• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

For those who are ahead of me and upgraded a fair number of skills, what would suggest to upgrade before I waste my precious pills? Right now I only have 1 Maximum Health and 1 Weapon Sway slots unlocked.

I've got 75 pills... and I'm not worried about the Listen Mode upgrades, so:
Crafting Speed, Healing Speed, or Shiv Master? Or should I save them until I upgrade Weapon Sway or Max Health?

I'm incredibly indecisive to begin with, so a game with this limited supplies is killing me.

(Playing on Hard, fwiw)

Definitely do at least one in Shiv Master - that will prevent some deaths via clickers. I mean, I found it useful - more useful than many of the other ones. Maxing weapon sway is alright as well. Those are the two most important ones, imo.

It's crazy seeing damn near everyone giving glowing reviews for the game after they've played it.
I'm in the winter area and damn it's so good right now I don't want it to ever end. I hope the DLC for SP is good.

traveler

Not Wario
Sounds brutal, but I'm down

It's not that bad. You may find it strange to explore so much and yet find so little after the scavenging of other games, like BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider, but I feel you don't even really feel the scarcity effect unless you're playing at this level. (And even then, you may find yourself loaded through some sections)

CSX

I don't like survival horror and i'm starting to lean towards giving up. If i do give up, sorry game. I just have a weak heart. But I have enjoyed the game up to this point

elcapitan

I finally beat the game, and as much as I want to jump back in with Survivor mode, I gotta take some time to process everything. That ending really sticks with you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's not that bad. You may find it strange to explore so much and yet find so little after the scavenging of other games, like BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider, but I feel you don't even really feel the scarcity effect unless you're playing at this level. (And even then, you may find yourself loaded through some sections)
If you save your ammo for when you really need it, you'll be stocked. But then, after a really close call you might be left with very little and have to scrounge a lot.

televator

It's crazy seeing damn near everyone giving glowing reviews for the game after they've played it.
I'm in the winter area and damn it's so good right now I don't want it to ever end. I hope the DLC for SP is good.

It definitely deserves "glowing" praise. It does very good things and adds to the yet small but hopefully growing pool of games with good narratives. However the perfect 10/10 scores were a bit over the top.

Its not the difficulty. I'm doing fine. It's just the goddam suspense and occasional jumpscares.

Use the listen mode then, and slow down and just play it like a stealth game, check corners and behind you when entering buildings. Listen mode more or less takes away most of the jumpscares

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how much exploration there is in the game. I mean, it's nothing super amazing, but compared to something like Uncharted, it's a breath of fresh air. So many optional buildings to enter, some of which have conversations and such. I really hope the next Uncharted is more open like this.

DatDude

Banned
Is that with the upgrades fully maxed out or...

That's just the regular bow with no upgrades whatsoever. Was surprised how good it was. Best weapon in the game probably. Just never really used it for whatever reason...probably would've made alot of the stealth encounters easier.

DrBo42

I've actually been pleasantly surprised at how much exploration there is in the game. I mean, it's nothing super amazing, but compared to something like Uncharted, it's a breath of fresh air. So many optional buildings to enter, some of which have conversations and such. I really hope the next Uncharted is more open like this.

How do we go back to Uncharted after this?

Dartastic

Just got to the first part where there were clickers and normal enemies layered throughout. That was some shit. Haha. I wandered through killing all the clickers though... I had to. But now I'm out of shivs. Ruh roh

DatDude

Banned

Good thing your still quite a few hours off till the end. When I was in winter I thought I was close to being done.

Sean

Banned
For those who are ahead of me and upgraded a fair number of skills, what would suggest to upgrade before I waste my precious pills? Right now I only have 1 Maximum Health and 1 Weapon Sway slots unlocked.

I've got 75 pills... and I'm not worried about the Listen Mode upgrades, so:
Crafting Speed, Healing Speed, or Shiv Master? Or should I save them until I upgrade Weapon Sway or Max Health?

I'm incredibly indecisive to begin with, so a game with this limited supplies is killing me.

(Playing on Hard, fwiw)

I would go with maximum health and weapon sway as those are useful in all situations. I didn't find Shiv Master to be that useful as clickers are kind of easy to deal with already. You can sneak past them, or stun them with a brick, or easily take them out with a melee weapon, or a single shotgun blast etc.

CSX

Use the listen mode then, and slow down and just play it like a stealth game, check corners and behind you when entering buildings. Listen mode more or less takes away most of the jumpscares

I am using it. Ellie is useful when she calls out someone sneaking behind as well. I'm just a scaredy cat T__T

antitrop

60% - The part after
Joel and Sam get split from Henry and Ellie at the trap door

I'm about to have a heart attack. The sounds coming through my headphones were unearthly. My heart is completely thumping out of my chest, it was awesome.

DatDude

Banned
Well think of it like this...
With TLOU under their belt, imagine what they could do with Uncharted 4 on PS4

I'd rather see a TLOU 2 on ps4 honestly than a new UC.

Naughty Dog just seems to have a real talent for drama and emotion. I love UC, but TLOU just so much more potential in my opinion.

TripleSun

I don't like survival horror and i'm starting to lean towards giving up. If i do give up, sorry game. I just have a weak heart. But I have enjoyed the game up to this point

I say the same thing, but I keep pressing on. I HATE survival horror but this game is eenough scripted ND magic that I can do. it :p

Naughty Dog just seems to have a real talent for drama and emotion. I love UC, but TLOU just so much more potential in my opinion.
Of course...so many potential stories to tell in the TLOU world

But they were talking about Uncharted and imagine Uncharted with this kind of exploration and open-ended combat and deeper character development

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I want neither. New IPs seem to really inspire ND to innovate and advance their genres. Keep us guessing.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Girlfriend came home and I had to finish at 97% tonight. No way do I want to play through the ending while being constantly distracted. Will just wait until tomorrow. Ended on quite the cliffhanger too.

Haha, my gf is the opposite. She won't let me play the sp unless she can watch and even then she'll suggest I play mp as well!

squidyj

I did the two you did first and think they're heads and tails above the rest, so you may wish to just save up and upgrade those again. I also did Shiv Master, which I like but OCD kind of compels me not to use unless I have more than 1 shiv on hand. (Hate seeing those shiv doors with no supplies around and no shiv to spare.)

I craft before encounters, so outside the odd mid fight scavenge emergency, crafting speed seems largely irrelevant to me. Healing speed could be useful though.

shiv doors always take priority for me, clickers can often be avoided and beyond them i never really needed shivs for anything. Shiv doors are always a good investment. full of so much good stuff, there was a toolbox in one, training manuals, lots of parts and pills and resources.

How do we go back to Uncharted after this?

Good question. I mean, I love me some Uncharted sometimes, but TLOU is on another level entirely in terms of game design and story.

But they were talking about Uncharted and imagine Uncharted with this kind of exploration and open-ended combat and deeper character development

Yeah, exactly. I would absolutely love to see Uncharted 4 have this kind of exploration and more game mechanics. Even if they are just subsystems like crafting which I find really fun in TLOU for some reason.

i'm still relatively early in the game
just got finished with the museum
and does anyone else not like how bright it is at night? i get that it's a full moon but with no artificial lights it should be pretty damn dark.

Fantasmo

Good thing your still quite a few hours off till the end. When I was in winter I thought I was close to being done.
I'm not sure if I'm alone on this but:
I ignored all of the marketing for this game as much as possible so I had no idea what to expect in terms of length, but being so late in the generation, I figured it'd be a quick experiment. I literally thought Winter was going to be a 5 minute epilogue. I was stunned when I experienced the deer cutscene with David since I didn't know where they were going with it. When I found out Joel was still alive (when she asked for penicillin I was like no way. When I found out there was a Spring after Winter, I nearly shat myself. With all the attention to detail I thought Fall was going to be the end up to that point. Call me crazy, but I thought Joel was dead the minute he fell into the metal pole and that she was going to get captured.

apesh1t

Banned
I posted this before, and didn't get a clear answer but I've been doing some research.

So, in wide open sunny places the textures seem to shift colors (from say, light green to normal green) when I stop rotating the screen. Kind of like texture pop in but with color. I had this problem on Crysis 2 for the 360 and it was never talked about in the review, so I chalked it up to the TV. Well, I was talking to a co worker today who was having the same problem. It was really odd, because he's a casual gamer and for him to spot something like this seemed really out of place. We talked about setting our TVs down to 720p and setting the PS3 down as well, but then I came home and did some research and found that it may be my laser reading the disc. Does anyone know if the graphics are directly read from the disc? I never had this problem with Uncharted 2/3, both of which looked amazing. Or is it normal? I can deal with jaggies on fences and edges but this kind of this is driving me crazy, especially since I've never really had this problem with a PS3 game before.

DatDude

Banned
What kind of new ip would you like Naughty Dog to tackle next gaf?

They have done Fantasy Action Adventure with Jak and Daxter

They have platforming with Crash

They have done racing games with Crash Team Racing (better than mario kart come at me bro .gif, and the jak and daxter racing game).

They have Adevnture/Indiana Jones globe trotting games

Now they have done The Road/Children of Man/The Walking Dead esque survival horror type of game.

So if Naughty Dog was green lit to do a new ip, what would you like it to be?

Personally, some type of bank robbing/the criminal underground esque game is something I would like to see.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just got a little bit into Fall. Goddamn this game is lengthy.

I really liked how after
the very hectic infected stuff that happened when you get split with sam and the other where you hold them off as you wait for the door, there is a pretty wide open scavenge area with all the houses. Nice little cool down.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I really don't get how some of you were able to finish this game in a few sittings. Personally my nerves can't handle more than a couple of hours at a time. Right now I'm in
Pittsburgh's hotel and I just fell off the elevator.
I'm overwhelmed.

Clickers get mixed in with Runners after a point. Getting snuck up on while you're distracted with other enemies is a real pain in the ass. Shiv master is worth it for those situations.

Just got a little bit into Fall. Goddamn this game is lengthy.

I really liked how after
the very hectic infected stuff that happened when you get split with sam and the other where you hold them off as you wait for the door, there is a pretty wide open scavenge area with all the houses. Nice little cool down.

Well you were scavenging those houses, did you see the dialogue between Sam and Ellie playing darts? Dialogue between them seemed so natural

Eleuin

To those playing Mp do you feel you must use listening mode to compete? Is it asmassively overpowered and abused as I'm hearing?

Soler

Banned
To those playing Mp do you feel you must use listening mode to compete? Is it asmassively overpowered and abused as I'm hearing?

I use it a bit to gain an advantage over the run and gun fools

Covert training 2 allows you to be unseen from Listen mode while crouch walking
I use that in conjunction with a bow and silenced 9M
Its pretty good

DatDude

Banned
I'm not sure if I'm alone on this but:
I ignored all of the marketing for this game as much as possible so I had no idea what to expect in terms of length, but being so late in the generation, I figured it'd be a quick experiment. I literally thought Winter was going to be a 5 minute epilogue. I was stunned when I experienced the deer cutscene with David since I didn't know where they were going with it. When I found out Joel was still alive (when she asked for penicillin I was like no way. When I found out there was a Spring after Winter, I nearly shat myself. With all the attention to detail I thought Fall was going to be the end up to that point. Call me crazy, but I thought Joel was dead the minute he fell into the metal pole and that she was going to get captured.

I thought he was dead as well. I was like that's a shitty payoff between these 2 character relationships

jediyoshi

Nope, they don't really give you a lot of it to use and you're super vulnerable while doing it, even in transition period in and out. If you're in an encounter with someone and they've locked down your location, you're pretty much just focused on fighting.

Top Bottom