• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Yeah, this is exactly what happened for me. Since he somehow knows that the guy he grabbed is the last guy he just decides to stomp his face in. But apparently that triggers the "whoops you caused noise" magic emergency guards.

Yeah, this has happened to me a number of times.

Sometimes it doesn't happen, though, it's kind of inconsistent.

It's really annoying when it brings in the reinforcements, though... I wish there was a way to prevent it.

Any word yet on when Naughty Dog will patch the trophies? They’re ridiculously glitchy.

Which ones are glitching out for you? Should I wait on finishing my Survivor + play through?

Which ones are glitching out for you? Should I wait on finishing my Survivor + play through?

Pretty much all of them! I got the 'get all collectables' one before I even got them all. Also, find all the shiv doors one didn't unlock. Same with all the firefly pendants.

People are reporting that if you beat the game on normal the easy one won't unlock sometimes. It's pretty much a huge mess at the moment......it's really frustrating.

Pretty much all of them! I got the 'get all collectables' one before I even got them all. Also, find all the shiv doors one didn't unlock. Same with all the firefly pendants.

People are reporting that if you beat the game on normal the easy one won't unlock sometimes. It's pretty much a huge mess at the moment......it's really frustrating.

Ah. Yeah, I beat the game on Hard first and didn't get the Easy trophy. I hope they all pop the second time around.

The collectibles trophies not popping sounds worrisome.

Andrew.

Banned
Pretty much all of them! I got the 'get all collectables' one before I even got them all. Also, finding all the shiv doors one didn't unlock. Same with all the firefly pendants.

People are reporting that if you beat the game on normal the easy one won't unlock sometimes. It's pretty much a huge mess at the moment.....it's really frustrating! -_-

Nice. I finished on Hard and didnt get the Easy troph =/

Ah. Yeah, I beat the game on Hard first and didn't get the Easy trophy. I hope they all pop the second time around.

The collectibles trophies not popping sounds worrisome.

Nice. I finished on Hard and didnt get the Easy troph =/

The in-game counter for the collectables is crazy glitched. I counted how many I had in the in-game stats page and I counted 136. I then checked my save file data and it said 141! : /

The in-game counter for the collectables is crazy glitched. I counted how many I had in the in-game stats page and I counted 136. I then checked my save file data and it said 141! : /

Hmm. Well I am following a collectables guide for my Survivor + play through so even if the counter is bugged I should have them all by the end.

Just completed the game so I thought I would head onto the multiplayer now but the last 2 times I tried to connect my ps3 froze, anyone know why?

Do the collectables stay with you once you go through the game again?

From what I've read they carry over but you can still pick them up again. I tried going into chapter select to get the last ones again, but no dice. I'll probably have to delete my save file!

By the way, I finished the game on normal and I got no trophies for beating the game. None! I even re-started the last chapter and watched the credits again - NOTHING! It sucks! -___-

Flo_Evans

This game. THIS GAME.

ugh. I played multiplayer for about 4 hours, got kinda tired of that so decided to check out SURVIVAL difficulty. Holy crap. Stayed up all night and got to the
Pittsburg Library

Survival difficulty is no fucking joke. I am walking around with half a can of nails, and 3 bullets between 3 guns for like an hour.

Wakaloo

Neo Member
Nah the game works perfectly for a film imo.

It basically is a film, just in an interactive form.

Also, not everyone plays video games, doesn't mean they should be left out from the experience.

Just how not everyone reads books, they still make movies from those stories in books.

Keep the same story of ellie and joel and make it into film. It will have a blockbuster weekend opening, watch.

I think a tv series would work much better than a film.

In any case, it'd be seen as a fusion of The Walking Dead and Children of Men (btw I think TLOU borrows much more from CoM than traditional zombie apocalypse fictions, which is a film I love, so i'm cool with it :D)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also, not everyone plays video games, doesn't mean they should be left out from the experience.
They can watch a playthrough. Neither that or watching a freaking film version would actual enable them to have the experience, but the playthrough would get them closer. There is absolutely no justification for turning this game into a non-interactive video work.

There were unscripted moments during my playthrough I remember just as vividly as the strongest narrative story beats.

Vally

I'm in Spring, very close to the end of the game I guess.
It's like I'm suddenly playing Uncharted, shooting bullet sponge armored dudes with an assault rifle... I think I'll stick to melee weapons and bombs as much as I can for this encounter.

Also GIRAFFES, I have to say the first thing that came to mind was Geoff Keighley and all that fuss about the giraffe, so that somehow ruined what should have been a beautiful moment lol. Was that a reference to this game, then?
I can't wait to finish the game and run to the spoiler thread... 60 pages already so there must be some meaty discussion over there.

So...given price parity, I'm debating whether to head to the shops as planned or go for the download.

A few questions - How is replay value? I'm not talking multi-player, but the main game.

Next, I LOVED the first two Uncharted games, liked Golden Abyss but thought U3 was a big, bloated disappointment. Not because of its length, I just don't think it came together, it felt like a dead end creatively to me. How is this in comparison?

Finally, I like what I'm hearing about the general melancholy and so forth and my favourite video game stories are Silent Hill 2 & Shattered Memories. I know it's not the same kind of game, but is the general mood likely to appeal?

Can someone who is fairly far in winter/completed winter let me know if this is a game breaking bug or if I'm.just finding a random bug ? Spoilers lie ahead.

I'm playing as Ellie making her escape, and I've gone through the snowstorm and climbed the window into the diner. There's another open window above a table, so I climb the table and climb into the window and Ellie gets stuck, everything turns white and I die in the window every time. Not sure if I'm supposed to be allowed to climb into this window by game law, but not sure where else to go.

Edit, just found the door. See, this is the frustrating buggy shit I'm talking about. Roar.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can someone who is fairly far in winter/completed winter let me know if this is a game breaking bug or if I'm.just finding a random bug ? Spoilers lie ahead.

I'm playing as Ellie making her escape, and I've gone through the snowstorm and climbed the window into the diner. There's another open window above a table, so I climb the table and climb into the window and Ellie gets stuck, everything turns white and I die in the window every time. Not sure if I'm supposed to be allowed to climb into this window by game law, but not sure where else to go.
The front door. Godspeed.

The front door. Godspeed.

Thanks! And fuck.

when I was walking through this place with it empty I thought no way, this is the perfect area for a stealth Jurassic park survival scenario, even crunchy glass on the floor...maybe ND thought having nothing in here was cool since you'd expect something. Then bam, dude locks the door. Welp...

wastewater

Neo Member
Just completed the game so I thought I would head onto the multiplayer now but the last 2 times I tried to connect my ps3 froze, anyone know why?

I don't know why but it's happened to me a few times too. It's the only technical issue i've had with it so far (apart from the day one save glitch.)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game. THIS GAME.

ugh. I played multiplayer for about 4 hours, got kinda tired of that so decided to check out SURVIVAL difficulty. Holy crap. Stayed up all night and got to the
Pittsburg Library

Survival difficulty is no fucking joke. I am walking around with half a can of nails, and 3 bullets between 3 guns for like an hour.

Right now I'm in kind of a tough spot... I'm at the
bridge checkpoint. I have very little health, and no kits. I've been able to save ammo, so I have 5 arrows, 1 rifle round, 3 shotgun slugs, a nail bomb and 2 molotovs. I stealthed all the way around to the gate, but you can't open it! Apparently, you have to kill all these guys. And with the weapons I have, I probably could. But in the back of my mind I know the sewer is right around the corner, and oh god, the stalkers/clickers in there made that super difficult even on hard.

I don't want to use my weapons here when I'm going to need them soon, right up ahead!

*Sigh*...

I reviewed this for Save/Continue, giving it a 9/10.

With exception to the extraneous multiplayer, The Last of Us is one of the most consistently enjoyable games in a long time. While not wholly evolutionary, the weaving of gameplay with story to create a thick atmosphere and clear direction is a far cry from failed attempts at traditional cinematic storytelling we’ve seen. Each facet is individually enjoyable, but it’s the way each one works together that really sells and elevates it.

Gritesh

I don't know if this has been discusses yet or not but:

Did anyone else pick up on any hints that the character bill from that town was/is gay. I haven't finished the game yet, but the way he talks about his ''partner'' and someone that he really cared about. How ellie stole that magazine that was a nude magazine clearly featuring male characters and that the pages where stuck together. Maybe there were more hints too I'm not sure but I just got that vibe.

So...given price parity, I'm debating whether to head to the shops as planned or go for the download.

A few questions - How is replay value? I'm not talking multi-player, but the main game.

Next, I LOVED the first two Uncharted games, liked Golden Abyss but thought U3 was a big, bloated disappointment. Not because of its length, I just don't think it came together, it felt like a dead end creatively to me. How is this in comparison?

Finally, I like what I'm hearing about the general melancholy and so forth and my favourite video game stories are Silent Hill 2 & Shattered Memories. I know it's not the same kind of game, but is the general mood likely to appeal?

I don't know about replay value because I have't finished the game yet but if you're like me and scavenge every single corner RE old school style, you'll probably finish the game in 25 hours. Right now I'm at 70% completed and near 20 hours... It's better than UC2. The general mood in this game is desolate, forsaken world mixed with melancholy... It's a great game. Sublime.

Did anyone else pick up on any hints that the character bill from that town was/is gay. I haven't finished the game yet, but the way he talks about his ''partner'' and someone that he really cared about. How ellie stole that magazine that was a nude magazine clearly featuring male characters and that the pages where stuck together. Maybe there were more hints too I'm not sure but I just got that vibe.

Definitely was, which I thought was cool. Badass Bill.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

He is. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. That it was presented as merely ancillary to his character and nothing of particular note was perfect.

Gritesh

He is. No doubt in my mind whatsoever. That it was presented as merely ancillary to his character and nothing of particular note was perfect.
Yeah I really like the way that if your paying attention you can pick up on subtle hints and piece all the information about characters in this game without them coming right out and making their backgrounds completely obvious. Great design choice and I like the way they went about it.

Andrew.

Banned
Im going to end up having collected everything but ONE Firefly pendant at the beginning of the game. Hopefully when I start the Survivor run and pick it up, trophies will unlock. If I gotta go through again and collect everything that will not be cool.

Mr. RHC

Aaaand done. 13 hours. Same with recently played games to a degree. Why is this game primarily a shooter? Less shooting, less collecting, less crafting respec. more detailed crafting and more interaction with the environment and or the characters would have made, and and probably any game so much better.

Weak beginning, the game really just felt like getting decent from
Tommy's
onwards.
Definitely kept me playing, it's not a difficult game on normal, if you want to progress you can do that.
The story gets you thinking and maybe empathizing, so I'd say this is a plus to a degree.

I liked the notion that Joel is not some kind of superhuman in his actions compared to Drake, but I does not help the fake realism in this game that is all over the place.

But the idea that Ellie is that happy unbothered girl and a killing people left and right is probably
complete and utter nonsense.
That is debatable, however. Some dialogues are really funny in this game, not on the same track like previous Naughty Dog's work though.

As I have mentioned earlier, by definition, TLOU is not game of the forever material for me, it takes more than that. I can recommend it if you enjoy third person action adventures though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit this game gets amazing.

Just taking control of Joel again during Winter
The emotional impact of the acceleration in pace from that point up until the end of the chapter, followed by the
slow, languishing, serene introduction of Spring in Salt Lake City
... just unprecedented
But the idea that Ellie is that happy unbothered girl and a killing people left and right is probably
complete and utter nonsense.
Could you clarify that please? I have no idea what you mean.

Andrew.

Banned
Why is this game primarily a shooter?

It really isn't. You unfortunately just played it that way which is actually a testament to how good it is. It's a stealth action adventure survial horror hybrid with options on how to confront combat situations.

more interaction with the environment and or the characters would have made, and and probably any game so much better.

Im guessing you missed out on a bunch of collectibles and optional side conversations? There are instances where interaction with the environment does occur.

it's not a difficult game on normal

Well that's one definite mistake you made. You were probably given heaps of ammo which in turn, allowed you to go buckwild with your guns and consequently gave you the notion that the game is primarily a TPS.

But the idea that Ellie is that happy unbothered girl and a killing people left and right is probably complete and utter nonsense.

This makes no sense whatsoever

Some dialogues are really funny in this game, not on the same track like previous Naughty Dog's work though.

What ND game, in your opinion, has better dialogue than this?

StuBurns

Banned
It's not fair to say playing on normal is a mistake. It's the default difficulty, and it's considerably easier than normal for the Uncharted series. People aren't mind readers, they choose difficulty based on experience and the descriptions, and there wasn't a description, and the experience of the teams earlier games would lead someone to believe normal is more challenging than it is.

Im going to end up having collected everything but ONE Firefly pendant at the beginning of the game. Hopefully when I start the Survivor run and pick it up, trophies will unlock. If I gotta go through again and collect everything that will not be cool.

Good luck! I think I'll just wait for a patch before I even bother going for more trophies. Apparently the collectable trophies are less glitchy when you get them in one play through. I mean take a look at how many glitches people are having!

It's not fair to say playing on normal is a mistake. It's the default difficulty, and it's considerably easier than normal for the Uncharted series. People aren't mind readers, they choose difficulty based on experience and the descriptions, and there wasn't a description, and the experience of the teams earlier games would lead someone to believe normal is more challenging than it is.

I think it's fair. If you want a challenge in a game then you should always pick the highest difficulty offered. Anything below that is obviously going to present an easier challenge.

Andrew.

Banned
It's not fair to say playing on normal is a mistake.

Id say it is considering the assload of people coming into the thread saying either that the game was easy on Normal upon completion or that they shouldnt have started on Normal because of how easy it is.

StuBurns

Banned
I think it's fair. If you want a challenge in a game then you should always pick the highest difficulty offered. Anything below that is obviously going to present an easier challenge.
What happens if that's traditionally too difficult for the specific player? If they think the UC1/2 normal difficulty is exactly what they want?

I'm playing on hard and finding it fairly challenging actually, definitely died an embarrassing number of times.

That said, the game feels balanced at this difficulty. I never have a lot of ammo so it forces me to experiment and really explore each location on the off chance I find a few rounds lying about.

Ourobolus

Banned

There's a fine line between challenging and annoying though. UC2 Crushing was definitely more difficult than Hard, but it was just ridiculous with the enemy waves and the bullshit final boss fight. Hard still provided a good level of challenge while preserving my sanity.

Andrew.

Banned
What happens if that's traditionally too difficult for the specific player? If they think the UC1/2 normal difficulty is exactly what they want?

Well this game isnt Uncharted, so thats another mistake you're going to make assuming the difficulty is on the same level as a completely different game.

StuBurns

Banned
Well this game isnt Uncharted, so thats another mistake you're going to make assuming the difficulty is on the same level as a completely different game.
I disagree it's completely different, but that's irrelevant, it's the same people, it's not unreasonable to imagine it's tuned to a similar difficulty. Ultimately, just listing a few difficulty choices with no context whatsoever makes it difficult to choose which is fitting your deserved experience.

Top Bottom