• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just did the Clicker stealth section in downtown and thought reviewers were absolutely right about the ridiculousness of my AI companions not breaking stealth when they spazz out back and forth in front of Clickers. Plus, Runners (or were they Stalkers?) not detecting my flashlight is kind of BS. I haven't yet tested whether human enemies fail to detect it or not.

Come on, ND.

Humans don't either. Atleast, I tested this while I was stealthing behind someone and turned my light on over their back so they would see their own shadow, lol. Maybe they do if it's head on, but it's not very impressive either way.

I do get jumpy from ally footsteps. It's like they're 10x louder than anything else.

DatDude

Banned
I just did the Clicker stealth section in downtown and thought reviewers were absolutely right about the ridiculousness of my AI companions not breaking stealth when they spazz out back and forth in front of Clickers. Plus, Runners (or were they Stalkers?) not detecting my flashlight is kind of BS. I haven't yet tested whether human enemies fail to detect it or not.

Come on, ND.

They can detect a flashlight though

Pranay

So I'm on
Winter
and this game is hitting some new goddamn highs.

Thats the best part of the game

Humans don't either. Atleast, I tested this while I was stealthing behind someone and turned my light on over their back so they would see their own shadow, lol. Maybe they do if it's head on, but it's not very impressive either way.

I do get jumpy from ally footsteps. It's like they're 10x louder than anything else.

They do notice infront and side

Defuser

Is Arne or Naughty Dog gonna address the issue about those who have the old model ps3 that keeps crashing throughout playing TLOU?

Other games don't seem to have that problem except UC2/3 and TLOU.

I'm quite disappointed that I've bought a $60 paperweight which keeps crashing my 60gb ps3.

The main problem with the MP is that there are only 1 or 2 decent maps, the University and the snow cabin one, the rest are tiny, like seriously tiny and the rounds are over within 30 seconds. Wish they'd add a "lone wolf" matchmaking mode too, a group of randoms will never ever beat a group with mics that stick together and I don't want to wait until all 4 friends are online before playing.

The radar ruins a lot of it too. Tagging enemies should've been enough.

I want to see ND (or someone else) try this kind of slow-burn shooter gameplay with a game featuring predominately human/otherwise conscious and armed enemies. I just don't find the Clickers/Runners/etc as compelling as the fights where people as heavily armed as I am are trying to kill me, even if the AI is patchy.

DatDude

Banned
I want to see ND (or someone else) try this kind of slow-burn shooter gameplay with a game featuring predominately human/otherwise conscious and armed enemies. I just don't find the Clickers/Runners/etc as compelling as the fights where people as heavily armed as I am are trying to kill me, even if the AI is patchy.

Clickers and runners become fun when you just go straight up melee, and bang bang on them

Mupod

I don't know about that bolded part. I'm nearly 10 hours in-on the hardest difficulty available to me and I'm still trying to stealth kill. This is due, in no small part, primarily to scarcity of ammo lol. It's gotten to the point where EVEN IF I DO have ammo I'll try and stealth kill anyway just cause I don't know if I'll get ammo again for a particular gun. I've become a master of the sneak up and choke out :D

I'm on hard too. Depends how many there are really - a group of 3, of course I'll stealth kill. But a horde of mixed types (PATROLLING STALKERS UGH), fuck no. Unless you consider the bow 'stealth killing'. But trying to ambush something with hypersensitive hearing (that wanders randomly) is so much more of a pain in the ass than just luring a bunch of them together with a bottle and then BAM MOLOTOV. Also, I rate shivs as more valuable than shotgun shells, the latter of which can kill multiples if you're lucky/careful.

Things tend to randomly drop ammo when gunned down so I often come out ahead. Can't say I agree 100% with this design decision but it's not like you're showered in stuff like RE4.

In some ways this makes me look forward to UC4 even more.
If they carry over the feel of the guns, the melee, the bigger environments and other details it should be pretty awesome.
UC3's melee system was an embryonic version of TLOU's, I guess they only figured out how to really implement it like they envisioned it when developing this game.

I-hate-u

In some ways this makes me look forward to UC4 even more.
If they carry over the feel of the guns, the melee, the bigger environments and other details it should be pretty awesome.
UC3's melee system was an embryonic version of TLOU's, I guess they only figured out how to really implement it like they envisioned it when developing this game.

Its best for ND to move on. I want to see them tackle a new ip and a new genre.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm digging the game based on what I played, it's given me an overwhelming since dread, tensions, with a bunch of jump scares (visual or audio)... But the minute I remember the modern checkpoint design the game follows, I instantly realize that I could jump run around like a crazy person, detect the hiding enemies, die, reload a checkpoint "less than minute ago", do it right, and spare my nerves.

I know it'll ruin the experience but it bugs me tat I can cheat/cheese the game encounters so easily.

I'm digging the game based on what I played, it's given me an overwhelming since dread, tensions, with a bunch of jump scares (visual or audio)... But the minute I remember the modern checkpoint design the game follows, I instantly realize that I could jump run around like a crazy person, detect the hiding enemies, die, reload a checkpoint "less than minute ago", do it right, and spare my nerves.

I know it'll ruin the experience but it bugs me tat I can cheat/cheese the game encounters so easily.

Seems like you're ruining the game for yourself, not that the game is necessarily doing anything wrong. Stop breaking stuff.

I'm bummed you can't new game plus right into survivor mode, it's going to be a bummer to have to pick up everything again :/ Maybe I'll leave collectibles for the New Game plus, just make this run a quick one.

Anyone played survivor mode yet? What are the main differences?

It is true that you can run past a whole lot of stuff.

Early-to-mid game spoilers:

On a second playthrough I was able to sprint through the entire first stealth segment with Tess and Ellie, the museum, the open-ish suburb area with Bill, and another smaller encounter after that.

Some (probably most) places make this impossible, but it's kind of funny how much stuff can essentially be skipped because you can run to the next cutscene or point of interest.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Goddammit... Running out of shivs suck. :(

I need moaaar

Seems like you're ruining the game for yourself, not that the game is necessarily doing anything wrong. Stop breaking stuff.
I'm not saying that I've done it, it's just a realization that dawns every time I become aware of the checkpoints placement.

On a second playthrough I was able to sprint through the entire first stealth segment with Tess and Ellie, the museum, the open-ish suburb area with Bill, and another smaller encounter after that.

Some (probably most) places make this impossible, but it's kind of funny how much stuff can essentially be skipped because you can run to the next cutscene or point of interest.

I realised that this can be the best strategy at some points, after I got killed over and over, just because I went out for confrontation..

danthefan

About 50% of the way through I think, just made it through the
hotel.
The
bloater in the basement
caused me no end of trouble. I was probably supposed to run away or something but screw that.

Not really a shooter, but...
I_Am_Alive_Cover_Art.png

It's on Steam

Jaroof

I had to tear myself away from the MP.
Joined a few matches with a friend and we were taking people out left and right!
I really haven't been attached to a MP game like this since U2.
Having so much fun with it.
Can't wait to hop back on it!

Srsly. Don't be running up on me when we're in a room full of monsters trying to eat us, yo. Slow your asses down.

Haha that's what they did to me when I was stealthing on a clicker, in a room full of clickers and runners ffs. As I'm slooowly inching towards a clicker, I hear these hurried footsteps from behind me, thinking I was spotted by a runner. I turn around and who do I see. Little Ellie running at full speed before loudly crouching beside me. Before I was able to catch myself, I imitated Joel's voice and said under my breath, with clenched teeth, "SIT your ass down goddamnit!"

leng jai

I've been more scared by Ellie suddenly appearing in front of me than from any infected. Her spontaneous attempt at whistling was exceedingly terrifying as well.

Playing the Last of Us begs the question as to how good UC3 would have been with this combat. So backwards to have the improvement in this game.

I just
regained control of Joel in the Winter.
How far am I into game? Do I still have a ways to go?

I'm really loving it.

How not to do a spoiler.

How to do a spoiler.

Thanks Xander in properly making a spoiler.

That aside. I'm about 25% into my Survivor play-through. Streaming in-case summon was interested.

Bladenic

I've been more scared by Ellie suddenly appearing in front of me than from any infected. Her spontaneous attempt at whistling was exceedingly terrifying as well.

Playing the Last of Us begs the question as to how good UC3 would have been with this combat. So backwards to have the improvement in this game.

Her whistling sounded like a fucking hissing snake. I was like "WTF is that" then goes "I want to whistle!" I've never heard such a botched attempt in real life.

Majmun

I like all the checkpoints.

I even wish all next gen games to get a quick save/load option. PC gamers have been enjoying this option for decades. I'm sure those gamers have misused this option a lot, but I've never heard them complain about it.

My post was meant for people who already cleared the game. If you read my post, where i ask how much of the game I have left, without finishing the game yourself -- then I just don't know what to tell you.

The problem comes when someone may be trying to help you figure out an answer that maybe isn't as far as you, they could potentially be spoiled because you failed to reference a generalized idea as to how far into the game you were.

Bladenic

The foliage textures, mainly/especially trees, are embarrassing. I think every developer cuts corners when it comes to trees and most foliage, doesn't make it any less jarring especially for Naughty Dog. Plus I don't think Uncharted had textures this bad on its trees.

Extremely minor nitpick, just something I noticed.

Jaroof

The foliage textures, mainly/especially trees, are embarrassing. I think every developer cuts corners when it comes to trees and most foliage, doesn't make it any less jarring especially for Naughty Dog. Plus I don't think Uncharted had textures this bad on its trees.

Extremely minor nitpick, just something I noticed.

I noticed this, too.. but yeah, it didn't really bother me too much, considering how damn good the rest of the game looks.
I can't count how many times I've just stopped to look around and take in the environments this game has to offer.

ezekial45

Banned
The problem comes when someone may be trying to help you figure out an answer that maybe isn't as far as you, they could potentially be spoiled because you failed to reference a generalized idea as to how far into the game you were.
How the hell was I supposed to know how far I'm into the game? When I ask how much further I have to the end of the game, people looking to answer that question would need knowledge of what's coming. Which is whom I was aiming that question for.

If anyone (you, I'm assuming) read that spoiler without having knowledge of what the game's order of events, then it's your fault for reading it. So spare me this pseudo-lecture of the protocols for spoilers. I'm not going to argue the semantics of this in the middle of the night.

Hopefully this game gets crazy sales. For the first time since San Andreas, I couldn't find a store that still had a copy of this. So I gave in got it on PSN, which I never do for full games, but I couldn't wait.

Hopefully this game gets crazy sales. For the first time since San Andreas, I couldn't find a store that still had a copy of this. So I gave in got it on PSN, which I never do for full games, but I couldn't wait.

I'm really happy to hear this, not the first person to say it either.
Not surprising though, the hype for this was huge.

How the hell was I supposed to know how far I'm into the game? When I ask how much further I have to the end of the game, people looking to answer that question would need knowledge of what's coming. Which is whom I was aiming that question for.

If anyone (you, I'm assuming) read that spoiler without having knowledge of what the game's order of events, then it's your fault for reading it. So spare me this pseudo-lecture of the protocols for spoilers. I'm not going to argue the semantics of this in the middle of the night.

So taking 10 seconds to look at the percentage of your most recent save is too taxing for you? Really? It's not even a big deal, your making it an issue, it'd just be nice to see that others have courtesy for spoilers. And no, it didn't spoil anything for me, as I've already beaten the game, I was just using your post as an example as to how not to do a spoiler.

Dave1988

I still can't believe that ND really thought that having enemies' weapon magically disappear into thin air the second they're killed was a good idea. Coupling that with Joel's inability to loot bodies makes for one cheap difficulty setting. What's worse is that 95% of ARMED soldier don't carry any ammo on them yet random infected civilians carry around with them shotgun shells or friggin' fuel canisters. Where the hell is the logic in that? Is this amateur hour?

I get it that they tried to make this game all about survival with minimal resources at your disposal but this is not the way to do it.

Inversive

Her whistling sounded like a fucking hissing snake. I was like "WTF is that" then goes "I want to whistle!" I've never heard such a botched attempt in real life.

She sounded exactly like me trying to whistle, i found it amusing until she manages to successfully whistle several hours later :/

Top Bottom