• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian |OT| In my memories, the monster always has kind eyes

havent beaten the game but my top 3 emotional moments so far

I agree with your list, but I'll add one. I actually can't remember if this is before or after your #3, so don't read until you've beaten the game.

When Trico was buried under rubble and unconscious and you have to go alone. I didn't want to leave him. I just sat there petting him. Then I finally moved on and got surrounded and suddenly he jumps to my rescue. So good!

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I am so protective over Trico omfg. I get so upset when enemies attack and stab him. Ive just been pushing mufuckas down so they dont hurt my baby. I am way too attached to this video game creature.

This game will break you.

Jennipeg

I agree with your list, but I'll add one.

When Trico was buried under rubble and unconscious and you have to go alone. I didn't want to leave him. I just sat there petting him. Then I finally moved on and got surrounded and suddenly he jumps to my rescue. So good!

Someone in the last few pages said they didn't connect or care for Trico because he didn't do anything to deserve it, I immediately thought about this moment and
when he thought the boy was dead
. Trico is amazing.

Speaking of the music,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3XoaRmByFs

Is this in the game or is it trailer music? I just searched for the last guardian main theme and this came up. It sounds ripped from somewhere. Maybe it's fan made because I don't recognise it. I like it though.

Dreams of Trico. It was written specifically for the minute long CGi trailer that was released a few weeks before the game came out. Gorgeous composition, I listen to it every day.

sasuke_91

Someone in the last few pages said they didn't connect or care for Trico because he didn't do anything to deserve it, I immediately thought about this moment and
. Trico is amazing.

That people even dare telling lies like this...

Jennipeg

Dreams of Trico. It was written specifically for the minute long CGi trailer that was released a few weeks before the game came out. Gorgeous composition, I listen to it every day.

It's really nice, I've listened to it a lot myself. There seems to be a few alternate songs online, some of it must be from the PS3 days. It's all really good too.

That people even dare telling lies like this...

I just think they played a different game, I can totally understand getting annoyed by the gameplay, but in cutscenes alone Trico is incredible. I don't understand how someone could finish the game and not care about him at all.

Memento

I am just passing by to say that the platforming in this game is great. Back to the game! The heaviness of the controls is perfect for it.

I think I am approaching the ending.

. Trico is amazing.

But Toriko does all the work during battles... :/

This part is incredible.

And special is the right word, I knew I was playing something special since the first note of Overture Lore played in the intro, haha. Some games you just know you'll love. Persona 4 was similar, right at the opening I knew I was playing something amazing.

Yes absolutely. I wish I embraced patience earlier in the game instead of forcing things so I wouldnt have been so frustrated. Its crazy that even when things feel buggy it still feels like it was designed that way from the get go.

This game will break you.

I know it will and I am not ready.

I am not ready 😭

Dimmle

I haven't played the game since finishing it a week ago but I'm still thinking about The Last Guardian and how deep the player's connection to Trico is. It's remarkable.

I haven't played the game since finishing it a week ago but I'm still thinking about The Last Guardian and how deep the player's connection to Trico is. It's remarkable.

I haven't played ANY game since I finished this last week, because I'm still thinking about this game and Trico and I don't feel like anything in my current library or backlog can follow it.

I'm getting close to firing up LEGO Dimensions Sonic or Firewatch though. Maybe tomorrow.

Dimmle

I haven't played ANY game since I finished this last week, because I'm still thinking about this game and Trico and I don't feel like anything in my current library or backlog can follow it.

I'm getting close to firing up LEGO Dimensions Sonic or Firewatch though. Maybe tomorrow.

Personally, I needed to follow it up quickly with the "comfort food" of Final Fantasy IX because
the ending is so emotionally draining

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I followed it up with Dishonored 2. Interesting contrast to go from a game like TLG to that, though excellent game and both have some of the best level design I've seen all year.

Stuck in the tall circular room, shortly after
the open area where the E3 demo took place.
Trico
sat down because he was hungry, there's an immovable cart mine propping up a door.

I just found
a food barrel inside the mine and fed that to Trico. Now he's up and about. Except I have no fucking clue where to go next. There's a chain hanging near the floor in the tall circular room but it leads nowhere. Trico can't jump and hold to any wall.

Any ideas??

Just started playing TLG and I have a very legitimate complaint already. Something so simple but so annoying that I cannot believe happened to a high profile game like this in 2016.

Why the fuck did the Y axis camera didn't flip when I'm trying to aim with the shield thing? I reversed my vertical camera movement to inverted but when I'm trying to aim that shit it's NOT inverted!

What the fuck, guys? I cannot believe something like this would slip past them in this day and age! It's so annoying!

Memento

I need help too... fairly late in the game:
it is probably close to the end, there is a giant living orb thing inside a cage. I use the mirror shield to contain it, then I get to the top of it. But idk what to do anymore... I am trying to aim the light from the mirror outside and I can hear the lighning bolt from Trico's tail but I dont think I am doing it right.

Can someone give me a hint?

it is probably close to the end, there is a giant living orb thing inside a cage. I use the mirror shield to contain it, then I get to the top of it. But idk what to do anymore... I am trying to aim the light from the mirror outside and I can hear the lighning bolt from Trico's tail but I dont think I am doing it right.

I think you can keep climbing, you don't have to go back down.. you should be able to go up.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Stuck in the tall circular room, shortly after
the open area where the E3 demo took place.
Trico
sat down because he was hungry, there's an immovable cart mine propping up a door.

I just found
a food barrel inside the mine and fed that to Trico. Now he's up and about. Except I have no fucking clue where to go next. There's a chain hanging near the floor in the tall circular room but it leads nowhere. Trico can't jump and hold to any wall.

Any ideas??

Solution Spoiler

Did you open the door being blocked by the minecart? Once Trico gets in he'll show you the way. Its a dark area but Trico will light up showing the way forward. No idea what tall circular room you're talking about

Solution spoiler
You can climb the platforms spinning around above the cage.

Memento

Finished. I need to organize my thoughts first because I am still mesmerized by the experience, but there is one thing I can safely say: Fumido Ueda did it again. Fucking masterpiece. Maybe my Game of the Generation. Definitely my GOTY2016.

Absolutely brilliant game.

Memento

Okay, I want to talk about some stuff, I know I am kind of late but I need to talk about it!!!

This game is a masterpiece and already a classic imo.

1. Trico is fantastic. The most realistic, relatable and inspiring companion IA any game has ever offered. It is a milestone for the industry, this cat bird dog is the show stealer.

2. The level design is one of the best I have ever encountered in any game ever, everything blends together amazingly.

3. The visuals are gorgeous. The art direction just oozes atmosphere.

4. Sound design and soundtrack, both incredible.

5. Puzzle design is ridiculous good. This game has some of the smartest puzzles I have ever seen in any genre. Some puzzle solutions are simply wow-inducing.

6. Patforming is great and considering there is a good amount of it in the game I was very pleased with my enjoyment

7. The narrative/story/plotwist were perfectly managed by Ueda. Everything flows very nicely and there is a constant curiosity about what is next. Stunning work. A prime example of story telling only possible by this medium.

8. Pacing was remarkable. I guess the beginning can be a bit of a slog, but when it picks up it is up there as one of the best paced games I have ever played.

9. It is different than anything else out there. One of the most unique game experiences anyone could ever had. In an industry with so much focus on the same stuff year over year, a game with such a great ambition to be different (and one that suceeds on that!) revigorates my love for this medium.

Of course, it is not perfect. Some framerate problems and the controls can be frustrating if you are out of patience. But these problems are so minor compared to the grandiosity the whole package is. I loved this game.

GOTY2016.

NYmanutd

Finished. I need to organize my thoughts first because I am still mesmerized by the experience, but there is one thing I can safely say: Fumido Ueda did it again. Fucking masterpiece. Maybe my Game of the Generation. Definitely my GOTY2016.

Absolutely brilliant game.
You and i think alike, fumito did it again and The Last Guardian is my game of the generation. I just know i will not play another game like it this gen

Monday was my birthday and, despite the fact I already had the steelbook version of the game, I had to get this as a birthday present. Thankfully, my sister got me sorted for this.

15823437_10157971783970257_1131567292624503904_n.jpg

*squee*

Heh,yeah it's really funny how this does feel like a PS2 game, but in an endearing way. It's a breath of fresh air that reminds me of that feeling of playing Ico for the first time. Or a host of other incredibly unique experiences from that era.

The Last Guardian plays like our fondest memory of games from a bygone era. Like this is how we would want them to be remembered, even if they are not even close to this beautiful. It's why when someone said this prior to release ("feels like a PS2 game") I immediately smiled and knew this was a positive for me.

And even with all that, it's still its own unique identity and story. Which is one hell of an achievement.

LeleSocho

Banned
I finished this game in one sitting yesterday. Here's a series of personal opinions of my experience with the game, be aware that i might talk about specific puzzles so yeah... you've been warned.
Oh... English is not my first language and i'm not good at all at writing even in my native language so excuse me if this is a mess to read (also i finished writing this at 5:30 AM).

It's a very good game but it has flaws, the bigger ones are camera and controls.
The camera often resets itself while still leaving you having no idea where you or Trico are in space, in my opinion when that happens the game should be smart enough to go onto a fixed camera mode that lets you get out those awkward situations.

On the controls i know that many have complained about them but from what i saw not for the same reasons of mine, people seem to not like the heaviness they have to them but that is not a problem at all for me since i actually love the weight and movement awkwardness so hear me out.
My problem with controls are tied to the fact that the character more often than not either ignores my commands or decides for itself what to do, you have no idea how many times the boy just stood there when i was trying to remove the guards helmets' from their body on the ground even with the prompt on screen or decides to pick up scraps of another guard even if they are more distant than my objectives or even while trying to pet Trico the boy just tries to push him or do nothing at all... same goes when i'm trying to remove spears from Trico's body and when trying to dive in the underwater puzzle.
A game this long in development with the basic concept of gameplay already finalized years ago really shouldn't have all these issues... it's a big problem that you have to fight for the whole game.
Also whose idea was to put jump on triangle? So many dumb deaths because of that hahahahah.

I read that some people really hated Trico's AI but i loved it and really made it look like a real animal... i had one small problem in the puzzle after you reunite with him after the evil Trico breaks your elevator that made me grump a little because despite my repeated efforts to tell him to jump to where he came from he ignored me and did the "i don't understand what do you want from me" screech making me confused and making me search for another exit, in the end i wasted 10+ minutes on something i had figured out immediately.

There is only one part where i gave up and had to look online and that is near the end of the game in the white tower on the elevator with the ceiling, as before i spent 40 (yes forty, it's not a typo) minutes on something that i figured it out immediately but this time i don't blame the controls or at least not entirely but it's more of a game design problem in my opinion, as you know you have to throw Trico's tail in the elevator hole and descend to open up the ceiling. Problem is it doesn't let hang down the holes edges to see if there something and if you try to forcibly fall down in them by falling from Trico's body you are only met with death with the only visual being the void of the hole... i even tried to make the elevator go up without me on it but i still couldn't make out anything but the void blackness thus making me think the solution is another and making me search for something that doesn't exist, the problem is of game design because never before you were forced to throw around Trico's tail in a non-combat situation so sincerely after all i have done to fall in those holes i thought that it wasn't required to do that.

Now i got the bad out of the way, let's talk about the good.

Trico is fantastic, never... never has a fictional character felt more real than this creature... from the behavior to the movements (when Trico does this movement when readyies to jump after you raise the two bridges? Oh my god!) you can see the care that they have put when making this animal... it really is alive and has a personality of his own.

The animations are masterful, there really should be articles piling up on gaming sites about this game's animation work because they really are more unique than rare these days.

The graphics and IQ are on point, the game looks how it has to look and i noticed only one of what i would call bad texture (a very small texture repeated in a tile on a certain wall) in the whole game... Performance is pretty good too, i played it on PS4 Pro and the framerate had noticeable drops only 4-5 times throughout my playthrough.

Storytelling was marvelous, the cutscenes, the timing of when to put them, how the events unfold... can't find a single problem with them.
Story was very good too, it didn't had the payoff i expected but that's probably more of a problem of mine and mine expectations and surely there was nothing bad in it.
The most touching moments for me were when Trico spread its wings for the first time, when the bad Tricos deposited the boys to create food, the close up of Trico's face when flying after the white tower was falling apart and obviously when he tried to wake up the boy.

In the end i consider it a flawed masterpiece, a game unique in its genre and even more unique in this age of perfected blockbuster engineered to sell, we deserve more games like this really.
I am pretty happy that i was not obsessed over this game like some are/were because if i was with the problems i mentioned it would've built up to be a disappointment for me.
Very happy that i bought it over the other two choices that i had.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Holy fucking shit, 90% of this game's challenge stems from wrestling with the fucking garbage physics or trying to fucking trigger Trico's annoying-ass behavioral AI to fucking do a thing. It's infuriating, and completely rips me out of enjoying this thing.

Holy fucking shit, 90% of this game's challenge stems from wrestling with the fucking garbage physics or trying to fucking trigger Trico's annoying-ass behavioral AI to fucking do a thing. It's infuriating, and completely rips me out of enjoying this thing.

How long have you played? There's nothing garbage about the physics. Also don't you insult my sweet lil' Trico! ;D Maybe it's time to give the game to someone you know who may enjoy it. I have the feeling you'll end up on the side of players who hate it in the end.

Ratrat

Its probably not for you, unfortunately. People love it because the 'issues' dont bother them or because everything else makes up for the flaws. If you dont like Trico than there is 0 reason to play.

Shaanyboi

Banned
How long have you played? There's nothing garbage about the physics. Also don't you insult my sweet lil' Trico! ;D Maybe it's time to give the game to someone you know who may enjoy it. I have the feeling you'll end up on the side of players who hate it in the end.

Enough hours that I can easily articulate what I find to be utterly obnoxious. Fucking Noodle Kid (my gf's term, not mine) controls like garbage, and the simple act of trying to line up a jump or throwing a barrel shouldn't be as much of a chore as it is. Or not making a jump simply because Fucking Noodle Kid's stupid hands decided to not work that time, but work every other time. Or not making a jump because Trico decided this wasn't the right time to stick out his tail and save you because... *shrug* They probably didn't animate that for this part?

Its probably not for you, unfortunately. People love it because the 'issues' dont bother them or because everything else makes up for the flaws. If you dont like Trico than there is 0 reason to play.

I like Trico fine. He's a well animated... thing. Just the bullshit control is easily impeding the enjoyment.

Enough hours that I can easily articulate what I find to be utterly obnoxious. Fucking Noodle Kid (my gf's term, not mine) controls like garbage, and the simple act of trying to line up a jump or throwing a barrel shouldn't be as much of a chore as it is. Or not making a jump simply because Fucking Noodle Kid's stupid hands decided to not work that time, but work every other time. Or not making a jump because Trico decided this wasn't the right time to stick out his tail and save you because... *shrug* They probably didn't animate that for this part?

I like Trico fine. He's a well animated... thing. Just the bullshit control is easily impeding the enjoyment.

I understand complaints about framerate and camera issues. The controls however feel perfect to me. The kid is not a Noodle kid. but it is a vulnerable KID as you say, and it controls as such wich is perfect to make you feel the vulnerability of a little boy. You're not controlling Ratchet sorry

I understand complaints about framerate and camera issues. The controls however feel perfect to me. The kid is not a Noodle kid. but it is a vulnerable KID as you say, and it controls as such wich is perfect to make you feel the vulnerability of a little boy. You're not controlling Ratchet sorry

I agree. Last Guardian may have had a big impact on me with its narrative but most of all I had fun playing the game. It felt real, it felt weighty and that's what this game needs. Noodle boy's animations are so lovely. Reminds me of my daughter, haha!

I wonder if parents can relate more? :D

Jennipeg

Yeah I agree, the way the boy controls is very deliberate. He will trip over, you wan't him to get up and run, but he's a little boy and he can't. There is a long animation where he hauls himself up and sometimes he get's caught because of it. At times I was yelling at the TV, 'get up! run!' not because the controls were broken but because this kid is super vulnerable and he can't react as quickly as we can with a controller. He can't lift, he can hardly jump, grabbing ledges is difficult. It may be annoying but it's more realistic.

mcz117chief

The more I play this the more I wish I could play as a hunter. Running around the environments Prince of Persia style hunting Tricos would have been absolutely amazing. Whenever there is a combat in this game I love to watch Trico's hit reactions which are very organic and satisfying. It would have been great to set up traps and ambush spots to fight Tricos. Something like Monster Hunter but with these physics and Prince of Persia movement, it would be so good.

Septic360

Banned
Navigating through this game feels like a turtle pushing semen through peanut butter.

I love the noodle boy term. Sums it up. Noodle boy is such a slag

Jennipeg

The more I play this the more I wish I could play as a hunter. Running around the environments Prince of Persia style hunting Tricos would have been absolutely amazing. Whenever there is a combat in this game I love to watch Trico's hit reactions which are very organic and satisfying. It would have been great to set up traps and ambush spots to fight Tricos. Something like Monster Hunter but with these physics and Prince of Persia movement, it would be so good.

.....but you'd be hurting Trico's, it does not compute.

Top Bottom