• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

Have they gone any way into fixing the framerate problems yet?
Have they done anything!?

The game took like a decade, switched consoles and still released with shitty performance

I don't know why anyone would expect them to suddenly get a good framerate a month after release

Seraphic

Neo Member
This was a game that I hoped and dreamed about as a kid, just having a giant adorable monster companion to go on adventures with because I hated having to kill all those cool looking monsters in all those games. I'm so happy it exists, and it instantly became a favorite of mine and I'm only 1 hour in. godamn.

StoneFox

So how do you get Trico to poop? Even after 3 playthroughs I haven't seen it.
I got him to do it on my first playthrough when he was scared of an eye design and I couldn't figure out the puzzle.

He pooped and I threw his poop at the eye, which broke it. I thought it was the real solution lol

L95

I got him to do it on my first playthrough when he was scared of an eye design and I couldn't figure out the puzzle.

He pooped and I threw his poop at the eye, which broke it. I thought it was the real solution lol

That...

That's great

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
By the way, whenever I watch videos about Trico's "garbage AI" I see people standing on Trico's back and giving orders wondering why he doesn't listen.
What the heck guys, this is not how things work...

You can give orders standing on his back, just stand further back, if he turns around and looks at you it means he will follow your command.

If hes looking at or doing something, let him finish first. If hes looking at you (whether by himself or when you call him), thats the cue that he will follow your command.

The soundtrack is so good you guys. Although not as bombastic as SoTC, I appreciated how mute (for lack of a better word) the the OST is. Its only in few instances where things really pick up and even then theres a restraint. Its sparse but when it plays its so appropriate and beautiful. I really love "Forest", not only the track itself but also when and where it played. One of the games many memorable moments.

Rewatching the Zelda: BoTW trailers gives me a similar feeling as well. And speaking of Zelda, I always got a Zelda vibe from the music that plays whenever
those Armor guys come after you.

Me too, and I really wanted to add it to my playlist 😭 EZA used that song in their TLG videos, it fucked me up everytime.

Yeah I cant watch the
launch trailer
now without getting teary afterwards cause its the same track. Stupid game and stupid, adorable Trico 😫

is that an effective and fast way to get away once the guards grab you? it seems to take a long time when they grab me

also

I am fucking stuck in the cold room where I need to activate the tombs with my shield. when the guards get me, I can't get away fast enough. how to beat this part?

is that an effective and fast way to get away once the guards grab you? it seems to take a long time when they grab me

also

I am fucking stuck in the cold room where I need to activate the tombs with my shield. when the guards get me, I can't get away fast enough. how to beat this part?

I just spam the D-pad and buttons really quickly. I usually get out within 10 seconds or so.

As for that section:
Keep running until you lose them. You should have about 10-20 seconds before they catch up to you. Expect to get caught every time you use the shield then run again and repeat. I activated every 2 tomb so I'd have some distance between me and the guards.

edit: The solution below is way better

also

vague hint
think about how you reach that plase
real answer
use the tail and blow those fuckers up

Mothman91

Pretty sure final puzzle, need help:

I'm at the master, the ball that's surrounded by the black shit. Using the mirror to make the black shit go away and I know I gotta climb his cage but when I have all the black goo gone, I quickly try to climb up but the black goo doesn't even give me 2 seconds to climb up before it reforms.

c0Zm1c

Pretty sure final puzzle, need help:

I'm at the master, the ball that's surrounded by the black shit. Using the mirror to make the black shit go away and I know I gotta climb his cage but when I have all the black goo gone, I quickly try to climb up but the black goo doesn't even give me 2 seconds to climb up before it reforms.

Only shrink it down so far, not completely. It will take longer to regenerate so you have more time to climb then.

taybul

You mean those strange green blobs that seemed to appear out of nowhere was his poop? I never got the trophy, maybe I actually need to watch him...excrete them.

Ok I am losing my FUCKING mind right now, stuck for 15 minutes without Trico not following my commands. I've never had any major issues with this until now.

I'm on the part where the boy is
stuck in the tree and Trico is perched on a pillar trying to reach out to him, I figured that I needed Trico to jump to the platform above me so I can climb his tail and sure enough that's what all the walkthroughs confirm, but he WILL NOT FUCKING DO IT 😭 I have tried spamming call while looking above me, spamming just call, spamming call and R forward, calling periodically, waiting silently for a few mins then calling again... nothing

I'm worried Trico is stuck in an animation loop and I won't ever be able to progress :/

Jennipeg

Ok I am losing my FUCKING mind right now, stuck for 15 minutes without Trico not following my commands. I've never had any major issues with this until now.

I'm on the part where the boy is
stuck in the tree and Trico is perched on a pillar trying to reach out to him, I figured that I needed Trico to jump to the platform above me so I can climb his tail and sure enough that's what all the walkthroughs confirm, but he WILL NOT FUCKING DO IT 😭 I have tried spamming call while looking above me, spamming just call, spamming call and R forward, calling periodically, waiting silently for a few mins then calling again... nothing

I'm worried Trico is stuck in an animation loop and I won't ever be able to progress :/

Have you tried
R1 and Triangle?
That's the jump command. I had this exact problem on my playthrough.

I think I might.... hate this game and that's the worst feeling. I'm glad there are people out there feeling it, for me it feels like a frustrating mess that has the look of an ico game without the heart. Just finished it, and the ending should have worked for me but all I could think was "thank god it's behind me".

bosseye

Crazy how everyone's experience differs. I'm very glad that for the most part it was smooth sailing between me and Trico. I had the shield bug out a couple of times where I wasn't able to shine it. Reloaded and it worked fine.

I thought it was an amazing game, but I have no desire to replay it.

sasuke_91

You can give orders standing on his back, just stand further back, if he turns around and looks at you it means he will follow your command.

If hes looking at or doing something, let him finish first. If hes looking at you (whether by himself or when you call him), thats the cue that he will follow your command.

Exactly. But these people spam commands without Trico looking at them and then they criticize the game for its "garbage AI". There's nothing wrong with standing on his back while giving commands, but you should know how things work before doing that.

Crazy how everyone's experience differs. I'm very glad that for the most part it was smooth sailing between me and Trico. I had the shield bug out a couple of times where I wasn't able to shine it. Reloaded and it worked fine.

I thought it was an amazing game, but I have no desire to replay it.

Not so crazy. It was pretty apparent that this would be a game where experiences differ a lot, especially since you have a partner like Trico. But yeah, I get what you mean. My playthrough was almost flawless as well.

c0Zm1c

I would have never thought of doing that because I didn't use the tail to get down.

Simply jumping through the hole works.

I can't think how you managed that, except blind luck.

I didn't think to use the tail either. I just ran around keeping my distance from the knights as best I could.

sasuke_91

I would have never thought of doing that because I didn't use the tail to get down.

Simply jumping through the hole works.

I can't think how you managed that, except blind luck.

I didn't think to use the tail either. I just ran around keeping my distance from the knights as best I could.

Haha I did that as well. And I did it twice, so it wasn't blind luck :p

You can run away when there's 3 or 4 of them. But it gets way too difficult as you activate more. I don't know if you can even manage without using the tail

c0Zm1c

Haha I did that as well. And I did it twice, so it wasn't blind luck :p

You can run away when there's 3 or 4 of them. But it gets way too difficult as you activate more. I don't know if you can even manage without using the tail

No I mean I don't know how they got down there
without using Trico's tail to descend. I tried jumping down, at first, but that didn't work. I don't see how it can work without something to jump off of.

sasuke_91

No I mean I don't know how they got down there
without using Trico's tail to descend. I tried jumping down, at first, but that didn't work. I don't see how it can work without something to jump off of.
Yeah that's what I meant. I jumped and landed where I wanted. I died somewhere and did the same once again.

So I just got a copy today (£20, cannot complain) but is it worth playing on my standard PS4 or waiting until March when I buy my Pro?

(Wasn't planning on buying a copy until I had a pro, but couldn't resist at that price)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As much as I want to love this game, and do when it hits the right notes, sometimes it perfectly encompasses nothing short of utter dogshit, frustrating game design.

Part 6: The Blue Pot
I know what to do. I have now done it. Because it was an obvious, basic puzzle that borderline played itself. Only this bullshit wasted my time over and over and over and over because Trico just wouldn't play nice with the game design. For about 20 minutes I sat and watched as it'd pull on the potted chain briefly, then get distracted and walk around. He would not raise the gate high enough for me to push the object under. No mistake on my behalf. No missed mechanic or solution or idea. Just total jank I had to wait until worked.

I get they're trying to balance this idea of Trico being a realistic creature that behaves in an organic, believable way. One that must develop a companionship with the protagonist, and thus the player. And I get that must be a very difficult thing to balance alongside making puzzles that are fun, engaging, not too frustrating and don't outstay their welcome, yet also integrate Trico as a game system that is behaving with aforementioned believability.

But shit like this decimates the illusion of believability. The fact I'm playing a video game with AI programming stuck in a godawful feedback loop is obvious. I'm not a curious kid in a strange world befriending a playful baby monster. I'm no longer engaged with a beast that seems independent, one that I must work with, but instead a broken game system that is literally wasting my time. I am playing a game that does not work, that is wasting my time, in a puzzle that is not hard to solve.

Moments like this are not good game design no matter what you're going for.

/frustrated

Veelk

Banned
Okay, bird brain is starting to piss me off. I'm at the second watergate puzzle.

I've solved the puzzle half an hour ago.
The gate is open. All I need him to do is dive down and go through the tunnel exactly like he did with the previous one.

But instead, he wants to do dogbird cannon balls all day. He dived a total of 5 times, only to go back up for no discernable reasons. 2 other times he dived without me.
Stupid dogbird.

Rozart

Okay, bird brain is starting to piss me off. I'm at the second watergate puzzle.

The gate is open. All I need him to do is dive down and go through the tunnel exactly like he did with the previous one.

But instead, he wants to do dogbird cannon balls all day. He dived a total of 5 times, only to go back up for no discernable reasons. 2 other times he dived without me.
Stupid dogbird.

Grab onto him while he's in the water. Hold r1, then press triangle.

myco666

I am soon at that spot again. How long you approx. waited?

I always thought it has to do with how many barrels you feed him. Or maybe it's just random.

I've fed Trico pretty much every single barrel on all playthroughs so probably not that. Might help though.

Stupid dogbird.

Weird. I got it to dive on first try. What command are you using?

Rozart

Did about 50 times over.

O damn. It worked for me. I also spammed the r1 + o + directional button command. Maybe that was it? :S

Edit:

Ah, I got that poop trophy close to the end of the game. In one of the towers before
you get Trico to fly
. I carried his poop about for while too.

...That sounded really strange but I was super curious about it ok.

Angel_DvA

Average game with great moments but terrible gameplay, the camera control is frustrating, Trico is frustrating, a game to get at a low price anyway.

Veelk

Banned
I used R1+X. Since you know, that's dive when in water. Worked great for the first water puzzle.

But now I'm starting to think I'm in some kind of broken AI loop.
Like, dumbass somehow thinks the gate is still there, even though I moved it. I can't think of another explanation why birdbrain would keep diving down,only to come back up.

Did about 50 times over.

I don't know why he suggested triangle. While Toriko's in the water, in front of the gate, get on his back, point the camera straight down and R1+Stick Forward.

I used R1+X. Since you know, that's dive when in water. Worked great for the first water puzzle.

That's a "stop" command.

Like, dumbass somehow thinks the gate is still there, even though I moved it. I can't think of another explanation why birdbrain would keep diving down,only to come back up.

Okay, that might be a bug. You may want to restart the checkpoint.

myco666

Isn't that the command for cancel whatever action trico is doing? I just used R1 + foward.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, I used all of them by now. R1+X worked for the last one, so I assumed it meant dive.

But I've done R1+left stick, +square, +triangle, +circle. Stupid dogbird is just not listening.

Rozart

Have you tried what the other poster had suggested? Reloading your checkpoint and using the r1 + analog stick while simultaneously not spamming the other commands.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah. Didn't work the first time, but then I tried it again and it did. I ahve no idea what was different this time around.

Turns out it was a long tunnel so Trico ditched me.
Not exceedingly impressed with bird brain atm.

In regards to the water and gate puzzle

Trico will always follow you when he feels you're in danger. So I just dived down and then he did as well and I grabbed on to him as he made his way down. Or she???i don't know what sex, if any, Trico is. Anyways, just dive down towards the tunnel Trico is supposed to take and then grab onto Trico when he finally makes his way down too.

FrankWza

Yeah. Restart checkpoint. Happened to me in a spot or 2.

FrankWza

As much as I want to love this game, and do when it hits the right notes, sometimes it perfectly encompasses nothing short of utter dogshit, frustrating game design.

I know what to do. I have now done it. Because it was an obvious, basic puzzle that borderline played itself. Only this bullshit wasted my time over and over and over and over because Trico just wouldn't play nice with the game design. For about 20 minutes I sat and watched as it'd pull on the potted chain briefly, then get distracted and walk around. He would not raise the gate high enough for me to push the object under. No mistake on my behalf. No missed mechanic or solution or idea. Just total jank I had to wait until worked.

I get they're trying to balance this idea of Trico being a realistic creature that behaves in an organic, believable way. One that must develop a companionship with the protagonist, and thus the player. And I get that must be a very difficult thing to balance alongside making puzzles that are fun, engaging, not too frustrating and don't outstay their welcome, yet also integrate Trico as a game system that is behaving with aforementioned believability.

But shit like this decimates the illusion of believability. The fact I'm playing a video game with AI programming stuck in a godawful feedback loop is obvious. I'm not a curious kid in a strange world befriending a playful baby monster. I'm no longer engaged with a beast that seems independent, one that I must work with, but instead a broken game system that is literally wasting my time. I am playing a game that does not work, that is wasting my time, in a puzzle that is not hard to solve.

/frustrated

Sucks because you can end up having your issues in other spots or more or less issues depending on how a.i. wants to behave. That makes it so every person has a different experience,not just with trico but with glitches. Its a shame.

Gbraga

I also used R1 + X for diving, even though I knew it was "cancel". Worked on my first try.

I did get a glitch with Trico's pathfinding once, though, in that part
where you need him to jump into the water to use the waves to reach the switch.
But it didn't take more than a couple of minutes to realize it was glitched, so I restarted the checkpoint and it worked fine.

He didn't listen to my command, I went back to him, saw that he was trying to move forward but then moved back and was repeating that loop over and over again, even with me trying to cancel my command, so it was a glitch.

I mean, of course it's the game's fault for not working properly, but the puzzles in the game are so simple that I can't imagine how people can be stuck in the same place for as long as I've been reading throughout the thread without realizing it's glitched and trying to reload it.

Ratrat

Is there a RIGHT way to do the blue pot puzzle?

I noticed Trico would get distracted if the boy was close, so I just stepped away and ran forward to push the wheel under the gate whenever he started to pull. Worked after a few tries.

The only puzzle in the game that feels broken and dumb, is the one where you climb Tricos tale through the floor boards.

Gbraga

I
The only puzzle in the game that feels broken and dumb, is the one where you climb Tricos tale through the floor boards.

Yeah, I'd like to know if there's a way to get this one in a consistent way. Distortion2 (Souls and SotC speedrunner) said he'll do a few runs for fun, and he'd been testing some routes, so I'm looking forward to watching it and seeing how he deals with that.

He even mentioned that he found some skips the game can't handle. It just breaks everything and he needs to reset the game, haha.

Is there a RIGHT way to do the blue pot puzzle?

I noticed Trico would get distracted if the boy was close, so I just stepped away and ran forward to push the wheel under the gate whenever he started to pull. Worked after a few tries.

R1 Circle?

Jennipeg

Yeah. Didn't work the first time, but then I tried it again and it did. I ahve no idea what was different this time around.

Turns out it was a long tunnel so Trico ditched me.
Not exceedingly impressed with bird brain atm.

Oh you will be soon, trust me.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

/frustrated

Did you flip the column on its side?

Top Bottom