• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Okay, finally got past that part just by bolting. That was really bad, I lost a lot of resources I shouldn't have in that part...

Anyway, does anyone have a list of all the toolkit locations? I only found 2 so far

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Dude... I am having the worst luck with this digital version.

Getting horrid fucking speeds from the servers... like worse even than PSN! Even after I wired directly to the router.

Okay, fine whatever, go do something else for a while. Come back a few hours later and my fucking PS3 is off. Wtf!? Never has my system ever turned off before during a download.

Boot system back up... it's sitting at 12%, must have switched off just mins after I left the room. I think this is the last time I go digital on anything other than small indie games. Might have been a great idea in theory, but it's dicking me over so hard irl.

Vire

Ellie's knife is there

Also more super cool easter eggs...

Don't read if you haven't beat the game:

Open Ellie's backpack up when you take control of her, all sorts of really neat stuff in it exclusive to her. (A Note from her mom, Sam's toy, Riley's pendant among other little things)

finished yesterday. clocked in at 17:22, normal/listen mode off. i surprised it didn't take me longer with the way i play: stealth/room clearer. loved the banter, the quiet moments, and ellie's excitement for things she had never seen/experienced. ND outdid themselves over and over as the game went on. i'm starting to wonder if there's a season/place/theme they're afraid to take on. the only other game that's made me grip my controller this hard is demon's souls, and the only other game to make me push an analog stick so hard is journey. journey and the last of us are the only games that have made me want the characters to succeed so much.

ok now to the important stuff :p

been playing some mp, mostly supply raid, and i need some gaf peeps to group up with.

Do they have a PS3 controller with rumble built into it?
dualshock 3. are you using the sixaxis controller?

Bladenic

Also more super cool easter eggs...

Don't read if you haven't beat the game:

Open Ellie's backpack up when you take control of her, all sorts of really neat stuff in it exclusive to her. (A Note from her mom, Sam's toy, Riley's pendant among other little things)

Just posted on the last page. Except it was at the very bottom so easily missed.

Kureizu

You're on track for probably 25 to 30 hours lol.

Yeah looks that way lol.

I just love to play stealthy in this game and take my time in every encounter. It's really satisfying.

I'm also exploring every corner for materials, artifacts and stuff.

I'm 38% in after about 4 and a half hours, and the way some of you talk about the game I was actually surprised to find myself so far in. I feel like...not that much has happened so far.

Also, the bow and arrow is awesome. I really want to get good with this thing, because I could see it becoming my best friend. High risk, high reward. If you miss, you're screwed. If you nail your shot, you're the man.

Another thing I hate is the sequences where you and a few AI partners will have to clamber over something or climb a ladder, and the game forces you to be the last one through. Oftentimes I try to find off some infected to get where i'm going, but more end up coming and I lose a ton of health just trying to get where I'm supposed to go. Very annoying.

One of the most egregious instances (again, 38% in):
When I was trying to get into the high school, and that window gets opened, I was the first one there, saw the infected coming, and couldn't get through until both other people had gone through. I had to lose a bunch of health even after they went through because the game apparently wasn't ready to let me through. All because it wanted to show some stupid cutscene.

traveler

Not Wario
The bow is my favorite weapon in the game. Incredibly satisfying to fire a long distance shot off and watch with baited breath to see that satisfying thud and slump a moment later, with none of the other enemies in the area the wiser.

Yes, it's just not available yet overall.

I realize this might be a little redundant for this particular title given the documentary just discussed, but would you guys ever consider doing a Valve style in game commentary for one of your games? (Not necessarily the Last of Us as it's already done obviously) I think the linear rollercoaster rides that both the HL2 series and your third person shooters are lend themselves well to that kind of behind the scenes format, and make subsequent playthroughs even more enjoyable.

Gorillaz

Dude... I am having the worst luck with this digital version.

Getting horrid fucking speeds from the servers... like worse even than PSN! Even after I wired directly to the router.

Okay, fine whatever, go do something else for a while. Come back a few hours later and my fucking PS3 is off. Wtf!? Never has my system ever turned off before during a download.

Boot system back up... it's sitting at 12%, must have switched off just mins after I left the room. I think this is the last time I go digital on anything other than small indie games. Might have been a great idea in theory, but it's dicking me over so hard irl.

I remember getting PlayStation all stars on digital. ..shit was terrible never again will I go through an experience like that for psn....havnt bout a full game digital from them since

antitrop

It took me like 2 hours to download Journey on PSN. I would never even think about buying a full retail game from those awful servers.

How the hell are Henry and Sam brothers? If Henry was 5 when the outbreak started and Sam is only 14, then those were some irresponsible parents. Who the hell has another kid in the midst of society collapsing by fungus zombies?

antitrop

How the hell are Henry and Sam brothers? If Henry was 5 when the outbreak started and Sam is only 14, then those were some irresponsible parents. Who the hell has another kid in the midst of society collapsing by fungus zombies?
I thought Henry's dialogue makes it seem that Sam was lying about his age for Ellie.

Or at least that's what I took away from it.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
I don't really get the complaints about the forced walking sections I'm reading here and there. So far I was able to speed up each of those with L2.

antitrop

You're playing this with a sixaxis? Wow, you are missing out. You need to play it with a DualShock 3. The rumble just makes it so much better.
There's a difference between the Sixaxis and the Dualshock 3?

I'm assuming DS3 has rumble. Fuck, now I do feel like I'm missing out. I didn't even know they made a Dualshock 3.

This game seems made for it. :( At least as a PC gamer I'm used to not having force feedback. I'm certainly not going to go out and buy a new controller for one game. Disappointing. :(

Animal

Banned
So I just got into an open area with many baddies. I stealth kill every single one of them and then Joel auto-un-crouches as usual when an area is clear.

Being the OCD that I am I recrouch and listen. A guy just spawned and is standing still on the other side of the wall next to me. I stealth kill him.

There are no baddies in my listening range so i sneak around back towards Ellie. Low and behold I find baddies spawned and standing still (alone or in pairs) of two all around the edge of the area.

I stealth kill them all with my super sneak skills. Cut scene follows as if I didn't sneak them all.

traveler

Not Wario
End of Summer spoilers DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FALL TITLE SCREEN APPEAR
Is there just 1 death scene for Sam and Henry? I wasn't sure when Sam was bit, but I thought it might have been at the end of the sniper scene where you see both Sam and Henry get jumped. I only had time to shoot 1 of the infected, so I was wondering if the character you don't shoot the infected off of gets infected, while the other commits suicide afterwards or if it's always the same.

Gorillaz

So its still not loading .. just stuck on the loading screen...did a hard reboot like 5 times tried different saves and cleaned the disc

Is this fucking game bout to brick my ps3....because I

kno from friends first hand ND games have had a tendency to do a number on ps3 especially if it is already old...this can't be happening

traveler

Not Wario
What is the name of the song that plays during the Spore loading screen?

Could be wrong, but I think the game cycles through a number of different pieces during the title screen and whatever happens to be playing at the time you load up the game plays during your load screen as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Turned off listen mode.

End of hotel spoilers:
After having died 5 or 6 times to the bloater with listen mode on, I just wanted to prove to myself I could do it, so I decided to kill him and all the stalkers instead of running. I checked around the basement for anything I'd missed, and went into my inventory. Had enough for a molotov and still had one, and a nail bomb.

I flipped the generator and ran upstairs. I started stalking the rooms for the first infected. With listen mode off, you really listen to the sounds the different infected types make and how close they are. It's infinitely better, if HELLISHLY SCARIER and tougher in terms of gameplay. One ran around the bathroom door and started to claw at me. Pull out the shotgun and blew him apart. That got the big guy's attention. Ran all the way to the dead end by the keycard door and crouched. Heard his footsteps getting closer. Lights flickered. He came around the corner and immediately threw spores at my hiding spot. Rushed straight at him and hit him with a molotov.

I hadn't hit a bloater with a molotov before. These things do NOT like fire. It starts stumbling around like an idiot, and I switch to the hunting rifle and pierce its head at five or six feet out. When it starts to get its composure back, I flip to the nail bomb, back way up, and throw it at the ground in front of me. I swear the bloater paused like it knew something was up. A second later it had no legs and flew helplessly through the air toward me, a now-lifeless sack of fail. I actually laughed out loud. The two remaining stalkers ran around the corner from all the noise and threatened me. "Come on!" I could feel Joel's adrenaline pumping. Killed both with one shotgun blast. Reloaded, turned around and put the keycard in the door.

Can't imagine a better moment to stop using listen mode. No kidding, this is how the game was meant to be played. I can understand not wanting the challenge and just wanting to experience the story, but the quality of the gameplay spiked by 544%.

End of Summer spoilers
Is there just 1 death scene for Sam and Henry? I wasn't sure when Sam was bit, but I thought it might have been at the end of the sniper scene where you see both Sam and Henry get jumped. I only had time to shoot 1 of the infected, so I was wondering if the character you don't shoot the infected off of gets infected, while the other commits suicide afterwards or if it's always the same.

it's always the same.

Question if someone can answer.

Did I miss an optional conversation or something involving (70~% according to save file)
monkeys at the university? I thought following the monkeys would continue the story, so I went into other areas first, but then I accidentally triggered something at the next gate that made Ellie get off the horse, and I had to go through an entire section in the building before I could open the gate for Ellie and the horse. And of COURSE, the gate closed back behind me, so I couldn't go back and check.

Thanks. :)

So its still not loading .. just stuck on the loading screen...did a hard reboot like 5 times tried different saves and cleaned the disc

Is this fucking game bout to brick my ps3....because I

kno from friends first hand ND games have had a tendency to do a number on ps3 especially if it is already old...this can't be happening
How about trying to play it while you're logged off of PSN?

Holyshiiiiiit I love this game. Pretty sure I'm right near the end of the game, have about 14 hours logged. This seriously might end up being my GOTY, and I really didn't think anything was going to top Bioshock.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
End of Summer spoilers

Ehhh I thought the game started in Summer and I was in Fall now so read that (I'm at 56%) and that just spoiled me. Not your fault, didn't expect summer to last 60% of the game.

antitrop

Holyshiiiiiit I love this game. Pretty sure I'm right near the end of the game, have about 14 hours logged. This seriously might end up being my GOTY, and I really didn't think anything was going to top Bioshock.
The entire time I was playing Bioshock Infinite I was thinking "I'm probably going to end up calling this my game of the year after I finish it, and then pass that crown to The Last of Us."

Turns out Bioshock Infinite was my game of the generation (I liked it way more than I thought I was going to...) and I'm STILL prepared to pass that crown onto The Last of Us.

I'm enjoying this more than Resident Evil 4. RE4 had a shit story, shit characters, and some of the best gameplay of all time, which was enough for me to consider it the greatest game of that generation. The Last of Us is the total package.

The entire time I was playing Bioshock Infinite I was thinking "I'm probably going to end up calling this my game of the year after I finish it, and then pass that crown to The Last of Us."

Turns out Bioshock Infinite was my game of the generation (I liked it way more than I thought I was going to...) and I'm STILL prepared to pass that crown onto The Last of Us.

I'm enjoying this more than Resident Evil 4.

Have you even got to the second half of the game yet?

lol

The Lamp

-Some of the minor things like strangling a guy whose screaming to death and not notifying other people around them is a bit hokey.

Uh, context. There were plenty of times I strangled someone and the people around heard me. It depends on proximity, line of sight, and whether you're using a shiv or not.

Top Bottom