• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Bricks hurt more, bottles make more noise. I'm on #TeamBottle because more often I was using the throwables to lure enemies into planned traps or headshots, or just distract them to get a clear path to the exit, than for offense.

Higher difficulties, survivor specifically, is Team Brick all the way. It does everything the bottle does, but even allows you to preserve your melee weapon, since the brick is a single-use melee kill itself.

The better noise attraction of bottles is good, but on scavenger, with resources so low, it's hard to ever choose a bottle over a brick.

You chose the most unrecognizable picture of Ellen I've ever seen. If you look at what she usually looks like, during her recent beyond interviews, it.makes.more sense.

Also the end if winter was great and
got me choked up. I'm glad she saved herself and it wasn't the cliche Joel comes in at the nick of time. Goes to show her trying until.the very end made surviving possible.

bakedpony

I just watched all the scenes in the cutscene viewer and why the hell is the last scene in winter missing? It's not an in-game scene so it should be available there! Hope this will be fixed whenever the next patch comes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Higher difficulties, survivor specifically, is Team Brick all the way. It does everything the bottle does, but even allows you to preserve your melee weapon, since the brick is a single-use melee kill itself.

The better noise attraction of bottles is good, but on scavenger, with resources so low, it's hard to ever choose a bottle over a brick.
"Higher difficulties"? :p What is there besides survivor! Whatevs, I love my bottles, they did me damn fine on no listen/hard. :)
bakedpony said:
I just watched all the scenes in the cutscene viewer and why the hell is the last scene in winter missing?
What the hell, seriously? That blows!

edit: Whoa, Marlene is Alyx Vance?

daveo42

Banned
That fine.

Really don't know how you disagree with the game trivializing death though. Dying in this game means nothing, the most you lose is 1 minute or less of gameplay due to the rampant autosaving. There's no tension because there's nothing at stake to lose.

If the game had traditional save points and no autosaving, it would've been a much better experience.

I think the autosave function was near perfect mainly because of the clickers. Instakill enemies can be handled pretty poorly and frustrate characters when they have to replay sections several times. Not loosing much in the way of progress and being confronted by several of these enemies keeps the game both tense and fun without devolving into frustration.

I almost think a normal save system would take me out of the game more than having the game save in the background automatically. Even if it makes sense in the game world, it still breaks up the pacing and flow of the game. Letting it go and being placed back a few minutes is about the best we could have asked for from a gameplay standpoint.

Evolved1

I think the autosave function was near perfect mainly because of the clickers. Instakill enemies can be handled pretty poorly and frustrate characters when they have to replay sections several times. Not loosing much in the way of progress and being confronted by several of these enemies keeps the game both tense and fun without devolving into frustration.

I almost think a normal save system would take me out of the game more than having the game save in the background automatically. Even if it makes sense in the game world, it still breaks up the pacing and flow of the game. Letting it go and being placed back a few minutes is about the best we could have asked for from a gameplay standpoint.

Agree 100%... I love the mechanics here. The fact that everything is seemingly instant too is great. The game is far more replayable because of it, imo.

I like challenge, not frustration.

Dead

well not really...yet
I kinda feel like I might be rushing through the game, even though Im not.

Im about 42% through and my game clock reads about 6 hours. I don't see how this can stretch to 17-20 hours :(

is it just me or the disconnect of damage kinda weird? Like clickers 1hit kill you, while everyone else can wail at you a while before you die. Would make sense if you were more vulnerable right? Or thats what happens on higher difficulties?

Also is there some obvious sign of when I needa clear the room before I progress? I usually can't tell...

Also... I'm a bit confused about the lore stuff. Getting bit = you are doomed. Yet joel isn't killed by 1 hit by other zombies... and he can choke out some... You'd think the baddies are covered in that evil pollen stuff.

Is this all explained storywise (no spoilers), or just gameplay choices?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't had near the time to play this that I'd like--probably around 3 hours in after last night.

Really loving it though. Trying to sneak around as much as possible. Played around 90 minutes last night and don't think I used any bullets. Clickers are a pain when you're out of Shivs though!

Should be able to play a good bit tonight, then will be out of town for a few days.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Agree 100%.

But I don't play games for challenge and have little patience for replaying sections, so I can see why other types of gamers wouldn't like it.

Evolved1

Agree 100%.

But I don't play games for challenge and have little patience for replaying sections, so I can see why other types of gamers wouldn't like it.

It's still challenging... it's just not a waste of frigging time.

Squire

Banned
So I wanna get the season pass for the documentary. Is it up on the store? The doc I mean. Saw someone post that they bought the pass but the doc wasn't available yet.

First off, be aware that there are running melee attacks and they are fucking awesome. Second of all, melee priority is pretty natural.. you'll just come to understand the timing as you play. You can use the environment (walls, tables, doors) to your advantage by meleeing enemies "toward" them. The grab prompt occurs anytime you're facing an enemy's back, which will sometimes occur as you land a couple blows in melee and they're facing the ground. At these moments you can also pull out your gun for a instant headshot (you'll be targeting the head immediately), or you can go for the grab. However, some fiesty enemies will throw off you grab so it'll just be a shove.

I'm assuming running melee is just L2 up and square at a guy? Will try that.

Just finished it. Damn, GOTY. Some of the violence towards the end kinda made me queasy, particularly that committed by Joel (
in cut-scenes

Completed the game on Hard and wanna replay now. How difficult is Survivor? I found Hard fine and for future New Game+ I'd prolly prefer Survivor so kinda leaning towards doing a Survivor run atm.

fallingdove

Im about 42% through and my game clock reads about 6 hours. I don't see how this can stretch to 17-20 hours :(

I wonder if that percentage indicator is incorrect. That is about what showed when I was around 5 1/2 - 6 hours and I ended up completing the game in 15.

By the way - I took the day off of work and played through in one sitting. What an incredible game! GOTY for me for sure. The pacing from Fall to Winter to Spring was incredible.

Just finished it. Damn, GOTY. Some of the violence towards the end kinda made me queasy, particularly that committed by Joel (
in cut-scenes

Completed the game on Hard and wanna replay now. How difficult is Survivor? I found Hard fine and for future New Game+ I'd prolly prefer Survivor so kinda leaning towards doing a Survivor run atm.

I'm finding Survivor to be pretty much the same just with less resources available. Blades are so rare...

daveo42

Banned
I wonder if that percentage indicator is incorrect. That is about what showed when I was around 5 1/2 - 6 hours and I ended up completing the game in 15.

By the way - I took the day off of work and played through in one sitting. What an incredible game! GOTY for me for sure. The pacing from Fall to Winter to Spring was incredible.

I think the percentage is based on completed versus total chapters in the game. A few of the chapters themselves are actually quite long and do take some time getting through.

Ok. I cannot be alone. Who else is frustrating by how careless Ellie and Joel are? It's one thing to be slamming ladders and garage doors as hard as possible all the time. I cannot fathom why these two fucktards consistently body slam anything they need to get down to.

It's happened the whole game (that platform is hanging by a thread, let's both jump on it and run at the same time!)
but it just caused major water drama in the spring section with the bus and rough tide.

They're idiots.

Superflat

Ok. I cannot be alone. Who else is frustrating by how careless Ellie and Joel are? It's one thing to be slamming ladders and garage doors as hard as possible all the time. I cannot fathom why these two fucktards consistently body slam anything they need to get down to.

It's happened the whole game (that platform is hanging by a thread, let's both jump on it and run at the same time!)
but it just caused major water drama in the spring section with the bus and rough tide.

They're idiots.

The only time that really bugged me was when they both
jumped down something like 8 feet at full force down on a partially suspended elevator.
WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!!

edit: spoilered the part just in case, but it's from the extended E3 gameplay footage from forever ago.

Flo_Evans

Also on combat: I was low on ammo, getting chased by runners. Climbed up on top of a bus thinking they wouldn't get me and I could take a break... wrong! They can run and climb! No time to reload my gun and no 2x4's so I start punching them. Joel takes a few swings then gives them a swift kick in the chest and sends them flying off the bus. Took out a swarm of 5 this way and didn't get hit once.

King of the hill! lol this game is so great. I am kind of loving survivor difficulty because it is making me try different stuff instead of just crouching behind cover and going for headshots/or going for stealth kills. The hand to hand is pretty damn good but I had no reason to use it on normal with plenty of bullets.

iNvid02

Alright, before I have a panic attack, I need someone to spoil something for me.

Do you ever run into like some sort of underwater infected? Like when you have to swim underwater and shit?

that would have been too cruel, can you imagine
a bloater just rising out of the water in the hotel or subway

ttocs

Also on combat: I was low on ammo, getting chased by runners. Climbed up on top of a bus thinking they wouldn't get me and I could take a break... wrong! They can run and climb! No time to reload my gun and no 2x4's so I start punching them. Joel takes a few swings then gives them a swift kick in the chest and sends them flying off the bus. Took out a swarm of 5 this way and didn't get hit once.

King of the hill! lol this game is so great. I am kind of loving survivor difficulty because it is making me try different stuff instead of just crouching behind cover and going for headshots/or going for stealth kills. The hand to hand is pretty damn good but I had no reason to use it on normal with plenty of bullets.

I actually wish I played on hard instead of normal the first time through. I'm finding the game a fair difficulty, but I am rarely in situations where I'm out of ammo and scared. Usually I can just blow past enemies with enough ammo and molotovs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually wish I played on hard instead of normal the first time through. I'm finding the game a fair difficulty, but I am rarely in situations where I'm out of ammo and scared. Usually I can just blow past enemies with enough ammo and molotovs.
You can switch and you should right now.

"Gather parts to fix up a car to progress"

Must EVERY zombie game have this? And I was just playing this stage in L4D2 the other day :/

game of the decade my potato.

That really did kill my moment of keep playing last night anyhow.

Must EVERY zombie game have this? And I was just playing this stage in L4D2 the other day :/

Ummm this made sense in the context of the story... do you really want them traveling on foot the entire time? I just find this a bit of a silly statement man. It's such a miniscule moment in the entirety of the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

whaaa. It doesn't even... well whatever, I don't know where exactly you just stopped. you've experienced very little of what the game has to offer so far.

It isn't like they put some waypoints on a map and say "go at it".

At least play the section before complaining about it.

deim0s

Yes to fix the car, you'd need 3 shivs, a first aid kit, 2 shotgun shells, sugar, and a bottle of alcohol.

Pretty sure I'm close to the end. I'm currently
being stealthy Joel against the.fireflies

Are you surprised that this section is causing me frustration? I did really enjoy the
clickers, runners and bloaters on the way here though, that was fun stealth. This is hell.

Jubs

Encountered this annoying glitch where my health bar was blacked out, prevemting me from seeing how much life i had. Had to exit the entire game to fix it.

Are you surprised that this section is causing me frustration? I did really enjoy the
clickers, runners and bloaters on the way here though, that was fun stealth. This is hell.
If you want an easy way through,
abuse your smoke bombs. Made it a cakewalk for me.

void666

Banned

For me this part felt like
max payne 3.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

This is the last challenge you'll experience in the game. It is very difficult. Smoke bombs and molotovs are very helpful.

gGHi3DQ.jpg

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1gspsf/clicker_cosplay_the_last_of_us/

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

I felt the same way at that point in the game.

I'm currently at 90% completion, and my game time is 21 hours. Yeah, dat mid game stretch. I don't know what it is, but the game has been taking a pleasantly long time. I'm close to the end, though.

So I wanna get the season pass for the documentary. Is it up on the store? The doc I mean. Saw someone post that they bought the pass but the doc wasn't available yet.

It's availabe through the game if you're from NA but for EU it's currently delayed due to subtitle issues.

I really love the sense of progression in this game. I am still in SUMMER,
the progression through Pittsburg towards the Bridge
is really amazing. The periodic vistas where it slowly get closer and closer are perfect. I actually feel like i've tromped through a city... every flight of stair, hallway, room, and street i've walked through has led me to the goal.

Superflat

After you realize where the exits are, it's super easy to sneak through. I do admit that the
clickers, runners and bloaters on the way there was one of the most satisfying stealth sections I've played in the game.

Top Bottom