• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Well we've already found one of them.

image.php

nOoblet16

I get that the game has the trademark Team Icon movement that feels weighty but they could have similar animations and feel of weight and yet not have this much input lag. I am pretty sure that it is mostly input lag and not really design decision because even the camera suffers from it...since I don't see why the camera should have a laggy responsiveness.

I'm still early in the game and it really feels like an old game but I guess that's what makes it unique at the same time.

brau

I get that the game has the trademark Team Icon movement that feels weighty but they could have similar animations and feel of weight and yet not have this much input lag. I am pretty sure that it is mostly input lag and not really design decision because even the camera suffers from it...since I don't see why the camera should have a laggy responsiveness.

I'm still early in the game and it really feels like an old game but I guess that's what makes it unique at the same time.

Have you tried setting the camera movement in the settings to be higher? I set mine a bit higher and it helped A LOT!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
So does anyone know what triggers
Trico pooping
because there is a trophy tied to it and it just kind of happened at random. I'm guessing feeding it?
Just mess around without progressing or try going idle for a minute. That's how she did for me and I was like WTF is this trophy. Then I was like WTF is this
piss orb I can carry!?
Still don't know why you can carry em and what you can do with it. There must be some secret to
le piss

Any other Collector's Edition types have a damaged art book? I'm wondering if I just got the shortest end of the stick or if this is an on going problem.

For anyone wondering, the hardcover and binding look stunning, but there are about seven or so interior pages that have been damaged, as if someone put a hole punch through the pages. It may be worth checking, if you haven't already.

I'm being told to ask for a replacement via Amazon, who is out of stock :(

Owensboro

Hey superNESjoe, this is going to seem like a stupid question but I didn't see you mention it. Have you completely shut down your PS4 recently, or are you just using suspend mode? I've found that sometimes a full shutdown helps with certain games.

It's the first thing I noticed before starting the game. If you press down on the game icon on the ps4 dashboard, you will see the digital manual in the content section.
I feel like such an idiot for not remembering you can do that with most games. That's absolutely the first thing I'm doing when I get home. The manual doesn't spoil anything major, does it (potential future abilities or commands)?

Alright so I'm so afraid of entering this thread. FFXV has been taking a lot of my free time (along with RL-stuff) but I'm wondering something... SotC is one of my favorite games of all time. How does this stand in comparison to it? I really like ICO as well.

From what I've played (5 hours) this game is more ICO than SotC, with the power dynamic being flipped. You rely more on your "colossus" Trico to do most of fighting and you do most of the puzzle solving, all the while trying to coax Trico into doing what needs to be done next. It's like having a big pet dog that isn't trained well.

The Goat

Trico is one of the best realized creatures I've ever seen. So well done. Ueda and his team are so good at making me care for these characters, its astounding. I feel I'm getting close to the end, but I really don't want it to end.

My only gripes, are the lack of options for turning off prompts, the camera system, and not having resolution options in the menu. Two of these are easy fixes, so I'm sure they will be added in subsequent patches. The camera, has too much ease in and out for my taste. It can make me slightly nauseous, but not to the point I can't play or want to stop.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yea Trico is definitely more canine than feline. She even howls at times like a baby wolf, which is the cutest damn thing ever. God damn I love this beast. :3

RE: Controls

Is "Contemplate" a hint system or something? I don't remember using that button at all.
I saw someone way back post a picture of the boy sitting in a Yoga pose. My first bet is that it's that. Not sure what it does though, will try later today.

Mezoly

Hey superNESjoe, this is going to seem like a stupid question but I didn't seem you mention it. Have you completely shut down your PS4 recently, or are you just using suspend mode? I've found that sometimes a full shutdown helps with certain games.

I feel like such an idiot for not remembering you can do that with most games. That's absolutely the first thing I'm doing when I get home. The manual doesn't spoil anything major, does it (potential future abilities or commands)?

From what I've played (5 hours) this game is more ICO than SotC, with the power dynamic being flipped. You rely more on your "colossus" Trico to do most of fighting and you do most of the puzzle solving, all the while trying to coax Trico into doing what needs to be done next. It's like having a big pet dog that isn't trained well.
Most of the controls have been posted above. But it doesn't spoil any new mechanic if you have reached the E3 demo area.

ymgve

Those of you that have completed the game on Pro in 1080p mode - was the framerate completely garbage for large sections of the endgame for you, or was it stable? Not sure it's just an unoptimized game or because I played the whole game without rebooting.

Also the manual excerpts above combined with the VG247 walkthrough earlier just shows how inconsistent people's experience with the controls are. According to the manual R1 + X is "cancel", but VG247 thinks R1 + X is "jump".

NAPK1NS

You are doing something very wrong, post a video of how your trying to get trico to do things?
So it's after Trico rolls around the in shallow water. After the introduction of the enchanted armor guys. There's a small arching bridge that's been busted in half. Trico vaults over it. Once on the other side there is makeshift wooden scaffolding that I need to get lifted onto (the walkthrough showed this). Unfortunately Trico just meanders around like an idiot and refuses to do the animation needed to get me high enough to reach.

barit

Pretty impressive so far especially Trico. He is probably the best AI I've ever seen in a videogame. Just watching him 10min. is so fascinating with all the different behavior and scripts he has. Game is kinda hard tho because often you're stuck in an area and don't know what to do next. Almost no hints or tools like in every modern AAA game in these days but it's rewarding nethertheless.

Mezoly

Pretty impressed so far especially Trico. He is probably the best AI I've ever seen in a videogame. Just watching him 10min. is so fascinating with all the different behavior and scripts he has. Game is kinda hard tho because often you're stuck in an area and don't know what to do next. Almost no hints or tools like in every modern AAA game in these days but it's rewarding nethertheless.
Press R3 to contemplate. It will give you hints sometimes.

Trico is more of a birdcat than a birddog, right?

Toriko is the Japanese word for "prisoner"; fitting, given its initial predicament. Toriko is also a combination of the Japanese words tori (bird) and neko (cat). Also, Project Trico was the name for the game's working title, which is a combination of Tri, meaning three, and Ico. Suiting, since it's the third game in the Ico series.

I'd say yes

Sorry dogGAF ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Super stuck at the first few hours after
the first statue battle
… can someone drop a hint?

It's a cat animation list
they wiggle their butts like cats, jump like cats , sit like cats, get petted like cats. Stand on their back legs to look

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its seems to have elements of both a cat and dog in its personality and mannerisms while also incorporating avian characteristics into its visual design.

Well damn, I stand corrected. Trico is a big cuddly kitty now. :3

Well, it's probably a mix of all 3 at the end. They probably used something of each animal (both in the physical aspect and behaviour) to make it more recognizable and at the same time more weird. ;)

played the first 20 minutes, the camera is atrocious, it gave me headache :(

is Sony planning to improve it?

Thank God I wasn't the only one who got a headache, that's never happened to me before while playing a game. I upped the camera movement speed too, but something is causing me to get headaches anytime I play.

Audioboxer

I hate having to wait till the weekend. I hope this one has the feels for the ending like SoTC. It can't not, it has the perfect recipe for it just from trailers alone. No hints though please, I'm just musing out loud.

Mezoly

Thank God I wasn't the only one who got a headache, that's never happened to me before while playing a game. I upped the camera movement speed too, but something is causing me to get headaches anytime I play.
The camera auto move caused me a headache early on. Don't fight it when it moves. In fact, don't change the camera when you move until it settle. After the intro hour, I didn't have any headache.

The camera auto move caused me a headache early on. Don't fight it when it moves. In fact, don't change the camera when you move until it settle. After the intro hour, I didn't have any headache.

I'll have to try that, I've been fighting the camera a lot instead of letting it do its thing.

I want to jump in, but I don't have a PS4 Pro and can't justify buying one only for this game. It seems like the only game so far that has compromised performance on the base PS4 version, can anyone who played it on the original PS4 say if the performance seems to be an issue? Is there any possibility of a patch to fix up performance? I know that setting the resolution to 1080p on Pro makes the game perform better, but setting it to 720p almost certainly won't affect anything on PS4, right? I'd take 900p or 1080p for better performance, I don't think that's an option though, which is too bad.

bounchfx

played for an hour last night, and wow.

1) the framerate is pretty horrible on regular ps4
but
2) i don't even care. this game has 'it'. it looks absolutely incredible (lol at people calling it a ps3 game still), and it just has that feeling, that could only be from the guys who made ico/sotc. its cinematic as hell and gorgeous and god damn if it isn't unique. Trico is kind of amazing and I cant wait to play more.

Generate

Banned
This game was so so worth the wait!
Not without its flaws for such an ambitious scope and idea but its everything I was hoping for!

leng jai

Man I can see why a ton of people would actively dislike playing this game. Hell, I spent at least a quarter of the first hour feeling frustrated. Mood probably has a lot to do with it, you need to be in a certain mindset to get the most out of it. Patience is the number one factor in enjoying this game, and it's really important to resist the urge to google solutions. I have a feeling that after I finish this a lot of other games are going to seem overly basic in comparison.

It's a one of a kind of experience, but at the same time I'm glad that not every game is designed like this.

Top Bottom