• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Xeno_V

I'm not trying to fight. I need an item to open a door and I don't have that item and haven't found an alternate route.

Take that item before you
turn the lights on
and then just run to the exit, it's easy to skip this part without using a single bullet. On top of that the game aut-saves before that point.

I still can't believe that ND really thought that having enemies' weapon magically disappear into thin air the second they're killed was a good idea. Coupling that with Joel's inability to loot bodies makes for one cheap difficulty setting. What's worse is that 95% of ARMED soldier don't carry any ammo on them yet random infected civilians carry around with them shotgun shells or friggin' fuel canisters. Where the hell is the logic in that? Is this amateur hour?

I get it that they tried to make this game all about survival with minimal resources at your disposal but this is not the way to do it.

It's not logical for civilians to have guns? Really? Those people died fighting for their lifes. Most people you meet in the game carry guns and if they turn they'll still have them on them.
And you want every armed enemy to drop ammo? I think you're playing the wrong game.

Arch Stanton

Neo Member
So, I'm currently 56% of the way through the game. Loving it so far. I have some questions, if someone would kindly answer please:

1) I'm playing on Hard with Listen Mode off, but a friend was asking whether Normal mode meant that enemies had less health and you had more health – anyone know if this is true? I had heard that the only difference between Normal and Hard was that you got more supplies on Normal. Does the AI change-up tactics on you on Hard?

2) When I started playing today, I was 44% of the way through, in the lower depths of (location spoilers):
the hotel in Pittsburgh. Thus far, the most intense place encountered. I died a ton, mostly by the goddamn Bloaters. The only way I got through it was by running like hell. During my successful run, I didn't encounter a Bloater at all.
Did this happen to anyone else? Maybe my game glitched out on me there and I ended up getting lucky as a result...?

3) Regarding (enemy type spoilers):
the Stalkers and the Bloaters, if you're hiding, can they see you? I take it they can see the flashlight. How do I stealth kill a Stalker? I can never tell what their line of sight distance is.
I hate those bastards.

Terrific pacing and incredible tension. I feel exhausted after every play session. I'm going slow as hell, too. 56% complete at 14.5 hours of play time.

EDIT: I love fighting humans in this game. They're the "devil I know," as opposed to the infected, which are always going to the devil I don't know. I love the way Naughty Dog captured the sense of surprise when you get the jump on a human enemy.

Hixx

2) When I started playing today, I was 44% of the way through, in the lower depths of (location spoilers):
the hotel in Pittsburgh. Thus far, the most intense place encountered. I died a ton, mostly by the goddamn Bloaters. The only way I got through it was by running like hell. During my successful run, I didn't encounter a Bloater at all.
Did this happen to anyone else? Maybe my game glitched out on me there and I ended up getting lucky as a result...?

Exactly what happened to me. Wonder if the game took pity!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For those of you who started their first playthrough on normal, how much supplies are you finding? Do ever feel they're in excess at any point, whether they're ammo or crafting material?

I'm playing on hard right now, and going steal every chance I get, not even taking down every enemy I face. I'm barely using ammo, yet I'm still barely making it because there ain't anything lying around. I've swept the areas good afaik, and oly ignored one shiv door. This game is killing me. It's good, but sometimes it's not fun.

I need to play something whimsical for a change.

Mush

Oh man, just got to the bit where I PRESUME MID-LATE GAME SPOILER RIGHT HERE
you take over as Ellie and lead away the hunters from where Joel is.

Shit is so intense.

Sethos

Banned
Need some quick advice because I can already tell it's going to be one of those sections I need to retry 60 Million times and I simply don't have the patience for it. Playing on Hard, after ( 4-5 hours in )
the fall in the elevator shaft, where the elevator falls down and Ellie is left up top. You make your way through the basement and at some point you need to start a generator to get they keycard pad working. So once you've started the generator 3-4 runners come at you and a fucking bloater and they constantly know where you are, no hiding, no nothing. I simply do not have enough ammunition to take them all out, I tried gunning for the door but they ALWAYS seem to be coming towards me
what's the approach here?

Bollocks

For those of you who started their first playthrough on normal, how much supplies are you finding? Do ever feel they're in excess at any point, whether they're ammo or crafting material?

No, I play on normal and it's a nice sweet spot
So far I've never run out of ammo but I also don't swim in it, it's just enough, you still have to be resourceful.

Pranay

Need some quick advice because I can already tell it's going to be one of those sections I need to retry 60 Million times and I simply don't have the patience for it. Playing on Hard, after ( 4-5 hours in )
the fall in the elevator shaft, where the elevator falls down and Ellie is left up top. You make your way through the basement and at some point you need to start a generator to get they keycard pad working. So once you've started the generator 3-4 runners come at you and a fucking bloater and they constantly know where you are, no hiding, no nothing. I simply do not have enough ammunition to take them all out, I tried gunning for the door but they ALWAYS seem to be coming towards me

once you have started the generator, take a brick and run till you reach the door where i think you have to swipe it with a card and then open the door , throw the brick to knockout and craft a mine if possible, the door should open by then

Pranay

I'm playing on hard right now, and going steal every chance I get, not even taking down every enemy I face. I'm barely using ammo, yet I'm still barely making it because there ain't anything lying around. I've swept the areas good afaik, and oly ignored one shiv door. This game is killing me. It's good, but sometimes it's not fun.

I need to play something whimsical for a change.

Ammos are enough when enimies are many and you search a lot , ammos are very low when enimies are many or less.

So its well balenced.

Truant

I still can't believe that ND really thought that having enemies' weapon magically disappear into thin air the second they're killed was a good idea. Coupling that with Joel's inability to loot bodies makes for one cheap difficulty setting. What's worse is that 95% of ARMED soldier don't carry any ammo on them yet random infected civilians carry around with them shotgun shells or friggin' fuel canisters. Where the hell is the logic in that? Is this amateur hour?

I get it that they tried to make this game all about survival with minimal resources at your disposal but this is not the way to do it.

Agreed. Makes the world feel less real.

Took me a while also.

What I did was...
find the keycard first, then I found the door that uses the keycard. Familiarized my self with the quickest route from the Jenny to the keycard door. Turned on the Jenny and ran like hell to the door. Didn't waste a single bullet.

Dave1988

It's not logical for civilians to have guns? Really? Those people died fighting for their lifes. Most people you meet in the game carry guns and if they turn they'll still have them on them.
And you want every armed enemy to drop ammo? I think you're playing the wrong game.

Oh, so it's perfectly logical for infected to be carrying around ammo yet armed enemies carrying no reserve ammo on them and their guns magically disappearing into thin air upon death isn't?

True, but on the other hand it makes for a much better game.

I'll have to disagree with that. In my opinion, it makes the game's difficulty feel cheap rather than actually challenging.

mxgt

Banned

Playing on hard as well and I had quite a lot of ammo saved up at that point so I just blew the fuck out of them all. I did die 4-5 times trying to get it right, though.

Probably my favourite section in the game so far, intense as fuck and
no partner AI present to break the immersion

The stories by proxy in this game are the best shit.

Best one for me:
Ish and Kyle and the children

What happened to him in the end? I think I missed a note or two.

My last one was when he mentioned he and Susan has taken some of the kids to live somewhere else. Also Susan is the only reason that keeps him going.

Sethos

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys.

I
familiarized myself with the route, built a few bombs as I have tons of materials I don't use, started the generator, ran like hell and dropped one or two bombs along the way. Jesus that was intense.

RS4-

What happens if you fail to sustain your clan?

Pretty sure you start all over again from week 1, but keep whatever you unlocked already.

Had a team of three + one random, went undefeated over maybe 3-4ish weeks. I think I'm at 108 survivors at week 9. Would have more if I didn't have a bunch of those guaranteed population loss missions.

Unlocked flamethrower, going to see how that is later.

Not a huge fan of Checkpoint.

HigXx

Middle of the game (?) spoilers.
I can't for the life of me get past this Pittsburgh Hotel Basement as well, no matter what I do, a Runner always finds me and then the Bloater appears

What happened to him in the end? I think I missed a note or two.

My last one was when he mentioned he and Susan has taken some of the kids to live somewhere else. Also Susan is the only reason that keeps him going.

Explanation

You find Kyle in the sewer section before the note you found, where he left a note that they (Kyle+children) were surrounded and hopes Ish would return soon. The place where you found that note houses a dead body and several child corpses covered up by a blanket. Joel makes a comment about it if you found that note.

As for Ish, I don't know

Donos

The user reviews on metacritic are simply pathetic.

i don't know what you mean. Just truthfacts:

4hrPzQr.jpg

and three people agree.

Oh, so it's perfectly logical for infected to be carrying around ammo yet armed enemies carrying no reserve ammo on them and their guns magically disappearing into thin air upon death isn't?

I'll have to disagree with that. In my opinion, it makes the game's difficulty feel cheap rather than actually challenging.

It's perfectly logical for both to carry ammo and it's perfectly logical that ammo drops are rare since this is a survival game.
I'm playing on hard, over halfway through and I've never run out of ammo. Hell, I think there's still too much.

Metacritic really needs a better class of troll. *dons mask*
Reaches into bag of Cheetos and gets to typing

Anyone try Survivor difficulty yet?

Septimius

Well, many infected are fresh, meaning they probably defended themselves dying. Thus, it could make sense that they do carry ammo.

Well, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. On one hand, it would be most realistic for silent take down to yield most ammo, since they don't use it before you kill them. But, at the same time, if you're silently taking down a squad, it'd be overkill for you to get 30 shots of ammo. Since you're taking them down silently, anyway, you don't need that much ammo. You'd be a walking ammo-belt in no time, and then it would just turn into Uncharted for combat. On the other hand, if you do rely on ammo, and you shoot many enemies, you'd be stomped if you got no ammo in return, and you'd quickly be frustrated with the game.

As such, both sides get a minimalistic feel, and the atmosphere is preserved, despite your playing style. It's a very nice, dynamic system, so long as you don't notice it. Imagine that the player 'shapes' who Joel was, as in super-imposing their own traits onto the character they're playing, as you always will, because it's the player that decides if it's good to sneak by a bunch of clickers, or go bonkers and shiv them all to death. As such, you are a part of Joel's psyche. If you play a gung-ho game, the minimalistic feel comes from enemies dropping a tiny amount of ammo each time. If you play a stealth and smart Joel, the survivor feel comes from just having a reserve clip in your gun for emergencies.

It breaks with the consistency of the world, and maybe we even should start tracking statistics on the player's moves, and slowly change the drop, so that it's not noticeable, instead of just saying "if this guy's shot, drop 2-5 bullets, otherwise drop 0-2", which is easier to catch.

big_z

im watching a play through and im very early but in a spoiler free answer is it ever explained why they have to lug knock off ellen page to
the firefly doctors instead of simply sending a biopsy and blood sample.

Sethos

Banned
My main problem with the game right now is the fucking bullet sponging. Nothing more frustrating in a game with limited ammo seeing a guy take TWO fucking shotgun bursts at 4-5m range and still manage to quickly recover and shoot at you. Bullet sponging is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming.

Pranay

lighting is great

My main problem with the game right now is the fucking bullet sponging. Nothing more frustrating in a game with limited ammo seeing a guy take TWO fucking shotgun bursts at 4-5m range and still manage to quickly recover and shoot at you. Bullet sponging is the worst thing that has ever happened to gaming.

Sometime they take 2 and sometimes they take 1. Come vlose and shoot or punch and then shoot, they beg for mercy when you punch and they fall to their knees

I took 2 out with one shot, and got some ingame money as well

Edit - oh wait they were runners

Hunters do they take two shots

Yeah, the actual gameplay is nothing new. How many games have the "blind but super hearing" monsters now? Like with Bioshock its the story and characters that push this game along.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

It's not bullet sponging when you're "smart" enough to shoot with a shotgun at this range LOL

Sethos

Banned
I know but you obviously don't.

Are you kidding me? A Shotgun with a Buckshot round, being the round with the shortest lethal distance is still lethal at OVER 50 meters. Yes, your logic is sound when you go "LOL 4 meters lolol" that certainly doesn't make you look ignorant. Shooting someone with a buckshot at less than 5 meters is enough to blow a nice hole in them.

But I can see you have a lot of experience with game shotguns that are lethal at 20cm.

Fuck, the logic people will apply to defend games baffles me sometimes.

A Shotgun spread chart;

where_spread2.jpg

I think under powered shotguns are worse, personally.

Sethos

Banned
I think under powered shotguns are worse, personally.

Well, touché. But yes weak weapons / bullet sponging, depends how you look at it :p

I just hate how the shotgun is portrayed in so many games, like this thing that is lethal at 2 yards and beyond that they are useless.

Top Bottom