• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

I think early game is just challenging in general when you don't have a whole lot to work with and you're still getting acclimated to the mechanics and stuff. I thought about dropping the difficulty to normal when I got stuck for a while at the first encounter with infected, and i've been stuck like that a couple times since, but i'm glad I didn't because I feel like I have a much better grasp of the game now. It became a lot easier to deal with when I got a few more weapons, and eventually a better understanding of what all my options were for a given encounter and how to get through them. I definitely did have that same feeling of being taken out of the game through dying many times or restarting encounters, but I think it was worth it in the end. I really can't wait to play NG+ now, and eventually do survivor mode
Good advice, I think I'll stick it out then. I've already noticed the game opening up a bit more now that I'm unlocking new weapons and new mechanics.

I've done pretty well against the human enemies but it's the infected/clickers that have been giving me trouble mostly.

Sickbean

Holy crap, just got to the part at around 45% complete where
Joel falls down an elevator shaft in the hotel and you have to get the keycard and start the generator then run past the bloater to the door
. So tense, only just made it with a sliver of health.

It's taken me 7 hours and 61 deaths to get to this point on hard with listen mode off - am I doing it wrong?? I don't think I've died that many times in Dark Souls!

Really enjoying the game so far, excited that people seem to think it gets better from here.

It also passes the 'will my wife sit and watch me play it test' which is pretty impressive these days.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So, how do you take down the
Bloater
?

First encounter.

protip.jpg

That's about it. Just stay a little ways back, try to kite it around in a circle with an object in between.

Gorillaz

So, how do you take down the
Bloater
?

First encounter.

2 nail bombs or nail bomb+mov coattail

First time you fight them it might feel rough but later as you gain a good flow of weapons and crafting stuff+environmental uses...it gets much MUCH easier

NO melee...obviously just make sure you keep distance thats the most important thing

AniHawk

i can't remember the last time i was able to just enjoy a naughty dog game. after a shaky start, this is really starting to come into its own. about 41% of the way through, and i just completed ravenholm.

so far this game feels less like ico+re4 and more like half-life 2 + uncharted 2.

Good advice, I think I'll stick it out then. I've already noticed the game opening up a bit more now that I'm unlocking new weapons and new mechanics.

I've done pretty well against the human enemies but it's the infected/clickers that have been giving me trouble mostly.

I dunno where exactly you're at but I think you're close to where you get a bow/shotgun and some other helpful stuff. I got the long gun holster right away so I could keep the shotgun equipped on one slot and switch between the bow/rifle on the other. The bow is amazing for stealth kills and feels awesome to use, and at the same time makes you wonder whether you can risk potentially losing an arrow or whether you can pull off a choke instead. Nothing beats the feeling of slowly and meticulously clearing out an area entirely with stealth kills. It's like the Dark Souls of stealth games or some shit. You really have to be careful as fuck and plan out what you want to do, and then not mess up the execution

Bladenic

Does anyone have this avatar?

jbqvqXM87GJv1U.jpg

because I just adopted it but i will change if anyone else has it, I havent seen it being used though

My goodness. I just beat the game... The story is so heavy. I don't even know what to think.

The fact that Joel chose to save Ellie from death because of their strong father/daughter connection is deep, but at the cost of a possible vaccine for the rest of the human race. Joel lying to Ellie, right to her face, left me confused. Should I feel happy they're alive and together? Should I feel sad that Joel stopped the doctors from getting a vaccine? I don't know what to think. It all goes back to the first scene where Joel lost his daughter Sarah. Joel is like the father Ellie never had, and Ellie is the daughter that Joel didn't get to see grow up. So many emotions. I don't even...

Wasn't there a discussion some years ago about gaming as art? This game just nails it!

It brings the best from Heavy Rain and combines it with actual gameplay. Not that it is flawless but boy, what a masterpiece Naughty Dog created! The story telling, the plot the voice acting just feels unreal for a 'game'. Stunning performance.

If you want to celebrate your gaming hobby, there is no better way at the moment. Embrace it and enjoy the ride.

DatDude

Banned
Wasn't there a discussion some years ago about gaming as art? This game just nails it!

It brings the best from Heavy Rain and combines it with actual gameplay. Not that it is flawless but boy, what a masterpiece Naughty Dog created! The story telling, the plot the voice acting just feels unreal for a 'game'. Stunning performance.

If you want to celebrate your gaming hobby, there is no better way at the moment. Embrace it and enjoy the ride.

Unfortunately what Naughty Dog is capable of doing doesn't hold true for 90% of the gaming developer companies out there.

kurbaan

Banned
Just got to
Spring Chapter and wow the last section with the snow and that fight against David was so GODDAMN intense. Him rushing at you and you trying to sneak around without stepping on those plates thats how you do these battles

Also does anyone have a wallpaper of the scene where
Ellie and Joel see the giraffes and they are just leaning on the rooftop staring at the view as the Giraffes walkaway?
if so you can PM it to me to avoid spoilers.

meta4

I am really divided between this and Bioshock for GOTY. Both are such fantastic games. If only Bioshock had more skyhook gameplay it would have been even closer. I guess right now I favor TLOU slightly more. Bring on GTA5!

I hope Capcom is paying attention to this game. It is so incredibly relevant to the Resident Evil series.

While it can be a bit shootery at times, the most pervasive element of the gameplay is the "survival" element, regardless of whether or not it's a horror or human scenario. This should put the "does survival horror exist?" debate to rest; the "survival" is clearly its own component independent of the horror element. Is this a survival horror game? Well, it's a bit of a hybrid. So there you have it Capcom, here's an AAA blockbuster title that is doing exactly what you're too afraid to make Resident Evil do.

And oh man, at times this game just oozes the atmosphere of a would be Resident Evil 2 remake. It really evokes that kind of feel, especially where I am now
in the sewers
, where I'm reminded of Claire and Sherry in RE2. Having Ellie climb through/under something to open up a passage for me. There's even a valve handle! ... although the puzzle element in this game is nonexistent, although that's okay (it's a linear game - which isn't exactly the best follow up to classic Resident Evil either).

AniHawk

it's a good game, but it isn't art. i do agree it has a very good script and actors from what i've seen in cutscenes and heard during gameplay.

at this point, i'm not sure what i'd change in the game, but i do wonder about the level design on occasion.

DatDude

Banned
it's a good game, but it isn't art. i do agree it has a very good script and actors from what i've seen in cutscenes and heard during gameplay.

Your pretty early on no?

What the game does in the 2nd half, especially in the Winter Chapter is what I would consider art.

AniHawk

Your pretty early on no?

What the game does in the 2nd half, especially in the Winter Chapter is what I would consider art.

i'm 41% through, but i will probably agree that whatever the second half does is really excellent design versus really excellent art.

my general opinion is that video games should be respected as being really good video games instead of needing to strive for the approval from the art community (which is sort of its cousin). they don't need to do that. they should be respected as really good pieces of design- which they are.

76% through, done for the night.

Totally thought they'd killed off Joel at first. After the rabbit no one's safe.

I get that this is a serious game, but unless I'm missing it I'm kind of sad that there's no unlockable Doughnut Joel skin.

AniHawk

Well what's your definition of "art"?

not walking too far down this road because there are always some exceptions to the rule. but let's say, generally, i think art is something someone makes that exists for itself. introducing logic into that, and making it function, which is what video games, and a lot of other things of its mold do, turns it into design.

i get the idea though- the last of us is a really fucking good video game. i'm sure there have been many many others that reach a certain height thanks to their design that they should receive more widespread respect than they do. i'm not trying to be an art snob. i'm trying to elevate design to the same level of respect as art, because really good design really deserves it.

Sickbean

That's nothing.

This is what concerns me more:

art1.jpg

I've long come to the conclusion that art is simply anything you want it to be.

That's it essentially - if someone perceives something as art, then it's art.

Anyway back to the game - is 61 deaths a lot on Hard (45% complete)?

I feel like I haven't quite got the hang of things yet - I tend to get discovered a lot and then trial and error my way through things.

Regardless of whether or not TLOU is or is not art, the art direction in the game is amazing. The Hotel was beautiful. I love the use of color in this game.

I need help

The netcode in the game is broken for me. When I get into a game, its fine 99% of the time. But its taking a long time to find games, and keeps disconnecting me just before the game starts, or failing to connect to the host. Both of these count as a quit game, with the clan punishment to show for it.

1) Is this a problem on my end, or a common occurence, and are there any patch plans either way?
2) How easy is it to get the clan back into a healthy shape?

The MP is great, but this will destroy it for me unless it can be fixed.

AniHawk

Regardless of whether or not TLOU is or is not art, the art direction in the game is amazing. The Hotel was beautiful. I love the use of color in this game.

definitely. it's a gorgeous looking title, and i'm constantly amazed it's on the ps3. i can't even make out the rigging in the facial animation. how they got ellie to do the sigh through her lips (you know the 'pbfpbfpbf' sound where your lips vibrate), i have no idea.

also i ran into a really annoying glitch tonight. a clicker had left me alone and investigated this area he shouldn't be on his own. that's neat. i went to check on him later, because i wasn't sure what i was supposed to do next. well it turns out the asshole had escaped the enclosed area and glitched through a gate out into freedom. then it sees me, runs back and glitches through the gate and kills me. testing this thing must have been fucking hell if this is what made it through to release.

DjRoomba

Banned
This game seems like it was made with the purpose of being considered art. Taking dramatic storytelling cues just for the sake of taking dramatic storytelling cues. And that bugs me.
Soo far Im getting the same vibe I got off Bioshock Inifinite. Mostly a cruddy CGI movie. More story playthrough than video game with alot of unnecessary FPS corridor action padding.
I hope itll pick up somewhat.

DatDude

Banned
Anyway back to the game - is 61 deaths a lot on Hard (45% complete)?

I feel like I haven't quite got the hang of things yet - I tend to get discovered a lot and then trial and error my way through things.

I died over 200 times. Nothing to worry about :p

DatDude

Banned
This game seems like it was made with the purpose of being considered art. Taking dramatic storytelling cues just for the sake of taking dramatic storytelling cues. And that bugs me.
Soo far Im getting the same vibe I got off Bioshock Inifinite. Mostly a cruddy CGI movie. More story playthrough than video game with alot of unnecessary FPS corridor action padding.

Have you even made it to Pitsburgh?

Also, I don't see how there's unnecessary FPS corridor action when this game is meant to be played in a stealthy fashion

AniHawk

Have you even made it to Pitsburgh?

Also, I don't see how there's unnecessary FPS corridor action when this game is meant to be played in a stealthy fashion

the leadup to the capitol building isn't very exciting. everything afterwards has been picking up though.

while i do think they were intentionally making 'oscar bait', i also believe they were taking criticism from uncharted 2 to heart. the main character isn't a happy-go-lucky nice (or maybe even good) guy. no one really jokes around a lot- except the 14 year-old. killing creatures and even people carries more weight and makes more sense in a survival setting.

DatDude

Banned
Can you send me a link? I can't find it through searching.

you should ask the person who originally said it was on youtube (a few pages back).

I haven't looked for it.

the leadup to the capitol building isn't very exciting. everything afterwards has been picking up though.

I'll take it a step further, everything before bill was just dog shit. Like I said earlier, if this game was the culmination of the first few hours, than this would've been the biggest disappointment from naughty dog to date.

AHA-Lambda

Finished it last night, loved the ending. Basically the last 3rd is pure gold BUT I can't say that forgives to me what was otherwise a solid game with weak stealth and survival mechanics and a really bad opening couple of hours.

I'm glad to see the game end on a great high note, the story at the end is brilliant, but still not GOTG or even GOTY to me.

DatDude

Banned
Finished it last night, loved the ending. Basically the last 3rd is pure gold BUT I can't say that forgives to me what was otherwise a solid game with weak stealth and survival mechanics and a really bad opening couple of hours.

I'm glad to see the game end on a great high note, the story at the end is brilliant, but still not GOTG or even GOTY to me.

What game did better so far in your eyes?

LegendX48

God, Survivor mode is so stingy with everything lol

just finished it again, soo good. I haven't played a PS3 game this much in... well, ever lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The art argument is, in my opinion, ultimately pointless as few are willing to take the time to define "art". You can't call anything art unless you have a definition for what constitutes as "art". And that is extremely muddy territory deep in the waters of subjectivity.

For me personally, art is simply an act of creation and expression. I consider good art to be that which resonates with me on an emotional level and makes me feel something. That's vague, but deliberately so. The worst crime any art can make is to leave you with boredom, apathy, and disinterest. If you felt something from the act of reading, viewing, listening, or playing, no matter the medium, then that is to me art.

With gaming what I particularly dislike about the art debate is that it's less about defining art and more so pandering to an self entitled clique of art wankers, desperately seeking their approval for a medium that many people want to be viewed as grown up. And that really shouldn't matter in the slightest, especially when talking about art, which should always be a more personal thing versus a strict consensus.

"Art" and "artistic merit" are generally buzzwords with no solid definitions, instead built around cultural perceptions and definitions within specific circles. I personally find the discussion of what the game actually does, its sequences, scenes, mechanics, characters, and the feelings it evokes, a far more interesting and insightful discussion.

For example: I think one of Naughty Dog's biggest issues with game design in their particular niche of making heavily story/narrative driven video games is the occasional dissonance between the kind of mood and atmosphere they wish to convey and what is actually happening, and the mechanics which you're supposed to engage with. Uncharted falters here, for example, with the jumping and climbing, Drake sometimes able to make obscenely long jumps or high falls because that's the way the level or set piece was designed in order to move the story forward and get you from A-to-B, yet you'll frequently fail to make shorter jumps and lower falls simply because the moment-to-moment mechanics don't always match the scripted mechanics. I find this sometimes with The Last of Us and the AI. Incredibly well written characters, deeply disturbing and gritty atmosphere and setting rich with tension. Then my AI partner is running around like a dumbass into Clickers while I'm crouched shitting myself in the corner, and an armed human is spazzing out on a piece of cover. The former makes sense if they couldn't balance it for mechanics, much like invincible Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite, but unlike Elizabeth it's not something easily forgotten and lost to the experience of play. My brain goes "oh that's dumb" and I'm jerked back to reality; a smelly Australian slumped in front of an LCD television playing Naughty Dog's The Last of Us on my Sony PlayStation 3.

Given I think Naughty Dog has a lot of talent in their particular niche of game design and story telling, the consistency between mechanics, presentation, and play is something I'd like to see them improve on going into the PlayStation 4. A game might have considerably worse animation, rougher graphics, clumsier mechanics, and nowhere near the production qualities, but if there's consistency in the design, play, and presentation I'll often find myself more enveloped and lost into the game world. It's easy to forgive silly, unrealistic quirks when they're balanced with everything else, not when they're conflicting with the attention to detail spent elsewhere.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think most people mean "says something" or "is about something" when they use "art" in the context of storytelling anyway.

The problem is that most games really only pay lipservice to such issues - Bioshock Infinite and racism, being the most recent example I can think of off hand.

DatDude

Banned
The art argument is, in my opinion, ultimately pointless as few are willing to take the time to define "art". You can't call anything art unless you have a definition for what constitutes as "art". And that is extremely muddy territory deep in the waters of subjectivity.

For me personally, art is simply an act of creation and expression. I consider good art to be that which resonates with me on an emotional level and makes me feel something. That's vague, but deliberately so. The worst crime any art can make is to leave you with boredom, apathy, and disinterest. If you felt something from the act of reading, viewing, listening, or playing, no matter the medium, then that is to me art.

With gaming what I particularly dislike about the art debate is that it's less about defining art and more so pandering to an self entitled clique of art wankers, desperately seeking their approval for a medium that many people want to be viewed as grown up. And that really shouldn't matter in the slightest, especially when talking about art, which should always be a more personal thing versus a strict consensus.

"Art" and "artistic merit" are generally buzzwords with no solid definitions, instead built around cultural perceptions and definitions within specific circles. I personally find the discussion of what the game actually does, its sequences, scenes, mechanics, characters, and the feelings it evokes, a far more interesting and insightful discussion.

For example: I think one of Naughty Dog's biggest issues with game design in their particular niche of making heavily story/narrative driven video games is the occasional dissonance between the kind of mood and atmosphere they wish to convey and what is actually happening, and the mechanics which you're supposed to engage with. Uncharted falters here, for example, with the jumping and climbing, Drake sometimes able to make obscenely long jumps or high falls because that's the way the level or set piece was designed in order to move the story forward and get you from A-to-B, yet you'll frequently fail to make shorter jumps and lower falls simply because the moment-to-moment mechanics don't always match the scripted mechanics. I find this sometimes with The Last of Us and the AI. Incredibly well written characters, deeply disturbing and gritty atmosphere and setting rich with tension. Then my AI partner is running around like a dumbass into Clickers while I'm crouched shitting myself in the corner, and an armed human is spazzing out on a piece of cover. The former makes sense if they couldn't balance it for mechanics, much like invincible Elizabeth in BioShock Infinite, but unlike Elizabeth it's not something easily forgotten and lost to the experience of play. My brain goes "oh that's dumb" and I'm jerked back to reality; a smelly Australian slumped in front of an LCD television playing Naughty Dog's The Last of Us on my Sony PlayStation 3.

Given I think Naughty Dog has a lot of talent in their particular niche of game design and story telling, the consistency between mechanics, presentation, and play is something I'd like to see them improve on going into the PlayStation 4. A game might have considerably worse animation, rougher graphics, clumsier mechanics, and nowhere near the production qualities, but if there's consistency in the design, play, and presentation I'll often find myself more enveloped and lost into the game world. It's easy to forgive silly, unrealistic quirks when they're balanced with everything else, not when they're conflicting with the attention to detail spent elsewhere.

Your partners spazzing around a clicker isn't a "scripted" moment though. It's simply a design choice since them becoming frequently spotted would create frustration eventually.

If anything this tells more about the limitations of the ps3, rather than naughty dog themselves.

Top Bottom