• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Replicant

They need to do something about the AI of your companions. FFS, one minute they'd say "Don't make any sound" and in another minute they make really loud footsteps following me around. And please provide a "Stay here" or "Follow me" command options because the last thing I want while sneaking around to off runners is to have 2 clueless AIs wandering around to get spotted by the other runners.

Which scene has the best writing you mean? Henry and Joel's late night conversation is pretty fantastic.

Shit, I only got past that a little while back but for some reason the actual discussion has escaped my mind - care to refresh the gist of it in spoilers? :p

I'd say any of the cutscenes tbh - writing is so good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They need to do something about the AI of your companions. FFS, one minute they'd say "Don't make any sound" and in another minute they make really loud footsteps following me around. And please provide a "Stay here" or "Follow me" command options because the last thing I want while sneaking around to off runners is to have 2 clueless AI wandering around to get spotted by the other runners.
They are undetectable by enemies while sneaking.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can you strangle Clickers? Haven't bothered trying since I thought you could only shiv/melee/gun them to death.
Absolutely not.

Dunno how far you are but, Winter spoilers:
Ellie, on the other hand, can gut them from behind with her knife (no shiv needed); my interpretation is that without the fear of infection she is more confident stabbing them in the mouth with a smaller blade. The fact that playing as her actually has different gameplay implications is possibly my favorite thing about the entire experience.

Shit, I only got past that a little while back but for some reason the actual discussion has escaped my mind - care to refresh the gist of it in spoilers? :p

I'd say any of the cutscenes tbh - writing is so good.
Joel relates a story of how Tommy wanted to rent a couple Harley Davidsons and ride cross-country. Henry has never been on one and asks how the trip was. Joel replies "Good, real good." Henry chides him for giving zero details of what must have been an awesome experience. Ellie teases Henry; how could he know what the bikes are like? Henry's seen it in his dreams- "vroom vroom vroom!"

Ellie leaves to go check on Sam. Henry admits to Joel that he knows no one else is showing up, but the real aspect that is hard for him about it is explaining that fact to Sam.

Can you strangle Clickers? Haven't bothered trying since I thought you could only shiv/melee/gun them to death.
Don't think so. I haven't been able to manage it so far. I'm 89 percent thru and this game has been a bit frustrating to me.
I love all of the sandbox areas in the game, but every so often, the game will toss you into an enclosed area and toss a slew of enemies at you a rapid pace with limited resources. This wouldnt be so bad were it not for the cheese factor of the Clickers. Having to die and restart these sections like 15+ times is not any fun to me and it drains the momentum. I feel like they're trying to shoehorn Uncharted into a game that isn't tight enough to facilitate that style of play.

On a different note, the conclusion of Fall and leading into Winter and its climax was brilliant. We've seen the whole protagonist is moments from death, with one foot in the grave, staggering about as he's bleeding out before, but never has it been done so effectively and with such gravitas. Seguing into Winter as a fully capable yet highly vulnerable Ellie was a stroke of brilliance as well. It made you question whether Joel had actually made it. That cat and mouse game between Ellie and David in the burning restaurant? That actually had my pulse raising. ND managed to crib some of that hair raising tension from QD titles without compromising the degree of interactivity. You truly felt helpless, and David's changing AI patterns kept you on your toes.

The whole Winter segment was brilliant. I actually breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the lush greenery of Spring. I can't wait to see how the end game plays out

-SD-

Banned
Having watched some walkthrough videos...

Get this game on the PC, give me mouse+keyboard controls and put the character in the middle of the screen and I'd buy the heck out of this.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Thanks for all the clicker confirmation, guys. I've just hit the 50% mark
(woke up on the river's edge)
and my favorite thing about the game so far has been the pacing. It's such a rare pleasure to play a game designed by people who know how to build in proper breathing room and "down" time. I love that I'm not constantly being forced into combat. I've spent as much time exploring as I have fighting, and I'm finding the exploration to be just as much fun as the combat.

As much as I thought clickers would be the worst enemies, runners give me more problems since they can see you and alert others. As long as I'm quiet, I'm finding that clickers will basically leave me alone to
headshot them with my arrows

Anyways, great game. I've somehow managed to not spoil myself so I'm really looking forward to finishing it up.

Might have been answered before but do collectibles/upgrades affect your %complete. I'm over 50% and just about to
attempt to cross the pittsburgh bridge
. Seems like from what other people are saying its actually a lot earlier than that.

Ourobolus

Banned
As much as I thought clickers would be the worst enemies, runners give me more problems since they can see you and alert others. As long as I'm quiet, I'm finding that clickers will basically leave me alone to
headshot them with my arrows

Clickers are really only terrible if they are paired with other enemies. By themselves they're nothing.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Might have been answered before but do collectibles/upgrades affect your %complete. I'm over 50% and just about to
. Seems like from what other people are saying its actually a lot earlier than that.

I've been spending a ton of time searching for collectibles and I just hit 50% completion after making it across the
bridge

Clickers are really only terrible if they are paired with other enemies. By themselves they're nothing.

Yeah, bunch of clickers I can deal with. Clickers plus runners make me nervous.

There's one hidden trophy and its to hear all of Ellie's
jokes via her joke book. There are a bunch of times in Pittsburgh and the suburbs where she gets prompts to do pull out her book

I just checked tags section in game and there's two more hidden tags, I've already got the one for
Ellie's jokes
, but how do I get another two?

Sullichin

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Joel takes less damage when he's shot from behind

I was doing a section and I meleed a guy then run. Enemies were shooting at me and I was getting hit, but it seemed like the impacts did less damage than usual

I'm thinking maybe it's because the bullets are hitting the backpack? Which would be cool snd smart

I'm playing on Survivor too

You take less damage when you're running, I'm pretty sure. I don't think the fact that the bullets hit your back has anything to do with it, but I'm not sure.

I got past the bridge part I was stuck on, I'm in
University of Colorado
in the Fall chapter now. I just fell down into a lower level of
dorm building that is just TEEMING with clickers, and I see a bloater down there too.
I'm terrified.

69% complete at around 13 hours. Love the downtime you get between really intense sections.

Should I have tools level 4 by this point?

Looks like I missed that training manual before the sniper section, that's not ringing any bells for me :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nothing affects that percentage but storyline percentage. However (paradoxically enough), the latter 50% is longer and much broader in scope than the first 50%.
Accurate. A room full of clickers and nothing else is an archery range. The (Fall)
ECU dormitory was a blast for me for this reason, I just took the place apart methodically, and left the bloater alive to stalk the halls alone looking for co-ed tail.
University of Colorado
dorm building that is just TEEMING with clickers, and I see a bloater down there too.
I'm terrified.
Hah! Come on son. WWJD?

Joel, duh

Sullichin

Nothing affects that percentage but storyline percentage. However (paradoxically enough), the latter 50% is longer and much broader in scope than the first 50%.

Accurate. A room full of clickers and nothing else is an archery range. The (Fall)
ECU dormitory was a blast for me for this reason, I just took the place apart methodically, and left the bloater alive to stalk the halls alone looking for co-ed tail.

Hah! Come on son. WWJD?

Joel, duh

I read your spoiler and I'll probably wind up trying the same thing. Still have a machete too, I think.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Alternatively, if you're feeling vindictive, you ought to have the
flamethrower
from just before. Toss a bottle to get them all grouped together and go nuts
(I'd have done this if I determined you couldn't skip fighting the bloater, but you can). :)

antitrop

You take less damage when you're running, I'm pretty sure. I don't think the fact that the bullets hit your back has anything to do with it, but I'm not sure.
I think running just gives you a better chance of a hit being only a glancing/grazing shot, which does very minimal damage.

Andrew.

Banned
Alternatively, if you're feeling vindictive, you ought to have the
flamethrower
from just before. Toss a bottle to get them all grouped together and go nuts
(I'd have done this if I determined you couldn't skip fighting the bloater, but you can). :)

Yeah regarding that...
Passing by that Bloater in the dorms was tense as hell. I didnt fight it. I didnt even fight the two in the sewers later on or during the battle with David. The only one I ever defeated was the one you have to fight in the school. Fuck those things.

Those explosive spore blasts are so beautiful though. It's like a golden star shower.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Spent a bit more time with online and I just find it tedious.
Not much fun at all

Just finished my game, clocked in at about 19 hours on Hard with Listen Mode off. This game is just so damn good. I still have a huge backlog to get to but now I barley have any motivation to start or even finish any other game just because of how amazing The Last of Us was. Everything about it feels like the game is in a whole other league. Bioshock Infinite didn't even make me feel this way and I thought it was a really really good game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah regarding that...
Passing by that Bloater in the dorms was tense as hell. I didnt fight it. I didnt even fight the two in the sewers later on or during the battle with David. The only one I ever defeated was the one you have to fight in the school. Fuck those things.

Those explosive spore blasts are so beautiful though. It's like a golden star shower.
How did you
not fight the one with David? o_O

At the
two in the tunnel, I went HAM and basically cleared my inventory. Got on top of a truck, grouped them and about 5 clickers together with a bottle toss, double-molotov, nail bomb, rush in with a flamethrower to mop up the pieces. A cleansing by fire. It was cathartic.

Andrew.

Banned
Just finished my game, clocked in at about 19 hours on Hard with Listen Mode off. This game is just so damn good. I still have a huge backlog to get to but now I barley have any motivation to start or even finish any other game just because of how amazing The Last of Us was. Everything about it feels like the game is in a whole other league. Bioshock Infinite didn't even make me feel this way and I thought it was a really really good game.

I know what you mean. Everything feels like it'll be so stale after experiencing this. I too loved Infinite, but Last of Us is in a whole different league. It's not even the same sport. I was looking at my current gen collection last night and there's only a select few I would go actively play again after this and even then I'm not looking forward to it. As I said before, Last of Us ruined gaming for me.

Andrew.

Banned
How did you
not fight the one with David? o_O

During that fight while the Bloater was there, I was too busy running from other dudes and wasting them so David took action on the Bloater mostly. I got in one or two shots with the rifle but that was about it. I was never actively fighting it. I was too busy avoiding other enemies. Before I knew it, the thing was dead. I have no idea how Im going to handle it on Survivor.

NJShadow

Never had full ammo in this game. Not once.

I had "full ammo" quite a lot, actually, especially towards the end because I was hoarding and hoarding in case I came across something truly difficult that required it. And crap, I just realized that I made it through the game without using the
flamethrower
... not once, even though I upgraded the heck out of it. I usually use something like that in mass mob situations, but I was never compelled to pull it out.

void666

Banned
One thing i realized on my second playthrough. Runners can see better than humans.

Human enemies need to keep you on sight for a certain amount of seconds to turn agressive towards you.
Even if they see you strangling one of their friends they'll ignore you for a few moments.

But runners can spot you right away. Yesterday i was at the
sewers
trying to be as sneaky as possible. But they kept spoting me everytime.

NJShadow

During that fight while the Bloater was there, I was too busy running from other dudes and wasting them so David took action on the Bloater mostly. I got in one or two shots with the rifle but that was about it. I was never actively fighting it. I was too busy avoiding other enemies. Before I knew it, the thing was dead. I have no idea how Im going to handle it on Survivor.

They can be taken out quite easily with a well-placed Molotov and some shotgun blasts.
In that situation, a Molotov and some rifle shots.

One thing i realized on my second playthrough. Runners can see better than humans.

Human enemies need to keep you on sight for a certain amount of seconds to turn agressive towards you.
Even if they see you strangling one of their friends they'll ignore you for a few moments.

But runners can spot you right away. Yesterday i was at the
sewers
trying to be as sneaky as possible. But they kept spoting me every time.

At that point I just decided to lure them back into the entry/corner area and take em' out with bullets (mainly for the clickers) and melee combat for the runners. It wasn't too bad.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Winter encounter spoilers
I don't know how it goes down on survivor, but doesn't the game make sure you can craft several molotovs and medkits up to this point? I know I brought it down with one molotov and two rifle shots, by far my quickest bloater fight. That must have taken forever to let David do the work.

i-GLQjhhF-950x10000.jpg

(wasn't sure if that was posted here at all, heh)

Andrew.

Banned
Winter encounter spoilers
I don't know how it goes down on survivor, but doesn't the game make sure you can craft several molotovs and medkits up to this point? I know I brought it down with one molotov and two rifle shots, by far my quickest bloater fight. That must have taken forever to let David do the work.

It really didnt take too long. It seemed like a pretty quick fight compared to fighting the one in the school. I dont even remember if I had any Molotovs on me at that point. I sure as hell will make sure now (on my current Hard+/collectible run) and when Survivor starts

Black bars. Black bars everywhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So essentially the counter is not accurate?
That's... a stretch. If I wanted to really express how I felt about that counter, it accurately reflects how close you are to the end of the game with an increasing degree of accuracy over time. :p
It really didnt take too long. It seemed like a pretty quick fight compared to fighting the one in the school. I dont even remember if I had any Molotovs on me at that point. I sure as hell will make sure now (on my current Hard+/collectible run) and when Survivor starts

Black bars. Black bars everywhere.
Oh, you weren't on Hard? Pfft!

Hung Wei Lo

Yay me...I can now freely read spoilers!

Total Kills - 828 (? really?)
Total Deaths - 216 (Haha)
Play (and admire scenery) time: 24:57:49
Hard difficulty, listen mode activated (but never used)

Also posting again here (before I throw it in the Canadian Deals or Tsilon.ca thread) that I have $50 off code for the PS3 Stereo headset at futureshop.ca (WebID: 10177893)

Is the save bug patched? I will finally have the chance to play it tonight and I noticed it updated to 1.01 but I just assumed that is your run of the mill launch patch. I assumed the save patch would put it to 1.02 or higher.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I don't really get the total kills. No way I've killed 900 enemies, even with retries.
Is the save bug patched? I will finally have the chance to play it tonight and I noticed it updated to 1.01 but I just assumed that is your run of the mill launch patch. I assumed the save patch would put it to 1.02 or higher.
No need for a patch. It was a server side problem on day one, and has quickly been resolved.

antitrop

The save issue was fixed last Friday without the need for a patch. It was a problem server-side on Naughty Dog's end.

The save issue was fixed last Friday without the need for a patch. It was a problem server-side on Naughty Dog's end.

Cheers, good to know. It was a bummer to see my friend who was insanely hyped about this game lose 4 hours of progress Friday afternoon and hasn't returned to the game since. Really put him off.

Vally

I'm at 83%, almost 25 hours played.
I already loved the first half of the game, but Winter is just amazing. I was wondering all the time if Joel had survived or not until Ellie talked about needing medicines. I wouldn't have minded playing as her for the rest of the game though.

Right now I've taken control of Joel again after Ellie has been trapped by the cannibals. The narrative is moving faster in this second half... at this point I should be close to finishing the game but I don't want it to end :(

University of Colorado
I'm terrified.

The flamethrower is a godsend against the bloater... you don't even need to spend much ammo on it, so there should be enough for the clickers as well in case you don't have any molotovs

Cheska

Anyone else end up having a lot of ammo / supplies by the end? I think I used melee too much, haha.

(on hard btw)

Yes lol. I basically only used ammo when I absofreakinlutely had to. It just felt more satisfying to take bros down by throwing sneaking up behind them or throwing a brick at their head.

Top Bottom