• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This game is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of the year if not the generation. I wasn't really feeling it until I early on in the game when you first leave
the city you start in
. I think it was right around the time I encountered Bill that the game really took off for me and it's been on a steep incline of excitement ever since. I'm about 8 hours in now and I'm really not wanting the game to end any time soon.

This game is quickly becoming one of my favorite games of the year if not the generation. I wasn't really feeling it until I early on in the game when you first leave
the city you start in
. I think it was right around the time I encountered Bill that the game really took off for me and it's been on a steep incline of excitement ever since. I'm about 8 hours in now and I'm really not wanting the game to end any time soon.

The best is yet to come. Yeah, its this awesome.

See, this is what I'm talking about. These bathrooms at this one specific place in Pittsburgh. I mean. Look at the detail work in the textures! On the ceiling, the most beautiful chipped paint texture work ever. Who spends this much time on something so inconsequential!? And yet... what a marvel of artistry!

Going through THE LAST OF US is like taking flight through one of those photo galleries of Destroyed Detroit.

I'm exactly like you man, was admiring those same textures a few hours ago.
There's so much to take in every room it's almost overwhelming.
When they release a PS4 game I'm going to spend ages admiring it, it's why I keep replying their games again and again.
I'd love to dedicate my life to this stuff. Oh well, too late now.

I demandd to kill all of the enemies for a long time but then I got kind of tired of searching dead area of the game to every little thing and starting moving on. When I got to the University I ended up not having enough gear any more and managed to walk right past some tough segments.

I will say that I really dislike the parts of the game that are waves of enemies. Some of the later ones are really amazing and intense but I feel like it goes against the 'fight or flight' feel they had been going for.

Too many collectables as well IMO. I searched everything like a crazy person for 8 hours and I still missed a good chunk of the goods. I am not looking forward to HAVNG to use a word for word walkthrough to handle it later.

I make a mad dash for the door but I'm always intercepted by a runner and the bloater :(

You actually can't even open that door until the runner and bloater are dead. Even if you have the keycard. But I used two molotovs and a few shotgun shells, and they both went down without a problem.

You actually can't even open that door until the runner and bloater are dead. Even if you have the keycard. But I used two molotovs and a few shotgun shells, and they both went down without a problem.

Of course you can, I did it.
On my second try I knew what I had to do so made a quick dash to the door, it was over in seconds, didn't fire a single shot.

That's not true, I got past that part without killing anybody. Ran around the place juking fuckers like I was Bo Jackson

Inversive

I was also able to do it. just started the generator and ran like hell. got to the keycard reader and opened the door before anyone got to me. My heart was beating SO fast...

Playing on Hard.

hahah same, i was shitting my pants as my courage fled me.

See, this is what I'm talking about. These bathrooms at this one specific place in Pittsburgh. I mean. Look at the detail work in the textures! On the ceiling, the most beautiful chipped paint texture work ever. Who spends this much time on something so inconsequential!? And yet... what a marvel of artistry!

Going through THE LAST OF US is like taking flight through one of those photo galleries of Destroyed Detroit.

Curious: what do you think of the cars? Items on tables, like toasters? Some things look great, since things look generations old to me.

Not true. If the power is on you don't have to fight. The door works if the power is on. Maybe, you just pressed triangle on the door instead of the card reader :p
Happens when shit is going down :D

Curious: what do you think of the cars? Items on tables, like toasters? Some things look great, since things look generations old to me.

I don't know what he thinks but I think there's only so much that can be done with that amount of memory and certain assets are given higher priority when that memory is being juggled.

consoul

my ps3 actually completely shut off while playing the last of us yesterday. no warning. the red light wasn't even on either.
Yeah, to anyone whose system seems to be struggling, I'd advise caution. Give it a rest every so often and let it cool off.

Uncharted 2 killed my launch Phat. The PS3 shut itself off mid-game and never powered up again. When the repair guys opened it up to get the disc out, they said it looked like the GPU had melted down.

I love Naughty Dog, but am acutely aware that they push the hardware to the limits. Beyond the limits even. From 'Making Crash Bandicoot':
Kelly is a smart guy, and a good game critic, but he had a lot more to worry about than just gameplay. For example, whether Crash was physically good for the hardware!

Andy had given Kelly a rough idea of how we were getting so much detail through the system: spooling. Kelly asked Andy if he understood correctly that any move forward or backward in a level entailed loading in new data, a CD “hit.” Andy proudly stated that indeed it did. Kelly asked how many of these CD hits Andy thought a gamer that finished Crash would have. Andy did some thinking and off the top of his head said “Roughly 120,000.” Kelly became very silent for a moment and then quietly mumbled “the PlayStation CD drive is ‘rated’ for 70,000.”

Kelly thought some more and said “let’s not mention that to anyone” and went back to get Sony on board with Crash.

PSA: Back up your saves people.
You never know when the end might come.

Beaulieu

PS3 noob here

I am in Canada, and my friend left for a three week vacation in france. He lent me his PS3 and I am trying to buy Last of Us. The game is sold out in my city, so I decided to buy on the PSN store. Problem; his psn store is in french (even if I put back his XMB in english). Will the game I buy be the french version ? Is there even a way to know ? It's not written anywhere on the product page...

PS3 noob here

I am in Canada, and my friend left for a three week vacation in france. He lent me his PS3 and I am trying to buy Last of Us. The game is sold out in my city, so I decided to buy on the PSN store. Problem; his psn store is in french (even if I put back his XMB in english). Will the game I buy be the french version ? Is there even a way to know ? It's not written anywhere on the product page...

Damn game is sold out everywhere, bloody hell..

Lyonaz

man I hope someone can answer me... I don't want to end up with a french version

You can change the language in the option menu. I take it they have that in all versions, even digital versions.

-edit-
If you want you can make your own profile with an address in the US and shop from that PSN region. You need a US PSN card though. Also pick a state with no extra taxes, like california.

Beaulieu

You can change the language in the option menu. I take it they have that in all versions, even digital versions.

thanks.

man i which my HDMI cable wouldnt produce white dots on his ps3, that sucks, the cable works well with my 360 and bluray player.

Fantasmo

I'm watching a Youtube of this being completed on Survivor with no Listen mode. He's not finished so he obviously runs and reruns these sections before he posts them but man do they make my playthrough look bad. I was constantly scavenging for items, whereas he basically does every section as quickly as possible, only grabbing essentials and he's low on health and has virtually no ammo the whole time. Craziness.

Not true. If the power is on you don't have to fight. The door works if the power is on. Maybe, you just pressed triangle on the door instead of the card reader :p
Happens when shit is going down :D

I tried both, and the Triangle didn't even appear over the card-reader until they were both dead.

I'm watching a Youtube of this being completed on Survivor with no Listen mode. He's not finished so he obviously runs and reruns these sections before he posts them but man do they make my playthrough look bad. I was constantly scavenging for items, whereas he basically does every section as quickly as possible, only grabbing essentials and he's low on health and has virtually no ammo the whole time. Craziness.

man, im cringing even imagining that.

good for people who love gameplay like this.

too tense for me.

Fantasmo

Duuuude... The flashlight light bounces off other people oO

In one of the making of videos from last year, an asian woman that works at Naughty Dog talked about that. She talked about it for about a minute. Not verbatim but said if the effects weren't correct, the game would look sterile/dead. If a flashlight is on a red wall it needs to reflect back red. Attention to detail is what makes their games look so good, other companies don't have a chance because they just throw effects all over the place.

Edit: Remembered it wrong, it was a few people here's the relevant info:
http://youtu.be/o7LQm3XisuA?t=3m30s

Can you post the link?

In one of the making of videos from last year, an asian woman that works at Naughty Dog talked about that. She talked about it for about a minute. Not verbatim but said if the effects weren't correct, the game would look sterile/dead. If a flashlight is on a red wall it needs to reflect back red. Attention to detail is what makes their games look so good, other companies don't have a chance because they just throw effects all over the place.

That I had noticed before, but making it bounce off actual moving models is something else oO

Anyone happen to have a link for that making of video?

Arne, how's the atmosphere over there at the moment? Champagne, caviar and cocaine on every desk?

Amazing work man, I hope everyone is pumped.

I hope not, U4 won't make it self.

Sorian

Banned
I tried both, and the Triangle didn't even appear over the card-reader until they were both dead.

The triangle wouldn't appear over the card reader for me until I tried jiggling the door, I only killed a single runner in that room though before leaving. Lured the bloater downstairs and then booked it upstairs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was also able to do it. just started the generator and ran like hell. got to the keycard reader and opened the door before anyone got to me. My heart was beating SO fast...

Playing on Hard.

Playing on normal and that's exactly what I did, too.

Was so damn intense. I loved that part.

arne

Arne, how's the atmosphere over there at the moment? Champagne, caviar and cocaine on every desk?

Amazing work man, I hope everyone is pumped.

Most of the folks are taking some time off. So if there's any rock and roll excess, it's not in the studio. Then, there are those of us who are here... :p

I think we're all pretty stoked at the apparent awesome sales we are reading about, and coming off the high of good reviews. It's been great to work on a great game like this - and I think many, if not everyone, shares that sentiment. :)

Mupod

too bad the PS3 has no share button because I had the scariest death not too long ago. Was stalking a guy who walked into an alley between houses, but when I turned the corner he wasn't there. He had nowhere to go.

I walk forward a bit, he magically appears from thin air and murders the shit out of me. Jumped out of my seat. I then respawned at some totally random checkpoint in the middle of nowhere.

But yeah, the game's insane detail and polish makes bugs stand out more. Things like AI characters not abiding by stealth doesn't bother me much though.

Vire

Most of the folks are taking some time off. So if there's any rock and roll excess, it's not in the studio. Then, there are those of us who are here... :p

I think we're all pretty stoked at the apparent awesome sales we are reading about, and coming off the high of good reviews. It's been great to work on a great game like this - and I think many, if not everyone, shares that sentiment. :)

1. Great Sales (Sold out everywhere practically)

2. Tremendous Reviews

3. Mostly all super positive feedback from fans.

What more could you want? :p

Congrats again on such a phenomenal game. Honestly, my favorite game of the entire generation.

Sorian

Banned
too bad the PS3 has no share button because I had the scariest death not too long ago. Was stalking a guy who walked into an alley between houses, but when I turned the corner he wasn't there. He had nowhere to go.

I walk forward a bit, he magically appears from thin air and murders the shit out of me. Jumped out of my seat. I then respawned at some totally random checkpoint in the middle of nowhere.

But yeah, the game's insane detail and polish makes bugs stand out more. Things like AI characters not abiding by stealth doesn't bother me much though.

I've had weird houdini hunters as well. I ain't even mad, I'm loving the tense jump scares.

dab0ne

Beat it earlier today and im about to do a playthrough plus. If they port this to the PS4 I'll buy it again, day one, for $60.

85%, the game gets very difficult when you have to
play as Ellie
also,
Tell them that Ellie is the little girl who broke your fucking finger
is one of the best lines in gaming history

Top Bottom