• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Andrew.

Banned
Something I'm not feeling in the hotel area of Pittsburgh is there seems to be magically spawning bandits.

I know I cleared an entire floor, moved up a level, was stalking a dude then Ellie gives me the "watch out behind you" and a dude came up the stairwell. This resulted in being shot in the back and then at least 10 guys pouring in from everywhere. It's really irritating how one guy blows your cover the whole damn area comes in. To be fair this is the only section so far that this has happened, and it's a huge area in and outside the hotel, so it could be expected that a gunshot would bring lots of attention.

They dont magically spawn at all. Each area has a set number of enemies. You just arent scouting the area well enough for them. Also, some enemies that are really close wont show up as a silhouette if youre using listen mode so occasionally they can be tough to spot and easy to be ambushed by. It helps immensley to throw a bottle or brick occasionally to grab the attention of whoever is around. This gains you the advantage of seeing the numbers and forming a plan to take them out.

So I want to save $$ on my account for the single player DLC

This is what we know.
- The Season Pass is 19.99, which, if each pack is the same price, would come out to about 6.67 per pack

- That's a discount, so let's say 9.99 for each pack individually (so $30 if we bought all 3 packs individually)

But 9.99 for single player DLC? That doesn't fit with how most other large-scale campaign DLC is priced. Maybe the packs aren't the same price. Could the MP packs be 4.99 each and the SP DLC be 19.99?

So how much should I save? Cause I also want to get another game from the PS store.

Is it more likely that the SP DLC will be 9.99, 14.99, 19.99?

Dragnet

FRUSTRATION!!

I'm late game.
Just ran into the hospital lift holding Ellie, and twice in a row now my PS3 has frozen on a black screen as Joel steps out.

What the fuck? Gonna try a 3rd time now. Fix this shit Guerrilla!

ced

My wife as my witness I cleared the 2nd story of the hotel (and the 1st / outside obviously), and was even loudly running around making sure I didn't miss any resources. Went up a stairwell to the 3rd, killed a guy with the bow, then the guy walks up the stairwell / hall behind me and shoots.

Maybe he slowly wandered up from the 1st floor all that time and finally got to me, but it sure seemed like he spawned in behind me.

Andrew.

Banned

This is what we know.
- The Season Pass is 19.99, which, if each pack is the same price, would come out to about 6.67 per pack

- That's a discount, so let's say 9.99 for each pack individually (so $30 if we bought all 3 packs individually)

But 9.99 for single player DLC? That doesn't fit with how most other large-scale campaign DLC is priced. Maybe the packs aren't the same price. Could the MP packs be 4.99 each and the SP DLC be 19.99?

So how much should I save? Cause I also want to get another game from the PS store.

You asked all of this yesterday. Multiple times. No one knows. Only you know what is feasible for you to save. None of us know your financial situation. Come on son.

25452d1349320702-obama-romney-debate-imageuploadedbytapatalk1349320701.612701.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
My wife as my witness I cleared the 2nd story of the hotel (and the 1st / outside obviously), and was even loudly running around making sure I didn't miss any resources. Went up a stairwell to the 3rd, killed a guy with the bow, then the guy walks up the stairwell / hall behind me and shoots.

Maybe he slowly wandered up from the 1st floor all that time and finally got to me, but it sure seemed like he spawned in behind me.

Yeah i'm pretty sure that hotel has spawning enemies when you go from floor to floor.

Something I'm not feeling in the hotel area of Pittsburgh is there seems to be magically spawning bandits.

I know I cleared an entire floor, moved up a level, was stalking a dude then Ellie gives me the "watch out behind you" and a dude came up the stairwell. This resulted in being shot in the back and then at least 10 guys pouring in from everywhere. It's really irritating how one guy blows your cover the whole damn area comes in. To be fair this is the only section so far that this has happened, and it's a huge area in and outside the hotel, so it could be expected that a gunshot would bring lots of attention.

I don't care what anyone says, Ellie said watch out behind you to me in a section of the game where all enemies are ahead of a hallway and there is no possible path, and there are often endless waves of enemies. Sometimes it's complete bullshit .

Angst

This is what we know.

Have they confirmed SP DLC? That would be awesome, I wished for U2 and U3 SP DCL, but all I got for those two games were MP maps, hats, characters and clothes :(

ced

I don't care what anyone says, Ellie said watch out behind you to me in a section of the game where all enemies are ahead of a hallway and there is no possible path, and there are often endless waves of enemies. Sometimes it's complete bullshit .

I haven't quite figured out if it's endless waves, or if once you alert them in the larger areas with gunfire that ALL the guys come running to you, which is often 10 - 20 of them.

On a unrelated note, I would have really liked to have a limited (as in takes skill to use correctly) block or parry for those times a fucker gets up to you with a bat or pipe. Maybe even have it sacrifice your melee weapon but get you one block or parry.

Andrew.

Banned
I haven't quite figured out if it's endless waves, or if once you alert them in the larger ares with gunfire that ALL the guys come running to you, which is often 10 - 20 of them.

Dude seriously? Come on.

You never, ever have to fight that many enemies at once. Ever.

Close to the end:
The hospital at the end cuts it close though. I believe the total is around 9 or so in that second to last section.

But 20? Get the hell outta here with that nonsense.

Complete bullshit indeed.

We get it, you think our experiences are wrong. Call it generated endless waves, call it 15 additional enemies hiding in a second floor bedroom that all decide to come out after 5 minutes but they've been there the same time, still seems like a poor experience sometimes for the nature of this games combat.

And an enemy shouldn't appear behind me when I'm watching the only path to the enemies.

MMaRsu

One thing, I loved being able to replay sections with checkpoints if you don't kill the last guy. Plenty of ways to go about encounters, so cool to pull off some crazy shit.

Hard was the way to go :D.

Andrew.

Banned
We get it, you think our experiences are wrong. Call it generated endless waves, call it 15 additional enemies hiding in a second floor bedroom that all decide to come out after 5 minutes but they've been there the same time, still seems like a poor experience sometimes for the nature of this games combat.

And an enemy shouldn't appear behind me when I'm watching the only path to the enemies.

You know why they appear behind you? Because you didnt check your corners or behind simple covers.

I get that ambushes happen in that place and for simple reason: the corridors are dark as fuck and the Hunters all wear dark clothing. They blend in easily, and when theyre crouching behind some cover in a darkly lit room (especially) in a corner, theyre tough to spot and can easily get the upper on you. It doesnt help that they sit completely motionless most of the time so sometimes its like finding a damn chameleon.

StuBurns

Banned
There are some instances where the enemy will not appear until you enter a room, for example, there is no one in the sniper room until you enter. He comes from the right, but he's not there, but those are very specific moments.

Andrew.

Banned
There are some instances where the enemy will not appear until you enter a room, for example, there is no one in the sniper room until you enter. He comes from the right, but he's not there, but those are very specific moments.

Yeah but it's always against one or two guys. Not 10-20 =P

ced

Dude seriously? Come on.

You never, ever have to fight that many enemies at once. Ever.
But 20? Get the hell outta here with that nonsense.

Alright since you called out my slight exaggeration I will revise to up to 10. While I know there are no endless spawns, I still stick to what I experienced in the hotel as a spawned hunter behind me. It's just not possible that I missed him after clearing then running around the 1st / 2nd floor to double check for resources. The tiny amount of time from me going up the stairwell and hall to when he came up from behind was way too short for him to have just wandered up after me.

I'm at the hotel as well and it's really the only part of the game so far I'm not really feeling.

You peeps are nuts! That was a big turning point for me in terms of mastering the gameplay concepts with listen mode off.
I'm with Hawkian on this one. Just played through the hotel last night (hard, listen mode off) and I felt like the combat really began to shine. Fighting the infected is fine, but the extra layer of strategy when fighting bandits, combined with the additional combat options you have by the time you get to the hotel made for a sublime experience.

aristotle

They dont magically spawn at all. Each area has a set number of enemies. You just arent scouting the area well enough for them. Also, some enemies that are really close wont show up as a silhouette if youre using listen mode so occasionally they can be tough to spot and easy to be ambushed by. It helps immensley to throw a bottle or brick occasionally to grab the attention of whoever is around. This gains you the advantage of seeing the numbers and forming a plan to take them out.

False. I know for a fact that in one area in particular, they do magically appear. Spoiler about 40% in:

In the bookstore section, there are only supposed to be 4 guys on the bottom floor and 4 more on the top floor. The official strategy guide even tells you how many are there. I kill all of them silently and I'm waiting for Ellie to pull out her joke book. Suddenly she starts to cower and I turn on listen mode. There are 4 more guys who magically spawned downstairs and aren't moving. They're "stuck" for lack of a better term. They don't move until you kill one of them or one of them sees you. There are 2 who are always stuck together side by side.

They literally do appear out of no where if you know where to look. Bug maybe, but it does happen.

Dragnet

This is bullshit. My game keeps freezing as
Joel exits the lift in the hospital
. I know from my game save I'm 99% done. WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING! I've removed the game data and resinstalled, backed up the save data, deleted then reinstalled and nothing is fixing it.

Business

One thing, I loved being able to replay sections with checkpoints if you don't kill the last guy. Plenty of ways to go about encounters, so cool to pull off some crazy shit.

Totally agree. Restart encounter was awesome and I used it many times even if I was to clear the section, seeing I could do it differently, nicer and/or more efficiently.

StuBurns

Banned
This is bullshit. My game keeps freezing as
Joel exits the lift in the hospital
. I know from my game save I'm 99% done. WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING! I've removed the game data and resinstalled, backed up the save data, deleted then reinstalled and nothing is fixing it.
It does suck, but that's the end, you can just watch it on youtube.

EDIT: Actually, it's not quite, but close.

Footos22

Going to try the
Science centre
again tonight and see if i can actually get to see the next floor without all the geometry disappearing. 6 x i tried yesterday and couldnt do it.

Hope its not my slim on the brink of death.

You peeps are nuts! That was a big turning point for me in terms of mastering the gameplay concepts with listen mode off.

I agree, but for a different reason. Leading up to the hotel i'd been playing very conservatively. Tons of choke outs, melee, and limited ammo use. I showed up at the hotel with my new pistol holster, two fully loaded pistols and a fully loaded shotgun... I decided to go guns blazing against the hunters.

I certainly got blasted/beat to dead more than a few times... but i eventually dominated that hotel. Methodical room to room blast fest. Being able to switch quickly between two pistols is critical for combat intense situations.

Bradach

The AI on the real people (enemies) in this game is very impressive. I had to try a section 4 or 5 times last night and each time was completely different. I though I'd start to see patterns in their movement and be able to predict where they'd be but nope! I had to stay on my toes all the time. Good stuff.

StuBurns

Banned
What if he wants to play survivor or new game+.

It is a shame there have been so many serious glitches with this game with a few people.
Certainly, it fucking sucks, I just meant if it's going to break, that's one of the more fortunate moments it could break.

It's a real shame so many people have had issues with it. Beyond the initial autosave thing, I've only had one major bug, and it's not broke anything, the geometry just fell out the level in a cutscene once.

KageMaru

I'm about 5 hours in and have never ran into an endless wave of enemies. Are you sure you're not skipping or passing by enemies and they are coming up behind you that way? I always make sure to clear out every area because I'm worried about this happening.

Finally onto
Fall
, how far into the game am I?

Loving it but have to say that the last part of that section wasnt as great as what had come before tbh.

zoukka

Just finished it. Didn't see the ending coming at all. It was a good game, but one that has zero replay value to me. The variety was in the narrative and enviroment design, not in gameplay. It's a solid 4/5 experience to me, with a little less linear approach to gameplay and more variety it could've been perfect.

The story itself was merely a collection of zombie movie tropes, but it was well executed and acted. Nothing really surprised me or shocked me, I was expecting a lot more on this front because of the hype, but it just reminds me that game journos are such incompetent folk.

Top Bottom