• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Question about human encounters: Are the numbers of hunters fixed or does alerting any of them spawns reinforcements?

ShogunX

So many sexual innuendos when playing multiplayer.

Apparently members of my faction are both ''Smoking meat'' and ''Spit roasting a raccoon''.

Maybe I just need to grow up.

Terra_Ex

Just finished it and I can only echo what's already been said a thousand times - amazing game, really drew me into the world and kept me hooked till the last minute. Now to start my survivor playthrough.

antitrop

All I can say for Bioshock Infinite is that it's lucky it came out before The Last of Us.

After seeing a character like Ellie, my relationship with Elizabeth would absolutely not have been as powerful.

So 93% done and I'm getting a real bad feeling about how it's all going to end. It can't be this simple or happy. No, this ain't that kind of game or story or genre. And ND has developed these characters so well...I'm scared for them

Doran902

Question about human encounters: Are the numbers of hunters fixed or does alerting any of them spawns reinforcements?

i believes its fixed, the hunter sections seem to be the ones where you have to kill them all and it seems scripted when more arrived

thats just from what i have seen, if someone else knows for sure............

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It doesnt alert any infected iirc, you only need to switch it off if you are sneaking around against soldiers
Correct, runners and stalkers can't detect changes in light (though it doesn't really matter for stalkers) and Clickers and Bloaters can't see. You lose your vision gradually as the infection takes over.

DatDude

Banned
All I can say for Bioshock Infinite is that it's lucky it came out before The Last of Us.

After seeing a character like Ellie, my relationship with Elizabeth would absolutely not have been as powerful.

I can't wait till you finish the game and tell us what you think of ellie compared to liz than.

MrGummy

ok, beat it last night. Have to say that it's a really really good game.

The crafting system added a much needed and refreshing element to a genre that was stale to me.. Never had some much fun kiting enemies into my traps.

Basically this has been my best TPS experience in a long time.

Sorian

Banned

It doesn't spawn reinforcements from what I have seen but it will call in the reinforcements from another area. For example, I was making my way up a building. On a certain floor there were 3 hunters that I could seeon my floor and my listen mode saw a guy or two upstairs from the range I was in. Alerting one of the 3 downstairs made it so I was suddenly fighting 7 guys. After dispatching them, I found that no one was upstairs which means I had effectively taken care of both floors at once.

Beat the game in two sittings. No, it doesn't mean I beat it quick it just means I actually enjoyed the game so much that I played for like 5 hours one day and 8 the next. I haven't done this since Jak 2 on PS2.

Loved the game, truly like nothing I've played before. For me the game-play and design decisions are really what made the game stand out, and could turn some people off. I thought it was refreshing and added a lot of realism to the game itself. I was really forced to pay attention, plan, scavenge, and think about what my next move was. I loved it. The story was superb, and I loved the ending. Oh, and I never used listening mode, it took me out of the experience, I just kept my surround system turned up.

Man just finished, wow what a ride. All in all great game, I played it like Metal Gear for the most part, sticking with stealth kills and bricks/melee until I was caught. Also had a tendency to murder nearly everything in sight, though I did avoid clickers when possible.

Ended with 547 kills, 38 deaths (mainly clickers) on normal. Really should have played it on hard, at times it was dead simple to clear the room with just silent takedowns. Took me a total of ~14 1/2 hours to finish.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
It doesn't spawn reinforcements from what I have seen but it will call in the reinforcements from another area. For example, I was making my way up a building. On a certain floor there were 3 hunters that I could seeon my floor and my listen mode saw a guy or two upstairs from the range I was in. Alerting one of the 3 downstairs made it so I was suddenly fighting 7 guys. After dispatching them, I found that no one was upstairs which means I had effectively taken care of both floors at once.
Ah, that makes sense. Because I went through a section where I broke my stealth a couple of times and ended up fighting what felt like 10 hunters. When I redid the area without any mistakes I fought what felt like the same amount only spread out.

Yerolo

Can someone break down the whole "seasons" thing? I'm 38% into the game and I feel like I haven't seen a single mention of any seasons.

I think the first half of the game is in summer (although there isnt a title telling you that), then the seasons change to Fall, Winter & Spring..its pretty obvious when they change. Sounds like you may still be in Summer

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So its still not loading .. just stuck on the loading screen...did a hard reboot like 5 times tried different saves and cleaned the disc

Is this fucking game bout to brick my ps3....because I

kno from friends first hand ND games have had a tendency to do a number on ps3 especially if it is already old...this can't be happening

So I had this happen with Uncharted 2. It would always get stuck on the spinning dagger and never load. (Every other game in my collection was fine, just UC2 was fubar) I bought another copy of the game, thinking maybe my disc was damaged, but it wasn't the disc.

For over a year I couldn't get UC2 to work.

Around the same time I had an issue with my profile, I couldn't sync trophies. Now, I cannot recall exactly what I did to fix all this, but it wasn't really anything to do with the game data or patches.

I tried booting into safe mode and rebuilding the database. Even wiped my system and redownloaded everything. Didn't work (don't do that!) I'm pretty sure what eventually fixed everything: I had to redownload the PS3 firmware and install it via USB device and that fixed (iirc) my profile/trophies and subsequently allowed me to play UC2 again!

If you cannot get the game to work any other way... consider that, it's not so hard to do. You have to boot into safe mode and do a couple tings, but there are a bunch of tutorials or whatever online or on youtube.

Hopefully if nothing else works that might. It fixed UC2 for me.

kingocfs

This is finally coming tomorrow, can't fucking wait.

What's the verdict on the difficulty from those who finished it? Should I start on hard?

Yes...made it. So bloaters are blind like clickers, I guess?

I guess so, since the infection continues over time. I though they could see at first because I kept getting run down by them. You can lead them with a brick or bottle, which is handy.

I've had a much better experience with the Multiplayer since Day one.
Communication is a MUST. You will be able to see or 'hear' you teammates getting flanked or snuck up on and you have to be able to tell them. Since my restart I'm only on week 2 but I beat my challenge and I have ~44 people in my group. I have yet to miss a day without supplies but it's getting damn hard. another few matches and people will start to go hungry.

Vire

I honestly believe had it come out after The Last of Us it wouldn't have gotten nearly the scores it got.

That's not to say it isn't a great game still, it is. But this one absolutely dwarfs it in terms of writing.

Sorry Ken.

antitrop

There's a feeling you get in your gut when you're playing the greatest game of the generation up to that point.

I had it with Resident Evil 4.

I had it with Red Dead.

I had it with Bioshock Infinite just a few short months ago.

I'm having it right now.

DatDude

Banned
There's a feeling you get in your gut when you're playing the greatest game of the generation up to that point.

I had it with Resident Evil 4.

I had it with Red Dead.

I'm having it right now.

The only shitty part is that you know this great experience has to eventually end :(

traveler

Not Wario

I had it with Red Dead.

I'm having it right now.

Wow, you're going to have a blast when you finally get around to playing the Galaxies, HL2:Ep.2, DKCR, Dota 2, and Portal 2. :p

reKon

Banned
I talked to one of my family friends playing it right now and I asked him how far he was (I haven't played much PS3 in the past year). He replied that he was a little over halfway and then he also thanked me for showing him Uncharted and ND... this game must be incredible, lol.

Will probably pick up in a few months once I have the time to play it

Raymo

This game is having effects on me that no other game has really matched. I'll need to step away after certain sections to just relax for a bit and breath. Then, 30 minutes later I'm craving more.

traveler

Not Wario
DKCR, DOTA 2, Portal 2 are nowhere near the top for me.

HL2:EP2 and the SMG games... now were talking.

This is getting ot, but I could probably play Dota 2 at the expense of every other game for the rest of my life. The heights of most games can't touch the average match of Dota for me.

DatDude

Banned
I feel really pissed that I never focused and upgrade the bow.

It's so damn powerful, and results in silent kills to boot.

2 shots to the clickers and tehre dead with the bow.

Girlfriend came home and I had to finish at 97% tonight. No way do I want to play through the ending while being constantly distracted. Will just wait until tomorrow. Ended on quite the cliffhanger too.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For those who are ahead of me and upgraded a fair number of skills, what would suggest to upgrade before I waste my precious pills? Right now I only have 1 Maximum Health and 1 Weapon Sway slots unlocked.

I've got 75 pills... and I'm not worried about the Listen Mode upgrades, so:
Crafting Speed, Healing Speed, or Shiv Master? Or should I save them until I upgrade Weapon Sway or Max Health?

I'm incredibly indecisive to begin with, so a game with this limited supplies is killing me.

(Playing on Hard, fwiw)

kasane

I new game plused and I'm already at
Lincoln
and i still don't have my upgrades and stuff. Did i do something wrong?

sunnz

Playing on Survivor...

The lack of supplies is more annoying that challenging.

Very fun though with the difficulty.

traveler

Not Wario
For those who are ahead of me and upgraded a fair number of skills, what would suggest to upgrade before I waste my precious pills? Right now I only have 1 Maximum Health and 1 Weapon Sway slots unlocked.

I've got 75 pills... and I'm not worried about the Listen Mode upgrades, so:
Crafting Speed, Healing Speed, or Shiv Master? Or should I save them until I upgrade Weapon Sway or Max Health?

I did the two you did first and think they're heads and tails above the rest, so you may wish to just save up and upgrade those again. I also did Shiv Master, which I like but OCD kind of compels me not to use unless I have more than 1 shiv on hand. (Hate seeing those shiv doors with no supplies around and no shiv to spare.)

I craft before encounters, so outside the odd mid fight scavenge emergency, crafting speed seems largely irrelevant to me. Healing speed could be useful though.

Top Bottom