• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Megasoum

Banned
The bow is sooooo satisfying to use... I'm so glad that we had the chance of having #yearofthebow... Some of the best weapons last year... The bow in TLOU, Tomb Raider and Farcry are soooooooo goood.

Skab

That part was kind of bullshit I think. I tried it a couple times but it doesn't seem fair. So I grabbed all the items first, then hit the generator and ran for the exit.

It was a crap encounter because it forces the trial and error approach. The enemies just spawn out of nowhere.

It's weird to me to see people say this. That section went way different for me.

I'm about 2/3 in and haven't even messed with the bow yet. And sounds like I gotta join Team Brick as well. So far I've been choking people and using guns on zombie hordes.

vpance

It's weird to me to see people say this. That section went way different for me.

How'd you handle it then? I figure even if I managed to kill them all I'd basically be completely out of ammo. Didn't seem to be worth the effort.

Bladenic

Wait what did (late game spoiler)
David say to Ellie? Is he part of the hunters from Pitt hunting them? No spoilers if he wasn't clear, I just wasn't sure what he said.

MechaX

damn in the hotel
when you get the generator going and Bloater comes.
gmae is way too stressful at times lol.

and of course right after that is ANOTHER section in a large room filled with enemies. This game has me so conflicted. It's almost lazy how many of these sections there are. They just aren't fun to me.

That part was absolutely hilarious. Like, the first time I started the sequence, I was like
I'm just going to spend my ammo to take care of most of these super runners. They weren't all that toug-WTF BLOATER *DEAD*
The second time, I was like "lol, nope" and rushed to the end of the sequence. It's like if you were playing Resident Evil and suddenly like 5 Hunters and a Tyrant showed up.

Also, I was fairly lukewarm to this game at first. But I just spent most of the day playing the game and I'm still only at 53% with 9 hours played. Please tell me that the percentage ratio is very correlative to the amount of play-time left.

Jharp

Holy shit at that intro... HOLY shit.

Currently only a few hours into it. In
Bill's town, heading for the car parts with Bill
. Loving it so far, and it's turning out to be nearly exactly what I wanted, which is an adventure/exploration game with awesome survival/stealth/action. I'm genuinely surprised how well the game has stuck to its promise of not being a third person shooter, and I hope it stays that way. Playing on Hard with Listen Mode and all that helpful shit turned off. Wish Survival mode or whatever was available from the start.

Played two games of the multiplayer and it was... interesting. Good, but strange. I almost feel like calling even the multiplayer a "third person shooter" is a bit misleading, even though that's pretty much all it revolves around, with some added crafting/looting. It was real fun, and super tense.

Still, I'm bummed there's no co op multiplayer mode. This game seems like it'd be perfect for a 2-4 player co op mode similar to Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead, where you're moving throughout a large open area and contending with bandits/military/infected while just trying to survive. Populate the levels with crafting supplies, ammo, and meds, and it'd be a blast.

Have they said anything about adding in a co op multiplayer mode with DLC, or anything about DLC plans whatsoever? I remember Uncharted 3 getting kind of fucked with its season pass stuff, so I hope the same doesn't happen here.

I neglected the bow until I learned you can headshot clickers and armored guards with that shit. Its a real satisfying sound, too. Whole game has fantastic sound design that makes everything almost uncomfortably brutal and suspenseful.

One encounter near the end I'm in this tunnel, and you can hear the voices echoing throughout, had no idea which side they were coming from. Look to the left, back up to the right, BOOM Clicker grabs me and I'm dead. Shit scared the hell out of me, lol

Also, I was fairly lukewarm to this game at first. But I just spent most of the day playing the game and I'm still only at 53% with 9 hours played. Please tell me that the percentage ratio is very correlative to the amount of play-time left.

Have you even got to Autumn yet? You got a long way to go.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
When a bloater grabs you I cringe every time
just brutal

Trick_GSF

Banned
Just finished up. Complete marathon, sans and hour or two yesterday. My back aches, my eyes are stinging but it was so fucking worth it.

Naughty Gods indeed.

antitrop

This game really picks up once you
get Bill

5hrs 45m now, having an insanely enjoyable time. This game will be seminal as fuck.

leng jai

Did Ellie walk straight into the first of Bills tripwires for anyone else. The fact that Joel specifically told her to duck beforehand made it even more silly.

teekun

I neglected the bow until I learned you can headshot clickers and armored guards with that shit. Its a real satisfying sound, too. Whole game has fantastic sound design that makes everything almost uncomfortably brutal and suspenseful.

The bow is amazing. I started using it seriously in the area
where you first give Ellie a rifle to cover you clearing the area

I couldn't have beaten that part without it.

Just beat the game and my final play time was around 14hrs and not even having 100% completion. Anybody who has beaten the game already, I need to ask this question.
Is their alternate endings, or did I get the wrong ending because it wasn't anything close to an ending? I did skip the credits so I'm not sure if their was an extra scene or something. I know there's supposed to be a Last of Us 2 rumor going around but they can't leave an ending like that. It didn't even answer anything. What about Joel's wife, how is Joel's brother, and who is Ellie's parents and where are they?

This game is one of my favorite games to come out this year so far. It was beautiful graphically, for the first time I actually cared for the characters, and the gameplay was awesome too although buggy sometimes. While the game's
story and cutscenes are predictable as anything, it's still good to view. For example I knew Henry was going to commit suicide, and Sam was bitten once the first time I saw them getting too friendly with Joel.
Once again Naughty Dog did a fine job with this game.

Also I need to clean out my PS3, thing sounds like a vacuum now and it hasn't been cleaned in the 4 years I had it.

DatDude

Banned
Nah, still in Pittsburgh (albeit, about to start the last segment). This pleases me. I can't even think of the last time I thought "man, I hope the game is not close to being done yet."

Your pretty far off from the end in that case.

The only thing I wish this game had more of was just more small intimate moments. I really wished there was a scene where Joel and Ellie simply made camp by a river, made a fire and just had a real 1 on 1 talk. An just really bonded while fire flies filled the air.

Just more small stuff. I love these 2 characters so much that I really wish there was even more interaction between them 2. Can't get enough honestly.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
God damn. There are like.. no items in survivor mode. O__O

I've played for about 45 minutes and I've come across maybe 5 gears and 2 scissors and a single bandage. Fuckin' A...

DatDude

Banned
Did Ellie walk straight into the first of Bills tripwires for anyone else. The fact that Joel specifically told her to duck beforehand made it even more silly.

No but I did lol

I am about 3 and a half hours in, 3rd chapter. When do I get the bow? I just don't want to miss that thing. My dream weapon.

Have you met Bill yet? You find it in that chapter, minutes before you meet him though.

My eyes are literally watery right now at the shit I'm playing. I can't believe it's getting this fucking good. Like the game is just hitting multiple chords at the same damn time it's inconceivable. I doubted the game was going to be this good but damn I'm a believer now. I was worried because after the intro part I was a little weary the game was going to be like that for the remainder but wow o wow I'm wrong.

DatDude

Banned
My eyes are literally watery right now at the shit I'm playing. I can't believe it's getting this fucking good. Like the game is just hitting multiple chords at the same damn time it's inconceivable. I doubted the game was going to be this good but damn I'm a believer.

It's one of those games that start out as...um okay why the fuck is game getting so many 10/10's

Then bit by bit it starts to get better and better and better, and really, truly understand where the 10's are coming from.

Literally just picked up the
flamethrower
How much longer? Don't want it to end :(

Maybe about 4+ hours? Depending how you playing

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Just beat the game and my final play time was around 14hrs and not even having 100% completion. Anybody who has beaten the game already, I need to ask this question.
Is their alternate endings, or did I get the wrong ending because it wasn't anything close to an ending? I did skip the credits so I'm not sure if their was an extra scene or something. I know there's supposed to be a Last of Us 2 rumor going around but they can't leave an ending like that. It didn't even answer anything. What about Joel's wife, how is Joel's brother, and who is Ellie's parents and where are they?

This game is one of my favorite games to come out this year so far. It was beautiful graphically, for the first time I actually cared for the characters, and the gameplay was awesome too although buggy sometimes. While the game's
story and cutscenes are predictable as anything, it's still good to view. For example I knew Henry was going to commit suicide, and Sam was bitten once the first time I saw them getting too friendly with Joel.
Once again Naughty Dog did a fine job with this game.

Also I need to clean out my PS3, thing sounds like a vacuum now and it hasn't been cleaned in the 4 years I had it.

I thought the ending was fine.
Ellie said her parents were dead earlier in the game. So what about Joel's wife, I take it she left Sarah with him because they were both young. As for his brother there is no indication that anything happened to him. The game ends with the pair just outside of Jackson presumably ready to settle down and live there.

I play with listen mode off. I was sneaking through a door and I didn't see a clicker sticking to the wall right next to the door.

Bill
shouted "to your right!", and I instinctively went for a grab and shiv-ed the clicker. Man, this game is awesome!

I'm always running out of shiv!

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Why didn't NaughtyDog have some cool shit to unlock if you get all the collectables? You only get trophies.. that is pretty weak.

then again, it's pretty great that I can buy what I want and use that in Survival mode so far. But still.. there is no incentive for the collectables.

DatDude

Banned
How much do I have left? Regarding Winter chapter...

Joel has just woken up, and picked himself up to go rescue Ellie from David

Please tell me I still have a little bit more to go? I don't want this to end :(

antitrop

I think all the things people have been alleging about
Bill
are pretty obvious, at least to me. The way that minor detail is handled/portrayed is pretty mature.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
How much do I have left? Regarding Winter chapter...

Joel has just woken up, and picked himself up to go rescue Ellie from David

Please tell me I still have a little bit more to go? I don't want this to end :(

Took me almost two hours and a bit to finish the game after that. Depends on your play style, though.

Animal

Banned
40% complete @ 8h52m.

I am a bit astonished how fast some people are going through the game. I wonder how much it has to do with me playing in Hard mode and me looking around at all the details and hunting for items.

Dueck

Banned
TLOU is the second-best game of the generation for me (behind XCOM: Enemy Unknown). That may sound weird, but I just don't know if I can see myself spending a lot of time with this game now that I have finished it. It's without question the highest quality game I have played in years (in terms of storytelling, characterization, and graphics).

DatDude

Banned
I think all the things people have been alleging about
Bill
are pretty obvious, at least to me. The way that minor detail is handled/portrayed is pretty mature.

It only became obvious till the very end for me.

If you didn't look for the magazines than you wouldn't have known honestly. An when he mentioned about his partner I honestly thought he meant his partner, as in his friend.

It only all came together for me at the end when Joel and Ellie were driving off to Pitsburgh.

Top Bottom