• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Ok I am not getting good at encounters with fungi people. Can someone tell me how they proceed with their encounters/room full of infected with clickers and runners? (still about 3 hours in)
Use lots of bricks and bottles to lure them away from you, you don't even need to kill them. Also note that clickers cannot see you if you are moving slowly. I've had numerous occasions where I'm standing in the middle of a pack of clickers and I'm perfectly fine, just through a brick across the room and they all leave. If you have a (weapons spoiler)
Molotov or flamethrower it is very effective once you've been spotted.
If worst comes to worse start running away and eventually they'll lose track of you and you can re-approach the situation with more stealth.

Fistwell

Any suggestions on what to spend my supplement points on first? I have 60 so far, wondering if I should go health first, or maybe try for weapon sway?
Just one point in sway already makes a huge difference, made guns a lot more useful for me. Health is useful too. Why not both.

ZanDatsu

Finished it a couple of hours ago, been feeling strangely introspective since, to the point of coming to loathe my inability to express exactly why this one was so special--succinctly, at least. Putting it simply, I've been playing games for 20 years now and this tops it all, nothing else is even close. My losing a full day of playing to a save bug didn't sour the overall experience in the slightest. In fact, none of my complaints even bear mentioning when the game is taken as a whole. This work should be celebrated.

Can you please answer to what is different in Survivor?

So I know there are less supplies...

What about damage and health? Are there remixed enemies, better equipped enemies?

How much more difficult is it than Hard?

Seems...pretty similar, to me. Less supplies, I suppose, but enemy encounters seem about the same. Museum escape sequence, same amount of guys, do the same amount of damage. I think they spot you faster and can see you from further away, but that could just be my speculation. I used a lot of my Hard mode tactics(wait for a guy to come around your corner, grab him with triangle still effective as ever). The melee prompts aren't there, so when you see an enemy dodge, you just better know to press triangle and dodge ala Uncharted. Ellie still gave me a med kit when I didn't have one, so that's still there.

Yeah I had like no health and no medkit so I used my last shotgun blast on an infected and then ran like hell

i have three nail bombs, lots of ammo and stuff and im fighting them downstairs where the power generator /water filled rooms are. so you can run and just use the card key to get the hell out of there? cuz i died like 10 times.

i have three nail bombs, lots of ammo and stuff and im fighting them downstairs where the power generator /water filled rooms are. so you can run and just use the card key to get the hell out of there? cuz i died like 10 times.
Yeah just run like hell and get to the door

Animal

Banned
Finished it a couple of hours ago, been feeling strangely introspective since, to the point of coming to loathe my inability to express exactly why this one was so special--succinctly, at least. Putting it simply, I've been playing games for 20 years now and this tops it all, nothing else is even close. My losing a full day of playing to a save bug didn't sour the overall experience in the slightest. In fact, none of my complaints even bear mentioning when the game is taken as a whole. This work should be celebrated.

This is exactly how I felt after completing Red Dead Redemption. I can't wait to finish this game even more now.

danthefan

At
The dam now
. This game is magnificent imo. So help me god if I get to the end of the game and
Ellie or Joel get killed/turned
I am gonna lose my shit.

I am about 3 hours in now and all I can say is that this is my game of the generation. I am a mass effect nut job but this... This game is breathtaking. The only hitches I've seen is that it's froze up on me after I died once during a load screen. I'm in a room full of fungimon and trying not to die right now lol.

At
The dam now
. This game is magnificent imo. So help me god if I get to the end of the game and
Ellie or Joel get killed/turned
I am gonna lose my shit.
Can't wait for you (and others) to get to the end so I can continue to debate with people in the spoilers thread. It's a good one, I'll give you that.

Use lots of bricks and bottles to lure them away from you, you don't even need to kill them. Also note that clickers cannot see you if you are moving slowly. I've had numerous occasions where I'm standing in the middle of a pack of clickers and I'm perfectly fine, just through a brick across the room and they all leave. If you have a (weapons spoiler)
Molotov or flamethrower it is very effective once you've been spotted.
If worst comes to worse start running away and eventually they'll lose track of you and you can re-approach the situation with more stealth.

Is there a better way to take out a clicker other than shiv, weapon or melee to the face?

Is there a better way to take out a clicker other than shiv, weapon or melee to the face?

Shotguns work pretty good, since they will be running straight at you. Still my personal opinion on the best way to deal with clickers is not to. Use the fact that they have no eyes to your advantage. I know there was one part where I opened a door and there were a couple clickers chilling out inside with some resources. I had nothing to deal with them and didn't want to waste bullets, so I slowly walked in, grabbed what I wanted, and left.

This game scares the crap out of me sometimes :(

Some of the scene in that game are totally horrifying. (Mid-Pittsburgh minor area spoiler)
When you fall down the elevator shaft and you start up the generator down there, hearing the cries of all the clickers, I was so lose to just turning off the game and going somewhere well-lit.

So...while I was playing last night, my entire city block lost power at complete random. Everything was completely silent for about three minutes until I looked outside. Saw a stream of cop cars and ambulances streak by, and heard people screaming around the corner.

Not gonna lie, I was so into the game that I actually opened up my closet and got my baseball bat out just in case.

This game, people. This game.

Palmer_v1

Multiplayer is pretty fun even with shitty teammates that don't coordinate. The lack of ammo has led me to several instances where scavenging for more, or trying to melee kill were my only options. Can get kind of tense. Haven't leveled up enough to get all the skills I want yet. Like the semi-auto rifle the most for weapons so far.

Need to get some better teammates though.

So...while I was playing last night, my entire city block lost power at complete random. Everything was completely silent for about three minutes until I looked outside. Saw a stream of cop cars and ambulances streak by, and heard people screaming around the corner.

Not gonna lie, I was so into the game that I actually opened up my closet and got my baseball bat out just in case.

Holy shit...where do you live? What happened? That sounds crazy

Shotguns work pretty good, since they will be running straight at you. Still my personal opinion on the best way to deal with clickers is not to. Use the fact that they have no eyes to your advantage. I know there was one part where I opened a door and there were a couple clickers chilling out inside with some resources. I had nothing to deal with them and didn't want to waste bullets, so I slowly walked in, grabbed what I wanted, and left.
I know exactly what part you're talking about. Both Joel and I went "Oh shit" at the same time and then I just backed away

ThisOne

What's up with the graphic in the lower left of the screen of the Dualshock controller? I think it's prompting me to shake it but it seems to happen at completely random times. Anyone know what this is?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just got past the E3 demo section on hard. I could replay that level over and over. SO fucking good. I restarted it once and my second play through was completely different. The way the enemies reacted, to the path I took, to the death animations, etc. So dynamic.

This game is unbelievable. The attention to detail is absolutely mind blowing. From graphics, to animations, to actual details. For instance a nice note once crumpled is forever wrinkled in your inventory. Or trash-bags that you can actually see the trash inside because the plastic is stretched too thin. The way you can see the reflection of your flashlight on walls in the water. The way Joel takes cover in the same position as another character. The shear amount and detail of death animations. The nicely done baked cloth physics. The amount of clutter and decay. The way plant life has retaken much of the landscape. Or the way the pooling blood of an enemy reflects light.

The sound design is out of this world. I am playing with my Turtle Beach XP Seven headset, and holy hell. The atmosphere and immersion is absolutely insane. The sound of footsteps on different materials, the drip of water in a bathroom, the creaking of a ruined city, etc. The portion I am on now, near pitch black, and avoiding using my flashlight, guiding myself by mostly sound. Creepy as hell.

Game is everything I wanted and more. Unless something drastically changes for the worst the latter half of the game, this will be my game of the year by far.

Naughty Gods indeed.

Hale-XF11

Total immersion!

That reminds me of the time I played Eternal Darkness during a thunderstorm. Never again.

What's up with the graphic in the lower left of the screen of the Dualshock controller? I think it's prompting me to shake it but it seems to happen at completely random times. Anyone know what this is?

I finally realized its to recharge your flashlight. I was so confused at first when it was popping up

Animal

Banned

its to reseat the batteries in your flashlight. nice little touch i find. just shake your controller a little.

Just got past the E3 demo section on hard. I could replay that level over and over. SO fucking good. I restarted it once and my second play through was completely different. The way the enemies reacted, to the path I took, to the death animations, etc. So dynamic.

This game is unbelievable. The attention to detail is absolutely mind blowing. From graphics, to animations, to actual details. For instance a nice note once crumpled is forever wrinkled in your inventory. Or trash-bags that you can actually see the trash inside because the plastic is stretched too thin. The way you can see the reflection of your flashlight on walls in the water. The way Joel takes cover in the same position as another character. The shear amount and detail of death animations. The nicely done baked cloth physics. The amount of clutter and decay. The way plant life has retaken much of the landscape. Or the way the pooling blood of an enemy reflects light.

The sound design is out of this world. I am playing with my Turtle Beach XP Seven headset, and holy hell. The atmosphere and immersion is absolutely insane. The sound of footsteps on different materials, the drip of water in a bathroom, the creaking of a ruined city, etc. The portion I am on now, near pitch black, and avoiding using my flashlight, guiding myself by mostly sound. Creepy as hell.

Game is everything I wanted and more. Unless something drastically changes for the worst the latter half of the game, this will be my game of the year by far.

Naughty Gods indeed.
I know, Pittsburg is by far the best level/area of the game so far. I really can't see how the game could top those encounters and those open "arenas"

It does, right?

Ok, Just beat it on Normal 16hr 33min. Only 3 trophies 0.o

First off, MAJOR props on length. Game never dragged and hit the perfect sweet spot. I'm not saying every game has to be 10hr+ but it damn sure is nice.

Pros:
- Graphics, best this gen imo. I'm scared to see Tlou2 on PS4.
- Story. Love it. Great writing and acting.
- Music
- Gameplay was simple and fluid (shooting was a little off in some places). Love the combat system.
- Controls are solid. My only gripe is the super slow walking. Maybe my controller is too old but the analog was very sensitive.

Cons:
- AI. The only bad thing about the game. Especially following the UC series. Why are enemies running from the opposite side of the house right up into my face? Why are they running around in circles? This game is going to destroy me on survivor. Ellie's AI on the other hand is great. A little ify during shootouts But great for the most part.

With that said not only is it in my top 5 this gen but it'd in my top 5 overall. We all know there is no such thing as a "perfect" game. I can see why a lot of people won't like it. Stealth is HUGE. As a huge Metal Gear and Batman Arkham fan, I LOVED it. Stealth and exploration are my favorite and they nailed it. I give it a 10 because it's right up my alley. Love stealth, good combat system, great production, perfect length, and it makes me want a sequel.

Trophies are brutal though. I honestly can't believe i missed the optional convos and shiv all door trophies.

JambiBum

I'm not really expecting much from the AI when it comes to the stealth stuff but at least make it to where they don't sprint across the room and shoot st the first enemy that comes near them. The invisibility stuff I can understated. The sprinting and shooting before you actually have to I don't.

sunnz

Ok, Just beat it on Normal 16hr 33min. Only 3 trophies 0.o

First off, MAJOR props on length. Game never dragged and hit the perfect sweet spot. I'm not saying every game has to be 10hr+ but it damn sure is nice.

Pros:
- Graphics, best this gen imo. I'm scared to see Tlou2 on PS4.
- Story. Love it. Great writing and acting.
- Music
- Gameplay was simple and fluid (shooting was a little off in some places). Love the combat system.
- Controls are solid. My only gripe is the super slow walking. Maybe my controller is too old but the analog was very sensitive.

Cons:
- AI. The only bad thing about the game. Especially following the UC series. Why are enemies running from the opposite side of the house right up into my face? Why are they running around in circles? This game is going to destroy me on survivor. Ellie's AI on the other hand is great. A little ify during shootouts But great for the most part.

With that said not only is it in my top 5 this gen but it'd in my top 5 overall. We all know there is no such thing as a "perfect" game. I can see why a lot of people won't like it. Stealth is HUGE. As a huge Metal Gear and Batman Arkham fan, I LOVED it. Stealth and exploration are my favorite and they nailed it. I give it a 10 because it's right up my alley. Love stealth, good combat system, great production, perfect length, and it makes me want a sequel.

Trophies are brutal though. I honestly can't believe i missed the optional convos and shiv all door trophies.

Wait, you don't like that the AI flank you and make encounters more intense and that the AI basically act like how actual people would? That they confuse you by moving around a lot?

Would you prefer them to stay behind cover in front of you like many other games do?

The enemy AI is one of the best IMO.

And no, the friendly AI is the problem, from running in-front of enemies and clickers, talking loudly when you are trying to be sneaky and shooting when you are again being sneaky...

Carl

done.

thanks guys :)

but wasted 3 nail bombs. don't know why haha

Going back to this again but yeah this was terrifying. One of the most terrifying points in the game for me.

I crept up to the door and got through the "shit, it won't open" bit so as to minimise the amount of time i had to spent there when the Bloater was after me. Then i set a couple of nailbombs down that hallway, turned the generator on, and legged it. Worked well :p

I shouldn't have said ND lied about the glitch. Just being overzealous because I am loving the hell out of this game and nothing ruins a game for me more than losing progress, could be a complete masterpiece and my enthusiasm to continue would be killed at the same.

elohel

your AI companions are completely invisible to the enemies, they are also practically invincible (the only way they can die is if the lengthy grab timer goes to zero)

No he's right the game would be more fun if you had to manage two ai characters not being killed

everyone would love that

Thoughts in Elizabeth anyone? lol this tread is atrocious with trolling for real

DatDude

Banned
I know, Pittsburg is by far the best level/area of the game so far. I really can't see how the game could top those encounters and those open "arenas"

It does, right?

especially in the winter chapters yeah.

If you think you've seen everything than you've honestly seen nothing yet.

Total immersion!

That reminds me of the time I played Eternal Darkness during a thunderstorm. Never again.

I love horror game atmosphere. This game, Demon's Souls, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill...

I don't usually get immersed in games, but atmosphere TOTALLY gets to me. :)

Top Bottom