• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Andrew.

Banned
Does anyone know what are those "hidden trophies"? I found only
"No Pun intended"

There's one hidden trophy and its to hear all of Ellie's
jokes via her joke book. There are a bunch of times in Pittsburgh and the suburbs where she gets prompts to do pull out her book

PaulloDEC

Just finished the game. Goes without saying, but significant spoilers follow:

Earlier this evening I played as far as waking up in the hospital, but I ended up having to jump back in later on. Couldn't bear to wait another day with Ellie in danger like that.

Ending was really something. Not sure how I feel about it right now, it was pretty conflicting. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long wait to find out what happens next.

Also, couldn't believe Nolan North voiced David. Absolute vocal chameleon.

Trevelyan

Banned
Just finished it. Didn't see the ending coming at all. It was a good game, but one that has zero replay value to me. The variety was in the narrative and enviroment design, not in gameplay. It's a solid 4/5 experience to me, with a little less linear approach to gameplay and more variety it could've been perfect.

The story itself was merely a collection of zombie movie tropes, but it was well executed and acted. Nothing really surprised me or shocked me, I was expecting a lot more on this front because of the hype, but it just reminds me that game journos are such incompetent folk.

80% of the encounters are in sandbox areas that you can tackle in many different ways. How is that not replay-able from a gameplay perspective?

If you wanted to show your parents that video games can actually be a medium for adult storytelling and not just...well, games for kids, what would be the best scene to use?

The opening?
The Ellie and Joel conversation in the cabin? The epilogue?
Some other scene?

StuBurns

Banned
If you wanted to show your parents that video games can actually be a medium for adult storytelling and not just...well, games for kids, what would be the best scene to use?

The opening?
Some other scene?
Which scene has the best writing you mean? Henry and Joel's late night conversation is pretty fantastic.

zoukka

80% of the encounters are in sandbox areas that you can tackle in many different ways. How is that not replay-able from a gameplay perspective?

Well because I already played those sections quite optimally (stealthily) and the sections between the encounters offer only slow repetition and story exposition. I have no desire to revisit any of the encounters which is probably telling of how they were built.

Well because I already played those sections quite optimally (stealthily) and the sections between the encounters offer only slow repetition and story exposition. I have no desire to revisit any of the encounters which is probably telling of how they were built.

IMO stealthy is a smart way to play the game, but certainly not the most fun way to play. Once i really got comfortable with the controls, i started to play a lot more offensively when i had the resources to do so. Guns blazing is a hell of a lot more fun than stealth... if you survive the onslaught.

Every bullet counts.

Facism

Multiplayer needs sorting out. I hate getting matchmade into games that are already running and ending up on the team with 3 guys, 12 lives and 12 minutes left. Really fucks the meta-game.

zoukka

IMO stealthy is a smart way to play the game, but certainly not the most fun way to play. Once i really got comfortable with the controls, i started to play a lot more offensively when i had the resources to do so. Guns blazing is a hell of a lot more fun than stealth... if you survive the onslaught.

Every bullet counts.

Nah snuffing people and mushroom people silently with my bare hands gives the best feels to me.

Bladenic

The opening?
Some other scene?

My mom happened to watch me play the opening and said it was pretty damn good. She saw a few more too, like
Tess's pre death scene
and she was pretty into it. She even said she wanted to see the ending haha, but I plan on letting her see all the cutscenes.

vladdamad

what the hell do I do with the ladder in the submerged underground after the Capitol building?

If you're at the part where I think you are,
you don't do anything with it. You find the raft, help bring Ellie across the water, and then she'll drop the ladder for you so you can climb up.

Is it possible to revert back several auto saves? I just realized i missed a
safe in the hunter's hotel.
. If possible i'd like to revert back to the beginning of the entire encounter so that i can get that loot.

paparazzo

I'm a big fan of Naughty Dog but I have zero interest in zombie games/movies/tv/etc. Would I like this game? Anyone else with little to no interest in zombies end up enjoying this? Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times.

vladdamad

I'm a big fan of Naughty Dog but I have zero interest in zombie games/movies/tv/etc. Would I like this game? Anyone else with little to no interest in zombies end up enjoying this? Sorry if this has been asked a dozen times.

It's not really about the zombies from what I've played so far, it's more of a post-apocalyptic story than a zombie story. So if you're a fan of films like Children of Men or books like The Road, you should enjoy it. I mean, I hate zombie fiction as well, and I'm enjoying it so far

I'm no fan of zombies, and wish the zombie fad died 1/2 a decade ago.... BUT, TLoU is worth every penny. Don't miss it.

Seriously! you wonder what type of games some of these ppl are playing from the future lol

Goty bar none imo and ill def. be replaying it. some areas i stealthed and some i did not, next play through i will be doing most things differently and fighting my way through the areas i stealthed out of fear lol

Imo journalists and game reviews for the most part were right on point!!!! Graphics, gameplay, combat, mp, everytyhing is the top of the food chain!!!!

zoukka

The game is very oppressive in atmosphere and quite scary at times. If you like to be scared and tense throughout the game then it's a game for you.

The zombies aren't the focus at all. It's about the relationship between Joel and Ellie. If you want an incredible narrative,super tense gameplay, and downright amazing atmosphere...get TLOU

I'm not kidding about the story. Very few movies and no other game, not even The Walking Dead, made me get so emotionally invested and care for the characters so much. There were times where literally my chest was tight. I cares about these characters.

A good amount is not actually fighting "infected" but humans trying to rip your head off. the combat is awesome and everytyhing else, so i think that even if your not into zombies youll like this game.

deim0s

I'm not kidding about the story. Very few movies and no other game, not even The Walking Dead, made me get so emotionally invested and care for the characters so much. There were times where literally my chest was tight. I cares about these characters.

The characters carried me thru the game and damn ND did a very good job at it. It made me want to actually care and protect Ellie. So at the end, I actually kind of understand
Joel's decision, even it is sad and selfish of him

GOTG for me.

Holy shit...Survivor is the way to play

So intense, you have to stay on the move, improvise on the way, really plan your tactics and stay stealthy

Andrew.

Banned
Fully supplemented Joel feels good man.

Also that training manual in the suburbs
hidden in the attic? That was def one I missed on my first round. Pretty cool to open it up send Ellie up there to grab it for you. Its a damn good one too. Melee upgrade x2

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fully supplemented Joel feels good man.

Also that training manual in the suburbs
hidden in the attic? That was def one I missed on my first round. Pretty cool to open it up send Ellie up there to grab it for you. Its a damn good one too. Melee upgrade x2

Which chapter is that?

Andrew.

Banned
Which chapter is that?

Chapter 6?
It's when you're with Michael and Walt and you're scouring the neighborhood. Right before the
sniper segment
. It's in a brick house. Go up to the second floor and there will be an attic entrance in the hallway ceiling. You pull down the cord and send Ellie up for supplies.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like Joel takes less damage when he's shot from behind

I was doing a section and I meleed a guy then run. Enemies were shooting at me and I was getting hit, but it seemed like the impacts did less damage than usual

I'm thinking maybe it's because the bullets are hitting the backpack? Which would be cool snd smart

I'm playing on Survivor too

Does anyone have any combat tips they would like to share.

This morning I read that when you are in melee combat and knock someone (or the infected) to the ground you can tap L1 which will draw your gun and automatically aim at the opponents head. Pressing R1 will pull the trigger.

I have yet to try this technique, but would appreciate if someone you verify it. I’d also definitely like to know other combat maneuvers I may not know about.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Would someone be kind enough to tell me how far I am in the game?
I just loaded up at Bill's armory before gathering parts for the car

Andrew.

Banned

This morning I read that when you are in melee combat and knock someone (or the infected) to the ground you can tap L1 which will draw your gun and automatically aim at the opponents head. Pressing R1 will pull the trigger.

I have yet to try this technique, but would appreciate if someone you verify it. I’d also definitely like to know other combat maneuvers I may not know about.

That does indeed work.

Do you know about tossing a brick/bottle at someone (not clickers) and then running up to them for a one hit melee weapon kill?

StuBurns

Banned

It's true, but it's kind of pointless because the next melee will always kill them at that point.

It looks badass though.
Would someone be kind enough to tell me how far I am in the game?
I just loaded up at Bill's armory before gathering parts for the car
Really early, like a sixth through maybe.

BossLackey

Gold Member

Yeah, I've done that a few times on accident. Pretty cool.

BossLackey

Gold Member
It's true, but it's kind of pointless because the next melee will always kill them at that point.

It looks badass though.

Really early, like a sixth through maybe.

Thanks. I didn't realize I was only that far. This game is so dense with details, I'm glad I have so much more left.

That does indeed work.

Do you know about tossing a brick/bottle at someone (not clickers) and then running up to them for a one hit melee weapon kill?

I've been hitting people with bricks and running up to them, grabbing them, and choking them to death. So if i hit them with a brick, i can run up, hit the combat button, and it will 1 hit kill them without having to grab them?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been hitting people with bricks and running up to them, grabbing them, and choking them to death. So if i hit them with a brick, i can run up, hit the combat button, and it will 1 hit kill them without having to grab them?
If you have a melee weapon, yes, with some of the most brutally satisfying animations in the game.

Top Bottom