• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

40% complete @ 8h52m.

I am a bit astonished how fast some people are going through the game. I wonder how much it has to do with me playing in Hard mode and me looking around at all the details and hunting for items.
It's weird. I'm not rushing at all, I'm playing on Hard, and yet I was at 50% in around 7 hrs. But I can't wait to do a Survivor playthrough

Skab

How'd you handle it then? I figure even if I managed to kill them all I'd basically be completely out of ammo. Didn't seem to be worth the effort.

Well,
for starters I got the key card before I ever even saw the door it was for. I killed that first set of Stalkers that comes when you pick up the card pretty easily by letting them funnel into the security room.

I had also completely missed the generator when making my way through the flooded lower parts the first time through (I was distracted by everything being creepy and expecting something to jump out at me, so I just didn't notice it.), so once I saw the door still wasn't working I searched around and then found it. Started it, heard things start coming a second time, and just ran to the door.

I never even saw the Bloater and wouldn't have even known he was there if I hadn't heard him when I was opening the door.

Was all pretty smooth and easy. And I played through on hard.

Speaking of, I didn't really find the game all that hard even on hard. Can't imagine how much easier it would have felt on Normal.

It only became obvious till the very end for me.

If you didn't look for the magazines than you wouldn't have known honestly. An when he mentioned about his partner I honestly thought he meant his partner, as in his friend.

It only all came together for me at the end when Joel and Ellie were driving off to Pitsburgh.

The hesitation before he said that made it pretty obvious though

"A.......partner"

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's weird to me to see people say this. That section went way different for me.

When I entered that area for the first time (Hotel)
I left the generator abduction went up stairs sneaking around looking for stuff/evaluating the surroundings. The only reason Ididn't start the generator was because I expected something to happen after that horde of rats came towards me earlier. When I went back down to the generator I laid two nail bombs, one up the ramp and one by the entrance to the generator. As soon as it started the ambience changed and I sprinted upstairs picking up my bomb and made a mad dash for the keycard door with shotgun in hand.

From some ppls posts here it sounds like I made the right decision!

antitrop

I thought Troy Baker did a pretty whatever job with Booker DeWitt, but any issues I had with that character are certainly made up by Joel.

abic

Banned
I just completed The Last of Us. Here's my simple review

- Beautiful to look at, some visual bugs here and htere
- Deeply engrossing game, plot and pacing is brilliant
- World is believable, I can easily imagine more characters and stories within it
- Very character focused, two core characters are amazing
- Writing is at the level of a TV series or movie
- Has some very "gamey" moments, so don't expect revolutionary gameplay

Absolutely top notch game, there are definitely enough bugs and contrite gamey moments here for people to complain about but the overall package is superb. There is simply nothing that can compare to this sort of game on consoles today.

Lies! :p I was stealthing around some infected trying to source some supplies when my companion ran straight up and shotgun'd one of them. Needless to say as soon as that happened I was surrounded and died. Tried about half a dozen times and got the same outcome each time.

Infected likely spotted you, hence the AI reaction

GulAtiCa

Just finished the game, really loved it. Took 14 hours and 34 minutes to beat it.

I'm curious what the single player DLC will be like, when eventually released.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I think all the things people have been alleging about
Bill
are pretty obvious, at least to me. The way that minor detail is handled/portrayed is pretty mature.

Yeh I thought that, when he said about his partner I knew, then I found the note and it was just plain obvious

Felt bad about giving him the note though. Pressed triangle and immediately regretted it

I just completed The Last of Us. Here's my simple review

- Beautiful to look at, some visual bugs here and htere
- Deeply engrossing game, plot and pacing is brilliant
- World is believable, I can easily imagine more characters and stories within it
- Very character focused, two core characters are amazing
- Writing is at the level of a TV series or movie
- Has some very "gamey" moments, so don't expect revolutionary gameplay

Absolutely top notch game, there are definitely enough bugs and contrite gamey moments here for people to complain about but the overall package is superb. There is simply nothing that can compare to this sort of game on consoles today.
I'm at the
university, got the flamethrower
. How much longer would you say I have? Someone else said only four hours, but I don't want to believe that. Really don't want this game to end so soon...

GulAtiCa

Perhaps the missing gap time between Pitsburgh, and Wyoming?

That's what I'm thinking. As the whole journey took a long time, there is a LOT of room for them to add more chapters to fit inbetween.

Heck, they could even do DLC that takes place after the game ends with some kind of new event. But I bet something like that could be handled by a sequel most likely.

vpance

From some ppls posts here it sounds like I made the right decision!

Yes looks like most people just ran for it in that part of the hotel, lol. Though I don't think the creators intended for players to do that though.

I didn't completely explore the upper part of that area
so I didn't even know an exit was up there and kept starting the generator for endless deaths by bloater man. I thought it was another one of those kill em all to proceed areas.

This is where I think the encounters in the RE's are done better. Things are a little more neatly designed. This was just a
Dead Space monster closet moment.

StuBurns

Banned
Baker is amazing in this game, I wouldn't have known it was the same voice as Booker had I not been told, a completely transformative performance. A whole other class to Nolan North.

Skab

On a side note, the visuals and the sound design are outstanding in this and I absolutely cannot wait to see what Naught Dog does on the PS4.

Damn, the scene between Joel and Ellie
in the cabin
was powerful, the emotions were palpable. But he redeemed himself a few minutes later

GulAtiCa

grr, damn. This sucks. Apparently new game + can't be used on higher difficulties if you used Normal the first time. Now I'm disappointed. Was hoping to start Hard with all my items/upgrades/etc... :(

antitrop

The
Truck Crashing after Boston
set-piece is awesome. Love that human AI.

I think this game is the first time I have felt like a game was truly a significant step forward for AI since F.E.A.R. in 2005.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Infected likely spotted you, hence the AI reaction

Nope, trust me, I was on the opposite side of the road checking the porches on houses and there was no clickers/sprinter near me. Like I said, I tried quite a few times to search the entire area but it.was always ruined by my companion.

vilmer_

The
Truck Crashing after Boston
set-piece is awesome. Love that human AI.

I think this game is the first time I have felt like a game was truly a significant step forward for AI since F.E.A.R. in 2005.

Totally agree. And I find it bizarre that as I'm reading this I'm watching old FEAR videos on youtube lol!

breakfuss

Was having a shootout with two bandits and not making any progress. So I throw a Molotov at one and burned him. The other guy then proceeds to just stay behind cover now? Haha, tell me that's deliberate.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This fucking game, man.

Don't read unless you're ~70% complete. Probably even less, but I just wanna be sure.

The moment when Henry, desperate and excited after just killing his brother, shoots himself in the head struck such a nerve with me that I literally gasped.
I had to stop playing for several minutes because I could not stop crying. It was so sudden in its violence, sadness, and disorientation that it hit me like a truck. I felt so incredibly sorry for
Henry
and everyone else.

I... I'm just overwhelmed. I keep saying it, but this game's writing, acting and storytelling are just exceptional. To see the emotion on every character's face and in his/her eyes is just something I'm not used to from video games.

And can I just say that the
forest area
that you begin immediately after is one of the most beautiful sections in the entire game? The lighting, the overcast sky, the water shading... some of the very finest this gen, without a fucking doubt.

Kard8p3

This fucking game, man.

Don't read unless you're ~70% complete. Probably even less, but I just wanna be sure.

The moment when Henry, desperate and excited after just killing his brother, shoots himself in the head struck such a nerve with me that I literally gasped.
I had to stop playing for several minutes because I could not stop crying. It was so sudden in its violence, sadness, and disorientation that it hit me like a truck. I felt so incredibly sorry for
Henry
and everyone else.

I... I'm just overwhelmed. I keep saying it, but this game's writing, acting and storytelling are just exceptional. To see the emotion on every character's face and in his/her eyes is just something I'm not used to from video games.

forest area
that you begin immediately after is one of the most beautiful sections in the entire game? The lighting, the overcast sky, the water shading... some of the very finest this gen, without a fucking doubt.

I actually came here to post about that scene..

just..

Fuck man.

vilmer_

This fucking game, man.

I had to stop playing for several minutes because I could not stop crying. The moment was so sudden in its violence, sadness, disorientation. I felt so incredibly sorry for
Henry

forest area

That was an extremely powerful scene, I liked both of them :(

This fucking game, man.

Henry
and everyone else.

forest area

Yes, I had the exact same reaction as you did to that scene (although I didn't break down and cry). It was just so unexpected.

I can't wait to finish this game tonight.

HELL TO THE YES
And that kind of DLC could be even darker and bleaker than the actual main story. One, it would be set during a period in which society is collapsing and two, it's a period in which Joel was a hunter and killed innocents. I would really want to see what how desperate those times were, that Joel had to become that kind of person

sunnz

This fucking game, man.

Henry
and everyone else.

forest area

Yep, it kinda hits you like a truck when it happens, especially because of how fast it is.

Remembered it for a good few minutes after it happened too, something that NEVER has happened before with a video game, or even a film honestly.

Puts what is happening into perspective.

DoomGyver

I'm 35% through Survivor and the difficulty seems about the same as hard. Fewer parts/pills/items to scavenge, you just need to use more stealth and slip by your foes.

This game used up my entire weekend. :lol

This fucking game, man.

Henry
and everyone else.

forest area
Saw it coming when they were attacked, but it is still a powerful scene.

Badgerst3

Bill is nuts. Ellie is almost useless, but she's funny during cutscenes. The clickers are annoying because it's always difficult to kill them. I'm really enjoying this, flaws aside.

That's all.

The bow is sooooo satisfying to use... I'm so glad that we had the chance of having #yearofthebow... Some of the best weapons last year... The bow in TLOU, Tomb Raider and Farcry are soooooooo goood.

Tomb raider or dark souls bow take it for me.

owlbeak

Just finished the game. Hard mode, no listen. Took me 23 hours and 2 minutes.

Amazing. Tough to describe exactly how good this game is. Everything from the sound to the voice acting, the writing, level design, use of color, combat, item placement. It's all practically flawless. It was a truly amazing gaming experience and probably the best game I've ever played period. I encountered no glitches but one, the next to last cutscene blacked out and then played VERY choppy for the first five seconds or so, then the sound was behind but caught up quickly. I was worried I was going to miss the last cutscene. :[

I scoured every corner of every area looking for collectibles and supplies. Oddly enough only found 120/144 collectibles! I hope the count stays in New Game+ and new collectibles you didn't find on your first run are added to that total. Only ended up finding 19 Firefly pendants as well. Dammit!

I did find all the comics, though!

GulAtiCa

Well, since I can't continue onto Hard or above, I'll do Survival or Hard laer on, for now I'll just redo Normal with my continued stats/stuff/etc and enjoy myself.

btw: Anyone else dislike the run mechanic here? More specifically how fast you ran was never the same, so kinda annoyed me when in area and could barely even fast walk.

Top Bottom