• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

T.O.P

Banned
6 hours in, amazing and all of that

but holy shit

*stealth mode on*

passes 10 minutes trying to go unnoticed by all the things trying to kill me

AI passes by

*TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP*

scared the fuck out of me WTF

*hits a monster while tries to find cover and nothing happens*

please stahp

You are on track for more than 18hrs if you are only that far. The later parts are longer
Awesome. I was worried I was rushing when I read that people are 10 hours in and only like at 50%

I checked my posts here to see what my progress was like
43% - 5 hours+
50% - 7 hours+
63% - 9 hours 45 minutes

Right now (at 63%) I'm in
Fall, just had the conversation with Tommy and the dam gets attacked

thank you, but I need something different to sell me on it. how is consequence implemented into the survival horror theme? in what way are game play mechanics supporting the narrative?

For one, being that its kind of a post apocolyptic setting, in terms of gameplay supporting the narrative there are scarce supplies. Its not an all out, unlimited ammo, bro fest.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
thank you, but I need something different to sell me on it. how is consequence implemented into the survival horror theme? in what way are game play mechanics supporting the narrative?

There are no choices to be made. Thus, no consequences.
Resources are scarce, so you have to actually be smart and not shoot everything. Still too much shooting, IMO but the narrative is supported more than most in gameplay. You find parts that you have to combine to make health kits, but those same parts also make a powerful weapon. If you don't balance your finds, you could find yourself low on parts.

But, to be honest, if you need that much, it seems like you're looking more for reasons to NOT buy it. Which is fine. It'll go on sale, like all of NDs games. You can probably wait.

RDreamer

Man, you get into some crazy situations in this game. I was able to grab a guy, take him hostage and then shoot at another guy with a gun twice, then ran out of bullets. Didn't quite kill him, but that guy killed the dude I was holding, so I was left vulnerable. It was such an "oh shit" moment, but I was able to quickly hit him with a pipe after tossing the dude to the side.

For one, being that its kind of a post apocolyptic setting, in terms of gameplay supporting the narrative there are scarce supplies. Its not an all out, unlimited ammo, bro fest.

alright, good start. could you please elaborate on things like this. those are the kind of things I want to see. how is the girl handled as a AI character? Any surprises with dialogue systems/ dynamic dialogue?

pax217

My PS3 isn't recognizing the disc for Last of Us... reads/plays all my other PS3 games fine.

I've already gone and exchanged it for a new one, but to no avail.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Do i lost the download progress if i quit the Downloader?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
You are on track for more than 18hrs if you are only that far. The later parts are longer

Jebus, if he is on track for 18hrs then my 49%@11:30 should set me up for low to mid 20s!

For the record I am not dying much, I just crouch everywhere, even after stealthing the enemies/infected. Been trying.to thoroughly search areas which is paying off. Might have missed a few COG tags though.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Here's a potentially game breaking bug I encountered,

( Don't read if you haven't reached the hotel basement segment )

This took place during the hotel basement segment, the part where you have to turn on the generator that powers the magnetically locked security door. After dying on my first attempt to start the generator, I decided to go up stairs and seek out the luminous runner that attacked me on my first attempt to start the generator. You know, the one that attacks before you even get the generator running. I found him, or so I thought, killed him and found a security key that would eventually open the locked door. Naturally the game auto-saved, and I went downstairs to start the generator again. This time, it started and a bloater with a few runners appeared.

Now, I had been playing the game up to this point hoarding like a mad man ( never bandaging up etc... ), so I had died the first time trying to start the generator because I had so little life. So to my chagrin, I begrudgingly parted ways with a Molotov. Backing up to the higher vantage of the first floor via the ramp created by the collapsed ceiling, I unloaded into the bloater and his cohorts only to be killed by a previously unseen runner patrolling the first floor. When the save game loaded, upon dying, I realized I had started at the beginning of the segment ( when all the rats run down the basement hall ) only this time I had the security key and one less molotov cocktail. I decided to go start the generator, again without healing because hey I have the key and one less cocktail, the bloater is probably dead. Nope, even worse, upon trying to start the generator I was nearly instantly bitten by a runner, no time to even cancel the "starting the generator" animation. I tried this a few times every time being bit by a runner before I could even stop starting the generator ( I looked all around for him too, basement and 1st floor ).

So I begrudgingly healed and decided I'll take my licks from him and move on. Nope, I killed one runner, went to start the generator, another one came before I could stop the animation. Frustrated as hell I left a bomb behind me to stop them. Finally I started the generator, turned around fought the bloater again and died. So to sum up to this point: I had died trying to start the generator, fighting the bloater gang, starting the generator, restarted due to an endless stream of runners, and died again on the bloater gang. Well the final F'n insult, was having never really reached a good save point, upon loading after the bloater's had killed me, I had one less health pack, one less bomb, fewer bullets, and almost no life. I manually saved, just so I wouldn't lose any more hard earned supplies and proceeded to do the following after much trial and error.

As soon as I tried to start the generator, I stopped, tossed a moltov cocktail at the wall and spun around to kill a runner that seemed to kill me no matter how much life I had with a bite animation. Bombs wouldn't work, because if I didn't see him die, another would come. The third time I fought the bloater and his friends, I did not die.
Rage... but I still love this game

Tobinishi

OMG almost had a heartattack :(

It's 2AM here and i was playing Last of Us where
you're in the basement of the hotel. You can see absolutely nothing, only the sound of the infected
. Suddenly power blackout and i was sitting alone in my fucking dark flat. Almost shit myself -.-.

At least i could use my Last of Us flashlight ;). But was without power for almost one hour. In summary, it scared the shit out of me, probably lost 2 hours of my playthrough and i need a beer to calm down ;)

Man, you get into some crazy situations in this game. I was able to grab a guy, take him hostage and then shoot at another guy with a gun twice, then ran out of bullets. Didn't quite kill him, but that guy killed the dude I was holding, so I was left vulnerable. It was such an "oh shit" moment, but I was able to quickly hit him with a pipe after tossing the dude to the side.
Nothing feels more brutally badass than taking a hostage, shooting his buddy in the head as he hesitates, then blowing your captive's head off.

The headshots in this game, especially with the shotgun, are the most satisfying I've ever experienced. Not only is the head just obliterated, but the blood mist effect and the blood splatter is unreal.

And I love how you can take a shield and threaten the others with an empty gun. It's really useful once you get the pistol holster and can switch to your other gun while still holding your shield

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
What difference would either of those make?

A quick Google search indicates that my PS3 has trouble reading dual-layer Blurays? Does this sound familiar to anyone?

When I was playing the demo for this, I had to sign into PSN in order for it to work.
For the second idea, I just thought that maybe if your hard drive is nearly full you might get issues. I remember reading the game constantly puts temporary data unto the hard drive.

My first PS3 also gave me problems with reading Blu-Rays. It soon stopped reading all Blu-ray discs altogether though, so I don't think it was just a dual layer issue for me.

edit: alternatively, you could get a refund and buy the digital version on PSN.

There are no choices to be made. Thus, no consequences.
Resources are scarce, so you have to actually be smart and not shoot everything. Still too much shooting, IMO but the narrative is supported more than most in gameplay. You find parts that you have to combine to make health kits, but those same parts also make a powerful weapon. If you don't balance your finds, you could find yourself low on parts.

But, to be honest, if you need that much, it seems like you're looking more for reasons to NOT buy it. Which is fine. It'll go on sale, like all of NDs games. You can probably wait.

as I said, I'm interested in the game and I respect ND for their previous work, but I want games to be progressive and inventive.
How is death handled in the game and how is the story told through gameplay? I'm not especially interested in the next iteration of the "gameplay/cutscene/gameplay/cutscene - formula".

as I said, I'm interested in the game and I respect ND for their previous work, but I want games to be progressive and inventive.
How is death handled in the game and how is the story told through gameplay? I'm not especially interested in the next iteration of the "gameplay/cutscene/gameplay/cutscene - formula".

Stay away from this game.

aravuus

What does it mean when the OP says "PSN Download Size - 26 GB (Can be played from 12 gb onwards)"

I'm on a 60gb hdd so I'd have to pretty much completely empty it if I wanted to install the game in it's whole beauty, does this mean there may be a possible different approach? Like install first 12gb first, delete the data, download rest and install or something?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I feel like the gameplay goes hand and hand with the storytelling. Sure there is a good amount of actiony bits, but the whole Idea of a cross country journey was told through cut-scene but more so through gameplay. It's what made the game feel like an "epic"

Codeblew

This took place during the hotel basement segment, the part where you have to turn on the generator that powers the magnetically locked security door. After dying on my first attempt to start the generator, I decided to go up stairs and seek out the luminous runner that attacked me on my first attempt to start the generator. You know, the one that attacks before you even get the generator running. I found him, or so I thought, killed him and found a security key that would eventually open the locked door. Naturally the game auto-saved, and I went downstairs to start the generator again. This time, it started and a bloater with a few runners appeared. Now, I had been playing the game up to this point hoarding like a mad man ( never bandaging up etc... ), so I had died the first time trying to start the generator because I had so little life. So to my chagrin, I begrudgingly parted ways with a Molotov. Backing up to the higher vantage of the first floor via the ramp created by the collapsed ceiling, I unloaded into the bloater and his cohorts only to be killed by a previously unseen runner patrolling the first floor. When the save game loaded, upon dying, I realized I had started at the beginning of the segment ( when all the rats run down the basement hall ) only this time I had the security key and one less molotov cocktail. I decided to go start the generator, again without healing because hey I have the key and one less cocktail, the bloater is probably dead. Nope, even worse, upon trying to start the generator I was nearly instantly bitten by a runner, no time to even cancel the "starting the generator" animation. I tried this a few times every time being bit by a runner before I could even stop starting the generator ( I looked all around for him too, basement and 1st floor ). So I begrudgingly healed and decided I'll take my licks from him and move on. Nope, I killed one runner, went to start the generator, another one came before I could stop the animation. Frustrated as hell I left a bomb behind me to stop them. Finally I started the generator, turned around fought the bloater again and died. So to sum up to this point: I had died trying to start the generator, fighting the bloater gang, starting the generator, restarted due to an endless stream of runners, and died again on the bloater gang. Well the final F'n insult, was having never really reached a good save point, upon loading after the bloater's had killed me, I had one less health pack, one less bomb, fewer bullets, and almost no life. I manually saved, just so I wouldn't lose any more hard earned supplies and proceeded to do the following after much trial and error. As soon as I tried to start the generator, I stopped, tossed a moltov cocktail at the wall and spun around to kill a runner that seemed to kill me no matter how much life I had with a bite animation. Bombs wouldn't work, because if I didn't see him die, another would come. The third time I fought the bloater and his friends, I did not die.

You don't have to fight the bloater. Just run to the exit.

McBryBry

I'm in love with this game. One thing that keeps standing out to me is the enemy AI. I was fighting some hunters, had one as a shield. The other 2 were staring at me, and I shot one down. When I went to shoot the other, I hear *click* and "He's out of ammo!" He unloaded on his buddy, and me. Despite me dying, I thought it was really awesome lol.

Marleyman

Banned
Coming from playing State of Decay I had high hopes but knew it wouldn't be just like that game. I am fine with that, however the fear I feel when playing State of Decay is certainly dialed down considerably. That hasn't really taken away that much for me,
I am at the part when you start to walk with Bill.
, but it is in the back of my mind when playing it so far.

I am loving this game so far though; great animations, fucking Clickers are intense, and the story behind everything is awesome so far.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

You're not really vocalizing what you're looking for very well. If you can explain exactly what you mean by "how is death handled" (a game over screen, in case that helps?) and what you'd consider a good use of story told through gameplay. This game does have cutscenes. It's not open world or a choice laden game, so the story you may get would be the same I would.

But yes, like every story driven game since...well, probably since text only games died out in popularity, this game does go from gameplay to cutscenes and back.

I feel like the gameplay goes hand and hand with the storytelling. Sure there is a good amount of actiony bits, but the whole Idea of a cross country journey was told through cut-scene but more so through gameplay. It's what made the game feel like an "epic"

thank you sounds good, but could you be more specific on "how the gameplay goes hand and hand with storytelling". how does the gameplay go hand in hand with the story?

StuBurns

Banned
What does it mean when the OP says "PSN Download Size - 26 GB (Can be played from 12 gb onwards)"

I'm on a 60gb hdd so I'd have to pretty much completely empty it if I wanted to install the game in it's whole beauty, does this mean there may be a possible different approach? Like install first 12gb first, delete the data, download rest and install or something?
The game doesn't work like a normal PS3 game, you don't need double the space, you only need the exact size of the game, and it's playable from roughly half way downloaded, but you'll still need the full 26GB.

Yerolo

This took place during the hotel basement segment, the part where you have to turn on the generator that powers the magnetically locked security door. After dying on my first attempt to start the generator, I decided to go up stairs and seek out the luminous runner that attacked me on my first attempt to start the generator. You know, the one that attacks before you even get the generator running. I found him, or so I thought, killed him and found a security key that would eventually open the locked door. Naturally the game auto-saved, and I went downstairs to start the generator again. This time, it started and a bloater with a few runners appeared. Now, I had been playing the game up to this point hoarding like a mad man ( never bandaging up etc... ), so I had died the first time trying to start the generator because I had so little life. So to my chagrin, I begrudgingly parted ways with a Molotov. Backing up to the higher vantage of the first floor via the ramp created by the collapsed ceiling, I unloaded into the bloater and his cohorts only to be killed by a previously unseen runner patrolling the first floor. When the save game loaded, upon dying, I realized I had started at the beginning of the segment ( when all the rats run down the basement hall ) only this time I had the security key and one less molotov cocktail. I decided to go start the generator, again without healing because hey I have the key and one less cocktail, the bloater is probably dead. Nope, even worse, upon trying to start the generator I was nearly instantly bitten by a runner, no time to even cancel the "starting the generator" animation. I tried this a few times every time being bit by a runner before I could even stop starting the generator ( I looked all around for him too, basement and 1st floor ). So I begrudgingly healed and decided I'll take my licks from him and move on. Nope, I killed one runner, went to start the generator, another one came before I could stop the animation. Frustrated as hell I left a bomb behind me to stop them. Finally I started the generator, turned around fought the bloater again and died. So to sum up to this point: I had died trying to start the generator, fighting the bloater gang, starting the generator, restarted due to an endless stream of runners, and died again on the bloater gang. Well the final F'n insult, was having never really reached a good save point, upon loading after the bloater's had killed me, I had one less health pack, one less bomb, fewer bullets, and almost no life. I manually saved, just so I wouldn't lose any more hard earned supplies and proceeded to do the following after much trial and error. As soon as I tried to start the generator, I stopped, tossed a moltov cocktail at the wall and spun around to kill a runner that seemed to kill me no matter how much life I had with a bite animation. Bombs wouldn't work, because if I didn't see him die, another would come. The third time I fought the bloater and his friends, I did not die.

Paragraphs are your friend, learn to use them :)

Lingitiz

I really appreciate the length and pacing of this game. You really feel more attached to the areas since you spend so much time in them. Its the first game in a while that really has lengthy and substantial levels.

6 hours in, amazing and all of that

but holy shit

*stealth mode on*

passes 10 minutes trying to go unnoticed by all the things trying to kill me

AI passes by

*TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP TUMP*

scared the fuck out of me WTF

*hits a monster while tries to find cover and nothing happens*

please stahp

xD

friendly AI is totally killing the game for me. :(

Truant

Wondering how much I've got left. Around 13 hours in.

I think I'm near the end. I just got to the free roaming horse part at the school. Also just picked up the flamethrower.

Well there's a checkpoint system but this game has three many draws:

1) The narrative
Yes told through cutscenes but also developed through the interactions between Joel and Ellie, their in-game dialogue. It is a very dark mature story, basically the medium's The Road or Children of Men. The voice acting and relationship developments is movie-quality. Just absolutely superb

2) The atmosphere
ND crafted the world and level design perfectly. Tons of details. Stories told through details in the environments and notes found. The world feels lived in and overall just a bleak place

3) The combat
I've never experienced such tension in a game before. You feel like a survivor. Especially on harder difficulties. The odds are always against you. It's brutal and violent and there is absolutely no narrative dissonance like in some other games. It's a kill or be killed world and you're playing as a man with a very loose moral compass. This isn't a duck and shoot cover shooter. You have to stay on the move or else you'll get flanked. The enemies are smart and communicate, spread out, advance, search. Their behavior changes when they know you have a weapon or when you take a human shield.

The pacing is just perfect. Unlike most games, it's a slow burn build up that puts narrative and characters first, that just explodes into the most intense, tense combat scenarios I've ever played. The levels become open semi-sandboxes that offers myriad ways to approach combat. And stealth is always preferred.

But trust me, when you only have a smoke bomb, one pistol round, maybe an arrow or rifle round, no medkits and low on health, and there are three or four enemies hunting you...it's intense

I only earned ONE trophy my first playthrough on normal. This is besides the 2 you get just for beating it.

Most other games are like ding ding ding all the way through.

I guess ND really does not like story related trophies? Looks like most of the trophies will require NG+

panty

Wondering how much I've got left. Around 13 hours in.

I think I'm near the end. I just got to the free roaming horse part at the school. Also just picked up the flamethrower.

2-3 hours maybe?

E: No sorry at least 4, maybe even 5-6? Forgot one chapter.

Top Bottom