• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Kibokun

So I think I'm pretty screwed...

I started the section when you have to run along the highway away from the Hunter truck at 20% health. Joel doesn't want to stay sprinting, so I keep getting shot in the back. I don't have any earlier save points....do I have any options here?

EDIT: Actually, never mind! I started adjusting my direction during a sprint using the right stick, and I never got caught up / stopped sprinting. Weird!

elohel

It seems that way! You know, I'm really not a harsh critic either. It's just when I buy/play a game that has a bigger budget and better resources than most, I expect greater things. It's also by one of the most "talented" and respected developers around. My expectations when playing a so called "AAA" game is much different than any other game and they're hardly ever met. I know I'm generalizing a bit here, but that's just how I feel about these types of games. You have 100's of people, tons of money, advertising power, and top of the line resources and this is what you produce? I'll never understand why games like this get the attention they receive. I guess people really are easily swayed by visuals, I don't know.

Try writing a game engine or even designing a game design document then hiring people who all have varying skills even though they're "qualified"

It's that you have unrealistic expectations and don't understand how to interpret people's relative excitement

Dany

Banned
Short question for those who completed

What is the time jump from when you were with henry and the following scene in your in the woods. I wasn't focused on the screen because of my tears ;(

NekoFever

Cons:
- AI. The only bad thing about the game. Especially following the UC series.
You thought it was significantly different to Uncharted? Enemy AI has been one of my few bugbears with ND games this generation, and I recall getting sick of a few encounters in the Uncharted games when being spotted by one enemy meant all of them were alerted and knew exactly where you were. I actually found TLOU to be better in some respects at letting you shake pursuers.

It's something I really hope they work on next gen.

Currently playing it again on Survivor. Man it's hard. Every bullet counts. It's like sacrificing your children to the Infected. I don't like how at some parts of the game you can't completely go stealthy and avoid confrontation. The most frustrating part so far for me was
the school with Bill.

Hmmm. 2 and a half hours in and I'm confused about the slow burn everyone is talking about. What exactly was supposed to be boring? i was expecting after the intro to walk around for two hours putting up planks and ladders without facing an enemy. But i love the narrative and gameplay pacing so far and dont find it boring a bit

I am especially loving the stealth/action gameplay. I'm a stealth nut and although its not the best stealth gameplay ever (especially not being able to move bodies, don't think there are any binoculars), it is still loads of fun. Very satisfying mix, like uncharted but a lot better. I actually get excited when I see a group of clickers and runners instead of groaning like I sometimes did in Uncharted. Maybe I will the further i get but so far this has been a great experience. Told my wife I'd take the day off so we can go into town, but tomorrow I have nothing to do and I'm gonna get some mountain dews and Taco Bell and make a day of it :)

Oh, it does.

It really does.
That's awesome. I mean, first, fighting humans kicks ass.

Second, the areas in Pittsburgh were just so open ended...actually they put Crysis 2 (the last urban semi-sandbox game I played) to shame. Multi floored, multi roomed sprawling environments with tons of ways to flank...just blew me away

So if it gets even better...then holy shit, I can't wait.

Going back to this again but yeah this was terrifying. One of the most terrifying points in the game for me.

I crept up to the door and got through the "shit, it won't open" bit so as to minimise the amount of time i had to spent there when the Bloater was after me. Then i set a couple of nailbombs down that hallway, turned the generator on, and legged it. Worked well :p

it was tense, scary and i honestly felt hopeless.

like, giving up the game hopeless haha.

Vire

Hmmm. 2 and a half hours in and I'm confused about the slow burn everyone is talking about. What exactly was supposed to be boring? i was expecting after the intro to walk around for two hours putting up planks and ladders without facing an enemy. But i love the narrative and gameplay pacing so far and dont find it boring a bit

I am especially loving the stealth/action gameplay. I'm a stealth nut and although its not the best stealth gameplay ever (especially not being able to move bodies, don't think there are any binoculars), it is still loads of fun. Very satisfying mix, like uncharted but a lot better. I actually get excited when I see a group of clickers and runners instead of groaning like I sometimes did in Uncharted. Maybe I will the further i get but so far this has been a great experience. Told my wife I'd take the day off so we can go into town, but tomorrow I have the day off and I'm gonna get some mountain dews and Taco Bell and make a day of it :)

If you love it now... you are in for a treat my friend.

From "Pittsburgh" on is just phenomenal.

okay is there any way to go back to a previous part? I got to a part where I could go two ways
Inside a building where a guy runs out at you (I reset when he got the jump on me) and then after throwing a bottle at the tripmines by the fence, which leads me to getting strung up upside down by one of Bill's traps.
Well now I'm caught at the latter part, now realizing that this was the way to go to progress the story and now I'm just hoping I can go back to the other part...

I am especially loving the stealth/action gameplay. I'm a stealth nut and although its not the best stealth gameplay ever (especially not being able to move bodies, don't think there are any binoculars), it is still loads of fun. Very satisfying mix, like uncharted but a lot better. I actually get excited when I see a group of clickers and runners instead of groaning like I sometimes did in Uncharted. Maybe I will the further i get but so far this has been a great experience. Told my wife I'd take the day off so we can go into town, but tomorrow I have the day off and I'm gonna get some mountain dews and Taco Bell and make a day of it :)
If you're a stealth nut like me...just wait. At Pittsburg, the environments really open up and allow so many ways to flank. I really was amazed by how open the areas got

I got my first safe combination note, but I can't find the safe. I fear that I may be going away from where ever it is hidden..I'm in the area where we first see
Bill's trip line bomb go off on a clicker in an alley. (Whoa, nelly!)
. Anyone know where it's at?

Bladenic

I got my first safe combination note, but I can't find the safe. I fear that I may be going away from where ever it is hidden..I'm in the area where we first see
Bill's trip line bomb go off on a clicker in an alley. (Whoa, nelly!)
. Anyone know where it's at?

It was in the main town area, beside a truck.

Darkatomz

I just past the point in the game where you reach the same bar as in UC3. I smiled.

That aside, the game is really good so far. My only minor nitpick is that me, being from Boston, noticed that the city itself wasn't faithfully reproduced. The duck boats hit home though :/

wastewater

Neo Member
"He's down, quick get him! Triangle, triangle, i'm pressing it! Fuck it, Square, Square! NO FUCK OFF turn back around quick befor-"

*gets killed*
*Cue rage*

Can't stay mad though, i haven't stopped flicking through offline/on all weekend. I can't remember the last game i couldn't easily put down. Well done ND you delivered, would buy again on PS4.

If you're a stealth nut like me...just wait. At Pittsburg, the environments really open up and allow so many ways to flank. I really was amazed by how open the areas got

Mmmm sounds delicious. So far I love the dynamic of clickers and runners and as you really have to have a plan of attack. I got one shot bitten like 8 times in a row and loved every minute of it as I kept making new plans of attack.

Only technical problems I've had so far have been collectibles and signs being blurred out. Weird but I'm sure it will be fixed.

Idk that 14 year old girls cuss that much.

Unless you mean appearance. Then probably.
Oh trust me, kids do. My eleven year old brother curses when my parents aren't home and he has learned certain things from his friends..that 11-years shouldn't know. They just don't talk/act like that when parents and adults are around

Just finished! 17 hours 52 mins (on normal)

Kind of wanted to do a playthrough on Hard next but new game plus is too tempting... I'll save hard for my 3rd playthrough I guess.

So happy with how this game turned out, it truly lived up to the hype/my expectations. Definitely top 5 of the gen for me, probably more like top 3.

So out of curiosity, how long did it take you to beat the game and how did you play? I here people getting much longer numbers than me and want to know why.

It took me 12 hours and 56 minutes. I played on hard and died 96 times. Took my time and explored every room for resources and simply to look at posters and whatnot for easter eggs. Also tried to remain stealthy most the time. For the most part I didn't read the journals and notes.

Bladenic

Fourteen year old girls definitely can cuss that much. Besides, you need to consider the kind of environment that Ellie must have been raised in.

Haha yeah I thought about it some more and I can see it. Ellie being the way she is definitely makes sense in the world of the game, I wasn't disputing that at all.

Hey how does it work when you replay chapters? Does that reset your progress from that chapter? What upgrades or supplies do you have when you replay?

Oh and does a new game plus make the game any harder? Like in Arkham City, you had all your gadgets and upgrades but enemies were armored and had better equipment from the start and there was no counter icon

Can you please answer to what is different in Survivor?

So I know there are less supplies...

What about damage and health? Are there remixed enemies, better equipped enemies?

How much more difficult is it than Hard?

It's not substantially different. There aren't the player indicator icons for combat. There is substantially less, almost ten-fold less items to scavenge. Enemies seems to be about the same as far as combat is concerned. It does feel like a more desperate struggle to get through any situation. And it's amazing for it.

It's not substantially different. There aren't the player indicator icons for combat. There is substantially less, almost ten-fold less items to scavenge. Enemies seems to be about the same as far as combat is concerned. It does feel like a more desperate struggle to get through any situation. And it's amazing for it.
Wow that's a substantial decrease in supplies.

megalowho

Sat down to play yesterday and couldn't stop. Must have gone for 6-7 hours straight which I don't usually do, especially with a game as tense and draining as this one. Even now I'm not so sure I want to jump back in there, yet I know when I do it'll be hard to put down.

Lots of positive takeaways and a few negatives so far, the game looks and feels pretty amazing. Major props to the voice cast and direction, everyone acts and sounds like actual humans with depth and nuance. It's a little tiring moving through yet another post-apocalyptic video game with most of the tropes that setting entails, but I was down to see what they do with this one from that first gripping scene onward. Pacing is methodical and excellent, love how oppressive things get coupled with the eventual catharsis of seeing sunlight and greenery pouring through the end of a long dark tunnel.

I do think dying and restarting tricky combat scenarios a few times in a row takes you out of the moment and sours the experience, especially when it's a one hit kill, but learning how to manage those enemies and getting better at it has been challenging and rewarding. I also like how the game makes you tackle stealth situations with a realistic toolset (sonar vision aside), though I'm not sure yet what kind of arsenal Joel winds up with. Can't wait to see where things end up.

The opening of this game is mind-blowing.

So simple, yet so effective.
It felt as dreadful as any moment in gaming. I was extremely impressed with the opening, and not so much for the next few hours, and then impressed ever since the end of those few hours. I wasn't a Naughty Dog fan before this game, but I am now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
For me my play-time was just over 20 hours on Hard, though I died 166 times (a lot of those from certain segments trying over and over, like the school) and I did a lot of stealth when I could. I also explored a lot and in some areas just took some time to appreciate everything.

A day later after beating it, I think the story was unfocused at times and the final area wasn't a good finale in my eyes, but did really enjoy it.

Hey how does it work when you replay chapters? Does that reset your progress from that chapter? What upgrades or supplies do you have when you replay?

Oh and does a new game plus make the game any harder? Like in Arkham City, you had all your gadgets and upgrades but enemies were armored and had better equipment from the start and there was no counter icon

I would love to know the bolded as well

Oh trust me, kids do. My eleven year old brother curses when my parents aren't home and he has learned certain things from his friends..that 11-years shouldn't know. They just don't talk/act like that when parents and adults are around

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm surprised at the curses kids know these days. My friends 10 year old brother says curses that I didn't know until I was at least 13. I can believe that a 14 year old girl in a future like that would curse that much.

Takuya

Banned
Was in Los Angeles for E3 all of last week... Trying to find a copy of The Last of Us this weekend... Sold out everywhere... Damn.

I feel like I'm just ot playing this right at times. In the area where there are a bunch of soldiers when
tess goes down
. I just can't understand how to survive that without guns blazing.

Also, what. Determines melee encounters. It seems like sometimes enemies get their combo in first and some times I do. Is there any counter mechanics?

Lima

Man my PS3 slim sounds like a jet engine playing this game. Crazy stuff. I never knew my PS3 could even get this loud.

Fantasmo

Winter is really getting on my nerves. Not having items or weapons sucks. Hope this is over very soon. Second Ellie part, fuckin ridiculous trying to separate them. Go to hell with this shit

I feel like I'm just ot playing this right at times. In the area where there are a bunch of soldiers when
tess goes down
. I just can't understand how to survive that without guns blazing.

Also, what. Determines melee encounters. It seems like sometimes enemies get their combo in first and some times I do. Is there any counter mechanics?
Huh, I didn't fire a single shot during that scene. Take your time and be more careful.

Top Bottom