• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Emwitus

I hated
the part in the hotel basement. I was running around from that big bomber guy and I kept expecting him to pop up in front of me and kill me. The whole place freaked me out, didn't help I was playing in the middle of the night with no light on.

I feel really proud that i sneaked through that whole section without triggering any infected. At one point i was sneaking a few inches between hordes of
Bloaters, clickers and runners.

I'm at a point in TLOU where I'm shotgunning every runner and clicker that comes at me with ease, and it also helps that I have that Jean Grey ability to see through walls/floors/buildings to know where any zombies are. Not saying TR is undoubtedly better, just saying I had more fun with it/had more thrills/thought gameplay was designed a bit better. Don't want to derail this thread though!

I'm 45 percent in so that's fair. I'm not using listen mode since I think it's a bullshit mechanic as well. I agree that TR felt very good to play since Lara controlled very well. Had fun with that one myself

khaaan

Has anyone watched the quicklook up on Giantbomb? Does it spoil anything significant? Environments and gameplay segments aren't a big deal to me but I only ask because I've clocked in zero hours. If they do spoil some stuff, approximately how far in should I be before I give the quicklook a watch?

CrazyDude

I feel really proud that i sneaked through that whole section without triggering any infected. At one point i was sneaking a few inches between hordes of
Bloaters, clickers and runners.

The only reason that I didn't sneak past them was because I thought the keycard was on the bloater.

I liked TR but feeling helpless? No way.

Ellie had such an awesome line before the section from the gameplay reveal:
why is that girl so skinny? I thought people had lots of food back then?

SkylineRKR

I have no idea what you are talking about. Tomb raider felt way overpowered, I never really felt like I was helpless.

I have not beaten TLoU yet but TR is my GOTY so far, I just loved its gameplay, mechanics, gunplay etc al. And the bow.

But helpless? No, Lara is a terminator in this game. Especially when you've upgraded everything.

chogidogs

Has anyone watched the quicklook up on Giantbomb? Does it spoil anything significant? Environments and gameplay segments aren't a big deal to me but I only ask because I've clocked in zero hours. If they do spoil some stuff, approximately how far in should I be before I give the quicklook a watch?

Doesn't spoil anything that wasn't public knowledge before. I watched it before playing the game and it didn't take anything away from the experience.

panty

It appeas there's gameplay and whatnot so I wouldn't watch it.

Blinck

Anyone else had problem with
Ellie killing way too many enemies with ease? A lot of people were complaining about Lara in Tomb Raider, but this was way worse.

Not really,
I felt that from the start up she was pretty much up for killing people, since that's just the world she was born in.

Dresden

Also my hoarder's instincts (gotta save mah elixirs) kicked in so hard with this game. With flamethrowers and assault rifles and shit in my bags, I cleared out the last level with bricks and shivs. Kinda wish I went all out and used them up.

I just checked a bit ago and I'm at 33%

I think this is the first game when I'm constantly thinking: I DON'T WANT IT TO END!!! :'(
Same here. I'm a little over 60% done after almost ten hours and I feel the same way. Story, world, atmosphere is just so good. I can't wait to see what ND does with the TLOU universe on the PS4

RDreamer

Multiplayer seems interesting, though I just had my first 2 games in a row being ravaged by a bunch of people who I think have played it a ton... :(

Also my hoarder's instincts (gotta save mah elixirs) kicked in so hard with this game. With flamethrowers and assault rifles and shit in my bags, I cleared out the last level with bricks and shivs. Kinda wish I went all out and used them up.
Me too, except I didn't even use any shivs.
I'm 45 percent in so that's fair. I'm not using listen mode since I think it's a bullshit mechanic as well. I agree that TR felt very good to play since Lara controlled very well. Had fun with that one myself
Eh, I disagree. The way it was implemented could have been better, though. I didn't play the game with headphones and most people are not. (I assume you are/did.) Wish I had.

I can't tell if people are just lashing out becuase of the high reviews.

Or maybe the game just really resonated with me.

But this is such a fresh and different experience. I felt so on the edge of my seat, and I was forced to (completely satisfying) improvise. The game is so systematic. I'm just so gushy about it. I can't believe how special this really is.

I probably need some time to cool off, before I give a full reaction, but it's seriously going down in my favourites book.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Without spoilers: is this game THAT good as people are saying? I'm willing to buy it

In my opinion, Its the best game ever created. Nothing even comes remotely close to the last of us in terms of production values and the experience I had.

There were moments in the game that left me breathless. No hyperbole here.

This is the game I have always wanted. A fucking masterpiece.

I-hate-u

I can't tell if people are just lashing out becuase of the high reviews.

Or maybe the game just really resonated with me.

But this is such a fresh and different experience. I felt so on the edge of my seat, and I was forced to (completely satisfying) improvise. The game is so systematic. I'm just so gushy about it. I can't believe how special this really is.

I probably need some time to cool off, before I give a full reaction, but it's seriously going down in my favourites book.

Its rare to have a highly anticipated game that manages not to disappoint. I guess thats what happens when you pour 3.5 years of hard work into a project. This game made feel that Naughty Dog is generations ahead from other devs in their medium.

So what was the moment that a few reviews were like they had to put down the controller and just admire it?

Well, don't spoil it, but I just started
Fall. Was it seeing the mountains and forests?
Or did I bypass it and not even realize?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Did anybody else lose it at the (fairly late game spoiler)
giraffes? It was just so beautiful.

So what was the moment that a few reviews were like they had to put down the controller and just admire it?

It comes later. You'll know it when you see it.

Carl

Much, much later.

I-hate-u

I will say that the last third of the game is best part of the entire game.

Arch Stanton

Neo Member
It was just relentless. Jumping in and out of the windows to pick people off, then being spotted and reorganizing to take people out, it was really tense, and took a while.

I think people playing on hard and are dying are getting a much worse experience. If it's check pointing is as bad as everyone says, not quite dying hides that a lot. There's been a handful of encounters where I've been fighting for ten/fifteen minutes, constantly near death but never dying, and it's pretty amazing. If I was dying and could just brute force all these checkpoints, it'd suck I'm sure.

This part was awesome on Hard as well! This mode just requires a little more patience.

Yanksfan

If developers are now making trophies to not be had during the main game, Sony should just implement a way for turning them off completely (at the user level) That way, both parties can win.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It really is tough to design non super linear levels for everyone. One interesting touch was the theme of yellow that appears in whatever "transition" path between areas. Like yellow police tape, or yellow paint on concrete, yellow pipes, etc. So, if you're lost, try to look for the colour yellow.

I also think the frequent checkpoints was a concession to make the game more friendly to the masses.

Its not necessarily a dumbing down of the game design as it is creating such a strong narrative driven game that people like myself get anxious to see whats next and when they encounter a rare roadblock they get frustrated.

For the most part the game has been perfect designing the levels with some choice in mind while still feeling like there is a clear path. When i play Dark Souls i dont really give a shit if im lost and dont know what to do.

dEvAnGeL

has anybody noticed that in any calendar or in any warning notice in the game is the October 2013 date that always stands out, coincidence? ps4? i know this was discussed in the past but man ive seen already at least 7 different calendars with the same month on it, it can't be for nothing

I-hate-u

has anybody noticed that in any calendar or in any warning notice in the game is the October 2013 date that always stands out, coincidence? ps4? i know this was discussed in the past but man ive seen already at least 7 different calendars with the same month on it, it can't be for nothing

DLC date? Keep in mind that internally Sony was so secretive about the look and the price of the console. Even Adam Boyes did not know how the console looked like until the day before the conference.

Did anybody else lose it at the (fairly late game spoiler)
giraffes? It was just so beautiful.

Definetly, I was thinking what the heck is it your running after Ellie then BAM. Amazing scene.

EDIT: Can't wait to get my Survivor playthrough going. And actually the MP is quite enjoyable in this game. It'd be very fun if we could get some GAF-games going with headsets and all.

Anyone down for that ? Add me on PSN if you want to play: UziPinkyRing

Superflat

Really enjoying it so far. Game says I put 13 hours into the game, but it didn't feel like it at all. Jesus.

Also just wanted to say that the environments in this game are INSANE.

I havent been this impressed since playing Alan Wake on PC as far as the number of objects they craft to make believable, lived-in rooms. It's mind-boggling. And the lighting is still impressing me to no end.

antitrop

Sucks I had to work all I weekend, I'm seeing so many people completing the game now and I'm at 30%.

About to boot up some multiplayer for the first time.

Dont mind the listen mechanic since the game doesn't really have the magic cover peaking ability most TPS games have. Both are unrealistic mechanics and in many cases give you similar cheating view of enemies. Think it would have been nicer if they had shortened the distance you can hear enemies and not let you upgrade it.

Carl

The outbreak was in October 2013

Sullichin

This game is really incredible with headphones. Can someone explain the differences between the different dynamic range settings in layman's terms? I have stereo monitor-quality headphones. I can't articulate the differences between the different dynamic range settings. To me, it just sounds like there's more reverb/sounds are further away when it's on maximum

I turned listen mode off right away. It doesn't make any sense to me why Joel would have that ability.

Top Bottom