• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Funnily, Ellie gave me shotgun shells once, and that's it, it's really odd, because clearly she's programmed to give me stuff, but she never does.

I think her generosity is based on how long you go without said item. I went fir awhile without any health packs or equipment to make them then after entering a room she said 'Here you look like you need this' and handed me some health.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hotel.
Holy shit. Honestly, the game hadn't really scared me at all up til this point, but man this is a terrifyingly crafted encounter. You don't realize how comforting it has been to have another companion around to make wisecracks with the whole game until you feel what being alone is like. Tried two very tense, frantic attempts against the bloater ending in brutal death. Gonna have to break here for now. I take it this bloater is not optional, right? He has the keycard or something?

Sullichin

Hotel.
Holy shit. Honestly, the game hadn't really scared me at all up til this point, but man this is a terrifyingly crafted encounter. You don't realize how comforting it has been to have another companion around to make wisecracks with the whole game until you feel what being alone is like. Tried two very tense, frantic attempts against the bloater ending in brutal death. Gonna have to break here for now. I take it this bloater is not optional, right? He has the keycard or something?

Optional, I ran away from the clickers/bloater that showed up after activating the generator. I already had the keycard at this point.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I have $59.30 PSN funds.... so close >_<

Septimius

This game is really incredible with headphones. Can someone explain the differences between the different dynamic range settings in layman's terms? I have stereo monitor-quality headphones. I can't articulate the differences between the different dynamic range settings. To me, it just sounds like there's more reverb/sounds are further away when it's on maximum

I turned listen mode off right away. It doesn't make any sense to me why Joel would have that ability.

Which headphones?

The dynamic range is really setting the amount of compression. In layman terms, the closer you get to 'midnight', the more equal all sounds are. A whisper will be about the same loudness as a gunshot. On "maximum", it's not compressed at all, which means a whisper will be very more quiet than a gun-shot.

I'm going with 'wide', which is also the same as "default" with stereo-headphones. Default gives different values for different setups. It's "normal" for surround, and lower with stereo speakers.

If you're playing with headphones, keep the 'center speaker' setting (which shouldn't be there with headphones) to small.

Inversive

Hotel.

The keycard is in another room, I ran away from the bloater and clickers as my courage shattered and i scrambled for the exit

Gorillaz

Has anyone watched the quicklook up on Giantbomb? Does it spoil anything significant? Environments and gameplay segments aren't a big deal to me but I only ask because I've clocked in zero hours. If they do spoil some stuff, approximately how far in should I be before I give the quicklook a watch?
Naw just 2 sections. The demo from god of war and the earky part of pittsburgh. Story wise nothing.

Yerolo

Have you beaten it yet?

No, not yet.....Im pretty close to the end though, up to the
Firefly lab. I think I've played enough of it to say its not the best game of all time though :) Thats ok though, everyone is entitled to their opinion

gdt

Playing on hard is really satisfying. I'm kind of stuck though...

In the basement of that building:

I turn on the generator, and run across the hallway to climb the metal stairs. Kill a few clickers...but then I need a keycard to get through the door. And I can't really kill the bloater...

Please tell me he doesn't have the card...

Also did I miss the stash
with the red X at this point? :(

DoomGyver

Am I missing something or is there no screen adjustment? When I play multiplayer on my 1080p monitor there is a pixel wide white line on the far right.

also, starting a new game do my collectables transfer over or do I have to find them all again? Because I created a new save for survivor and it's showing 0 collectables.

Sullichin

Which headphones?

The dynamic range is really setting the amount of compression. In layman terms, the closer you get to 'midnight', the more equal all sounds are. A whisper will be about the same loudness as a gunshot. On "maximum", it's not compressed at all, which means a whisper will be very more quiet than a gun-shot.

I'm going with 'wide', which is also the same as "default" with stereo-headphones. Default gives different values for different setups. It's "normal" for surround, and lower with stereo speakers.

If you're playing with headphones, keep the 'center speaker' setting (which shouldn't be there with headphones) to small.

Thanks, that makes sense. I actually had a harder time discerning where sounds were coming from when it was on maximum. I have these headphones: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7C8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Nothing crazy but they sound great.

sn00zer

This game is really incredible with headphones. Can someone explain the differences between the different dynamic range settings in layman's terms? I have stereo monitor-quality headphones. I can't articulate the differences between the different dynamic range settings. To me, it just sounds like there's more reverb/sounds are further away when it's on maximum

I turned listen mode off right away. It doesn't make any sense to me why Joel would have that ability.

It makes sense entirely because normal people have the ability to tell where things are in their environment without needing to see them... you cant do this in a videogame, because you are watching a videogame about 8ft away from a tv, you cant comprehend where things are audio wise because your audio center is not the same as the character's.... unless you are in that environment ala Occulus Rift

Carl

Playing on hard is really satisfying. I'm kind of stuck though...

In the basement of that building:

I turn on the generator, and run across the hallway to climb the metal stairs. Kill a few clickers...but then I need a keycard to get through the door. And I can't really kill the bloater...

Please tell me he doesn't have the card...

Also did I miss the stash
with the red X at this point? :(

The keycard is in an upstairs room. Just grab it and run. Ignore the bloater

And yes, the stash was before you enter the hotel

Sullichin

It makes sense entirely because normal people have the ability to tell where things are in their environment without needing to see them... you cant do this in a videogame, because you are watching a videogame about 8ft away from a tv, you cant comprehend where things are audio wise because your audio center is not the same as the character's.... unless you are in that environment ala Occulus Rift

Good point. But I find it more exciting to actually have to listen and be more cautious when sneaking around.

i'm pissed off with the mp. The awful hosts that destroy everyone's connection really fuck up your clan. I went from everyone 59 fine 6 hungry to 10 fine, 30 hungry and the rest sick because the multiplayer match froze right at the start.

Fix this shit guerrilla.

Blinck

Hotel.

I'm gonna answer your questions:
He is optional. He doesn't have the keycard

Edit: Ah too late :p

Legatus

Neo Member
Did anyone feel like the ending
was far more heart breaking than if either one of them had simply died? Joel's decision to save Ellie felt so selfish and like such a betrayal of Ellie.

Seems like the hotel basement/generator/
keycard/bloater
part is showing up on every page of this thread! Here's the solution, for those stuck:

The generator is a bit of a trap, first try you'lll most likely prematurely activate it without the keycard, and draw all the infected/bloater out which is where you'll die horribly. Instead, have a poke around upstairs. I won't give you the exact location, but you'll find the keycard waiting in a room. Then go to the corridor with fungus all around it, down the end is a door for the keycard - but the power's out. Go, back down to the generator (make sure you memorise the route back to the door), activate generator and fucking run for the door. When I did this, I was so shit scared and paranoid about the horde I laid all three of my nail bombs down on the route back, but the infected didn't even set them off. :)

So, because I'm terrible, after a couple tries I managed to stealth my way through the 2 story building with
hunters
wandering around, and then down the stairs outside. While looking around two of them came down and are overlooking the area I seemingly need to get across. I suppose my only option is to sprint but I don't even know where I'm going.

Bricks are a lot more useful than I thought. Don't even need to sneak up behind someone if you can get away with throwing a brick at them.

Setre

Played about an hour of the multiplayer and it's pretty damn fun. I wonder if they'll add the infected as a playable class at some point.

Carl

My strategy against bloaters:
Molotov+Nail bomb. Couldn't believe how easily they die.

That's how i dealt with the one you fight (late game spoilers)
as Ellie. I had shit all other ammo so i just lobbed a nail bomb and a molotov and was so thankful he went down. It was all i had left!

StuBurns

Banned
Its great. The combat is very tense sometimes. Playing on Hard with Listening mode off.

I have yet to meet Ellie so am still very early.
Oh, that first screen reminds me of a location maybe a third of the way through. It'll get a lot more tense as you go.

About listening mode, is anyone here using it? Are they finding it useful at all?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Can somebody briefly describe supply raid online? Have only played survivor and can't get to the game right now. Does it play like CTF or king of the hill?

Bladenic

My strategy against bloaters:
Molotov+Nail bomb. Couldn't believe how easily they die.

Haha yep. Well
the first was probably harder due to its status as a boss/first encounter. Second one I ran from. The third, the one at the campus in the spore area, went down with one Molotov and a nail explosion. I shot him once with the diablo but idk if it was necessary. I was actually surprised he died because I ran and kept waiting for it, tense as hell. Then I walk slowly back to where it was and it was already dead

antitrop

This multiplayer is not tacked on bullshit, at all.

After a few rounds I'm starting to get the hang of it, playing the Survivor mode, or whatever. Counter-Strike style. This shit is good.

Kyaw

Holy shit, there is one specific moment that just made my jaw drop in terms of attention to detail.

When Sam couldn't keep the robot toy in from that toy shop, Ellie picks it up when Joel turns his back to her.

This game...

Blinck

Oh, that first screen reminds me of a location maybe a third of the way through. It'll get a lot more tense as you go.

About listening mode, is anyone here using it? Are they finding it useful at all?

I used it a just a bit, but not much as I really don't like these sorts of mechanics.

It can be useful when you lose track of the enemies, but it's very far from necessary, thankfully.

hort

Neo Member
Is this game hard to find at retail? My Walmart only got 8 copies...that sold out before noon on Friday, and I've heard other places around town are sold out as well.

Wondering if it was under shipped and if that will hurt sales figures.

Blinck

Holy shit, there is one specific moment that just made my jaw drop in terms of attention to detail.

When Sam couldn't keep the robot toy in from that toy shop, Ellie picks it up when Joel turns his back to her.

This game...

That was great

I saw her looking at the toy but wasn't picking it up, after i turned around and she started following me again I went back and the toy was gone.

Great little detail !

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The melee executions in this game are on some Manhunt shit. I love it.

Then again, when you think about it, TLoU is pretty much the perfect child of Manhunt, RE4, and Uncharted 2.

Top Bottom