• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Go_Ly_Dow

Any tips for where I am at as well? The bit just after the E3 demo

When in the sewer type area with just Joel after you fall down the lift and then the huge clicker and his minions appear after you pull the generator. Is it possible to leave the area or do you have to kill them? Any tips?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Never mind got it. Phew. Thanks.

Gave up on the door when it isn't open right away, takes a second to charge I guess.

I pre order the PS4 but I do not know if i should buy a console for 6 games.
If you never had a PS3, there's a huge library of incredible games

The Last of Us, of course
Heavy Rain/Beyond
Uncharted series
GoW3
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Demons' Souls/Dark Souls
Infamous series
MGS4
Dead Nation
Journey
Killzone series
LittleBigPlanet
Siren Blood Curse

In regards to TLOU, I'd like to preface the following impressions by stating that I'm generally harsher on Naughty Dog games than the average Playstation gamer. I think they're outstanding games from a technical and presentation POV, and while they are fun, i find them to be distinctly average in terms of gameplay mechanics. With that said, TLOU is typical Naughty Dog fare, it's sits comfortably atop of the heap where presentation aspects are concerned. While Bioshock Infinite remains perhaps my favorite game to gawk at, TLOU makes me gawk more than anything else.

It's absolutely saturated with a positively OCD level of world detail. While the backdrop is nothing new (post apocalyptic cityscapes), its never been rendered with this level of fidelity. It's easily the most convincing portrayal of a world flung into ruin that I've seen, and the sheer amount of unique locations and assets are staggering. From ruined cityscapes to beautiful forests to towering skyscrapers to dank subways, there's a LOT to see. The outstanding lighting and brilliant foliage absolutely pops as well, so it's not all next gen brown and grey. The world feels more seamless and larger than most game due to the lack of loading times and the game's slow traversal pace. I'm the type of person who likes to meander off the beaten path to take in the sights, so as of this writing, I am 9 hours and and the game reports me as having reached the 45% mark.

The characters are sharply written with very natural feeling dialogue and are very convincingly modeled. Most importantly though, they are brought to life with absolutely superb performance capture. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson in the roles of Joel and Ellie are perfectly cast. The itself game eschews all of the bombast of Uncharted and opts for a much more methodical pace. There are many moments where you are just traversing the cityscape/countryside and soaking in the atmosphere. These moments are in turn punctuated by pockets of terror and panic as you will come across infected and other human survivors hellbent on smashing your skull in.

Now the gameplay... this where things get interesting. As I've mentioned before, I approach ND games with an air of suspicion as they aren't class leading in this crucial aspect. The first several hours of this game had me rolling my eyes. The melee is a simple one button affair, chest high furniture abounds in the name of stealth, and the crafting system boiled down to collecting random doodads to make an assortment of items from shivs to molotovs to bandages. The AI isn't the best and is prone to moments of hilarious path finding errors as well as being completely oblivious to Joel and Ellie. The early segments are highly linear and enemies are relegated to wandering about, highly compartmentalized to their rooms. It all had me thinking Christ this game is fucking overrated.

A few hours later? A much different story. I'd HIGHLY recommend playing this game on hard. After the training wheels come off you're suddenly tossed into situations where you'll come across encampments and multi story buildings swarming with patrolling guards. There are many ways to approach these areas but suffice to say, between the howling, clicking infected and the jittery, unpredictable humans, if you aren't playing this game carefully, you will get your shit fucked up. The game is at its best when you suddenly blow your cover after silently ghosting a slew of enemies. All of a sudden a mob of enemies can rush rush you, causing you to exhaust precious resources to keep them at bay.

The game does a good job of applying pressure in these scenarios as bullets and weapons are hilariously scarce. In the nine hours I've played, I've come across a total of perhaps 100 bullets for all 4 of my guns, including a handgun, revolver, shotgun and hunting rifle. Joel's aim drifts, and he has to go thru his backpack to switch handguns until you acquire enough materials to fashion a holster for a second weapon. You actually DON'T want to shoot anyone as the noise draw attention anyhow. Considering that ill only ever have about 15 rounds for my handgun at any given time, the panic sets in when it can take as many as four rounds to bring down an enemy, and that's if you don't miss! Brawling similarly takes ages, and bashing enemies with weapons (pipes, planks or bricks) results in Joel being unarmed as his weapons break after a few good swings.

All of a sudden, all of the simplified gameplay strikes me as being carefully calculated to result in a streamlined experience. You are open to attack when Joel goes thru his backpack, crafts, heals, or switches weapons. It's about being reactionary to the inevitable chaos and you can't think too hard when you're cornered. In this sense, the game reminds me of Demon's Souls in that you can not storm in and lay waste, you've got to carefully assess your environment and remain cautious above all else to avoid a frustrating experience.

I'm only 45% in, but if the game can continue applying this level of pressure (or even elevate it) and keep growing Joel and Ellie as characters? It's looking to be among the most memorable rides of the generation.

When in the sewer type area with just Joel after you fall down the lift and then the huge clicker and his minions appear after you pull the generator. Is it possible to leave the area or do you have to kill them? Any tips?

You can skip it all.
You need to get to the door in the hallway with the arch of fungus lining it. There is a key card in the area so as long explored the area before starting the generator and picked it you can make a mad dash. If you don't then, I don't know lol

LuuKyK

This game is too good. I thought they would never outdo the Uncharted series scenario wise, but every new you place you go to is best looking than the other one.

That hall or something that has a piano and yellow curtains is amazing. I think its when your leaving the capitol house with Ellie after leaving Tess :( behind. The amount of details is jaw dropping.

Also,
as people already said that part where you are trying to make the generator work and runner and clickers come from nowhere is scary as hell. But then comes that big guy when you think you are done and you are like RUN FOR YOUR LIFE. I swear to God I didnt even know where I was going, I was running around like an idiot. lmao

This is early on but it still stood out to me. The first set of scenes when you are Joel with Tess... Not spoilers at all (literally the first like 5 minutes of play time as Joel)

There's the one part where you discover the infested guy underneath a closet/storage thing(?) with all the spores around asking for help, and Tess asks something like "What should we do" and nothing else is said.

I killed the guy without second thought.

I don't know if it was a subconscious thing, but it definitely made me think. The game definitely did a good job of showing how fucking awful this world is, in the first few minutes of the game...

I wonder who else put him out of his misery?

Astery

Just finished the game. I didn't like the gun play at the first few hours until I upgraded weapon sway and the stealth sometimes feels unreliable, but overall it's mainly a story experience for me, and TLOU pulled it off pretty well for a video game.

Just wondering if there is a true ending/ extra scenes when I finish NG+? Do enemies scale up in hp/ tactics/ numbers? Or is it suppose to be a relatively easy run with existing upgrades from my first play through?

This is early on but it still stood out to me. The first set of scenes when you are Joel with Tess... Not spoilers at all (literally the first like 5 minutes of play time as Joel)

There's the one part where you discover the infested guy underneath a closet/storage thing(?) with all the spores around asking for help, and Tess asks something like "What should we do" and nothing else is said.

I don't know if it was a subconscious thing, but it definitely made me think. The game definitely did a good job of showing how fucking awful this world is, in the first few minutes of the game...

i needed to save ammo.

Synless

What is the best sound setting to use for the pulse elite headset? Obviously 7.1, but what about the wide/narrow/midnight settings?

KdoubleA

Im a few hours into it...HOLY SHIT at the
upside down boobie trap segment, the Bloater and the ambush!

Also, you fucking gotta hand it to Naughty Dog man, the shit they're pulling out of the PS3, despite having a beefy PC and playing games Like Metro:LL at max, I'm still very impressed. And I love the acting; a step up from Uncharted. You can tell they're getting really good at this. Can't wait to see the shit they'll pull off with PS4.

Capcom, FFS, this is how you do a survivor horror. This is the Resident Evil we've been wanting to play.

Anyway, loving it so far, definitely living up to the hype!

mxgt

Banned

You can run for it, but I decided to kill them all. Was fucking difficult on hard mode with no listen.

So guys, Ellie vs Clementine vs Elizabeth. Who is the best companion?

Ellie > Clementine > Elizabeth

Ellie has the attitude which gives her the edge.

How do you start a New Game +. I just finished about an hour ago and I'm ready for more. I started a new game on a higher difficulty. I just met up with tess and grabbed my backpack, but none of my weapons from the previous game are available.

You have to select New Game Plus, which should be the top option on the main menu. You can only play this mode on the difficulty you've completed, therefore you can't beat the game on normal and then carry your stuff to higher difficulties.

StuBurns

Banned
So guys, Ellie vs Clementine vs Elizabeth. Who is the best companion?
Clem is the nicest, Liz is the most useful, Ellie is the most well rounded.

Funnily, Ellie gave me shotgun shells once, and that's it, it's really odd, because clearly she's programmed to give me stuff, but she never does.

I really don't think going hard mode + no listening adds much to the experience. Resource scarcity means close to nothing due to how forgiving the checkpoints are in this game to be honest.

That's a good reason why I have close to no tension while playing the game. Once I'm killed its like whatever, I literally spawn right back into the scenario from a minute ago for some trial and error.

Elizabeth's utility borders on ridiculous. It's like Irrational wanted to make the most useful companion ever and threw in everything + the kitchen sink. Clementine is cool but she's solely a character and doesn't make anything in the way of game play contribution. Ellie strikes the balance imo. She's a crazy little fucker

So I'm the sewers,
separated with Sam, in the big room with Clickers and Stalkers

4 sawn off
2 revolver
5 shotgun
1 arrow
4 rifle
1 smoke bomb
A brick
1 shiv
No medkits, little health

Suggestions?

smr00

Banned
So i am completely stuck on this
sniper mission where you are in the house and the hummer comes rolling in, the fuck am i supposed to do to that hummer? It wont let me back out of the scope and i shot like every fucking inch of it

RAWR! i need a smoke, this part has me frustrated and i have a feeling it's something dumb on my part.

StuBurns

Banned
So I'm the sewers,

4 sawn off
5 shotgun
1 arrow
4 rifle
1 smoke bomb
A brick
1 shiv

Suggestions?
Stay at the entrance bit by the metal door, and throw shit to get them to come over to you, don't go in there.
So i am completely stuck on this
sniper mission where you are in the house and the hummer comes rolling in, the fuck am i supposed to do to that hummer? It wont let me back out of the scope and i shot like every fucking inch of it

RAWR! i need a smoke, this part has me frustrated and i have a feeling it's something dumb on my part.
Shoot the dude who pops out the top.

Finally found a redbox with the game in it...gladly swiped my card and when the disc came out it was a color photocopy of the disc.

What a waste...

Teknoman

So does GAF have a clan? Or how does everyone meet up for multiplayer?

I'd like to know this too.

I tried to find a way to help him from under the debris...but couldnt so I just ended it.

What is the best sound setting to use for the pulse elite headset? Obviously 7.1, but what about the wide/narrow/midnight settings?

I've got a similar question for the original sony headset too. I've never really understood the difference between Naughty Dog's audio settings...even in Uncharted.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Just beat the game. 15 hours 48 minutes clocked.

What a motherfuckin' ride. GOD. DAMN.

NaughtyDog are the developers of the generation. UC2 and TloU are God-Tier once in a generation games.

Niel Druckman and Ben Starley are fucking brilliant game designers too. *bow*

LEGGZZZZ

Just had a nice comeback match in multiplayer with a bunch of randoms...jesus it was tense. I've go to say I'm pretty impressed, just need more maps & modes.

red731

So after 11 hours lost from first playthrough since the game haven't saved from very early in the begining, I have finaly finished it now. Drasticaly prolonging time because of the replaying and I don't ever care about that time.

This is something special and it was like the first time even on second "first" playthrough.

What a wonderful game that really punches you.

13h 38m - I skipped every skipable cutscene up to this place
hydro power plant
I don't know why it didn't save on the first time playing, but I am glad it didn't.

I am bowing down too, ND.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Funnily, Ellie gave me shotgun shells once, and that's it, it's really odd, because clearly she's programmed to give me stuff, but she never does.

My Ellie never gives me anything :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I was an hour in when I realized that ND has found a way to never have Trophy popups. Can't say I miss them, props for figuring this out.

Yeah, I also do most of my gaming on PC and it's far more impressive to me what ND achieved on this hardware than what others accomplish when I put a 1000 euro PC at their disposal.
Not just that but the animation and some of the lighting is impressive period, no matter what I'd compare it to. I play a lot of games on PC, and I can safely say that I enjoy much more looking at this game, than I ever did while playing new Tomb Raider - which I played in 1080p/60. The ambiance, atmosphere and animations are unmatched here. The world these characters inhabit, for some reason or another feels startlingly believable.

Grisby

So I'm the sewers,

4 sawn off
2 revolver
5 shotgun
1 arrow
4 rifle
1 smoke bomb
A brick
1 shiv

Suggestions?
I punched a lot of dudes to death in that area. Try to get them near a wall when you start for an instant kill.

That rule kind of goes for all areas actually.

doomquake

Just started playing, haven't met Ellie. Feels pretty good, glad the listen mode and etc can be turned off..but the graphics...

Are the cutscenes all prerendered? I guess the compression and quality of the video is too good for me to be sure

Anyone else irritated by the skin tones being different between cut scene and game? Orange skin...no bueno. The flash light also doesn't always work in the darkness if the renderer i isn't set up to allow that in a section of as game. Anyway, stupid whining...let's enjoy the last of ps3

Just started playing, haven't met Ellie. Feels pretty good, glad the listen mode and etc can be turned off..but the graphics...

Are the cutscenes all prerendered? I guess the compression and quality of the video is too good for me to be sure

Anyone else irritated by the skin tones being different between cut scene and game? Orange skin...no bueno. The flash light also doesn't always work in the darkness if the renderer i isn't set up to allow that in a section of as game. Anyway, stupid whining...let's enjoy the last of ps3
Hmm, maybe your TV settings are off or the color settings in the game are off. I'd give it a look.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just have to give a vote of confidence for downloadable version of the game. No sound emanating from the console while playing is nice, but even better, the initial load time that people complained from the disc version are really very short with download version.

Those best looking ones are. Rendered frame by frame in engine and saved into a video. A lot of the cutscenes this time around are fully realtime though, and those look much better than the equivalent from Uncharted games.

You can see which scenes are prerendered if you go to cutscene viewer.

Finally found a redbox with the game in it...gladly swiped my card and when the disc came out it was a color photocopy of the disc.

What a waste...

I don't understand why people would do this. They have you CC information! What makes them think they can get away with it? So stupid.

CrazyDude

She always gave me health pack all the time. What difficulty level did you play it one? I am playing on normal as always gives me health packs. Could be she does it less on harder difficulties.

I also have had my ps3 on for the last two days, I know it won't save if I turn it off since when I am in pause menu I don't have any option to save and restart checkpoint.

red731

By the way, doesn't this game put new Lara Crofts injury into perspective, eh?
Finaly.
Plowing through gallery stuff I've bougjht and going to jump in Fractions!

She always gave me health pack all the time. What difficulty level did you play it one? I am playing on normal as always gives me health packs. Could be she does it less on harder difficulties.

She gave me ammo just once, when I was upside down. Never any health or anything else - that said, I was in every corner in this world and had abdundance of materials I was leaving behind.

Maybe she gives stuff depending on how you need it or how "good" or "bad" you are doing. I've played on normal too.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So anyone else notice that the game will save a checkpoint, but you have the same ammo as when you died?

Top Bottom