating the same process, he finally jumped up to where he was supposed to go.

Yeah, this bugged me too. Sometimes there are hidden barrels in these paths but it doesn't feel like enough of a reward for the other times when they lead nowhere.

Sounds like you are,
I had no such issues in the 5 hours of playing the game, but I don't blame you it took me like 20 minutes to figure out
collar and a lever in his neck
:/

jluedtke

Sounds like you are,
I had no such issues in the 5 hours of playing the game, but I don't blame you it took me like 20 minutes to figure out
collar and a lever in his neck
:/

Ha! It took me a couple minutes on that one, too.

But no, I'm really not asking for giant "GO HERE" arrows. I just got really irritated in that one particular room because that path looked to be so obviously the way to go that I was determined to get to that damned door. Turns out I was just slamming my head against the wall.

SomTervo

Lol what. I mean, c'mon that is not the same. Do I really have to explain how that's not the same? I wasn't looking for attention, I wanted to actually talk about the issues I had with the game and it took forever for someone to acknowledge that maybe I was having bugs and not just a meatheaded idiot who didn't understand how to play it.

Somebody in the Early Impressions thread flagged up that they had to restart the game a couple of times due to physics and AI bugs.

It's a pain but perhaps try that whenever Trico seems broken?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, this bugged me too. Sometimes there are hidden barrels in these paths but it doesn't feel like enough of a reward for the other times when they lead nowhere.
I don't get this though. Functionally the original poster is actually asking for glowing ledges if side paths that appear to be red herrings (keep playing to see how levels interlock) are considered diversionary or distracting. That there are options that appear to be the way forward but then are not in a puzzle platformer would seem to be a strength to me. I think the game does a pretty good job at leading people in the right direction through clues with lighting, texturing, and watching Trico, but I like that there's a side path around one side of the mountain early on, for example, that goes no where. It helps to build the impression that this is a real place (as opposed to a set, like with Uncharted or modern Tomb Raider).

I mean there's one central area with what appears to be a stray chain in the center. I was dead set on using it to climb but it wasn't the right way to go. That I kept doing it while Trico just laid around seemed to help hammer the message home that I wasn't getting it.

If people are getting struck by repeated glitches then that's obviously unfortunate.

hemo memo

Gold Member
buy it man. It actually plays better than shadow of colossus and I still found SOC enjoyable as fuck

I mean unless your gonna get a ps4 pro before getting spoiled, buy it asap.

img_1492nakpc.jpg

Patch 1.02 downloading.

mike6467

I don't get this though. Functionally the original poster is actually asking for glowing ledges if side paths that appear to be red herrings (keep playing to see how levels interlock) are considered diversionary or distracting. That there are options that appear to be the way forward but then are not in a puzzle platformer would seem to be a strength to me. I think the game does a pretty good job at leading people in the right direction through clues with lighting, texturing, and watching Trico, but I like that there's a side path around one side of the mountain early on, for example, that goes no where. It helps to build the impression that this is a real place (as opposed to a set, like with Uncharted or modern Tomb Raider).

Ugh, reading that makes me think this game may not be for me. I'm only a few hours in and stuff like this just isn't my idea of fun, and I'm usually a huge fan of puzzle platformers. My roommate loves it though, so I may just let her finish it and enjoy the ride without the frustration.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
I have an issue and I don't know if it was discussed in this thread or not since I'm spoilers sensitive didn't want to risk.

THE BUTTONS PROMPTS/HINTS IN THIS GAME IS KILLING ME.

It is destroying any immersion or little fun I have in this game.

Is this just in the beginning and it will go away? Have there been many complains about it? and if so do Ueda, sony know about it?

I actually like the level design - or the lack thereof of Team ICO's games. His worlds feel more lived-in and organic as opposed to "video game" levels. His games break so many fundamental rules of the core game mechanics that have been trivialized and standardized by arcade/RPG genres before. Which is why I have no problem navigating their worlds, even if it leads up to "false paths" because by simply observing the architecture, you can make mental image of how the pathways can interconnect and lead up and usually you'd be right. This is a masterclass of level orientation because it borrows real world navigation without betraying your expectations you've surmised. Granted I've only played a few hours of the game and not once did I feel "lost" because of this - and it being a staple in previous Team ICO games is a testiment to their approach to game design in general.

The more I play it, the more I understand where the frustrations are coming from. This concept is far too foreign to them and the idea of discovery, exploration, and player-agency goes against their idea of what "gaming" is. There's too many handholding elements in almost every other game that the average player is starting to look for the same patterns in others. So it comes to no surprise why we're seeing reactions like this when the start to apply other logic into Team ICO's games.

Somebody in the Early Impressions thread flagged up that they had to restart the game a couple of times due to physics and AI bugs.

It's a pain but perhaps try that whenever Trico seems broken?

I've reset checkpoints and that seems to work. Hoping the patch I just downloaded helps.

Risible

Has anyone finished the game? If so could you reply to this and post in spoilers (or PM me) if Trico or the kid dies? I'm in a spot in my life where I'm not down for a sad game. Thanks!

xrnzaaas

I'm close to the end of the game, but not just there yet.

The scene with
Trico's beating heart had me in tears (and panicking to find the barrels) and that almost never happens when I play a video game.
For once I'm scared to get to the end. :/

I don't think the poster is asking for glowing ledges at all. I think they're asking for some sort of satisfactory outcome for an obstacle overcome even if it isn't the path forward. For example, in the OG Tomb Raider games, there are plenty of dead ends but usually this exploration is rewarded with an item of some sort. Same can be said for Dark Souls which is about as organic as a game world as I can think of. If there is a seeming dead end or non-progression way to go, it tends to be worth it in some capacity.

I'm not playing the game so I can't comment on TLG in itself, but I would say the poster has an issue with the seemingly pointless exercise of struggling to reach an area and getting no 'reward' in any form.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The reward for picking the right path is that you progress in the game (the punishment for picking the wrong path is that you don't). I hope your interpretation is not what he's saying (I don't think it is--I think your post is a misinterpretation and based on your posts in the thread I don't think you'd enjoy this game at all), but this is not how Team Ico makes video games.

The "false" (again keep playing) paths serve to make puzzles puzzley and the word more believable. I think there is something to be said for glitches and or bugs preventing Trico from responding to the correct solutions, but not for the elimination of potentially correct ones. Especially not because you don't get a "reward" in the form of some item or something. That's just not designing by subtraction.

I don't think the poster is asking for glowing ledges at all. I think they're asking for some sort of satisfactory outcome for an obstacle overcome even if it isn't the path forward. For example, in the OG Tomb Raider games, there are plenty of dead ends but usually this exploration is rewarded with an item of some sort. Same can be said for Dark Souls which is about as organic as a game world as I can think of. If there is a seeming dead end or non-progression way to go, it tends to be worth it in some capacity.

I'm not playing the game so I can't comment on TLG in itself, but I would say the poster has an issue with the seemingly pointless exercise of struggling to reach an area and getting no 'reward' in any form.
Why would there be a reward? It's not a game with loot or unlocks or things like that, and why would there be some reward or item waiting in a random room in a ruined place?

Why would there be a reward? It's not a game with loot or unlocks or things like that, and why would there be some reward or item waiting in a random room in a ruined place?

Because it's a video game and that tends to be satisfying and fun after overcoming an obstacle. I got nothing better for ya.

I've played Ueda's other games and don't recall them having many 'dead ends' that can appear to be the way to progression so I suppose I shouldn't comment, just don't think the poster in question necessarily asked for glowing platforms. I don't think that was the tone of their question but rather closer to what I said.

Juraash

So I got home last night and out something like...3 or 4 hours in when all was said and done. Overall impressions are really positive. Trico is a pretty amazing character all around and I'm blown away by how real he(?) seems.

I also really enjoy how the game kind of discards a lot of the typical...game shit. It expects you to figure a lot of it out on your own and you really have to approach it like you're playing with a real animal.

I definitely had a moment where the game made me check myself. I assumed I knew how to progress, tried to get Trico's help and it just would not happen. Ultimately I found the solution was much more straightforward than I had tried to make it. Felt like a bit of a dingus afterwards, but live and learn. Also I got to a puzzle that I could just not figure out. The bones of it were obvious enough, but I couldn't grasp what the goal ultimately was. As it got later and I got more tired I definitely was not on my game, so I called it for the night. That said, Trico has been mostly cooperative and not at all a point of frustration. All the hang ups I've had so far have been entirely my own doing.

Also the framerate has been good enough on my launch system. Noticed one place where it chugged a bit more but it was brief and not a big deal.

The camera has also been fine more or less. I took people's advice and just cranked the sensitivity all the ways up from the start. It's not like most game cameras, but once you get a feel for it it's perfectly usable.

So again, really enjoying it so far. The world is beautiful, Trico is wonderful and so far the game has been giving me the warm fuzzies. I've been waiting so long for this to come out, it's almost surreal to be experiencing it first hand.

Adryuu

there are unlocks...

Speaking of which, has anybody found anything? In the early impressions someone talked about finding a garden or something, which didn't lead anywhere but was cool. I think I didn't find that. Then after finishing I've looked the trophies and... well. I didn't find shit I guess.

Can somebody spoiler tag images or videos or something pertaining to those trophies? I mean:

find and equip clothes? What.

Also I may have found the way to something but didn't know how to get in after much, much later, without the option to go back. Don't open if haven't played until almost the very end:
earlier in the game, in a corridor, I found a statue without helmet that clearly had some empty space behind! But then I didn't know I could activate it with a helmet and get it out the way so I couldn't explore behind even if it was clear there was something. Maybe an empty room, maybe food, maybe something else, or a path to some place, or nothing.

My advice is not to look what the trophies are until finishing the game, btw. Not at all.

Finding the right path is a reward in and of itself but when I look back on Shadow of the Colossus, there were things like white-tailed lizards to keep an eye out for. This game has barrels but they don't have the sense of progression that those did. Though, honestly, I don't know what you'd upgrade. Maybe little tricks Trico could do. I don't know.

Top Bottom