• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

potam

Banned
No tag necessary for future reference. Your % is high though.

Thanks. I originally was going to estimate ~50%, but the first part of the game took me a bit longer than the second half since I played the first half in chunks.

One question I have been asking myself about this game recently:

Is it illogical to call this game the best game I've ever played, even if it isn't necessarily my favorite? When I say it is the best, I am thinking in terms of story and presentation, and how it advances the medium more towards what mainstream culture would regard as art. I don't consider it my favorite game, because I really have no desire to go back and play through it, and the gameplay just isn't my style.

So am I wrong in saying it is the best game I've ever played? Am I just riding the hype wave?

Cloudy

Banned
Get ready for the roller coaster.

I took a break just to take in everything before "Go Big Horns". I might not play again till tomorrow. I've put in like 7 hours today. GOTY and then some.

PS: I'm playing Uncharted 2 after this. Hope this game doesn't ruin it lol

Cloudy

Banned
I wish this game would let you do an install just so i don't have to see that long load screen all the time.

Here's a tip. If you hang out in the menus for a bit looking at bonuses/unlockables before you play, the load time is very short. Beats watching a dark screen with spores, right?

Gorillaz

I took a break just to take in everything before "Go Big Horns". I might not play again till tomorrow. I've put in like 7 hours today. GOTY and then some.

PS: I'm playing Uncharted 2 after this. Hope this game doesn't ruin it lol
Uncharted 2 is a different beast entirely aka indiana jones. If you look at it from a blockbuster globetrotting adventure viewpoint its pretty good

Cloudy

Banned
Uncharted 2 is a different beast entirely aka indiana jones. If you look at it from a blockbuster globetrotting adventure viewpoint its pretty good

Oh I've played the first one (liked it quite a bit) so I know what to expect. Just hope LoU doesn't "taint" it for me

StuBurns

Banned
I played UC2 the other day to see what I thought, it's still great, the controls are much crisper, the IQ is better, it's smoother, has it's own really nice saturated look. The cutscenes are pretty rough, but it's still an excellent game.

Sorian

Banned
Thanks. I originally was going to estimate ~50%, but the first part of the game took me a bit longer than the second half since I played the first half in chunks.

One question I have been asking myself about this game recently:

Is it illogical to call this game the best game I've ever played, even if it isn't necessarily my favorite? When I say it is the best, I am thinking in terms of story and presentation, and how it advances the medium more towards what mainstream culture would regard as art. I don't consider it my favorite game, because I really have no desire to go back and play through it, and the gameplay just isn't my style.

So am I wrong in saying it is the best game I've ever played? Am I just riding the hype wave?

You are riding hype a bite, a lot of what is being said about this game was said about Infinite as well a couple months ago. Give it another week or two and the massive negative train will come into town and another week or two after that we will all have our real opinions on the game.

That being said, it can be the best game you've ever played without being your favorite game. I was trying to think of a movie analogy here but I'm drawing a blank for specifics. I know there are plenty of people that will consider a popcorn superhero flick as their favorite movie while still acknowledging that something like the Godfather is far superior and better.

potam

Banned
You are riding hype a bite, a lot of what is being said about this game was said about Infinite as well a couple months ago. Give it another week or two and the massive negative train will come into town and another week or two after that we will all have our real opinions on the game.

That being said, it can be the best game you've ever played without being your favorite game. I was trying to think of a movie analogy here but I'm drawing a blank for specifics. I know there are plenty of people that will consider a popcorn superhero flick as their favorite movie while still acknowledging that something like the Godfather is far superior and better.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I do try to keep myself level-headed when it comes to hype surrounding games, but I'll admit that I get caught up sometimes.

Honestly, barring the intro sequence, I was underwhelmed with the game until
the university level. When Joel is injured, and there's that role reversal where Ellie is having to take care of you, and lead you to safety...I thought that scene was awesome. It was perfect to me, how they showed (not told) that Ellie was no longer this weaker sidekick or an annoying mission objective, but rather a partner in their journey together.

That, to me, is when I was sold on the game.

imBask

Banned
just finished it and I know i'm gonna get lynched for my opinions for this but here I go

I liked the gameplay, most of the story and the music

I hated the AI, the glitches and bugs everywhere (clipping, textures), the repetitive aspect somewhere around the middle of the game
before you play as Ellie for the first time
(get in the zone, kill people, repeat)... and on top of that, the ending was my biggest deception

I enjoyed playing that game, but I just don't see how so many reviewers gave it a 10/10.

Sorian

Banned
That's pretty much what I was getting at. I do try to keep myself level-headed when it comes to hype surrounding games, but I'll admit that I get caught up sometimes.

Honestly, barring the intro sequence, I was underwhelmed with the game until
the university level. When Joel is injured, and there's that role reversal where Ellie is having to take care of you, and lead you to safety...I thought that scene was awesome. It was perfect to me, how they showed (not told) that Ellie was no longer this weaker sidekick or an annoying mission objective, but rather a partner in their journey together.

That, to me, is when I was sold on the game.

The world was fun and interesting to learn about before that scene. I became emotionally invested during and after that scene till the end of the game.

potam

Banned
The world was fun and interesting to learn about before that scene. I became emotionally invested during and after that scene till the end of the game.

Oh, I agree that the game was good before that scene. It just wasn't "99/10 best game ever past/present/future" to me until then.

Ourobolus

Banned
I just went through that on hard difficulty, and you're right, they're way too sensitive, unfairly so. If you creep even for a moment without the thumbstick down, you're toast, other times they notice anyway. There's also the holdover from Uncharted where an enemy will see you if you're aiming at them, it's a bit ridiculous. I just used the bow to get through it without raising alarms.
Yeah, I played originally on hard, but I just unloaded on them with the shotgun. This time I kinda need to conserve ammo a bit. Is their listening radius/behavior much more lax on Easy? I may just try to get the tag on that level and just bow/sneak my way through this one.

So I just started playing this and the textures seem insanely low resolution, for example right at the beginning the card and cell phone are just a pixellated blurry mess. That can't be normal, right?

So I just started playing this and the textures seem insanely low resolution, for example right at the beginning the card and cell phone are just a pixellated blurry mess. That can't be normal, right?

Definitely not right. The texture work on things you can pick up and read are usually high resolution. (More so than in any other game I have played on console).

I would suggest quitting to the XMB and restarting the software.

derFeef

Nah not right, there is lowres textures but stuff like that is good quality usually.
edit: beaten twice :p

How the fuck do I get past this part
the underground tunnel right before the hospital, with those two fucking Bloaters in the end
Two of those knife bombs is all you need. A molotov will help even the odds further.

Get on top of one of the vehicles for a better view. Throw a brick in the middle and attract everyone's attention. Throw the first bomb. Boom. If there are stragglers nearby, throw another bomb. The two bombs' radius should take out everyone, but if bloaters still remain, a molotov cocktail will finish them off.

J-Rod

I finished last night, and thought it was an awesome game. It blows my mind thinking how much work must have been put into every room making every inch look hand-crafted and every environment piece deliberately placed just for players to spend 20 seconds in it gathering items.

rvy

Banned
The dynamic cover her works much better than Tomb Raider. At least you can crouch on your own and not just when the game tells you that you can.

Wait, you can't crouch when you want to in Tomb Raider? There goes any interest I may have in getting it in the bargain bin, I'm done with retarded game mechanics similar do AC III.

derFeef

Wait, you can't crouch when you want to in Tomb Raider? There goes any interest I may have in getting it in the bargain bin, I'm done with retarded game mechanics similar do AC III.

You can, well, if you want to crouch, just walk up to a chest-high wall ;)
It's not really distracting imho, but to each it's own.

Dthomp

just finished it and I know i'm gonna get lynched for my opinions for this but here I go

I liked the gameplay, most of the story and the music

I hated the AI, the glitches and bugs everywhere (clipping, textures), the repetitive aspect somewhere around the middle of the game
before you play as Ellie for the first time
(get in the zone, kill people, repeat)... and on top of that, the ending was my biggest deception

I enjoyed playing that game, but I just don't see how so many reviewers gave it a 10/10.

I feel the same way. I just finished this last night and while I enjoyed the game it is nowhere near a 10/10 to me. The best part about this game was the character interaction and development. I hated almost all of the combat in the game, not to mention the bugs. Too many times turned into firefights and just book it to the safe zone. I would gladly give this an 8.5/10 but I can't see anything groundbreaking amazing outside of the characters in the game.

RyType

Finished it an hour ago and still Kinda sad it's all over really. Will start a second play through maybe next week sometime.

khaaan

I don`t think the load times have been that bad for the physical version after the first two times I fired up the game.

Two thirds in the game, just began the "Fall" section. I'm currently playing the game on normal and was originally going to do the Survivor+ run but man, I've already had a lot of trouble with certain section of the games that I get stressed out just thinking about the encounters on a higher difficulty. I've also missed out on a tonne of the collectables so I'll probably have to do a run on easy.

I really didn't like the first few hours, I was disappointed in the framerate, the IQ and the scripted nature of everything.

Now the game is simply amazing. Well played ND, well played.

Yeah so I bought this one pretty much on media blackout. I didn't really like the gameplay, I'm more a pc gamer, so I never really played uncharted or what have you on my ps3. I got up to the part where you get Ellie, and honestly didn't care for it. Good production values, and nothing felt "wrong" the game just didn't grab me I guess.

So I spoiled the ending for myself on youtube lol. It probably also doesn't help that I hate hate hate gears of war (never played past an hour into the first 1 on my 360) so maybe it was the cover shooter mechanics that turned me off (yes I know you should sneak more, but I mean just in general...). Although I loved deus ex HR. ....meh oh well. Pretty game tho.

Arnie

Just finished it, absolutely sublime.

I'm very glad they didn't have a totally happy ending. Joel's not a straight up good guy, he's seen and done too much shit. He needed to save Ellie, he couldn't let her die like Sarah. You just know that she's going to find out in a sequel, and there'll be a conflict where she comes to terms with what he did. That scene with Marleen was fucking excellent, the jumping back and forth between the car, and the car park.

My favourite singleplayer game of the generation.

Just finished the game. I really liked the ending - by which I mean everything after the gameplay ends, thought it was the strongest part of the entire game.
The last gameplay section was garbage imo - Overloaded with weapons and not any big boss moment, just another fight. Up to that point I'd enjoyed the second half of the game WAY more than the first half.

Overall:

+ The environments were top notch, stunning in places (Spring especially, but the whole thing looked amazing, I loved the greenery)
+ The characters, acting and character animation. The voice acting itself was brilliant and convincing. The character animations matched the acting in the best way I've seen so far in a game. There's still such a long way to go for character models moving realistically - but this is the first time I've been convinced by facial movements like the biting of a lip, slight snarls, sarcasm or characters saying one thing but their face conveying another. I was impressed. I liked the characters themselves and thought everyone involved did a great job in fleshing them out. Joel is also a heartthrob. <3

- I don't really enjoy long cutscenes and games as interactive movies, so I struggled with some of the longer ones, I enjoyed the story - but I want to play games, not watch them. Having said that, the story really kept me playing because I thought the gameplay was very average and brought nothing new to the table.
- QTEs and puzzles. I loathed them. QTEs are a pox on gaming and I'm unsure as to their purpose - it's barely interactive, so may as well be a cutscene and there were never any times where a different button offered a different choice, so again they're not interactive. Puzzles were barely that - move something from one side of a room to another - they just served to slow down the game. Not that I wanted non-stop action, I enjoyed soaking in the environments in between the setpiece action but I was annoyed by the puzzles and QTEs - mashing buttons during a cutscene is not fun.

In general. I am over this type of game and experience. I've just outgrown it I think and I want something more from my gaming time these days. I found it difficult to get into the game for the first half and had to readjust my expectations after the batshit insane praise this game as received. It's an amazing looking Resident Evil type game - that's it. All those 10/10s were silly, it's a solid game but not a game changer.

Haven't touched the multiplayer except peaking into it first thing just to see - team multiplayer isn't my thing, so no opinion on that.

I hope there is not a sequel. I enjoyed the game and story as is and feel no need to find out what happens next. Let a good story/game breathe and stand on it's own.

edit - fuck, top of the page! >:-|

This game, THIS FUCKING GAME. Incredible.

I'm just at the part where
Ellie first uses the rifle to cover Joel
. Am I about halfway through GAF?

IJoel

Just finished it, and I loved it. I must say that 40% or so into the game I wondered what the fuss was all about. As much as I hate saying this, you need to play a good 10 or so hours before the game grips you and doesn't let go. There many fantastic moments,
the sniper, the whole winter sequence, the very last ending sequence
. There are a few things that could be improved though. The story was very straight forward and rather
predictable
. The controls could be improved; there were more than a few instances where the grab didn't quite work as it had previously. That said, the stealth gameplay was great. I'd love for ND to have a take at the Thief franchise.

Top Bottom