• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Mdk7

It's easy to love the game if you have human emotion imo

Ludonarrative dissonance is such a big topic in the industry these days. I feel like someone should write about how this game is such a great example of ludonarrative harmony. It comes with it some "baggage" that you see a lot of people complain about to make sure what the game is telling you / showing you are consistent with what you can do as a player. Maybe I'll do that.

ahahah yeah, pretty much.

Oneself

I've had no problem commanding Trico by simply holding R1 and pushing the left stick towards where I want him to go/jump and that's exactly what the game tells you to do.
Just sit behind his neck and enjoy the ride.

That being said, I remember the freaking Famitsu "unveiling" back in 2007 or 2008... It's truly amazing to be playing that game today. And it's just as magical as I expected it to be, even more so.

leng jai

Anyone else get a Steelbook that has black marks on it? Bummed. Everything else looks good so I don't think I can be stuffed returning it.

brau

So. Something wrong with my save file.

Game turns on fine, then it loads the monster sliders fine, fades to black to start and then it stays on the black screen. Tried to load 3 times now, same result. :( I'll be sad if i have to restart this.

Anyone else having this issue?

Ludonarrative dissonance is such a big topic in the industry these days. I feel like someone should write about how this game is such a great example of ludonarrative harmony. It comes with it some "baggage" that you see a lot of people complain about to make sure what the game is telling you / showing you are consistent with what you can do as a player. Maybe I'll do that.

Ah got it. So I'm most likely going to cry.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
So. Something wrong with my save file.

Game turns on fine, then it loads the monster sliders fine, fades to black to start and then it stays on the black screen. Tried to load 3 times now, same result. :( I'll be sad if i have to restart this.

Anyone else having this issue?

Yep i had this issue. Had to delete my save file. Luckily i was right at the beginning when it happened.

Audioboxer

image.php

Please do. I'm on my way to buy the game now because you guys are too much. My soul can't take it anymore!!

I am having issues with NOT wanting to play more than an hour per day so I don't finish the game :(((

I am really anxious to get home and start playing again

I feel crazy. I've played about three hours so far and spent a good chunk of it really frustrated trying to get Trico to do what I want. I'd try to get him to do something, he wouldn't do it, so I'd assume that's not the solution. 10-15 mins later I check a guide only to find my original guess WAS the solution, then I spent an additional 4-5 minutes desperately trying to persuade Trico to do the thing I now know for a fact is the solution.

This situation has happened to me twice now, and it's made the experience more frustrating than enjoyable. I'm not getting a good grasp of what I can/can't expect Trico to do because he's unreliable for me.

But I check this thread and everyone's saying the game is amazing and perfect and I'm like "what the hell....?"

wapplew

I feel crazy. I've played about three hours so far and spent a good chunk of it really frustrated trying to get Trico to do what I want. I'd try to get him to do something, he wouldn't do it, so I'd assume that's not the solution. 10-15 mins later I check a guide only to find my original guess WAS the solution, then I spent an additional 4-5 minutes desperately trying to persuade Trico to do the thing I now know for a fact is the solution.

This situation has happened to me twice now, and it's made the experience more frustrating than enjoyable. I'm not getting a good grasp of what I can/can't expect Trico to do because he's unreliable for me.

But I check this thread and everyone's saying the game is amazing and perfect and I'm like "what the hell....?"

I have same problem first 15-30 minutes when I can give command to Trico.
It's trail and error, after a while it click and Trico follow my command 80% of the time. It feel so good.
The key for me, don't give to many command to frequent, give one command, watch Trico react.

Theres loads of little tips and tricks you can do to improve your relationship with trico, the game does try to make this clear for one thing.Not really sure how to spoiler tag this, but its very early into the game
Petting in different places
Also when you get more command, the game does try to make it clear they arent commands.

I've had no problem commanding Trico by simply holding R1 and pushing the left stick towards where I want him to go/jump and that's exactly what the game tells you to do.
Just sit behind his neck and enjoy the ride.

Yeah, I had the most success using the plain R1 command with a direction and holding it. Using R1 with the face buttons would sometimes cause Trico to get confused and jump backwards on occasion.

Here's a tip I wish I knew earlier:
when Trico knocks over enemies but doesn't outright kill them, you can go up to their knocked over bodies and finish them off by pulling off their helmet with circle.

You can knock enemies off of ledges too but I wouldn't recommend it. Have fallen off a time or two trying it but it's awfully funny watching them plummet.

Here's a tip to get Trico to do what you ask him to do (assuming you already know how to give all the commands):

Don't spam Trico with commands even if it's the same command. For example, if you want him to jump, tell him to jump once and wait for him to adjust his stance and prepare to jump.
if you spam him jump jump jump jump hey trico jump jump, he'll be confused.

Yeah, I had the most success using the plain R1 command with a direction and holding it. Using R1 with the face buttons would sometimes cause Trico to get confused and jump backwards on occasion.

Here's a tip I wish I knew earlier:
when Trico knocks over enemies but doesn't outright kill them, you can go up to their knocked over bodies and finish them off by pulling off their helmet with circle.

You can knock enemies off of ledges too but I wouldn't recommend it. Have fallen off a time or two trying it but it's awfully funny watching them plummet.

Tag that.

Ecto311

We are in about 2 hours and my wife is playing with my daughter next to her. They haven't enjoyed a game this much together in years. I got it for them thinking it looks cool but not knowing too much. They love how trico interacts with the kid and how cute he is. It's fantastic so far. Just hope it doesn't go south super bad and make my kid get face tattoos in the future.

Ultimately I've decided to hold off for now and see if any future patches address the seemingly finicky AI, button prompt toggle and/or camera issues. If any of it is improved, I'll definitely pick it up at full price but if not, I'll wait for GameStop $17.99 used copy.

beril

Not true.

I mean it looks fine; the art direction is nice; Trico has a shitton of feathers; but the lighting and level of detail doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary on PS4. Certainly nothing to justify the horrible framerate. Shadow of the Colossus also ran like crap but that game did some crazy things with the PS2 hardware; here it just feels like the engine is old and crappy

tanuki

I haven't had any problems with Trico following commands. You only need to call him once, but he'll take his own sweet time to come over to where you want him to be. Gives you some time to enjoy the amazing animation while he ambles over.

Whoever recommended bumping up the camera sensitivity to full, thanks for that. It's a massive improvement over the default setting.

AzureFlame

Finished the game

10/10, the game made me feel like a kid again, beautiful masterpiece that i will never forget.

Thank you Ueda and to the team from bottom of my heart.

Rozart

We are in about 2 hours and my wife is playing with my daughter next to her. They haven't enjoyed a game this much together in years. I got it for them thinking it looks cool but not knowing too much. They love how trico interacts with the kid and how cute he is. It's fantastic so far. Just hope it doesn't go south super bad and make my kid get face tattoos in the future.

Haha, that's lovely!

Cant respond without potentially spoiling something, so you might not wanna read it.
Game never tells you about this and the reverse of this mechanic is a puzzle later on.

I've finished the game and yeah,
it does. However, from a story/lore perspective, I thought it was fairly obvious that they weren't human so I was only thinking about it in that framing.

Patch13

I've found that when I treat Trico like a real cat (or dog), things go a lot better. For example, when I call him up to a ledge, I step back a few paces, because I think that Trico is worried about stepping on me, and I also think that he just doesn't like people being up in his face all the time (like the opening,
where he won't eat the barrel if you're standing too close
).

It's hard to tell how much of what I do actually registers with the AI, and how much is just me developing superstitions. I think that's the intent of the designers, though -- they want you to suspend your disbelief and treat Trico like an actual living creature. It's not that different from talking to your cats -- they don't actually get what you're saying, but the talking can help you, as the human, have a bit of patience, and work out the body language or whatever you need to adopt in order to convince the cat that it would be a good idea to maybe stop walking on the kitchen counter just now ...

silva1991

I reached the point where the
narrator is telling me about how the boy and trico starting to understand each other and then the game will tell me about other commands.

After that I ordered Trico to smash to boxes and take me to 3 places and he listened almost instantly.

I will see if this stays for the rest of the game, because right now he is the opposite of stubborn.

I've found that when I treat Trico like a real cat (or dog), things go a lot better. For example, when I call him up to a ledge, I step back a few paces, because I think that Trico is worried about stepping on me, and I also think that he just doesn't like people being up in his face all the time (like the opening,
where he won't eat the barrel if you're standing too close
).

This game gives you a few vague hints that it expects you to treat trico like an animal, not code that will act on command.
Regarding example
obviously its hard to be sure, but this definitely seems to be the case.

I reached the point where the
narrator is telling me about how the boy and trico starting to understand each other and then the game will tell me about other commands.

After that I ordered Trico to smash to boxes and take me to 3 places and he listened almost instantly.

I will see if this stays for the rest of the game, because right now he is the opposite of stubborn.

He never really is, you just have to figure out what hes misunderstanding or if you are the one doing something wrong.(like the post above)

The Lamp

Ultimately I've decided to hold off for now and see if any future patches address the seemingly finicky AI, button prompt toggle and/or camera issues. If any of it is improved, I'll definitely pick it up at full price but if not, I'll wait for GameStop $17.99 used copy.

I'd say the button prompts are often useful because the controls are not exactly intuitive (X to drop down, triangle to jump, circle to grab, square to shove), but yeah they do get old. The camera and AI are not a problem most of the time. I don't get people.

I think you're not thinking about him the right way. He's an animal and your ability to command him increases as the game goes. Regardless, I almost never have issues ever since the beginning. Stand in one place and hit R1 to beckon him. Do it a couple of times if you're urgent. He will then come to you. If you can't figure out what to do or if he is extremely distracted, try climbing onto him to reach a new height. It's really as simple as that for me.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Who's playing on orginal PS4? For someone who played ICO and SotC on PS2 and played the remaster on PS3 and find it ok, is performance here very bad that it might affect the experience?

Thank you.

I think you're not thinking about him the right way. He's an animal and your ability to command him increases as the game goes. Regardless, I almost never have issues ever since the beginning. Stand in one place and hit R1 to beckon him. Do it a couple of times if you're urgent. He will then come to you. If you can't figure out what to do or if he is extremely distracted, try climbing onto him to reach a new height. It's really as simple as that for me.

When I know he's supposed to raise his head to lift me up somewhere, and I watched a video to show we're in the right spot, and I sit there for minutes on end and he just doesn't do anything that's not fun. I don't care what the reasoning is behind it, I don't care what the technical intent is behind it, and I don't care if I'm not "thinking about Trico the right way" (which is a poor excuse for something not working right). Ico and Shadow are two of my favorite games of all time. I didn't have to put up with this sort of crap to enjoy them. Solving a puzzle was about me using the mechanics that were clear and responsive to solve the puzzle, not constantly questioning if I can or can't do something because I need an inconsistent AI to cooperate with me.

It's not fun. It's just him sitting there preventing me from progressing because he's not doing something I've looked up and confirmed he is supposed to do. Finicking around and standing in different places and petting him in different spots and calling and pointing and then just sitting and waiting isn't fun. It's not me solving a puzzle at that point, it's me just testing my patience waiting for the game to do something.

For what it's worth I've seen videos where it's flawless for some people. I saw a video of someone playing and as soon as they entered the area Trico immediately did what he was supposed to do without the player doing anything, but for me that exact same section was, and I'm not joking I timed it, nearly 20 minutes of me fumbling around trying to figure out what to do or get Trico to do something.

When it's working right and I'm able to execute on what I want to do it's really cool, but half the time that's not what's happening for me.

Who's playing on orginal PS4? For someone who played ICO and SotC on PS2 and played the remaster on PS3 and find it ok, is performance here very bad that it might affect the experience?

Thank you.

The framerate never ruined the experience, the hitching which possibly happens on ps4 pro too did.

When I know he's supposed to raise his head to lift me up somewhere, and I watched a video to show we're in the right spot, and I sit there for minutes on end and he just doesn't do anything that's not fun. I don't care what the reasoning is behind it, I don't care what the technical intent is behind it, and I don't care if I'm not "thinking about Trico the right way" (which is a poor excuse for something not working right).
I can break this down in spoiler threads,list of reasons which will stop trico doing something
He doesn't want to, because its scary/unpleasent for him.But he will do it, if you can convince him. i.e jump in the water first,will convince him to jump in with you
Your giving him orders and he cant see you, dont stand on the top of his heard. He'll turn around to look at you if you are giving him orders.
You are in the way, he needs you to move etc.
He already tried doing something multiple times and you ignored it.
You are giving him too many commands and he will show confusion.
If you want him to go up, just tell him to move in that direction.Jump means jump for this guy.
If you want him to go in a direction, point the camera and centre it in the direction. I.e to go vertically down, point the camera at floor.
He's distracted and interested in something else, to which you can hold r1 to get his attention.
Probably missed stuff, since theres aload of stuff the game doesnt care to tell you, which is fine by me.

Top Bottom