• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Well, touché. But yes weak weapons / bullet sponging, depends how you look at it :p

I just hate how the shotgun is portrayed in so many games, like this thing that is lethal at 2 yards and beyond that they are useless.

I understand the video game logic behind it but its still quite annoying for someone who knows how a lot of real weapons work.

Zemm

Anyone try Survivor difficulty yet?

Yeah, I died to the first infected in the intro because I forgot they turned off the melee prompts, oops. Tess keeps throwing me ammo when I run out too, I know it makes sense for her to give me ammo if she has spare, but I'm not sure I like that.

Pranay

Well, touché. But yes weak weapons / bullet sponging, depends how you look at it :p

I just hate how the shotgun is portrayed in so many games, like this thing that is lethal at 2 yards and beyond that they are useless.

well upgrade the shot gun to maximum stats

its a bliss towards the end

Sethos

Banned
I understand the video game logic behind it but its still quite annoying for someone who knows how a lot of real weapons work.

Oh yeah, I'm not asking for a 1:1 representation because then a lot of people would probably just stick to the Shotgun as much as possible, because it's a fantastic weapon. However making it about 95% worse just annoys the hell out of me. 5-10 meter range would be a nice trade-off but anything beyond 3 meters and it's useless? That is just pathetic.

Even more annoying that the game is showering me with shotgun shells, hence why I'm using it. Rifle rounds? Nah. 9mm? Nah. Here, more shotgun shells!

Sethos

Banned
But I have both, I think. Will I automatically use the pipe after my one brick hit?

The brick is used as a throwing / distraction weapon. Didn't know it had a blunt weapon function as well? However yes, when you've used the brick, he will automatically use the pipe when doing melee attacks.

My main problem with the game right now is the fucking bullet sponging. Nothing more frustrating in a game with limited ammo seeing a guy take TWO fucking shotgun bursts at 4-5m range and still manage to quickly recover and shoot at you. Bullet sponging is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming.

Wouldn't be a Naughty Dog game without bullet sponges. Spoiler-free as possible, but near the end you fight some armored guys, take TWO shotgun blasts from 6 feet away, keeps going, nails my ass right near the end of a particularly nasty encounter.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

Thrakier

So, now that the DF analysis is out we got it black on white that the framerate is a motherfukcing mess, going down to the 20s.

For all those guys claiming "I HAZ NO FRAMERATE ISSUES BUT IM SENSIBLE" - now you've got it, well, you are NOT sensible, not at all, because TLOU framerate is one of the worse I witnessed this generation.

I do understand that for some of you guys, that's no problem and you enjoy the game anway. I think that's great and I can see the underlying beauty and how good the game probably is when you get into it. For me though, it's just a stuttering, jaggy mess which I can't enjoy, no matter how hard I try. It's a pitty though because that game feels like it was kinda build for me, I love the setting, how they are doing the combat, the survival stuff. All that. But I just can't over it how poor it performs and looks.

Some of the coloring choices are off. After U3, which was pretty glitchy to begin with, at this point I kinda lost my trust in ND. If they value graphics over playability, they are not a good developer in my eyes. They could do a movie instead. The ingame cutscenes look great, the acting is very good and the story is at least above the normal below average stuff we are used to when playing a videogame.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-last-of-us-tech-analysis

Sethos

Banned
Wouldn't be a Naughty Dog game without bullet sponges. Spoiler-free as possible, but near the end you fight some armored guys, take TWO shotgun blasts from 6 feet away, keeps going, nails my ass right near the end of a particularly nasty encounter.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm getting slightly frustrated by just reading that :p

Anyone try Survivor difficulty yet?
Yes, I still haven't got a definite answer to this.

What's different in Survivor? How is it more difficult than Hard? Is it just more enemy damage/health and less supplies or does damage and health stay the same? Are there remixed enemies, better equipped enemies, etc.?

Beat the game last night. A few things bothered me. Bullet sponges to an extent. I mean, I like bullet sponge enemies but this just seems like the type of game that could do without.

And then the whole stealth aspect. When I strangle someone it is really loud, yet no one hears me, not even that guy that is 10 feet away with his back turned. Enemies will stare right at me literally within reaching distance and not see me. One time I was sneaking and Joul shouts (yes, shouts) "Stick behind me Ellie" when I'm right behind an enemy. Not to mention I'll slowly sneak to the next piece of cover and whoever is with me at the time just sprints to my position tipping over everything in his or her path. Your AI companions also perform really questionable actions during combat.

Scavenging was pretty good, a nice sense or reward when you find something and disappointment when nothing is there. Yet still whenever you scavenge the immersion breaks. The people I'm traveling with will tell me to scavenge, yet they will keep walking on their path trying to move the story along and I'm way far back trying to go through every room, like they don't even care. And why am I scavenging through
my brothers camp for resources, wouldn't I simply be able to ask him for whatever I need?

Aside from all that, there were a few bugs like the enemy location not syncing with my location when I stab him and end up stabbing the air and other little stuff. None of this is that bad but I was expecting more with all the perfect scores. I'd probably give it something in the 9 region. Story, voice acting, and animations were superb but gameplay looked like it could still use some touch ups.

Larsa

Finished the game at 16 hours on hard. Wow, what an experience! Gameplay is very satisfying and just fun. It gives me the same feelings I get from playing Hotline Miami. Throwing a brick at an enemy and just running up and smashing their fucking face with a crowbar is scarily satisfying.
The narrative is nothing revolutionary, but it's so extremely well done and confidently told that it doesn't matter. I teared up like a sucker at multiple points. This game has the best voice acting and performances I have seen in a game by far. Will probably be my favorite game this year.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Beat the game last night. A few things bothered me. Bullet sponges to an extent. I mean, I like bullet sponge enemies but this just seems like the type of game that could do without.

And then the whole stealth aspect. When I strangle someone it is really loud, yet no one hears me, not even that guy that is 10 feet away with his back turned. Enemies will stare right at me literally within reaching distance and not see me. One time I was sneaking and Joul shouts (yes, shouts) "Stick behind me Ellie" when I'm right behind an enemy. Not to mention I'll slowly sneak to the next piece of cover and whoever is with me at the time just sprints to my position tipping over everything in his or her path. Your AI companions also perform really questionable actions during combat.

Scavenging was pretty good, a nice sense or reward when you find something and disappointment when nothing is there. Yet still whenever you scavenge the immersion breaks. The people I'm traveling with will tell me to scavenge, yet they will keep walking on their path trying to move the story along and I'm way far back trying to go through every room, like they don't even care. And why am I scavenging through
my brothers camp for resources, wouldn't I simply be able to ask him for whatever I need?

Aside from all that, there were a few bugs like the enemy location not syncing with my location when I stab him and end up stabbing the air and other little stuff. None of this is that bad but I was expecting more with all the perfect scores. I'd probably give it something in the 9 region. Story, voice acting, and animations were superb but gameplay looked like it could still use some touch ups.

Thats my take on it as well, although the fantastic sound design deserves extra mention. Not only the voice acting but the ambient sounds in general were fucking ace. Standing next to a truck when it rains made a discernible difference from standin in the open for example, and a thousand other examples more. So amazing.

JambiBum

I just finished it this morning before work. I really enjoyed most of it except for the actual ending. It's easily one of my top 10 games of the generation but because of the ending it's lower than what it could be. Spoilers from here on out.

The fact that the entire game is set up around taking this trip to
use Ellie as a vaccine and then at the end Joel just decides to say fuck it and stops the surgery really bothered me. Not only did he stop it but he also killed Marlene who is the only reason that he met Ellie in the first place. I understand that he loves her and thinks of her as his daughter, but still. It's the fate of humanity vs the life of one girl that wanted to die anyway. Makes the entire trip throughout the game seem like a waste of time in my opinion.

So yeah, top ten of the generation for me, but the ending ruined what could have been.

soo glad I saved that
flamethrower
for the last level, bullet sponge galore
When I got the
flamethrower
I used the fuck out of it and always found ammo when I needed it, never really thought I needed to save it for anything. Also at the end I killed maybe 2 of those bullet sponges, but was able to sneak and then flat out sprint past all of them. And yes I was on Hard.

I can't believe it. I got the autosave glitch and couldn't save, but I had to turn off the PS3 at
the hospital... I thought there was another long level and maybe a boss fight up ahead.
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:

So, now that the DF analysis is out we got it black on white that the framerate is a motherfukcing mess, going down to the 20s.

For all those guys claiming "I HAZ NO FRAMERATE ISSUES BUT IM SENSIBLE" - now you've got it, well, you are NOT sensible, not at all, because TLOU framerate is one of the worse I witnessed this generation.

I do understand that for some of you guys, that's no problem and you enjoy the game anway. I think that's great and I can see the underlying beauty and how good the game probably is when you get into it. For me though, it's just a stuttering, jaggy mess which I can't enjoy, no matter how hard I try. It's a pitty though because that game feels like it was kinda build for me, I love the setting, how they are doing the combat, the survival stuff. All that. But I just can't over it how poor it performs and looks.

Some of the coloring choices are off. After U3, which was pretty glitchy to begin with, at this point I kinda lost my trust in ND. If they value graphics over playability, they are not a good developer in my eyes. They could do a movie instead. The ingame cutscenes look great, the acting is very good and the story is at least above the normal below average stuff we are used to when playing a videogame.

The article you just posted really doesn't support your claim of it being a mess though. Seems to imply a few dips here and there during slower paced sections.

I just finished it this morning before work. I really enjoyed most of it except for the actual ending. It's easily one of my top 10 games of the generation but because of the ending it's lower than what it could be. Spoilers from here on out.

The fact that the entire game is set up around taking this trip to
use Ellie as a vaccine and then at the end Joel just decides to say fuck it and stops the surgery really bothered me. Not only did he stop it but he also killed Marlene who is the only reason that he met Ellie in the first place. I understand that he loves her and thinks of her as his daughter, but still. It's the fate of humanity vs the life of one girl that wanted to die anyway. Makes the entire trip throughout the game seem like a waste of time in my opinion.

So yeah, top ten of the generation for me, but the ending ruined what could have been.

Hm, so you get the foreshadowing,
In the car, "This is a actually a good read, except "To be continued!" and "It can't be for nothing." You pretty much accomplish nothing throughout the entire game. And I don't think you're supposed to like Joel at the end, he looked like a monster, pretty much ever since he recovered from the wound. He's telling himself there must be another way, which there very well could be, but he does get very selfish.
I liked it, gave the story a nice twist.

An hour into game and I'm enjoying it so far. But the multiplayer is actually really fun. Best stealth MP that I can remember. Can get really freaking tense.

From other forums, what changes in Survivor

- Listen mode is definitely not the only thing that changes.

- Enemies appear to be more aggressive

- The human enemies seem much smarter in planning their attacks and flanking

- They also seem to be able to take more damage.

- Then there's an extreme lack of supplies which isn't even funny

- Like the stuff you can pick up from the ground aren't glowing or execution/melee prompts aren't showing up as well.

Are there any more?

JambiBum

Hm, so you get the foreshadowing,
In the car, "This is a actually a good read, except "To be continued!" and "It can't be for nothing." You pretty much accomplish nothing throughout the entire game. And I don't think you're supposed to like Joel at the end, he looked like a monster, pretty much ever since he recovered from the wound. He's telling himself there must be another way, which there very well could be, but he does get very selfish.
I liked it, gave the story a nice twist.
See I actually don't think it was a twist. The twist would have been actually going through with it. They took what felt to me like the safe way out. If they would have went all the way with it I would have respected them more.
Now it just feels like they kept her alive for dlc reasons. Like we can't kill her because when we come out with content later people will be upset because she's dead. You're right about the comics though, they are definite foreshadowing.

Alchemist

You did it again, Naughty Dog.

Just beat the game on Hard with Listen Mode turned off. Amazing experience. Easily one of the games this generation.

See I actually don't think it was a twist. The twist would have been actually going through with it. They took what felt to me like the safe way out. If they would have went all the way with it I would have respected them more.
Now it just feels like they kept her alive for dlc reasons. Like we can't kill her because when we come out with content later people will be upset because she's dead. You're right about the comics though, they are definite foreshadowing.
Ellie's death is pretty much one of the safest way out. The dissolution of Joel's relationship with Ellie in result of him condemning the human race isn't. It's a huge risk to create an ending that is the result of your character making some unethical choices.

WJD

I'm stuck:

In an underground style room not too far into the game, just picked up a revolver. Lots of clickers and other infected around and it's dark and I have no idea where I'm meant to go. Been walking round in circles.

Well
it makes sense that Joel would save her, and not just for DLC reasons. Perhaps he doesn't want to save humanity? After all, the humanity he's experienced has been pretty shitty.

Check out my post in the spoiler thread for a little more thought on it,

EDIT: Dammit messed up with the spoiler tags. Sincerest apologies to anyone who accidentally saw that :(

JawzPause

You can't be serious?
I'm going to guess that you're a PC gamer, as most of the people complaining about the game are pc gamers. Whether it's "the controls are shit" or "the framerate is shit" or "there's too many jaggies".
I think you people keep forgetting about what Naughty dog have actually achieved on an ancient system with specs that are lower than the average phone. If you don't like it, fine, but don't go around claiming Naughty Dog should be making movies & the framerate is "one of the worse I witnessed this generation".
Actual ridiculous statement.

Blinck

Anyone having texture streaming problems?

I'm at the
Dam level, when we meet up with Tommy again
and a lot of the textures take a LOT of time to stream, and sometimes it seems that they don't.
Really bumming me out :(
Didn't happen before this part.

Anyone experiencing something similar?

I take everything back...this game is absolutely STUNNING.

I'm finally GETTING why metacritic was flooded with perfect scores for this game.

It's truly a masterwork.

gate777

Question for those that are at least 40% through.

When you shoot Robert and then meet the woman firefly, you proceed forward and end up on a roof. You then jump down into a room with a blue door. The firefly says "Joel, give me a hand with this".

I press triangle on the door and they both just sit there. They don't move, buttons don't do anything.......nothing. I re-loaded twice and still the same thing. ???

I love the PC elitist views on this game, Smh. Take it for what it is, a game developed on seven year old tech that manages to pull out stunning visuals and great gameplay. It is better than most PC games in many categories IMO. May not be1080p res. And 60 fps but it gets the job done nicely.

Love both the sp and mp aspects of this game. Naughty Dog strikes again.

When you shoot Robert and then meet the woman firefly, you proceed forward and end up on a roof. You then jump down into a room with a blue door. The firefly says "Joel, give me a hand with this".

I press triangle on the door and they both just sit there. They don't move, buttons don't do anything.......nothing. I re-loaded twice and still the same thing. ???
Left stick, slide it open

nib95

Banned
I love the PC elitist views on this game, Smh. Take it for what it is, a game developed on seven year old tech that manages to pull out stunning visuals and great gameplay. It is better than most PC games in many categories IMO. May not be1080p res. And 60 fps but it gets the job done nicely.

Love both the sp and mp aspects of this game. Naughty Dog strikes again.

The ironic thing is, many PC gamers (myself included) still choose visuals over frame rate. I've seen it happen with so many games. Crysis, Oblivion etc. People choosing settings that get them 20fps-30fps, but with that added eye candy.

Frame rate in LoU is pretty solid at 30fps the majority of the time. It might drop in the really open areas, but these are explorative and less gunplay/gameplay laden, so it matters little. Frame drops in the gunplay segments are rarer.

Anyone else getting booted off PSN as soon as a map is done loading? This was happening over and over last night. Normally I would assume it's my connection, but it would consistently happen at the exact moment you would spawn in.

I'm at 80% now, played for 14 hours and 22 minutes. Already can't wait for my second playthrough (first playthrough is on normal with listen mode off, second will be hard/listen mode off).

I played up to 68% yesterday in one session (pausing it and taking breaks throughout the day) spanning like 16 hours, never did that before. Was considering doing an allnighter and finishing the game in the one session but decided to save the last third of it for after I'd gotten some sleep.

The gameplay in this game is fucking awesome once you get used to everything. The cutscenes are easily the best I've seen in a game before, the acting and writing and subtleties of the facial expressions are just amazing.

Pretty big spoiler, don't click if you haven't played at least up to the point that I'm at now:
The part right before it changed to Fall fucking devastated me. Those characters felt so real to me and it really shocked me even though I knew something like that might happen. It was extremely obvious Sam had been bitten but I didn't expect it to completely destroy me like it did. Henry shooting himself was the worst part of it for me and totally unexpected, it happened ridiculously fast too and was just a massive mindfuck. I actually paused the game, took off my headphones and cried for nearly 5 minutes after that part...

I loved that. It's pretty obvious so it's good they let the player figure it. The fact people need to stop and think really is a testament to the amount of hand holding we have in games these days.

Ellie's warnings have saved my ass more than once.
"Behind you!"

Sorry about the DP.

You can't be serious?
I'm going to guess that you're a PC gamer, as most of the people complaining about the game are pc gamers. Whether it's "the controls are shit" or "the framerate is shit" or "there's too many jaggies".
I think you people keep forgetting about what Naughty dog have actually achieved on an ancient system with specs that are lower than the average phone. If you don't like it, fine, but don't go around claiming Naughty Dog should be making movies & the framerate is "one of the worse I witnessed this generation".
Actual ridiculous statement.

I'm a PC gamer myself and this guy is just full of troll-hate. I have a GTX 680/i7@4Ghz/12gb's ram, which is a perfectly respectable setup, and this person is either trolling or just ignorant. TLOU does have frame-rate dips, it does, but it runs almost consistently at 30fps that it is forgivable. It also is one of the best looking games currently made. Its art direction takes it far.

It's controls are fine as well, as it emulates a persons natural sway with a pistol/rifle, without feeling too cheap. It's absolutely one of the best games I've ever played. It's also the 5th game I now own for my PS3. I don't use my PS3 very often, but this game is proof-positive that I'm glad I actually have the damn system. I'm streaming my 3rd play-through now. I love this damn game.

Pretty big spoiler, don't click if you haven't played at least up to the point that I'm at now:
The part right before it changed to Fall fucking devastated me. Those characters felt so real to me and it really shocked me even though I knew something like that might happen. It was extremely obvious Sam had been bitten but I didn't expect it to completely destroy me like it did. Henry shooting himself was the worst part of it for me and totally unexpected, it happened ridiculously fast too and was just a massive mindfuck. I actually paused the game, took off my headphones and cried for nearly 5 minutes after that part...

I had to stop playing and surfed the internet for a bit. I feel you man.

I'm a PC gamer myself and this guy is just full of troll-hate. I have a GTX 680/i7@4Ghz/12gb's ram, which is a perfectly respectable setup, and this person is either trolling or just ignorant. TLOU does have frame-rate dips, it does, but it runs almost consistently at 30fps that it is forgivable. It also is one of the best looking games currently made. Its art direction takes it far.

It's controls are fine as well, as it emulates a persons natural sway with a pistol/rifle, without feeling too cheap. It's absolutely one of the best games I've ever played. It's also the 5th game I now own for my PS3. I don't use my PS3 very often, but this game is proof-positive that I'm glad I actually have the damn system. I'm streaming my 3rd play-through now. I love this damn game.

Yeah, I also do most of my gaming on PC and it's far more impressive to me what ND achieved on this hardware than what others accomplish when I put a 1000 euro PC at their disposal.
Of course I would be upset if the frame-rate crippled the experience but that's not the case.

You'd think that a forum of hardcore gamers would spend mode time discussing other things but for a lot of people it's all about dem grafix.

Top Bottom