• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just got picked up the last weapon. I think?

Hoping the game still has a bit left, don't want this to end. Loving it. Can't wait to start my survivalist playthrough with no listen mode.

AniHawk

i just right now beat this thing.

i think 'trying too hard' is something of a naughty dog staple. like with crash they were trying too hard to be edgy. with jak ii and 3 they were trying too hard to be mature. with uncharted they were trying too hard in making whatever indiana jones or whatever adventurey 80s film you want.

so totally not the case with the last of us. it's by no means perfect, but they did an incredible job with this game. it's not even the game i had expected- which had more to do with the game kinda reacting to how you played (it's there, but it's a lot more subtle than i'd imagined). instead it's a straight-up fucking great survival horror game. it's like if telltale's the walking dead had things like gameplay and compelling characters.

i'll post my full thoughts on it tomorrow, but god damn. good shit.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Quoting myself for the second time. I need answers before I switch. Come on you guys!

- Whoa, WHOA, Survivor unlocks even on EASY?!

- The difficulty doesn't affect enemy count and enemies' health and/or weapons' effectiveness though, only no. supplies, correct?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Best multiplayer since Gears of War 1 (TPS).

@Jinfash, it's just like Uncharted. Beat on any difficulty to unlock survivor. Joel takes more damage on Survivor afaik, some guy posted the changes a few pages back.

I will post impressions on the SP after I have a bit of time to think about it.

But I can say, that MP is lame as fuck. Incredibly awful. Hard to believe the people who crafted the amazing SP are responsible for this pile of shit MP. It's offensively bad.

maybe because you're bad at it?

It's the first MP in years I'm playing constantly now. It's awesome, it's tactical...and you really have to work together as a team. Every round is different, the maps are great. No level advantages like more health etc.
It's always fair.

Best MP in years.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I heard easy has lock on? Switching to that shit.
KuGsj.gif

Finished it just now and about to head off to sleep but this game was fantastic. Probably one of the most mature games I've ever played if not THE most mature game with its themes, it's topic, and its realistic brutality. Bravo Naughty Dog. Bravo!

UrbanRats

I heard easy has lock on? Switching to that shit.
KuGsj.gif
I played on HARD and i had lock on (for throwing objects).
A saving grace, really.
gta v should be fun. i don't know if it'll top a game by michel ancel tho.

Unless Beyond Good and Evil 2 comes out this year.. and even then, an AAA game with modern ubisoft control over it? I expect Jade to be forced to free outposts, to clear parts of the map and be able to collect 200 datapods.

vladdamad

So Amazon finally delivered the game to me and I got a chance to sit down with it for a while. Played a couple of hours, am now currently
at the upside down shooting bit, meaning that I haven't met Bill yet (this is where the game is supposed to get amazing, or so I've been told?)

First things first - I thought the intro was seriously mediocre. People where really hyping it up in here, I persionally thought it was
cliche, predictable, and had no emotional weight to it - while the acting was good, Sarah's death wasn't some amazing watershed moment in the medium. Not to mention the fact that there were framerate drops everywhere.

Aftrer this, I was really disappointed by the graphics - the first moments in
the quarantine zone
were really quite ugly, and not in the intended sense - textures wouldn't load properly, the framerate was all over the place, and the general impression wasn't good.

Thankfully, once I got to strangle my first victim, the game just clicked for me. This is the most intense game I have ever played, it really gives you a true feeling of survival (playing on Hard, without listen mode, btw). Passing a segment by the skin of your teeth is immensly satisfying. So it's odd, in a way, that I'm playing a Naughty Dog game and enjoying the gameplay more than the story, which has been pretty generic zombie fare so far.

Not that I mind this, though - the chracaters are acted out so well that I can overlook the occassional generic tropes - in fact, the plot itself is getting more and more interesting. The moment in
the Capitol Building, with Tess' death, while preditacble, was beatifully acted.

Graphics have also improved - around the piont where you
first meet Ellie
is where it really kicks into high gear. There are some seriously retina-punching moments here. No idea how ND are pulling this off on a PS3.

In short, game gave me an awful first impression, but is slowly getting better and better. Love the slow pace though, makes it feel like a good novel. I assume the bit
where you first meet Bill
is where it really kicks into high gear, and judging from the development of the story this should happen soon for me, so I'm looking forward to that. 8/10 from me so far, we'll see if I will think more highly of the game towards the latter half

AniHawk

Unless Beyond Good and Evil 2 comes out this year.. and even then, an AAA game with modern ubisoft control over it? I expect Jade to be forced to free outposts, to clear parts of the map and be able to collect 200 datapods.
i was talking about rayman legends.

Vladdamad, be prepared to be blown away. Where you are right now, its just another AAA third person shooter.

Wait for it to bump up the craziness in the next few hours all the way till the end. There is no class where this game may fit (except for the A.I. that a lot of people didn't prefer).

solarus

Vladdamad, be prepared to be blown away. Where you are right now, its just another AAA third person shooter.

Wait for it to bump up the craziness in the next few hours all the way till the end. There is no class where this game may fit (except for the A.I. that a lot of people didn't prefer).
I'm also early on and I don't see how anyone could call it another aaa third person shooter, at least how i play. I've been encountering a lot of clickers for the first time and shit is intense feels like a survival horror game to me. I basically never use my gun, even at the beginning when you were fighting humans it just fealth like a tense stealth game with many options available to me. I love it. I'm so early on I can't even imagine how good it gets, I love the pacing so far.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
How's the multiplayer guys? Is it addictive?

I am planning to try it but hesitated.

Very good, I think. I've only got one qualm with it thus far, and that's the purchasable armor upgrade. Oh, and the Bill's Town map has given me awful experiences trying to snipe because of that huge road sign on one side of the map.

The metagame with the survivors does a good job of making each fight important.

Very good, I think. I've only got one qualm with it thus far, and that's the purchasable armor upgrade. Oh, and the Bill's Town map has given me awful experiences trying to snipe because of that huge road sign on one side of the map.

The metagame with the survivors does a good job of making each fight important.

Got to try it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Attempting to review this work (and even assigning it a score) at the place he is in the game is absolutely ludicrous.

In retrospect, Summer (don't read if you haven't finished Summer),
despite being the "worst" segment of the game is all the better for what it makes it you think the rest of the experience will be like. It's a setup. Thinking back to the experience of getting through Lincoln to the High School with Bill... everything was still so simple back then.

I don't mean to dismiss your opinion Vladdamad, and I wouldn't be if I wasn't so completely sure by the things you mention in your post that you will be the opposite of disappointed. Make sure you don't get spoiled on anything though; tread lightly in here.

I'm also early on and I don't see how anyone could call it another aaa third person shooter, at least how i play. I've been encountering a lot of clickers for the first time and shit is intense feels like a survival horror game to me. I basically never use my gun, even at the beginning when you were fighting humans it just fealth like a tense stealth game with many options available to me. I love it. I'm so early on I can't even imagine how good it gets, I love the pacing so far.
I'm glad you like the pacing. PREPARE TO BE BLOWN AWAY.

*runs*

Oh and please join us in spoiler thread when you're all done.

DatDude

Banned
Attempting to review this work (and even assigning it a score) at the place he is in the game is absolutely ludicrous.

despite being the "worst" segment of the game is all the better for what it makes it you think the rest of the experience will be like. It's a setup. Thinking back to the experience of getting through Lincoln to the High School with Bill... everything was still so simple back then.

I don't mean to dismiss your opinion Vladdamad, and I wouldn't be if I wasn't so completely sure by the things you mention in your post that you will be the opposite of disappointed. Make sure you don't get spoiled on anything though; tread lightly in here.

Summer was hardly the
worst

Bill was fucking awesome. The gun battles with the hunters were fucking great and a huge change of pace compared to fighting the clickers and runners.

An sam and henry were a great side line narrative, and did i forget the sewer/the side story of ish as well?

Summer is probably just as great as Winter imo.

RedSwirl

Wait, where the hell are they trying to get to? I've spent all this time thinking the game is just about them trying to get to another Quarantine Zone nearby, and now there's this time skip to Fall. How much time is supposed to have passed and where are they now?

How's the multiplayer guys? Is it addictive?

I am planning to try it but hesitated.
VERY! If you like single player, then you will love multi, and seeing it from the perspective of Firefly/Hunters is great. There is this storyline depth to multiplayer that keep it fairly engaging.

Communication is key. Teamwork is key. The game is not about K/D ratio. Its about collecting supplies for your colony, and it conveyed that message well.

DatDude

Banned
Who would want to see an open world sequel?

Still keep that strong narrative focus, but set in a more open world enviroment (ala Red Dead Redemption perhaps)

Maybe, they could make a whole city explorable, and you could use various transportations.

I'd definitely be down for that personally.

Vally

Why can I sometimes see the silhouette of an enemy through walls with Listening Mode turned off?

I think that happens when Ellie says 'be careful, there's a guy in front of you' or something like that, and the game highlights that specific enemy for a few seconds

vladdamad

Oh yeah, I'm fully aware that my opinion should change, I'm only assigning a score onto the first couple of hours to show how much I'm currently enjoying the game. I'm going to judge it fully when I finish it. Can't wait to delve further into it

DatDude

Banned
So are you saying
Fall or Spring is the worst?

None of them are really the worst. There all really good in there own right.

Personally:

1. Winter
2. Summer
3. Fall
4. Spring.

I'd say spring is the worse. An not because it's actually the worst...but because it was the shortest season...and there was some straight up difficult encounters that made me want to throw the controller into the ground.

RedSwirl

Other than Boston, this game doesn't seem to do a very good job of telling you where you actually are. I had to look up the Wiki just to figure out the prologue took place in Texas. I thought they were just headed to some other settlement just outside of the Boston zone. I didn't realize they were heading across the country and didn't even realize we'd gone all the way to other cities up to this point.

DatDude

Banned
Other than Boston, this game doesn't seem to do a very good job of telling you where you actually are. I had to look up the Wiki just to figure out the prologue took place in Texas. I thought they were just headed to some other settlement just outside of the Boston zone. I didn't realize they were heading across the country and didn't even realize we'd gone all the way to other cities up to this point.

Tess called him texas though.

An there were other subtle references thrown throuhgout the game of where he was from.

Plus the intro said what county you were in.

I imagine your not from the US? Must've made it a bit more difficult in that case.

"Behind you!"
*panics, turns around and just in time manage to get behind a desk, stealth kill the armed guard*
"Fuuuuck..."

The dynamic AI dialogue here is awesome. Here's hoping they keep taking it to the next level. There's such potential for gradual characterization with this kind of stuff. Now it's mostly combat related, but I could definitely see a game where the character is at first very grossed out, then becomes more and more cocky as the game goes on, or vice versa. Or they do like a roaming commentary of your actions.

Top Bottom