• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

traveler

Not Wario
Ehhh I thought the game started in Summer and I was in Fall now so read that (I'm at 56%) and that just spoiled me. Not your fault, didn't expect summer to last 60% of the game.

My bad. I got spoiled in a similar manner on another event. I'll try and make it a little more explicit in the warning so no one else gets hit.

antitrop

I'm saying that if you're loving the game this much so far, the hyperbole is gonna flow from every pore in your body once you get to the second half.
Ya, I would say there was only maybe a good 30-45 minutes of the first half where I wasn't completely satisfied by the way the game was going.

Dodging the garden of Clickers with Bill was one of those sections. I was frustrated by how long it took him to open the door, the Clicker would always spot me just before I was able to get through the door. Took me at least 15 tries, including some fucked up checkpointing where I actually got past that door, then died, then got sent back to the beginning of the garden. Which is not the way that checkpoint is supposed to work.

I think I enjoyed the first half of this game a bit more than most, though. Even the people who are really high on the game overall after finishing it.

Vire

Ya, I would say there was only maybe a good 30-45 minutes of the first half where I wasn't completely satisfied by the way the game was going.

Dodging the garden of Clickers with Bill was one of those sections. I was frustrated by how long it took him to open the door, the Clicker would always spot me just before I was able to get through the door.

I think I enjoyed the first half of this game a bit more than most, though. Even the people who are really high on the game overall after finishing it.

This is the only part in the entire game I flat out did not like. Way too many in that section, cut of used some fat trimming there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Enjoying the game. Still early days, but enjoying it. About an 8/10 experience for me so far.

This is the only part in the entire game I flat out did not like. Way too many in that section, cut of used some fat trimming there.

Is this before or after the school? because if it's the part I'm thinking of and it's before, I didn't find that part that troubling at all. I avoided pretty much every area that had clickers and took out ones I had to with the bow.

traveler

Not Wario
I didn't find the garden substantially different from the underground terminal section earlier where you first encounter a horde of clickers. Molotovs solve either if you're frustrated with trying to "ghost" your way through.

antitrop

Is this before or after the school? because if it's the part I'm thinking of and it's before, I didn't find that part that troubling at all. I avoided pretty much every area that had clickers and took out ones I had to with the bow.

I think the part I'm talking about specifically may have been a cemetery, but I wasn't paying close enough attention. It's a short stealth section with 3 rooms of 2 Clickers each, and at the end you have to wait for Bill to open a locked door for you. In an extremely small area. With 2 patrolling Clickers and nowhere to hide.

I thought that section was pretty poorly designed.

Sorian

Banned

Why? They could put 200 clickers in an area and the basic strategy still stays the same. I can't understand how anybody could get spotted in those areas were there are all clickers.

I think the part I'm talking about specifically may have been a cemetery, but I wasn't paying close enough attention. It's a short stealth section with 3 rooms of 2 Clickers, and at the end you have to wait for Bill to open a locked door for you. In an extremely small area. With 2 patrolling Clickers and nowhere to hide.

And, as an extension, what do you need to hide from?

DatDude

Banned

Dodging the garden of Clickers with Bill was one of those sections. I was frustrated by how long it took him to open the door, the Clicker would always spot me just before I was able to get through the door. Took me at least 15 tries, including some fucked up checkpointing where I actually got past that door, then died, then got sent back to the beginning of the garden. Which is not the way that checkpoint is supposed to work.

It was fun for me. I literally just went all melee and action on there ass.

Was so much fun that way.

I didn't find the garden substantially different from the underground terminal section earlier where you first encounter a horde of clickers. Molotovs solve either if you're frustrated with trying to "ghost" your way through.

That terminal part was actually the most frustrating for me so far, because (besides sneaking through the whole thing without my flashlight on which was a HUGE pain in the ass) I got killed by the last clicker, and every time it reset me the clicker would just instantly attack me. Had to do the section over to fix it, thankfully it was a lot easier the second time through.

I think the part I'm talking about specifically may have been a cemetery, but I wasn't paying close enough attention. It's a short stealth section with 3 rooms of 2 Clickers, and at the end you have to wait for Bill to open a locked door for you. In an extremely small area. With 2 patrolling Clickers and nowhere to hide.

Oh yeah, that's the part I'm talking about. Yeah, I snuck by those guys pretty easily. There was a staircase you could hide on.

But yeah, on the topic of bill, one of my main gripes with the game is the way AI characters behave. They TEAR ASS all over the place. I'll be sneaking through a room full of clickers and all you hear is my AI partner running around the room. I've actually had Bill run into Clickers and fire his shotgun.

I just blasted all the clickers in that garden with the shotgun. They ended up all dropping shotgun/magnum ammo and nail bombs too, so I ended up with more than I went in with

Sorian

Banned
That terminal part was actually the most frustrating for me so far, because (besides sneaking through the whole thing without my flashlight on which was a HUGE pain in the ass) I got killed by the last clicker, and every time it reset me the clicker would just instantly attack me. Had to do the section over to fix it, thankfully it was a lot easier the second time through.

Why didn't you have your flashlight on?

traveler

Not Wario
Why? They could put 200 clickers in an area and the basic strategy still stays the same. I can't understand how anybody could get spotted in those areas were there are all clickers.

Yeah, clickers only become frightening when other enemies are present to force you to engage and make noise. Playing slowly and cautiously (with plenty of bricks and bottles) is all that's needed for groups composed of just clickers.

Ashes

Banned
Just finished. Some flaws. Still one of the best games of the year. Definitely in the top ten per cent of games. A-
But going with the way games are rated. 96% is probably fair.
Naughty Dog has three games of the generation nominations for me. Well played.

antitrop

Hide from the 6 Clickers that are patrolling the tiny area while I wait for Bill to fumble with a fucking door.

It's not that big of a deal, just easily the most frustrating and poorly thought out area I've come across in the game so far. Actually, the only frustrating and poorly thought out area. Which is why it sticks out like a sore thumb.

DatDude

Banned
Unless the second half of the game completely sucks ass I don't see any way this won't be my GOTG.

I'm at 52% now.

If you've enjoyed what you've experienced so far, than expect the 2nd half to just take a giant shit on what you just experienced.

The 2nd half is why this game is as good as it is.

Jibbed

I've just finished watching a full non-commentated playthrough* of the game and just wow, serious GOTY contender right here.

All I want to say really is how gutted I am I couldn't experience this first hand because it quite frankly blew me away. Well done ND, you've finished this generation aptly with one of the best games ever made IMO.

*Did the same with Uncharted 3 seeing as I no longer own a PS3, and surprisingly found both really enjoyable and engaging to watch.

Please tell me someone has some strategies for the Spring section
Underground tunnel. I'm up to the two Bloaters, Clickers, and Runners. Got about 100 flamethrower fuel, a smoke bomb, a four hit plank with spike, pistol rounds, revolver rounds, and one sawn off.

Can you just run past and boost Ellie up?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
The bow is my favorite weapon in the game. Incredibly satisfying to fire a long distance shot off and watch with baited breath to see that satisfying thud and slump a moment later, with none of the other enemies in the area the wiser.

I realize this might be a little redundant for this particular title given the documentary just discussed, but would you guys ever consider doing a Valve style in game commentary for one of your games? (Not necessarily the Last of Us as it's already done obviously) I think the linear rollercoaster rides that both the HL2 series and your third person shooters are lend themselves well to that kind of behind the scenes format, and make subsequent playthroughs even more enjoyable.

Yeah the bow is awesome, had my biggest "fuck yeah" moment of the entire game with it. I shot a dude right in the head in a house across the street. Dunno what makes it special, but I think it has something to do with the arc of the arrow. It makes it extra satisfying when you connect.

I remember that there was commentary in Jak3, but those were only for the cutscenes. Maybe that 90 minutes documentary will give us some insights in the design process. Really wanna see that!

Underground tunnel. I'm up to the two Bloaters, Clickers, and Runners. Got about 100 flamethrower fuel, a smoke bomb, a four hit plank with spike, pistol rounds, revolver rounds, and one sawn off.

You can sneak past. I've seen a fellow NeoGAFer do it on Survival

Yerolo

I tried to run past and boost her up, but the triangle prompt was faded out, so I assume you couldnt activate it whilst in combat. I couldnt see any way to stealth that area as the bloater and clickers were blocking that entire passageway

I tried to run past and boost her up, but the triangle prompt was faded out, so I assume you couldnt activate it whilst in combat. I couldnt see any way to stealth that area as the bloater and clickers were blocking that entire passageway

you can stealth kill the three runners in the right hallway. outside, there's two runners in that last section, one right down to your left(easy fucker to miss), and one across from you. Take them out with arrows if you have any, they're silent and one-shot kills to the head. Then use those bottles right besides you to lure the Bloaters/Clickers away from the area you need to be in, and sneak past them

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah the bow is awesome, had my biggest "fuck yeah" moment of the entire game with it. I shot a dude right in the head in a house across the street. Dunno what makes it special, but I think it has something to do with the arc of the arrow. It makes it extra satisfying when you connect.

I remember that there was commentary in Jak3, but those were only for the cutscenes. Maybe that 90 minutes documentary will give us some insights in the design process. Really wanna see that!

It requires skill to utilize its timing and arc correctly, incurs risk with its limited, breakable ammunition and attention drawing in the case of a miss, and rewards successful shots with high damage for one shot, "silent" kills, and potentially reusable ammunition. It also has one hell of a range when upgraded. Doesn't hurt that the visual feedback, both for drawing the weapon and for landing a good shot, is so satisfying. In short, it does everything right.

Sorian

Banned
you can stealth kill the three runners in the right hallway. outside, there's two runners in that last section, one right down to your left(easy fucker to miss), and one across from you. Take them out with arrows if you have any, they're silent and one-shot kills to the head. Then use those bottles right besides you to lure the Bloaters/Clickers away from the area you need to be in, and sneak past them
Fuck...I had snuck through, boosted Ellie up, she kicks the box down...and then a runner comes and preoccupies me enough for a clicker to get me.

TripleSun

Can someone break down the whole "seasons" thing? I'm 38% into the game and I feel like I haven't seen a single mention of any seasons.

I'm like 81% in the game and so far all it really means to me is that they skip time periods. Like Fall and Winter, etc. If there is a bigger meaning, I don't know.

The Lamp

I stealth'd it. It was simple
Hug the left wall with a bottle/brick, throw one to the far right corner so the clickers/bloaters investigate that area. Take out the last clicker on the left that's by himself, either shiv or bow or melee weapon. There are like 3 more bottles/bricks on the way so you can refill if you want. You can then boost up to the top having not engaged any of them. The runner that More_Badass is talking about, luckily, just ignored me as he patroled the area.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've just finished watching a full non-commentated playthrough* of the game and just wow, serious GOTY contender right here.

All I want to say really is how gutted I am I couldn't experience this first hand because it quite frankly blew me away. Well done ND, you've finished this generation aptly with one of the best games ever made IMO.

*Did the same with Uncharted 3 seeing as I no longer own a PS3, and surprisingly found both really enjoyable and engaging to watch.
I can't even imagine doing this, the cerebral fear you get while playing is a pretty intense part of the experience, even if it doesn't happen that often.

It requires skill to utilize its timing and arc correctly, incurs risk with its limited, breakable ammunition and attention drawing in the case of a miss, and rewards successful shots with high damage for one shot, "silent" kills, and potentially reusable ammunition. It also has one hell of a range when upgraded. Doesn't hurt that the visual feedback, both for drawing the weapon and for landing a good shot, is so satisfying. In short, it does everything right.

It's just a damn shame that it's too late to be the best of the #yearofthebow

squidyj

Okay first of all on your right hand side there's a side hallway which if I remember correctly will have enough stuff to let you craft a shiv. there's a bunch of runners in there but you can just choke em out one by one.

then on the opposite side there's a walkway with a clicker on it, you can shiv the clicker and just sneak past. there's a runner in the water but he shouldn't be able to see you, if he can see you then it's easy enough to just choke him out before you go for the clicker.

If you can't craft the shiv then i'm not sure but I think if you just melee the clicker it might not alert anybody else, alternatively, find a bottle and once you're in position near the clicker throw it somewhere relatively near by and just sneak past. for this bottle throw I would recommend taking out both runners in that area first, you can sneak up on both of them.

once you're past the clicker just carry on, getting ellie to drop the crate wont alert the bloaters.

The only other thing you need to look out for is just make sure you watch the one bloater's patrol.

Plumpman

Brick chain :)

I actually skipped playing this last night...too mentally drained (by real life) for this.

Hopefully, I'll play again tonight!
I'm right after the part where Bill and us finds out that there's no battery in the truck

Doran902

so yeah, 71 percent in, 10 hours, definitely the best gave i've played this year at least

so good i went and bought the season pass and downloaded the making of doc so i can watch when i finish it

also ordering the art book off amazon

Top Bottom