• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

In the sewers...Holy shit, did anyone else get butterflies in their stomach when they went into the room and read the note revealing...
(proxy/environment "story" spoiler)
that the last guy killed the children to spare them. Seeing that tarp with the little feet sticking out...

Hixx

I'm stuck:

In an underground style room not too far into the game, just picked up a revolver. Lots of clickers and other infected around and it's dark and I have no idea where I'm meant to go. Been walking round in circles.

Dunno if you are still stuck but

(early game spoilers, first few hours)
exact opposite of where you came in to this room there is a padlocked gate. above it is a ladder you need to pull down. if you kill all the infected, the game will show you but I believe you can do it without killing them all too

Veggy

Did anyone else sometimes have their cutscene fps start playing at like 1fps? I think 3 times during the game for some reasons the cutscenes just became super slow/laggy for a few seconds

Just hoping it's the game itself and not my PS3

holy crap, this game pulls no punches. what follows are plot spoilers and gameplay spoilers up to the
fall season.
First you got the intro where they
kill off a kid on screen
and then there are gameplay segments where if you fail to perform certain tasks they show
ellie getting killed by stranglation, infected biting her, being burned
. looks like this game beat
MGS V
to the punch. I don't remember seeing that in a game before that's for sure. I don't have a problem with these things but I'm just surprised that they got away with these things. Holy. Crap. can't wait to play more tonight after work.

In the sewers...Holy shit, did anyone else get butterflies in their stomach when they went into the room and read the note revealing...
(proxy/environment "story" spoiler)
that the last guy killed the children to spare them. Seeing that tarp with the little feet sticking out...
Yeah, some of those notes...

It's funny how after the sewers segment
I could feel for Ish
without ever meeting or seeing him.

danthefan

Can anyone gimme a hand here, I'm stuck.

I've gotten out of Philadelphia city and am in a suburban area, I killed a sniper and now the Humvee has shown up. It's just shooting at the rest of the gang who are hiding behind a car and I'm on the sniper rifle, apparently unable to do anything to help. All the rest of the hunters who showed up are dead. What am I supposed to be shooting at here?

Palmer_v1

I've gotten out of Philadelphia city and am in a suburban area, I killed a sniper and now the Humvee has shown up. It's just shooting at the rest of the gang who are hiding behind a car and I'm on the sniper rifle, apparently unable to do anything to help. All the rest of the hunters who showed up are dead. What am I supposed to be shooting at here?

There should be a guy throwing molotovs out of the top hatch, snipe him.

Thrakier

The article you just posted really doesn't support your claim of it being a mess though. Seems to imply a few dips here and there during slower paced sections.

Bullshit. Watch the videos. In tense combat situations the game is constantly below 30FPS. It's more like a few dips TOWARDS 30FPS, most of the time it's around 26 to 28 with common dips to 20 and 22 even. It's exactly as bad as I was describing it.

Cloudy

Banned
So, I have some impressions after 5.5 hours of play (The Woods area)

Pros:

- Setting and atmosphere is awesome. Too many dark areas for my taste but the game really captures the post-apocalyptic setting

- Character interaction and development. This is top notch. I love the random conversations between the characters when just exploring. Especially when discussing the notes they find. You really get a feel for their personalities. <3 Ellie

- Exploration. The game gives a really good sense of exploration even though it's not open world. I don't like that you can't backtrack areas though (It sucks when you reach a checkpoint after a frantic fight even though you haven't scouted all the loot)

- No ridiculous amount of enemies in an area. The enemies are pretty tough and you have to use stealth a lot but it just feels more reasonable than the swarms in Uncharted. I feel Uncharted 4 needs to move closer to TLoU in that regard. Joel's kills also don't feel so out of place unlike Drake's (Why is a treasure hunter such a finely tuned killing machine?)

- The music is excellent. I wish we heard more of it though. Too many areas with silence but I guess we need to hear the clickers!

Cons:

- Uninfected enemy AI (to this point at least). The soldiers I've encountered so far to not react to the sound of me choking out their partner right behind them. WTF? How are the clickers and runners so much more aware of their surroundings? Note: I'm playing on normal

- Scarcity of items in some points. I know there is always a way to clear the enemies but the game has enough tension as is. This is RE1 levels of bullshit going on here lol. I'd have preferred to not have freaking melee weapons break also

This is shaping up to be one of my alltime favorites. I think it deserves a PS4 port just so no one misses out.

Any word on a team-command wheel being patched into multiplayer?

It would improve a lot I think.

Its fantastic as it is though, so damn tense and teamwork oriented

Sullichin

You can't be serious?
I'm going to guess that you're a PC gamer, as most of the people complaining about the game are pc gamers. Whether it's "the controls are shit" or "the framerate is shit" or "there's too many jaggies".
I think you people keep forgetting about what Naughty dog have actually achieved on an ancient system with specs that are lower than the average phone. If you don't like it, fine, but don't go around claiming Naughty Dog should be making movies & the framerate is "one of the worse I witnessed this generation".
Actual ridiculous statement.

I think it looks better than most PC games I've played, despite its resolution and aliasing, on the virtues of its attention to detail, art style, and lighting/effects. Every environment I've been in has been impressively distinct from the last. The animation is up there with the best. It would of course benefit greatly from better image quality and anti aliasing, but that's easy to look past after a few minutes and impossible to expect on a PS3. No complaints about the framerate either.

Really? No sign of him, and I'm pretty sure I didn't shoot him already. Must be a bug.

He appears once the truck stops moving. If you try looking through the slits on the front of the car you can see him, and possibly even shoot him through there although if you wait he should pop up from the hatch.

Palmer_v1

Really? No sign of him, and I'm pretty sure I didn't shoot him already. Must be a bug.

Just reload then. It should happen after
you kill most/all of the hunters on foot. Then the humvee pulls up a bit closer to where ellie, sam, henry are and one of the guys inside pops the hatch to start throwing molotovs at them.

Thrakier

The ironic thing is, many PC gamers (myself included) still choose visuals over frame rate. I've seen it happen with so many games. Crysis, Oblivion etc. People choosing settings that get them 20fps-30fps, but with that added eye candy.

Frame rate in LoU is pretty solid at 30fps the majority of the time. It might drop in the really open areas, but these are explorative and less gunplay/gameplay laden, so it matters little. Frame drops in the gunplay segments are rarer.

You are wrong:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yX9UJV58XY&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqsw2kkkeuM&feature=player_embedded

The framerate is utter shit in traversal AND gunplay and it's far far away from being a solid 30FPS.

Septimius

For all those guys claiming "I HAZ NO FRAMERATE ISSUES BUT IM SENSIBLE" - now you've got it, well, you are NOT sensible, not at all, because TLOU framerate is one of the worse I witnessed this generation.

Is your PS3 broken? Your PS3 sounds broken. I've had noticeable low frame rate at two points in the game, each lasting about 30 seconds. Huge open area. I can live with that.

EDIT: Seems to coincide with what the analysis says. It may slow down, but it usually happens is slow-paced areas of the game.

Cloudy

Banned
Only 5.5 hours in but there's something I don't get about the story so far.
Why couldn't they just show Ellie to the military and have them try to get a cure? Were they afraid she'd just be killed?

danthefan

He appears once the truck stops moving. If you try looking through the slits on the front of the car you can see him, and possibly even shoot him through there although if you wait he should pop up from the hatch.

Just reload then. It should happen after
you kill most/all of the hunters on foot. Then the humvee pulls up a bit closer to where ellie, sam, henry are and one of the guys inside pops the hatch to start throwing molotovs at them.

Yeah restarted and he appeared. The truck stopped way back down the road the first time. Thanks.

Bullshit. Watch the videos. In tense combat situations the game is constantly below 30FPS. It's more like a few dips TOWARDS 30FPS, most of the time it's around 26 to 28 with common dips to 20 and 22 even. It's exactly as bad as I was describing it.

Very much playable. I don't know how much you know about playing games at low frame rates on consoles (I'm an expert), but focusing on other qualities are huge parts of it. It's not like it is playing on a PC where I can tweak the settings to my liking.

j-wood

Just to chime in, and I'm a PC gamer, I have a PS3 Slim and I've noticed no framerate issues to the detriment of the game. There might have been one or two spots out in the open where I spin the camera around and get a little bit of lag.

How much of the game is set in tightly enclosed spaces, like the first time you have to explore using flashlights?

It made me have to quit the game due to to motion sickness.

Duxxy3

shoot the guy that comes out of the hatch of the car

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
:lol just hit an enemy with 4 shotgun shells before he died, ND is so lazy with this shit.

Palmer_v1

Only 5.5 hours in but there's something I don't get about the story so far.
Why couldn't they just show Ellie to the military and have them try to get a cure? Were they afraid she'd just be killed?

Something along those lines probably.
Statistically, she's unlikely to even be the first immune person. Chances are, others like her have been killed or gone undiscovered.

Fantasmo

So, now that the DF analysis is out we got it black on white that the framerate is a motherfukcing mess, going down to the 20s.

For all those guys claiming "I HAZ NO FRAMERATE ISSUES BUT IM SENSIBLE" - now you've got it, well, you are NOT sensible, not at all, because TLOU framerate is one of the worse I witnessed this generation.

I do understand that for some of you guys, that's no problem and you enjoy the game anway. I think that's great and I can see the underlying beauty and how good the game probably is when you get into it. For me though, it's just a stuttering, jaggy mess which I can't enjoy, no matter how hard I try. It's a pitty though because that game feels like it was kinda build for me, I love the setting, how they are doing the combat, the survival stuff. All that. But I just can't over it how poor it performs and looks.

Some of the coloring choices are off. After U3, which was pretty glitchy to begin with, at this point I kinda lost my trust in ND. If they value graphics over playability, they are not a good developer in my eyes. They could do a movie instead. The ingame cutscenes look great, the acting is very good and the story is at least above the normal below average stuff we are used to when playing a videogame.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-last-of-us-tech-analysis
So do yourself a favor and sell the game.

Yuterald

Man, I can't get into this game. I had a moment with some Clickers where I thought the game was somewhat clicking, but then I witnessed Tess RUN right by a Clicker and it didn't alert the guy. I think this game would have been better off with fewer NPCs. Having them tag along, jumping into and out of cover, running all over the place totally breaks any sort of stealth immersion this game is trying to showcase. I get that they're part of the narrative/story, but it COMPLETELY ruins the gameplay for me.

You know, it's funny. Whenever I try and buy these big blockbuster "AAA" games, I always feel uneasy leading up to and after the purchase. I just don't think these types of games are for me. It's going to be really hard for me to finish this.

Man, I can't get into this game. I had a moment with some Clickers where I thought the game was somewhat clicking, but then I witnessed Tess RUN right by a Clicker and it didn't alert the guy. I think this game would have been better off with fewer NPCs. Having them tag along, jumping into and out of cover, running all over the place totally breaks any sort of stealth immersion this game is trying to showcase. I get that they're part of the narrative/story, but it COMPLETELY ruins the gameplay for me.

You know, it's funny. Whenever I try and buy these big blockbuster "AAA" games, I always feel uneasy leading up to and after the purchase. I just don't think these types of games are for me. It's going to be really hard for me to finish this.

your AI companions are completely invisible to the enemies, they are also practically invincible (the only way they can die is if the lengthy grab timer goes to zero)

Thrakier

Just to chime in, and I'm a PC gamer, I have a PS3 Slim and I've noticed no framerate issues to the detriment of the game. There might have been one or two spots out in the open where I spin the camera around and get a little bit of lag.

We don't need to discuss if there are framerate issues or not. We have evidence that there are major framerate issues thanks to the DF analysis. It's just that you don't notice them. Being a PC gamer means nothing. I always hated shitty framerates for good reasons, even when I did not play on my PC. There are probably a majority of PC gamers who are playing their games somewhere between 20 and 59FPS, not locking the game to a stable 60FPS, which is the only solution for a smooth gameplay experience.

Septimius

Well, I've seen that, too. But it does get better. The game opens up more, after a while. Then we have to look at why. I ask myself why they did it like this. It's not like it would've been hard to make the enemies see the NPCs. But it's really just that it's hard enough to get by when you even have to make sure your followers aren't spotted, AND you can't control them. You could have sort of the Mass Effect "go there" command, but I guess it's something about NPCs being autonomous, which helps the story, that drove this design-choice.

It's a valid complaint, but at try and imagine them being spotted instead. Then you've carefully navigated a field of clickers and suddenly they're just fucking up for you. I just learnt at a point "ok, they're not something the enemies see", and I was fantastically happy after that. It means I can do my thing, and not being frustrated that an NPC is running around a table five times before ducking behind it.

Fantasmo

Man the story picks up leading up to and after
Fall. Sam and Henry whoah, and then all that with the brother. I'm back on my own again with Ellie and I feel it coming to a close. I really like Joel and Ellie.

Cloudy

Banned

Eh, Tess got me killed a few times in the first area with multiple clickers cos she opened fire while I was sneaking. The game would be way too frustrating if NPCs were constantly screwing you up. I like it the way it is and NPCs make for better story-telling IMO

60% complete spoiler:

Just got to the Dam in the Fall. I am a little confused as to where I started in terms of location relative to where I am at now. I have heard that the Hotel is in pittsburgh, but where was Bill's town? Maybe I am not paying enough attention to signs.

Also, that sniper portion was intense as fuck. My heart was pounding going from cover to cover trying not to get shot. Then my dumb ass realized that I could go up the left side and sneak into the back of the place. So much great tension in this game.

Man the story picks up leading up to and after
Fall. Sam and Henry whoah, and then all that with the brother. I'm back on my own again with Ellie and I feel it coming to a close. I really like Joel and Ellie.

Good luck man, that's mostly agreed upon as the best section of the game up until the end.

You have to pretend that shit doesn't happen, but yeah the AI are incredibly stupid, both friendly and foe. Besides your companions sprinting across a room of infested or hunters knocking over everything in their path, the enemies will also stare right at you then look away or see a brick fly right by their face and investigate where it landed opposed to where it came from. Many times after sprinting away after one of them did somehow grow eyes to see me I would simply hide behind a table and they'd start searching for me in a completely insensible direction. Then theirs smaller things like Joel shouting out to Ellie from time to time while trying to stealth or the ridiculously loud strangles and shivs that no one else seems to hear.

For a game with so many perfects reviews the stealth gameplay is relatively poor. I still enjoyed the game though.

j-wood

We don't need to discuss if there are framerate issues or not. We have evidence that there are major framerate issues thanks to the DF analysis. It's just that you don't notice them. Being a PC gamer means nothing. I always hated shitty framerates for good reasons, even when I did not play on my PC. There are probably a majority of PC gamers who are playing their games somewhere between 20 and 59FPS, not locking the game to a stable 60FPS, which is the only solution for a smooth gameplay experience.

Right, I only mentioned that I was a PC gamer because of the people saying only PC gamers have a problem with the framerate.

I guess it just falls down to what the eye can see and tolerate. Personally, I'm not failing at this game or becoming frustrated because of the framerate, so it's a non issue for me.

Emwitus

your AI companions are completely invisible to the enemies, they are also practically invincible (the only way they can die is if the lengthy grab timer goes to zero)

And i'm glad that's the case. Can't imagine how frustrating it would be if the guy i'm not controlling would constantly get noticed by zombs/hums and it's AI is not up to par with mine.

And i'm glad that's the case. Can't imagine how frustrating it would be if the guy i'm not controlling would constantly get noticed by zombs/hums and it's AI is not up to par with mine.

That is a quick solution that doesn't solve the bigger problem though, the AI are ridiculously stupid. It'd be better if the AI weren't invisible but rather had some common sense.

Cloudy

Banned

Yeah some folks take immersion way too far. That would be fucking tedious like most escort missions in games

Cloudy

Banned
I suppose I'll try and make the best of it and just wait till I have some friends over that are interested in the game but don't own a Playstation. First time I've lost a good chunk of time to a game.

I won't be playing while signed in again!

Emwitus

That is a quick solution that doesn't solve the bigger problem though, the AI are ridiculously stupid. It'd be better if the AI weren't invisible but rather had some common sense.

That's the only solution on a PS3. I'm trying to think of games that are heavy on stealth and have a companion AI from start to finish...Someone give me an example so we can compare.

Top Bottom