• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Oh, that first screen reminds me of a location maybe a third of the way through. It'll get a lot more tense as you go.

About listening mode, is anyone here using it? Are they finding it useful at all?

Its super useful. Even non upgraded.
Unless you don't use stealth and just want to be in combat all the time

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Who else played with Listen mode/button prompts off on their first playthrough? After playing this game on Normal.. those features seem so god damn unnecessary.

Players are so god damn coddled these days.

Tiamant

Finished it, what an amazing ride. Despite the slow start and being frustrated by the gameplay at the begining (my fault, I'm way too impatient) the game ended being a blast in every aspect, kudos to ND for beating every developer creating such tense moments and scary atmospheres.

When the credits started rolling I felt sad, not because of the ending (which I found powerful) but because now it'll be a long wait until I play another game like this.

I guess the next stop is Beyond.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
For anyone who got the digital version... can i resume the download after turning off the console?

7 hours 23 minutes
1.27% so far

I think I just spoilered the ending for myself out of habit. -_-;

Damn it. Damn it Damn it.

Was the ending referenced in regards to
bloaters?

test_account

XP-39C²
Man, getting disconnected in multiplayer gives a hard punish (i think) :/ I was playing earlier and i had maybe like 8 hungry people ans 2 sick people. Then i played a round and was doing pretty well, but my modem decided to fuck up, so i got disconnected. When i started the next round, i had like 28 hungry people and 8 sick people (i dont remember the exact number, but i was surprised over how high they were compared to before i got disconnected). Thats crazy :(

Does anyone know how the stat tracking works? Do you get the cans of food/supply that you've earned in real time, or do you lose all of that if you get disconnected? Kinda sucks that you get punished that much when you get disconnected for legit reasons. I understand that there would be some punishment for quitting to prevent rage quitters, but still.

Otherwise i'm enjoying the multiplayer. I like the idea that the better you do in the game, the more reward you kinda get. This has its ups and down though. Its sweet when i play nice, but it can be pretty annoying if i start to play bad :)

I can't play this game on any LCD screen(unless is an IPS panel), it just hurts. I can only play this on a plasma. The blacks on this game needs justice.

Me too, except I didn't even use any shivs.

Eh, I disagree. The way it was implemented could have been better, though. I didn't play the game with headphones and most people are not. (I assume you are/did.) Wish I had.

Feels like a crutch to me, but at least they don't force you to use it. And nah, I picked up a set of speakers before the game came out. Would be interesting to play it with a pair of phones though. Might try that sometime

I've had one since 2009.

Oh wait, I must be mixing up your lack of a PC rig with the lack of a PS3. You planning to play multiplayer?

CrazyDude

Who else played with Listen mode/button prompts off on their first playthrough? After playing this game on Normal.. those features seem so god damn unnecessary.

I tried to use it once out of frustration, but have no idea how to use it. Probably for the better.

KingK

I'm a little over 8 hours in, 44% complete. Hard, listen mode off. I just
got separated from Ellie in the elevator shaft in the hotel
and holy shit, this game is seriously GOTG material. For the first few hours, I just thought it was a good, even great game. But it has kicked it into full gear now and is not letting up. This is reminding me of how good the first two acts of MGS4 were, only without the bloat and much more consistent. And I'm to believe it keeps getting better?

The combat is the best/most tense I've ever played. Holy shit. The last couple enemy encounters I had against
the Hunters in Pittsburgh
have been fucking fantastic. Masterful level design on display here. Such huge areas with so many different approaches.

Ellie also saved my ass three times in the last encounter, once by warning me of an enemy to my left just in time for me to sneak back behind cover and not be noticed, once by warning me of an enemy behind me just in time for me to turn around and blast him in the face before he killed me, and once by putting her knife in the back of a dude who was hitting me with melee.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I turned everything off the first time I started the game and I still get the little L3 hint popping up if I hang around in an area too long searching for items. I refuse to use it!

StuBurns

Banned
Its super useful. Even non upgraded.
Unless you don't use stealth and just want to be in combat all the time
I've been trying to imagine how it works, and I really can't. I'll try it soon I imagine, but the design doesn't feel like it'd be useful. Do you find the game creepy still? I'd imagine that would be negated with that mode in place.

panty

I turned everything off the first time I started the game and I still get the little L3 hint popping up if I hang around in an area too long searching for items. I refuse to use it!

I didn't even consider the L3 prompts as hints. They just showed you different locations somewhere far?

balohna

I didn't read this whole thread to avoid reducing the "fresh" factor going through the game (like to know very little, if anything, in terms of story/setting/characters, hell even new gameplay). I'm like 5 or 6 hours in maybe. But I have to say, the "Hey asshole!" moment from the E3 demo last year was so legit. I doubted it would be in-game that timely and that cool looking, but it is. She does that shit pretty often, and it's cool every time. There were moments earlier in the game too where other characters would kill an enemy just as it was about to do some serious damage to me. Good stuff.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I didn't read this whole thread to avoid reducing the "fresh" factor going through the game (like to know very little, if anything, in terms of story/setting/characters, hell even new gameplay). I'm like 5 or 6 hours in maybe. But I have to say, the "Hey asshole!" moment from the E3 demo last year was so legit. I doubted it would be in-game that timely and that cool looking, but it is. She does that shit pretty often, and it's cool every time. There were moments earlier in the game too where other characters would kill an enemy just as it was about to do some serious damage to me. Good stuff.

She is an amazing AI counterpart. Her switchblade is incredible, and she actually takes care of enemies very often.

BeeDog

Oh, then roughly halfway through. So you can probably double the hours it's taken you thus far and you'll have a rough estimate of the remaining time.

Thanks! Definitely a long game then, very appreciated, mainly because my playthroughs never seem to be quite as long as other people describe them as.

I recorded the first hour of my reactions if anyone wants to see it. Be warned its recorded with a camera and is just bad quality but I like doing this for fun. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTCIr6KU5ro

The next part of each part is in the description.

Anywayz: I'm 89% through. Damn, I never thought I would be this into the game. It is just amazing from start to now. I can't wait to see how it all ends. Gonna finish this thing tonight.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It seems as more time passes that negative reaction has disappeared for the most part. The mechanics take a bit to grasp and learn effectively, but they work so great when they do. Learning how to effectively use cover or the bricks/bottles. All the items you craft are incredibly useful in all different ways too. Really so much depth to this game, and can be played multiple different ways.

Mush

I'm getting some fucked up spawns in THIS BE A SPOILER RIGHT HERE FOLKS
David's town playing as Joel. I keep dying and I'm checkpointed right outside the container you have to go through with 2 guy with rifles on top, and they're still there even after the checkpoint.

Might see if I can try and reload my game.

StuBurns

Banned
Speaking of it's length, have ND talked about the budget? The first two UC2's were twenty two million a piece I believe, this was clearly more, but do we know anything specific?

~Kinggi~

Banned
So why did one of my guns just disappear on me? I had upgrades on that shit....I even had to restart the game cause the missing slot was bugging out and couldnt access my pistol. Wtf. The save system in this is bizarre.

Xeno_V

What do most people think about upgrading skills? Is the shiv upgrade where you can defend yourself against a clicker worth it? I am around 70% already and so far I haven't faced any serious issues combat-wise. What's worth upgrading first, maybe max health?

Lyonaz

Just finished the game, played it on Hard and took me around 18 hours. Also got only like 8% of the trophies, I lol'ed.

This game is amazing, the feels, definitely my GOTY.

I'm playing with it on, but I really regret it anyways. It's borderline useless unless the person is moving or doing something. I can't even say how many times I used hearing in front of me and saw no one. Then when I go right at that spot there's a guy right there. I've died many times because I thought an area was clear when it wasn't so I'll probably not play with it on hard new game+

I think I'm almost finished with the game since I'm
playing as Elie right now.

DukeBobby

I just started
Fall
, but once you finish
Winter
, about how much is left? I've never wanted so badly for game not to end

1-2 hours, maybe? With the speed I'm going at (18 hours so far - I tend to run around the same area 7-8 times), it will probably take me a lot longer.

StuBurns

Banned
What do most people think about upgrading skills? Is the shiv upgrade where you can defend yourself against a clicker worth it? I am around 70% already and so far I haven't faced any serious issues combat-wise. What's worth upgrading first, maybe max health?
Shiv upgrade is great, the one hit kills are cheap as fuck, and it negates them.

This multiplayer is not tacked on bullshit, at all.

After a few rounds I'm starting to get the hang of it, playing the Survivor mode, or whatever. Counter-Strike style. This shit is good.

I'm not even gonna touch the no respawn mode. The mechanics aren't strong enough for that IMO. No sticky cover which means you constantly have to adjust your aiming angle, but they placed it on R2 instead of clicking a stick like Uncharted which was much more intuitive, players swing from randomly spongy to down in a few shots, the game is extremely radar heavy which, in addition to listen mode, kills a lot of rushed flanking opportunities, etc., etc.

It's a solid multiplayer mode, and the gun sounds + executions keep it feeling really intense, but it's not perfect. And I still say they missed a huge opportunity not having Infected AI roam the map, even if it was only at scripted times during a match.

KingK

I got the steady aim and Shiv upgrades first, then the health. The aiming upgrade is definitely worth it, and the shiv has saved me against clickers on multiple occasions, so I would definitely recommend those two first.

1-2 hours, maybe? With the speed I'm going at (18 hours so far - I tend to run around the same area 7-8 times), it will probably take me a lot longer.
18 hours? What area/percentage you up to? I'm at 63% after 9 hours 45 minutes. Which is weird, cause it doesn't feel like I'm rushing and I'm playing on Hard.

Top Bottom