• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Toki767

I don't see who they could get to even act as Joel and Ellie that would make people as emotionally invested as Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson did with voice acting. Ellen Page is kind of old now.

DatDude

Banned
I don't see who they could get to even act as Joel and Ellie that would make people as emotionally invested as Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson did with voice acting. Ellen Page is kind of old now.

good actors will always find a way to get you emotionally invested.

Troy Baker, and Ashley Johnson, in the bigger "acting" pyramid, are at the bottom of the barrel tbh.

Toki767

good actors will always find a way to get you emotionally invested.

Troy Baker, and Ashley Johnson, in the bigger "acting" pyramid, are at the bottom of the barrel tbh.

Oh I'm not saying they're the cream of the crop or anything like that. I do like Troy Baker's work most of the time and I was really surprised when I learned it was Ashley Johnson who voiced Ellie.

I just think as a TV series with lesser known actors, it has potential to be special. As a 2-3 hour movie with more well known actors, it probably won't be as well received.

DatDude

Banned
Oh I'm not saying they're the cream of the crop or anything like that. I do like Troy Baker's work most of the time and I was really surprised when I learned it was Ashley Johnson who voiced Ellie.

I just think as a TV series with lesser known actors, it has potential to be special. As a 2-3 hour movie with more well known actors, it probably won't be as well received.

oh it defintely could be. but it really depends on what network picks it up.

AMC...and HBO are the only 2 big networks I trust that wouldn't exploit the show, or cancel it after a few bad airings.

Business

Alright, before I have a panic attack, I need someone to spoil something for me.

Do you ever run into like some sort of underwater infected? Like when you have to swim underwater and shit?

Yes I had the same fear after reading some of the random notes you find around that said something along the lines of dead things in the water... but no you don't find any, although at some point rats made me think "this is it".

Toki767

Yes I had the same fear after reading some of the random notes you find around that said something along the lines of dead things in the water... but no you don't find any, although at some point rats made me think "this is it".

That one point where a group of rats run out. And the monkeys in the lab...I thought those might have been missed opportunities to give more short, but unique encounters.

anyone heard of reports of this game breaking systems (possibly from continuosly writing to the hard disk)

My system broke and another person i knows system broke and now im hearing on twitter of others copping this

Toki767

animals cant get infected though.

I could've sworn there was an audio log in the university that talked about a monkey biting someone and causing something to happen. I'm sure it wasn't the same infection but it could've just been something to add.

JB1981

Oh man this game. I just love how every encounter counts ! And the quality of the acting, writing, dialog is just on a completely new level. These guys have really outdone themselves. Remarkable game !

Nah the game works perfectly for a film imo.

It basically is a film, just in an interactive form.

Also, not everyone plays video games, doesn't mean they should be left out from the experience.

Just how not everyone reads books, they still make movies from those stories in books.

Keep the same story of ellie and joel and make it into film. It will have a blockbuster weekend opening, watch.

Snippet from First Review:

Film Critic #452 said:
In short, The Last of Us is a poor imitation of a poor man's The Road. Mark Wahlberg sleepwalks through the entire movie in the starring role as Joel, a tough guy who's "seen things" and "had to do bad stuff".....Call me if you've heard that before. His co-star Kristen Stewart, as 16 year old troubled teen Ellie, is terribly miscast, and delivers an equally one note role replacing apathy where there should be energy. Director Paul W.S. Anderson, no doubt chosen after numerous successes in adapting similar zombie shoot-em-up videogames to the big screen with the Resident Evil film series (starring wife Milla Jovovich, also in The Last of Us as machine gun toting "Tess") brings to us yet another popcorn blockbuster filled with one liners, sexy babes, CG monstrosities and not an ounce of depth or nuance. I'm sure a lot of that comes from the source material, but Anderson handles it all with a certain familiarity only he can.

For anyone wanting to brave Paul W.S. Anderson's The Last of Us, you'd be better served calling up your friend who lives in his mother's basement, and playing another round of the game. At least you'll be able to watch zombies explode without Marky Mark. --------------- 1 ½ out of 4

JB1981

Did anybody find the
big Infected dude that tosses the explosive sacks at you
kind of out of place in this game? It broke the immersion for me a little. The encounter itself was very tense but it reminded me that I was playing a videogame. I felt out of place in this world.

Toki767

Did anybody find the
big Infected dude that tosses the explosive sacks at you
kind of out of place in this game? It broke the immersion for me a little. The encounter itself was very tense but it reminded me that I was playing a videogame. I felt out of place in this world.

Yeah...I feel like they tried to add a boss fight and it felt like it ruined a bit of the immersion. Luckily you only have to really deal with them twice.

Alienous

What was
everyone's playtime? I got 10:34:05, and people seem to insist that the average playtime is much longer. I don't feel like I rushed it, and I certainly explored (finding combinations to safe's, letters from the past, pendants). Did anybody manage shorter on their first playthrough? Or just a bit longer? (This was on Normal, by the way)

So I just discovered clickers can
climb
. The hard way.

I'm replaying the game now, at the 34% mark when
you're making your way towards the school with Bill. When Ellie goes through a doggy door to help you unlock the door from the other side, clickers spawn in the house right in front of you. Right before that there's a small shed and you can get on an electricity box and climb on the roof and get a view of the clicker house, so I figure, let's have some shooting practice instead of sneaking through.

I go back, climb to the roof of the shed, take out the hunting rifle and fire at one. They all go aggro and start twitching their way through the door we just opened. I'm like "whatever you can't reach me while I'm up here" and just keep aiming, when I see one coming closer to the shed, it starts climbing the box and climbing on the roof. I panic. I jump off the roof, hurt myself and run straight into the second clicker, get chomped. WHAT.

I never knew those things could climb obstacles! :(((((
It's great when the game surprises you like that, even if it means you end up dying like an idiot, hahah.

What was
everyone's playtime? I got 10:34:05, and people seem to insist that the average playtime is much longer. I don't feel like I rushed it, and I certainly explored (finding combinations to safe's, letters from the past, pendants). Did anybody manage shorter on their first playthrough? Or just a bit longer? (This was on Normal, by the way)
I played on Normal and got 14 and a half hours. Explored quite a bit but not actively looking for collectibles or anything.

Fjordson

I just got to that part. I almost shit my pants!! And the wife was watching me play and she screamed when it happened and I almost had a heart attack. I'm soo bad with horror games :lol

Later in the basement where you hit the generator and all the bloaters and stalkers are running around all of a sudden, oh mah gawd. My wife screamed again when that happened and then it was just a blind dash to try and find that door while both of us are yelling "ohh shiiitt! Oh my god!!!". Lmao, that was the scariest segment yet by far for me.

cebri.one

Playing it on hard. 6:20 hours and 46% completed.

Getting out of the Hotel right now, didn't like how the game pushed me to finish a guy just like in the E3 demo.

DatDude

Banned
I just got to that part. I almost shit my pants!! And the wife was watching me play and she screamed when it happened and I almost had a heart attack. I'm soo bad with horror games :lol

Later in the basement where you hit the generator and all the bloaters and stalkers are running around all of a sudden, oh mah gawd. My wife screamed again when that happened and then it was just a blind dash to try and find that door while both of us are yelling "ohh shiiitt! Oh my god!!!". Lmao, that was the scariest segment yet by far for me.

i'm pretty sure everyone just ran at that point lol

Alienous

i'm pretty sure everyone just ran at that point lol

I
killed the bastards. There was a propane canister, and I used that to kill the Bloater. Ran around, used Molotov's. Planted a nail bomb, and that took out a few. Couple of well placed shots later, and everything was dead. I was really confused, I thought this was a Resident Evil style 'the Bloater has the key' scenario. When I killed him, I had to go looking for the keycard, and I couldn't see shit in that room.

I
killed the bastards. There was a propane canister, and I used that to kill the Bloater. Ran around, used Molotov's. Planted a nail bomb, and that took out a few. Couple of well placed shots later, and everything was dead. I was really confused, I thought this was a Resident Evil style 'the Bloater has the key' scenario. When I killed him, I had to go looking for the keycard, and I couldn't see shit in that room.
Wow.

Do you usually go guns blazin' and kill everything on sight instead of choosing to sneak through? That would explain your shorter playtime I think. :p

Business

Yes that
basement
is one of the parts that upon completing the game you look back to and think That was hell... I'm not sure I want to play it again.

I'd imagine that running would be even quicker, no?
Well running, sure... I meant walking slowly while crouching and avoiding enemy patrols, that can take time on the first playthrough since you don't really know the layout of the levels nor what's coming next. I took my time being extra careful when sneaking :) I imagine going guns blazin' has got to save a lot of time.

doemaaan

What was

Wow... I just can't believe how different some of our playtimes are. I clocked in at
19 hours and that was with scavenging every piece of land I thought possible. I also stood stationary as active dialogue scenes were taking place, so the game wouldn't accidentally skip them, say if I crossed a certain section in the map. Also took time to enjoy some of those views. Like when Ellie was in the Town level and you could walk up to the lake and check out the mountain range. I probably stayed there for 5 minutes walking up and down the shore.

You only get one "first time experience" when playing a game. I try and make the absolute most of it.

Fjordson

I
LOL.
'the Bloater has the key' is making me laugh for some reason.

You're right, though. That was some straight up RE shit or Silent Hill or something. At least to me as someone who barely plays horror games. Thank god I got the keycard before I went down and hit the generator to wake up the entire basement.

I blasted one stalker that got in my way but other than that I was fucking booking it outta there.

Also, I just upgraded my two gun holsters. What a glorious feeling.

Alienous

Well running, sure... I meant walking slowly while crouching and avoiding enemy patrols, that can take time on the first playthrough since you don't really know the layout of the levels nor what's coming next.

I played
with Listen Mode off, so I spent a lot of time watching enemy patrols (as I couldn't see them through walls). The 'brick to the face, running pipe to the face' combo was really useful throughout, as well as prioritising headshots when I needed to fight. But no, I did stealth entire encounters. In fact, the majority of the encounters I would be 80% into stealth-ing, get caught, and have to fight anyway. Playing on normal, the combat was hardly ever difficult. I'd usually have a reserve of 8 bullets in both my revolver and my pistol, and 2 molotovs.

I tend to complete games quicker than the norm, but I really tried in The Last of Us to slow down, explore, scavenge ammo, shiv doors and interact with ally's whenever the opportunity arrived. I never once saw a building I could enter and walked past.

I played
with Listen Mode off, so I spent a lot of time watching enemy patrols (as I couldn't see them through walls). The 'brick to the face, running pipe to the face' combo was really useful throughout, as well as prioritising headshots when I needed to fight. But no, I did stealth entire encounters. In fact, the majority of the encounters I would be 80% into stealth-ing, get caught, and have to fight anyway. Playing on normal, the combat was hardly ever difficult. I'd usually have a reserve of 8 bullets in both my revolver and my pistol, and 2 molotovs.

I tend to complete games quicker than the norm, but I really tried in The Last of Us to slow down, explore, scavenge ammo, shiv doors and interact with ally's whenever the opportunity arrived. I never once saw a building I could enter and walked past.
Interesting, that's mostly how I played too. I wonder where those extra 2 to 6 hours went for most people...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
The intro. As soon as you hit "20 years later" and regain control of Joel you can quit to main menu.

Thanks so much. This worked.

I was so dissapointed when I thought I wouldn't be able to do this. Now to be sure I don't miss any collectables. This will (hopefully) be my first platinum trophy.

If I do miss a collectable, is there a way to get it without starting a third newgame plus?

Josh Brolin as Joel
Chloe Moretz as Ellie
Frank Darabont directs

I'd see that Last of Us movie
Anyone?

Looks like a bomb filled with B list art house types. Josh Brolin? What did he ever do? And Frank Darabont? Dude wasn't even good enough to run a basic cable series.

New prediction:

Starring: Eddie Murphy as Joel

AND

...............Eddie Murphy as Ellie

THE LAST OF KLUMPS

directed by M Night Shyamalan

Movie roles for this are easy.

Joel: Gerard Butler
Tess: Carrie-Anne Moss
Ellie: Ellen Paige or Maisie Williams

Everyone else could be somewhat easily cast.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Ellen Page would almost be 30 until shooting that movie was finished. Beverly Hills all over again.

So by watching the grounded documentary, I finally found out how to trigger hostile npc's to drop to their knees and beg for their lives, similar to how that e3 demo ended.

Throw a brick/bottle at them, melee them with your fist while stunned, and then when you draw your weapon it immediately locks on their head.

I'll be doing this a lot.

I've now beaten this game 3 times. Once on Hard, once on Survivor and once on Survivor+. Not once ever using listen mode. This game is now a standard in my book on how narrative/gameplay should be made. From it's fantastic start, to it's enthralling ass ending, this is one for the books.

Hot damn, that sounds like a fluff piece for this game. I don't care. This is my MGS from the original playstation, for the PS3. This is sightly in front of RDR for my game of the generation. I can't wait for more. I needs me more.

Thanks so much. This worked.

I was so dissapointed when I thought I wouldn't be able to do this. Now to be sure I don't miss any collectables. This will (hopefully) be my first platinum trophy.

If I do miss a collectable, is there a way to get it without starting a third newgame plus?

Well, you can always go back to the part of the game where you missed the collectable via chapter select and grab it that way.
I don't think you need all of the collectibles in a single play through for the trophy because the game keeps track of which ones you've found in the collectibles menu in the main menu.
I can't say that for certain though as I don't have all the collectibles yet (I have 120/141), but I know I missed a shiv door and a joke location so I will be using chapter select for those so hopefully that works.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Can I play on Survivor+ right away after finishing regular Hard? And will finishing Survivor+ unlock the regular Survivor trophy?

Volcynika

I created a death window for the AI. Person jumped in, I strangled them. Next person went looking for them, got him the same way. Continue for about 3 or 4 more people. I was amused.

I created a death window for the AI. Person jumped in, I strangled them. Next person went looking for them, got him the same way. Continue for about 3 or 4 more people. I was amused.

Stealth Gameplay™

Solid Snake and his locker/bathroom stall full of ragdoll soldiers would be proud.

AEREC

Finally finished this last night, I got to say it took a while to get going but the ending as well as the last half of the game was fantastic. Also probably one of the most well acted games this generation from the characters animation to the voice acting and dialogue.

Also fuck the initial load when starting the game...sometimes it felt like 5 minutes and others were like 30 seconds.

Gonna dive into MP now...it looks interesting.

I'm about 45 minutes into winter. Wow.

That being said, this game's weakness in my eyes is its lust for throwing 50 enemies at you.
my horse just got shot and I'm.playing ellie vs 50 guys scattered everywhere. I feel like the ai/game design doesn't allow for true stealth gameplay. I can't move bodies, so anyone I shoot with a bow is discovered in 5 seconds by allies. I guess I need to slowly take them all out. Joy.

Top Bottom