• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
When Joel gets
hurt and is staggering through the university, I think it was the first time ever I felt really nervous that he might die.

These post apocalyptic games are the nightmare setting for me. This and TWD...no where to run, no idea what to do, no one you can trust. Truly just the worst. Terrifying.

I have to think, though, do we know what's going on in the rest of the world?

Truant

I have to say I didn't feel this game at first. The opener was strong, but the following two-three hours were pretty average. However, as soon as the game "opened up", it has just gotten better and better. It kinda reminds me of Half-Life 2 in it's variety and sense of adventure. I also like the pacing, with exploration and quiet moments being a big part of the game.

sunnz

I completed the game...

But NEVER have I ever wanted to replay a game again so quickly with a harder difficulty.

The game play to me is just awesome and very VERY satisfying.

Wish I was able to go from completing the game on Normal play through straight to Survivor PLUS with my stats and such carrying over after I finished :( They made it too confusing.

So once I complete survivor mode, will Survivor plus be unlocked and will I keep all my gear? or just my skills?

Yanksfan

The melee executions in this game are on some Manhunt shit. I love it.

Then again, when you think about it, TLoU is pretty much the perfect child of Manhunt, RE4, and Uncharted 2.

:drools:

..as if I wasn't sold enough.

Cannot wait until I have a chance to finally pick up the game. Have been entertaining family visiting in town (should have never moved to Orlando), so I am way behind on this shit.

You're not really vocalizing what you're looking for very well. If you can explain exactly what you mean by "how is death handled" (a game over screen, in case that helps?) and what you'd consider a good use of story told through gameplay. This game does have cutscenes. It's not open world or a choice laden game, so the story you may get would be the same I would.

But yes, like every story driven game since...well, probably since text only games died out in popularity, this game does go from gameplay to cutscenes and back.

thanks for your reply.
I think there are many ways how you could implement risk and reward (death would be the highest risk) into a game. the last years of horror games showed us how you could experiment with such mechanics in a inventive way. (talking amnesia, dayz, dark souls, zombieU). TLoU from your descriptions sounds like a rather "classic" example, which is fine by me generally, but certainly not interesting, especially not in a survival game.
story told through gameplay is also a field that was progressivly explored by many devs in the last couple of years. for example the insanity mechanic in amnesia. creating situations even in a linear game that foster or enhance the story for each individual player.
I was hoping ND took some of those ideas and concepts into their latest game, but I'm not quit sure if they achieved this after your description. I'm not well informed about the game, this is why I'm here and asking questions.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
thank you sounds good, but could you be more specific on "how the gameplay goes hand and hand with storytelling". how does the gameplay go hand in hand with the story?

No specific plot details in the following:

I felt there was very little reuse of environments, so you always felt like you were moving forward. Which is important since the entire game is a long cross country journey.

Additionally, each environment is set up with very few "magically appearing enemies", that is to say, flip a switch and somebody appears. Most of the enemies seem to exist in the area you're passing through. It gives the world a sense of permanence and scale, not just fighting off waves until the next cut scene.

There's a lot more, but I see others are mentioning it

Paragraphs are your friend, learn to use them :)
Yah, I didn't expect that rant to go on so long...

Sean

Banned
Yeah, I'm experiencing stuff like this everywhere. I feel like everyone is. For some of us, it really, really hurts the experience. Others are able to look passed it and maintain GOTG/GOTY/GOTF.

Ellie screams "look out! behind you!" when she's looking in the same direction I am, in front of me. Runners can see me from 30 feet away, but not from 2 inches. It's all over the place.

I still love the game and it'll almost certainly be my GOTY, but man the AI is horrendous and these pathfinding issues occur throughout the ENTIRE game. I sorta wish Ellie would just hide under a desk/staircase or something until the area is cleared - at least that would be less distracting.

I wonder if Naughty Dog can fix this or if that's outside the scope of a patch.

Animal

Banned
I am getting my ass owned in the school on hard mode. My companions are always starting fights with clickers/runners.

aravuus

The game doesn't work like a normal PS3 game, you don't need double the space, you only need the exact size of the game, and it's playable from roughly half way downloaded, but you'll still need the full 26GB.

Well that sounds just perfect then! I may have to leave the game to download over night

I can't stress enough how some parts of the game can be considered art and not gaming. I'm at
the college area after you get back with Ellie after she ran away with the horse. That little area of the game really hit home for me and just separated this game from mere chest high wall shooters.

So I have a sincere question, and I hope I can get a sincere answer. This game, much like Mass Effect 3, is making my PS3's fan come on. How dangerous is this to the health of my ps3(the first slim model)? I'm in an air conditioned house and the console has plenty of room. Should I be concerned?

thanks for your reply.
I think there are many ways how you could implement risk and reward (death would be the highest risk) into a game. the last years of horror games showed us how you could experiment with such mechanics in a inventive way. (talking amnesia, dayz, dark souls, zombieU). TLoU from your descriptions sounds like a rather "classic" example, which is fine by me generally, but certainly not interesting, especially not in a survival game.
story told through gameplay is also a field that was progressivly explored by many devs in the last couple of years. for example the insanity mechanic in amnesia. creating situations even in a linear game that foster or enhance the story for each individual player.
I was hoping ND took some of those ideas and concepts into their latest game, but I'm not quit sure if they achieved this after your description. I'm not well informed about the game, this is why I'm here and asking questions.
I had responded to your question on the previous page. Not sure if you saw it

as I said, I'm interested in the game and I respect ND for their previous work, but I want games to be progressive and inventive.
How is death handled in the game and how is the story told through gameplay? I'm not especially interested in the next iteration of the "gameplay/cutscene/gameplay/cutscene - formula"

Well there's a checkpoint system but this game has three many draws:

1) The narrative
Yes told through cutscenes but also developed through the interactions between Joel and Ellie and their in-game dialogue. It is a very dark mature story, basically the medium's The Road or Children of Men. The voice acting and relationship developments is movie-quality. Just absolutely superb

2) The atmosphere
ND crafted the world and level design perfectly. Tons of details. Stories told through details in the environments and notes found. The world feels lived in and overall just a bleak place

3) The combat
I've never experienced such tension in a game before. You feel like a survivor. Especially on harder difficulties. The odds are always against you. It's brutal and violent and there is absolutely no narrative dissonance like in some other games. It's a kill or be killed world and you're playing as a man with a very loose moral compass. This isn't a duck and shoot cover shooter. You have to stay on the move or else you'll get flanked. The enemies are smart and communicate, spread out, advance, search. Their behavior changes when they know you have a weapon or when you take a human shield.

The pacing is just perfect. Unlike most games, it's a slow burn build up that puts narrative and characters first, that just explodes into the most intense, tense combat scenarios I've ever played. The levels become open semi-sandboxes that offers myriad ways to approach combat. And stealth is always preferred.

But trust me, when you only have a smoke bomb, one pistol round, maybe an arrow or rifle round, no medkits and low on health, and there are three or four enemies hunting you...it's intense

Yerolo

I still love the game and it'll almost certainly be my GOTY, but man the AI is horrendous and these pathfinding issues occur throughout the ENTIRE game. I sorta wish Ellie would just hide under a desk/staircase or something until the area is cleared - at least that would be less distracting.

I wonder if Naughty Dog can fix this or if that's outside the scope of a patch.

The AI seemed alot better in the E3 2012 demonstration...but as most E3 videos go, they are engineered for demonstration purposes and change alot before release. I watched it again the other night just for shits n giggles, and the way some of those scenes played out was just breathtaking

Fantasmo

I am getting my ass owned in the school on hard mode. My companions are always starting fights with clickers/runners.

GAF is evidently full of amazing players. I played on Normal and abused the Listen mechanic and I got killed over and over in a few different areas. If I had to guess I died a couple times here and there, but in about 6 scenes I just got my ass handed to me, your approach is really important, you have to be patient and split them or you're screwed.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
thanks for your reply.
I think there are many ways how you could implement risk and reward (death would be the highest risk) into a game. the last years of horror games showed us how you could experiment with such mechanics in a inventive way. (talking amnesia, dayz, dark souls). TLoU from your descriptions sounds like a rather "classic" example, which is fine by me generally, but certainly not interesting, especially not in a survival game.
I was hoping ND took some of those ideas and concepts into their latest game, but I'm not quit sure if the achieved this after your description. I'm not well informed about the game, this is way I'm here and asking questions.

No, you're not going to lose souls. You just die and restart. There isn't any meter juggling, either. The story is told with a combination of gameplay and cutscenes. If you hate cutscenes, this game does feature them. It's not the only method of conveying the story, plot or characterizations.

If the entire metric for whether you will purchase this game is "is it inventive in all aspects" then the answer is no. If you can settle for a game that is inventive in it's relationship building, a bit cliched in its adherence to survival/zombie fiction tropes, amazing in it's visual storytelling and a stellar single-player experience, then you may want to give it a try. It's not Uncharted where you run around shooting people while making silly quips. It's also not Amnesia mixed with Dark Souls or anything. It's an action/survival game that places a premium on the characters.

Again, you won't catch me calling it The Greatest Game of The Entire Generation, or even GOTY. But if you actually still enjoy playing video games and own a PS3, then there really isn't a reason to skip this one.

panty

So I have a sincere question, and I hope I can get a sincere answer. This game, much like Mass Effect 3, is making my PS3's fan come on. How dangerous is this to the health of my ps3(the first slim model)? I'm in an air conditioned house and the console has plenty of room. Should I be concerned?

My launch PS3 was very loud too so I wouldn't be too scared. The game is tough on the console.

I'm about 3 hours in now. I'd consider this easily the best Naughty Dog game. While I like the Uncharted games, I've always felt that they are massively overrated. In particular, the Uncharted games have had pretty rough combat. But so far, TLoU has had good combat alongside great narrative. It's lived up to the hype so far!

Also, I like that this game doesn't hold your hand that much. It's a breath of fresh air from Naughty Dog's previous work and just about every other high-budget game in the industry lately.

Lime

Finished it just now. Great game with excellent characters and acting. I would probably say that within its genre of cinematic linear scripted games that The Last of Us is possibly the best of the bunch. I still have some qualms with the game's deficiencies, but overall the game is really solid.

TripleSun

This is fun but these dudes with guns not dropping ammo just to keep my supplies constrained is dumb as hell.

I'm like "oh a dude has a pistol, I'm low on ammo, lets take him out quietly and take his ammo." -kills him- -no ammo drops- What the hell, lol.

I'm curious. Has anyone had enemies run away from them? Like you had a long gun and they only had a melee weapon or something? Like we saw in the E3 demo?

I doubt the chase and hiding would last as long, just wondering if it's possible

cacophony

damn in the hotel
when you get the generator going and Bloater comes.
gmae is way too stressful at times lol.

and of course right after that is ANOTHER section in a large room filled with enemies. This game has me so conflicted. It's almost lazy how many of these sections there are. They just aren't fun to me.

Animal

Banned
Your companions don't start fights, only you are able to.

I know that is what everyone in here is saying but I am fairly certain if a clicker gets right up to one of your companies your companions will start shooting. I was at what I beleive to be a very safe distance when I witnessed this twice. I couldn't see any reason why I would be the cause in both situations.

TripleSun

Like 56% the way through and
when the sewer door closes on you and the clickers start chasing Henry and Ellie, my heart jumped. I walk outside the room to see like a billion runners. Might take a break right now to calm down, haha. Only can take so much infected areas in one day.

damn in the hotel

and of course right after that is ANOTHER section in a large room filled with enemies. This game has me so conflicted. It's almost lazy how many of these sections there are. They just aren't fun to me.
What don't you enjoy about that? Those are the best parts IMO: large areas with ways to flank and attack.

This is fun but these dudes with guns not dropping ammo just to keep my supplies constrained is dumb as hell.

I literally went for 5 real-life hours without any Shotgun ammo even though I've been dropping shotgun-wielding dudes left and right. They never dropped any, and I think Ellie gave me some once out of sympathy, but then I restarted from checkpont and she gave me revolver ammo instead lol.

Later in the game, there's a part where you're forced to use the rifle against a horde of infected, and almost every single one of them drops rifle ammo even though they're obviously not using any weapons.

Super fucking dumb.

cacophony

What don't you enjoy about that? Those are the best parts IMO: large areas with ways to flank and attack.

Probably because they are so often. you can't go five minutes without one. I like the moments more when you don't know if enemies are even in the area and tension builds because of that (like the part I mentioned right before that). I just wish the game were more varied. Hopefully it is in the 2nd half.

StuBurns

Banned
I love the pacing, you typically get a nice balance, half the time is combat, the other half splits between traversal and resource gathering more or less. Much better than the UC pacing. UC2 has that incredible trio of levels in the middle, but for the most part, it's way too combat heavy.

Yerolo

tfw a clicker notices you just before you are able to shiv it

daaaaaaaamn

I found it frustrating to no end that the clickers were able to insta-kill you. That along with my piss poor controller aiming skills made this game more frustrating than it should have been in alot of situations :-/

I should have went for easy with autoaim turned on lol

TripleSun

damn in the hotel

Run like fucking hell and key card that door upstairs, I died way too many times from the bloater cornering me at the door lol

vpance

damn in the hotel

That part was kind of bullshit I think. I tried it a couple times but it doesn't seem fair. So I grabbed all the items first, then hit the generator and ran for the exit.

It was a crap encounter because it forces the trial and error approach. The enemies just spawn out of nowhere.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Your companions don't start fights, only you are able to.

Lies! :p I was stealthing around some infected trying to source some supplies when my companion ran straight up and shotgun'd one of them. Needless to say as soon as that happened I was surrounded and died. Tried about half a dozen times and got the same outcome each time.

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished it on hard. The trophy for easy is bugged and didn't show up. What the fuck.

Still processing everything. No words.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
That part was kind of bullshit I think. I tried it a couple times but it doesn't seem fair. So I grabbed all the items first, then hit the generator and ran for the exit.

It was a crap encounter because it forces the trial and error approach. The enemies just spawn out of nowhere.
Agreed

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Finally got back to the bit I was at when I had the autosave bug
This game really is fantastic, even playing the same 9 hours twice in the same week

I don't know what it is, but I do not feel safe without a brick

Top Bottom