• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

StuBurns

Banned
I'm about 45 minutes into winter. Wow.

That being said, this game's weakness in my eyes is its lust for throwing 50 enemies at you.
my horse just got shot and I'm.playing ellie vs 50 guys scattered everywhere. I feel like the ai/game design doesn't allow for true stealth gameplay. I can't move bodies, so anyone I shoot with a bow is discovered in 5 seconds by allies. I guess I need to slowly take them all out. Joy.
If you grab people you can move them around before you kill them, not where you are, but normally.

ViPERx64

Neo Member
What was
everyone's playtime? I got 10:34:05, and people seem to insist that the average playtime is much longer. I don't feel like I rushed it, and I certainly explored (finding combinations to safe's, letters from the past, pendants). Did anybody manage shorter on their first playthrough? Or just a bit longer? (This was on Normal, by the way)

It took me around 13.5 hours to complete the game, have 97 collectables.

JB1981

So by watching the grounded documentary, I finally found out how to trigger hostile npc's to drop to their knees and beg for their lives, similar to how that e3 demo ended.

Throw a brick/bottle at them, melee them with your fist while stunned, and then when you draw your weapon it immediately locks on their head.

I'll be doing this a lot.

Wow did not know this. Awesome

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
If you grab people you can move them around before you kill them, not where you are, but normally.
This, and you can still stealth while enemies are alerted by a body. I they see you that's a different story.

Also that begging thing is cool. I'll do this a lot on my next run.

owlbeak

What was
everyone's playtime? I got 10:34:05, and people seem to insist that the average playtime is much longer. I don't feel like I rushed it, and I certainly explored (finding combinations to safe's, letters from the past, pendants). Did anybody manage shorter on their first playthrough? Or just a bit longer? (This was on Normal, by the way)
23:02 Hard mode, no listen mode. Scoured every corner of the maps for collectibles. Ended up with 140.

Thanks. I'll mix this up.with more bottle/brick methods.

That
reveal
before this section, damn bros.
that was a pretty hostile group for a bunch of food scouts led by a rational man! Clearly he's the Rick and they're the Shanes.

Interfectum

Beat the game. Not perfect, probably overhyped by the gaming press but fuck it was a fantastic ride. Games like these is the reason why I keep up with this damn hobby. Such a great time.

Footos22

16 hours 15 mins 87% 100 collectibles

glad i got passed that
Uni
in the end, fucking gliitches in that level was beyond terrible. Eveything since then though has been incredible.

Just
stabbed the fuck out of David as Ellie
cant wait to finish up tonight.

So by watching the grounded documentary, I finally found out how to trigger hostile npc's to drop to their knees and beg for their lives, similar to how that e3 demo ended.

Throw a brick/bottle at them, melee them with your fist while stunned, and then when you draw your weapon it immediately locks on their head.

I'll be doing this a lot.

Was wondering about that because it hadn't happened and I'm past the part where ND demoed it. Going to try it out when I get back in the game. Loving it so far, though I keep wanting to jump and climb like Drake.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Random thought, any gameplay reason why we arent allowed to move dead guards? Would that make the stealth gameplay too easy by being able to hide the bodies?

I
killed the bastards. There was a propane canister, and I used that to kill the Bloater. Ran around, used Molotov's. Planted a nail bomb, and that took out a few. Couple of well placed shots later, and everything was dead. I was really confused, I thought this was a Resident Evil style 'the Bloater has the key' scenario. When I killed him, I had to go looking for the keycard, and I couldn't see shit in that room.

Lol, I did the same thing even though I tried to play through the rest of the game as stealthy as possible.

Random thought, any gameplay reason why we arent allowed to move dead guards? Would that make the stealth gameplay too easy by being able to hide the bodies?

There are a lot of things we can't do.

Particularly, stealth kills from cover or around corners. Why can't we do that? You can do it in Uncharted 2 and 3, but it's not in this game? I don't get it.

Pranay

So the game has been charting at top in all EU region (pal charts)

and the game will have supply issues in japan as its having a good sellthrough.

Cant wait for for numbers for npd next month

are we talking about some puzzling things now?

-You can get stuck just about anywhere. In a warehouse trying to get to a ladder I originally climbed a wall and walked sideways on it. I walked onto this patch of metal and in reality I could have reached the ladder but in the game I was locked on that item, could only walk in place and had to reload my game.

That has actually happened a few times, I get stuck on items and can't walk off or I do this falling in place animation and eventually die.

Others:
-ND feels the need to include another flight of stairs in every building only to barricade it with furniture
-There are about 3 human enemy character models throughout the game
-There are about 4 runner character models
-Can't move bodies

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wow. What a fucking game.

I was playing last night from about 1AM, finished playing at around 6:30AM.. I had no idea what time it was until I paused the game and saw sunlight. I got completely lost in it.. It felt like only 2 hours. Haven't had that happen to me in years.

Almost through the Winter section. Its pretty much perfect to me, it will go down as one of my favorite games of all time.

Also, apparently if you have the season pass make sure you turn of the bonus perks because it messes with the NG+ and all of your upgrades wont carry over. I had to do my survivor run basically from scratch. Now I have to run through about half the game to upgrade everything, damn wastw of time.

I didn't know you could do this. I bought the pass after I was already 50% through the game, was wondering if there was a way to disable the single player bonuses for a completely fresh start. Don't know how you do it but i'm glad to know the option is there

khaaan

Now that I finished up summer school I can finally play this game tonight, super excited!
Question though, has the save issue been resolved? Should I disconnect my PS3 from the internet? I'm also running firmware 4.45 but the PS3 seems to be working fine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now that I finished up summer school I can finally play this game tonight, super excited!
Question though, has the save issue been resolved? Should I disconnect my PS3 from the internet? I'm also running firmware 4.45 but the PS3 seems to be working fine.
Yeah apparently it's fully gone.

ultron87

The fresh enemy packs spawning after you've stealth killed everyone is such a bummer. They do such a great job with immersion most of the time that super gamey stuff like this really hurts the experience.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I didn't know you could do this. I bought the pass after I was already 50% through the game, was wondering if there was a way to disable the single player bonuses for a completely fresh start. Don't know how you do it but i'm glad to know the option is there

Just bought the season pass, I have already started my new game plus though. Do I need to do anything to avoid something being screwed up?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fresh enemy packs spawning after you've stealth killed everyone is such a bummer. They do such a great job with immersion most of the time that super gamey stuff like this really hurts the experience.
Man I literally never experienced this a single time. I don't get what the trigger could be that it would never have occurred.

BigTnaples

Huh? Never had that happen a single time?

ultron87

Man I literally never experienced this a single time. I don't get what the trigger could be that it would never have occurred.

Huh? Never had that happen a single time?

Well I just had a specific example last night: (Hotel section spoiler)
When you first get outside in the big fight where Joel gives Ellie the rifle, I stealth killed everybody, and then three more guys spawn and just walk into the area from one of the rooms you've already cleared.

You don't actually see them spawn, but they just kind of appear when you take out the last guy. This was on Hard so I have no idea if that makes a difference.

BigTnaples

Apparently you need to turn off the season pass bonus perks or they might mess with things carrying over in new game plus.

Well that's what I mean, I already started the new game plus, everything carried over perfectly, I stopped playing, went onto PSN and bought the Season Pass. Do I still need to disable anything or since the NewGame+ file is already created should I be okay? And if so, where do you disable the perks?

I don't know if you guys noticed but I have now arrived at the
sewers
and I noticed a measuring ruler for the
sewage water
and I noticed Joel is only 5"1 when you line up with it (and yes, I did measure from the bottom up). Either ND got their dimensions wrong or everybody somehow dropped their size since the outbreak. I wish I had a screenshot but you would know the moment you enter that specific level.

What do you think guys?

Tried the multiplayer for a few hours last night. Gotta say, the matchmaking system is a piece of shit. I regularly get paired up against teams of two or three Rank 20 players at a time.

Game's normally not bad, but the fun just EVAPORATES when every other player has super high-level skills and weapons and I'm stuck with the basic revolver.

Thanks, Naughty Dog.

Well that's what I mean, I already started the new game plus, everything carried over perfectly, I stopped playing, went onto PSN and bought the Season Pass. Do I still need to disable anything or since the NewGame+ file is already created should I be okay? And if so, where do you disable the perks?

I'm no expert, but if everything already carried over fine I would assume you are okay to continue.

Well I just had a specific example last night: (Hotel section spoiler)
When you first get outside in the big fight where Joel gives Ellie the rifle, I stealth killed everybody, and then three more guys spawn and just walk into the area from one of the rooms you've already cleared.

You don't actually see them spawn, but they just kind of appear when you take out the last guy. This was on Hard so I have no idea if that makes a difference.

Yeah, same thing happened in my game, and I think it happened in the bookstore too somehow. Cleared both floors, and then when I was going out the exit on the second floor some guy appeared out of nowhere and then somehow there were a bunch of guys all over the second floor that weren't there before

the option shows up at the bottom of the list under game options (the one with listen mode, tag popups etc.) so I assume it also shows up when you start a new game

BigTnaples

I don't know if you guys noticed but I have now arrived at the
sewers
and I noticed a measuring ruler for the
sewage water
and I noticed Joel is only 5"1 when you line up with it (and yes, I did measure from the bottom up). Either ND got their dimensions wrong or everybody somehow dropped their size since the outbreak. I wish I had a screenshot but you would know the moment you enter that specific level.

What do you think guys?

Just got the measurement wrong. I was crouching next to a light socket and it was larger next to my head than it ought to have been.

Naughty Dog is freaking amazing, but they aren't perfect.

Still. One of if not my favorite game of all time. Still trying to process it all.

Yeah, same thing happened in my game, and I think it happened in the bookstore too somehow. Cleared both floors, and then when I was going out the exit on the second floor some guy appeared out of nowhere and then somehow there were a bunch of guys all over the second floor that weren't there before

Basically there are less enemies in the area if you are never spotted, in some areas being spotted will pretty much double the amount of enemies around. If the last guy sees you before you kill him (i.e. you break stealth) then I would expect reinforcements to appear out of nowhere.

It's kind of a stupid thing this game does. One thing I've noticed is Joel will do a "high profile" assassination on the last guy in an area since there's nobody else around and the noise it makes shouldn't matter... however sometimes when Joel does this I have suddenly entered combat immediately after this happens and it's not my fault at all

No you can't.

Um, you can. How do you explain this working for me and so many other people if you in fact cannot do it?
I'm 53% through my SECOND play through of the game on Survivor difficulty and my save file is labeled as New Game Plus and all my stuff carried over from my first play through.

Others:
-ND feels the need to include another flight of stairs in every building only to barricade it with furniture
-There are about 3 human enemy character models throughout the game
-There are about 4 runner character models
-Can't move bodies
My guesses...

1. Judging by how the whole game is built, I suppose they wanted to make level design as 'realistic' as possible (you would expect a building with several stories to have elevators and/or flights of stairs), but they can't just make whole buildings open and accesible because TLOU is a linear game with a set path and they don't want players to get lost and, well... bigger levels, bigger expense of RAM. Same with doors that can't be opened.
2. RAM. There's a lot of models, textures, AI behavior and patterns, sounds and animations that have to be loaded in every area, so they have to conserve and optimize wherever they can.
3. RAM, again.
4. Gameplay design decision, maybe they figured letting us hide bodies made the game much easier?

ultron87

It's kind of a stupid thing this game does. One thing I've noticed is Joel will do a "high profile" assassination on the last guy in an area since there's nobody else around and the noise it makes shouldn't matter... however sometimes when Joel does this I have suddenly entered combat immediately after this happens and it's not my fault at all

Yeah, this is exactly what happened for me. Since he somehow knows that the guy he grabbed is the last guy he just decides to stomp his face in. But apparently that triggers the "whoops you caused noise" magic emergency guards.

Basically there are less enemies in the area if you are never spotted, in some areas being spotted will pretty much double the amount of enemies around. If the last guy sees you before you kill him (i.e. you break stealth) then I would expect reinforcements to appear out of nowhere.

What was weird about it was that the last guy really did appear out of nowhere, seemingly. I cleared the entire floor and walked all around it multiple times making sure I didn't miss anything, including walking all the way through the exit hallway where the elevators were at least twice. Then when I was finally about to leave, some guy spawns in that exit hallway and hits me with a pipe as soon as I walk around the corner. then there are guys all around the top floor, I died, and upon respawning I just walked out the exit and there was no one there at all.

Top Bottom