• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
You can also just run past them and get to the exit, doesn't matter if they shoot at you.

Cloudy

Banned
Just met Bill. Soooo gooood (The sequence and finally getting dat shotty and some major upgrades)

A few questions:

- The black controller sign that pops up from time to time (to tilt) does what?
- Is there a way to evade Clicker grabs if you have no melee weapon to attack with? I seem to see the NPCs doing it

This is the best game I've ever played and it's not really close.

Vire

Just met Bill. Soooo gooood (The sequence and finally getting dat shotty and some major upgrades)

A few questions:

- Is there a way to evade Clicker grabs? I seem to see the NPCs doing it

The controller sign is it telling you that your "batteries" are low in your flashlight and you need to shake the controller (Six Axis) to reactivate them.

As for evading Clicker grabs, you can invest in a skill (the pill section) to use a shiv and escape a grab. Definitely worth it.

StuBurns

Banned

A few questions:

- Is there a way to evade Clicker grabs if you have no melee weapon to attack with? I seem to see the NPCs doing it

It charges your torch.
Not yet.

EDIT: Beaten

Cloudy

Banned
The controller sign is it telling you that your "batteries" are low in your flashlight and you need to shake the controller (Six Axis) to reactivate them.

As for evading Clicker grabs, you can invest in a skill (the pill section) to use a shiv and escape a grab. Definitely worth it.

Thanks! Man, I hate to put this game down but I also don't wanna blow through it lol

Another question: Is it worthless trying to headshot clickers with a pistol? Seems like it's better to stun them just shooting anywhere

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Thanks! Man, I hate to put this game down but I also don't wanna blow through it lol

Another question: Is it worthless trying to headshot clickers with a pistol? Seems like it's better to stun them just shooting anywhere

Hit them with a brick or bottle, then get 2-3 headshots in, game over.

(length spoilers)
Summer is by far the longest season. The others go by pretty fast

thank you.

on another note; did anyone else tear up in the intro? man. there was something so real about that.

also; i think this is only me, but i don't think the story is that good; or maybe i'm so sick of post-apocalyptic cliches and themes that it doesn't feel fresh to me...

it's still engaging, mind you, but i guess it comes down to personal tastes... i've prefered the world of Jak and Uncharted much better.

Damn this game is just so good. Having trouble finding the combination for the safe in the hotel, that place is huge.
Loving these sandboxes, lots of room to play hide and seek and try different approaches.

Vire

It depends if that is the last Clicker left. If it is, downing them with a headshot isn't a bad move.

Otherwise shooting creates a lot of noise.

Just a reminder, a bow headshot on a Clicker is a one shot kill. (Their heads explode) Investing in the bow helps out in the later sections if you want to play stealthy.

Sorian

Banned

Except in cases where the game expects you to clear the room, it's better to just ignore the clickers. Early game weapon spoilers:
If you do need to kill them with a weapon, I find an arrow to the head to be your best bet. If they are not alerted to your presense, it seems to always work as a one hit KO

CrazyDude

I am enjoying the joel and ellie relationship more than the booker and elizabeth relationship. Also, Ellie responds to the world around her better than elizabeth.

Cloudy

Banned
also; i think this is only me, but i don't think the story is that good; or maybe i'm so sick of post-apocalyptic cliches and themes that it doesn't feel fresh to me...

The characters are the "meat" of the story in a game like this. It's about their interactions on the journey IMO

PS: Who voices Ellie? She is awesome

Kud Dukan

Played for an hour or two today so far. That opening sequence is brilliant. Really enjoying the game so far. I think it's going to take me a while to get through, as I've been spending a lot of time just wandering around the environments.

Vire

I am enjoying the joel and ellie relationship more than the booker and elizabeth relationship. Also, Ellie responds to the world around her better than elizabeth.

I think it's due to the fact that Ellie is much more relatable and feels like a real human being.

Elizabeth might as well be an alien because she does not react the way a normal person would in any circumstances.
The characters are the "meat" of the story in a game like this. It's about their interactions on the journey IMO

PS: Who voices Ellie? She is awesome

Ashley Johnson, and yes she is great.

Cloudy

Banned
I am enjoying the joel and ellie relationship more than the booker and elizabeth relationship. Also, Ellie responds to the world around her better than elizabeth

I was just thinking the same thing. Like many folks, I'm playing this shortly after BI and I find myself comparing both games (Combat, characters, overall gameplay fun)

Really unfair to BI but it seems like a turd next to TLoU

legbone

damn, i just got to the part that was the demo and i guess i'm going to have to quit playing this game. i have a bc fat launch ps3. in the two hours i have been playing this morning it has locked up twice. the hard drive starts making a screaming clicking sound and the game freezes. i'm scared this game is going to kill my ps3. fuck. i'm really enjoying the game too.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think they interact more. The density of the optional conversations I've seen are much much smaller than BI or even the demo playthrough of this game from last year's E3. It's certainly a far better game than BI, but I wish they'd put a lot more of that optional stuff in there.

sunnz

Completed the game, LOVED it, ONE of the best easily.

MP is also very fun and intense, really HAPPY it turned out so good.

Still wish for a infected mode, but its still pretty amazing.

So I finished the game around 4 am this morning. Dat fucking game....Needless to say, I'm onto my second plathrough right now (New Game +).

Dat summer section, dat fall section, DAT WINTER SECTION, dat spring section. Every moment is a fucking gem. So much love put into this game.

Simply can't stop playing it. It's that engaging.

Sorian

Banned

You'll get an infected twist on horde mode with one of the MP expansions or I'll eat my hat
and a crow

netBuff

Multiplayer is amazing, really tense and interesting while being fitting to the game's theme - pretty addicting! They really knocked it out of the park with that one, I was expecting Uncharted-style online at best.

So I finished the game around 4 am this morning. Dat fucking game....Needless to say, I'm onto my second plathrough right now (New Game +).

Dat summer section, dat fall section, DAT WINTER SECTION, dat spring section. Every moment is a fucking gem. So much love put into this game.

Simply can't stop playing it. It's that engaging.

How do you start a New Game +. I just finished about an hour ago and I'm ready for more. I started a new game on a higher difficulty. I just met up with tess and grabbed my backpack, but none of my weapons from the previous game are available.

SpartanN92

Banned
The game has froze on me now 5 times -_-

Getting REALLY fed up with it. The game is great but the constant freezing is so immersion breaking.

Wow that was fucking fantastic, 13 hours to completion, but I always end up in the lower playtimes with games anyway. Can't wait to dive in on hard plus. And I've still got the multiplayer to try out. Man this is the best game of the year by far for me.

oldmario

anyone experience a weird glitch near the end in the last chapter?
when i was carrying ellie and got caught by the soliders i would see joel get beat down and shot but the background was just pure skybox i tried getting caught another couple times and the same thing happened

Elginer

Been playing some of the MP and holy crap talk about some sweet ass innovation. Connecting it to Facebook adds another layer that's really cool. Seriously, the PS4 with all of these social features is going to open up some awesome meta games.

Wait, you don't like that the AI flank you and make encounters more intense and that the AI basically act like how actual people would? That they confuse you by moving around a lot?

Would you prefer them to stay behind cover in front of you like many other games do?

The enemy AI is one of the best IMO.

And no, the friendly AI is the problem, from running in-front of enemies and clickers, talking loudly when you are trying to be sneaky and shooting when you are again being sneaky...

I'm not saying the AI is terrible. I'm saying it's the only thing in the game i found weak. Mainly the human enemies. The clickers and runners weren't that bad. I noticed TONS of times where a dude is just running back forth like it's glitched. The other complaint i noticed a few times. Lets say i'm on the third floor and kill the last guy with a gun. I'll put on listen mode and see a guy sprint from the outside all the way right to my face. Just found it odd.

You thought it was significantly different to Uncharted? Enemy AI has been one of my few bugbears with ND games this generation, and I recall getting sick of a few encounters in the Uncharted games when being spotted by one enemy meant all of them were alerted and knew exactly where you were. I actually found TLOU to be better in some respects at letting you shake pursuers.

It's something I really hope they work on next gen.

I remember UC being pretty good with that. But it's been awhile since i played them so maybe you're right.

I'm on hard too. Depends how many there are really - a group of 3, of course I'll stealth kill. But a horde of mixed types (PATROLLING STALKERS UGH), fuck no. Unless you consider the bow 'stealth killing'. But trying to ambush something with hypersensitive hearing (that wanders randomly) is so much more of a pain in the ass than just luring a bunch of them together with a bottle and then BAM MOLOTOV. Also, I rate shivs as more valuable than shotgun shells, the latter of which can kill multiples if you're lucky/careful.

Things tend to randomly drop ammo when gunned down so I often come out ahead. Can't say I agree 100% with this design decision but it's not like you're showered in stuff like RE4.

Yeah I'm having terrible luck with ammo drops from enemies, but when I do get them it's like small little gifts from god. It's much better than opening drawers and cupboards and finding them empty; that's almost soul crushing lol.

Jobbs

Banned
How's multiplayer in this? I haven't gotten into a multiplayer game in a while, but I must say the MP in this looks terrific to me. I ordered the game from Newegg's $45 ebay and will get the game mid-week.

thank you.

on another note; did anyone else tear up in the intro? man. there was something so real about that.

it's still engaging, mind you, but i guess it comes down to personal tastes... i've prefered the world of Jak and Uncharted much better.

Yea I am with you in being sick of post apocalyptic stuff, especially after just playing through Walking Dead. However I am loving the characters and the script and I am really anxious to see what's going to happen next. Lot of emotional resonance with Joel. Reminds me Sawyer from Lost.

Null

Neo Member
I beat this last night; I thought it was just amazing. Favorite part was
the whole Lakeside Resort chapter so intense
. I will say the shooting mechanics did take some getting used to they could have been a bit better, but still I just loved the story, characters and world so much it more than made up for it. Easily my favorite game this gen.

Cloudy

Banned
Yeah I'm having terrible luck with ammo drops from enemies, but when I do get them it's like small little gifts from god. It's much better than opening drawers and cupboards and finding them empty; that's almost soul crushing lol.

Yeah there are so many empty drawers in this game. Such trolling

@Krappadizzle

In Survivor, is ammo scarce as well? Or just crafting materials?

It's fucking scarce. No exageration. You can be shooting at 100% and it'll still never be enough. It's tense as hell.

Don't let that put you off from trying it though. If you beat it on hard, playing on Survivor won't feel too alien to you.

ThisOne

I haven't beaten the game yet but have yet to earn a single trophy. I've also read that the trophies may be glitched (perhaps as a result of the autosaving bug) and beating the game won't even give you the "Complete the Game on Hard Difficulty" or whatever. Can anyone that has completed the game verify which trophies you earned?

dorkimoe

Just tried multiplayer. i have no clue what I am doing. All I know is that they had grenades and tripmines and I had a peashooter.

Do i collect things? Do I kill people? what?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Any hints for the part I am at? I seem to get eviscerated rather quickly...

Hotel lobby in the dark, you turn the generator on and get swarmed, and there is a hunter leading the pack.

Just finished it. For the first few hours I kept wondering what the hype was all about. It was pretty good, but nothing amazing. Then eventually it clicked. Loved the hell out of it. Best in the old man/young girl games.

Top Bottom