• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: Left Behind |OT|

LTWood12

Not to pick on Phil specifically, but in general it frustrates me when a reviewer states or implies that a mechanic in a prior game (in this case combat in TLOU) is bad as if it's a matter of fact. Especially when that reviewer knows his opinion isn't in the plurality of opinions.

To be clear, I totally think reviews are and should be subjective. And I have no problems with opinions that deviate from most others. I think Phil is a great reviewer. It just so happens that one of his is the latest in which I've noticed this type of writing.

Take this quote for instance, marked for spoilers:

Via Polygon
Left Behind's combat scenarios rarely devolve into a mess of sloppy shooting against waves of enemies, an issue common in the core game. One disappointing set piece
pits Ellie against an overwhelming amount of enemies with no choice but to kill everyone in the room,
but that's the only part of the DLC that very obviously suffers from the same weaknesses that held back its forebear.

Here's how I'd change that statement:

Most of Left Behind's combat scenarios differ from those in the core game. In The Last of Us, I felt combat frequently devolved into a mess of sloppy shooting against waves of enemies. Thankfully, there's only one part of the DLC that suffers from that same weakness.

kubus

Just read this will be available 7 AM tomorrow in my country. I have class until 11 AM. Will start the download before going to school (this was 5 GB or something?) so I can play immediately when I get home :D

Can't wait!

Not to pick on Phil specifically, but in general it frustrates me when a reviewer states or implies that a mechanic in a prior game (in this case combat in TLOU) is bad as if it's a matter of fact. Especially when that reviewer knows his opinion isn't in the plurality of opinions.

To be clear, I totally think reviews are and should be subjective. And I have no problems with opinions that deviate from most others. I think Phil is a great reviewer. It just so happens that one of his is the latest in which I've noticed this type of writing.

Take this quote for instance, marked for spoilers:

Here's how I'd change that statement:

I'd disagree actually, I think the example you picked out is much better writing than inserting 'I' into it. It should be obvious to the reader that a review or an opinion inside a review is subjective, spelling that out lessens the argument the writer is making.

I'd disagree actually, I think the example you picked out is much better writing than inserting 'I' into it. It should be obvious to the reader that a review or an opinion inside a review is subjective, spelling that out lessens the argument the writer is making.

But that's the problem with Polygon. They don't set up their reviews as opinion pieces (like Giantbomb does for example).

Femto.

Is anyone else holding off on this in hoping the rumored GOTY edition for PS4 is a thing?

I'd love to replay this game and play all of its DLC on a newer system that it can run better on. While I loved this game I hated its performance on the PS3.

Is anyone else holding off on this in hoping the rumored GOTY edition for PS4 is a thing?

I'd love to replay this game and play all of its DLC on a newer system that it can run better on. While I loved this game I hated its performance on the PS3.

Yeah, I wouldn't be able to wait :)

oatmeal

Banned
Yup! Only listened to two tracks, as not to spoil the main game. But man is it good! It's a bit more playfull and dreamy then the first ost.

Yeah, I agree...that first track definitely has some youthful vibes to it.

So this comes out tomorrow...in the am?

shwimpy

I would love to but I can't.

After seeing them clean house at the DICE awards, I bought the season pass and watched the documentary which rekindled my love for the game. I need more and I need it now.

Wotanik

Banned

Can't wait! Will pick some GOTG pack for PS4 for my 2nd playthrough though.

I am optimistic that a Definitive version of TLoU will come to PS4 down the road, I just have no good sense of when that would be. I can't see it coming this year, tbh. I will absolutely be doing a second-- strike that, third since my first two were on the PS3-- playthrough if a PS4 version ever does come out, but I bought the Season Pass specifically because I knew that any SP DLC would come at a premium price point.

Flandy

There's no way that the DLC is going up on time. You guys really shouldn't expect that no matter what they say :( It will be a nice surprise if it actually is up at 10 PM PT though

Boke1879

Quick questions and it might be stupid. Will I need the disc for this? I let my cousin borrow the game. I tried downloading the preorder, but it already detects that I'm a season pass holder.

But that's the problem with Polygon. They don't set up their reviews as opinion pieces (like Giantbomb does for example).

ALL reviews are opinion pieces.

Oh, also: has Naughty Dog said anything about the other two DLC packs in the Season Pass? Mainly, will they be single-player packs like Left Behind or multiplayer packs? Because if they're the latter, I probably won't bother shelling out for the season pass.

Listening to it right now and this part cracked me up (talking about whether or not you need humans to tell an interesting story)

Bruce: You have to make a believable world. As long as you stick to your own constraints and restrictions that those characters have to obey, then it doesn't matter if it's an animal, creature, anthropomorphic tentacle beast...

Neil: It can be cars!

Bruce: Yeah, it can be cars.

Tom: Or planes.

Neil: Not planes.

Bruce: Not planes. It can't be planes. Planes won't work.

Stark

Banned
Listening to it right now and this part cracked me up (talking about whether or not you need humans to tell an interesting story)

Bruce: You have to make a believable world. As long as you stick to your own constraints and restrictions that those characters have to obey, then it doesn't matter if it's an animal, creature, anthropomorphic tentacle beast...

Neil: It can be cars!

Bruce: Yeah, it can be cars.

Tom: Or planes.

Neil: Not planes.

Bruce: Not planes. It can't be planes. Planes won't work.

Lol. Bruce is awesome.

K_B

Quick question here:

I'm in the US and I just pre-ordered the DLC, will it download and install automatically when it becomes available or do I have to go back into the store and download it? I've never pre-ordered digital content before.

fernoca

Oh, also: has Naughty Dog said anything about the other two DLC packs in the Season Pass? Mainly, will they be single-player packs like Left Behind or multiplayer packs? Because if they're the latter, I probably won't bother shelling out for the season pass.
From the moment it was announced, the Season Pass was always:
-One sinple-player DLC
-Two multiplayer map-packs with a few misc. things (like hats)

If your interest is only in the single player, you'll be fine with just buying Left Behind.

Sounds like a normal evening in the cinema

That's a good point. I never thought about it that way.
Actually, it would be more if you go 3D and get popcorn, drinks, candy etc. Oh, and dont forget parking.

BTW, I read in another thread that you needed to have a copy of the disk? Does this mean I cant play the DLC if I have the digital version?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
PS4 goty edition pls Sony, I don't want to plug my old systems back in :(

Top Bottom