• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Cloudy

Banned
LMAO I just realized there is auto-lock shooting in this game. After 14+ hrs, I won't turn it on though. Game isn't really difficult on Normal :p

Is it possible to get into a situation that is essentially impossible to progress from? Like, having no ammo, no health packs, no health, no melee weapons and no resources? Does the game recognise it, and restart you with a bit extra after you die? What resources do you get gven when you select a chapter from the menu?

JB1981

Just finished. Whew! What an experience ! I was on the edge of my seat. I am not sure i connected this emotionally to a game... Ever. I feel like I was put through the ringer

This game proves to me that story matters in games, at least for me. The two games this generation that resonated with me most were story-driven games- RDR and now this. I feel like the medium just matured a great deal after this one. Remarkable achievement

Cloudy

Banned
I don't really enjoy long cutscenes and games as interactive movies, so I struggled with some of the longer ones, I enjoyed the story - but I want to play games, not watch them

The longest cutscene I've seen so far is 7 minutes after over an hour of gameplay (most of them are 1-2 minutes).

If you enjoy the story and the scenes are well done, what exactly is the problem? I feel cutscenes add a lot of depth to the characters and I hope this game sells a ton so other non-RPGs start copying the amount of effort put into the plot and characters :D

Krisprolls

Banned
I think the people who focus mostly on gameplay won't give a 10 to the game, but more something like 9. I agree the first part of the game (after the great introduction) is not as strong as the rest too.

But if you take everything into account (story / gameplay / emotions / graphics / sound...) then it's more like 10/10. There are nearly zero game that do nearly everything right like this one.

People who played it more like a classic game won't say it's a 10. If you weren't as invested in the story (which is perfectly fine), the gameplay itself is great but not a revolution.

Anyway, it's now among my all time favorites in 30 years of gaming, and I'm not even a big Uncharted fan. Plus, I usually hate zombies and zombie games. They're not my kind of games.

This game shows that games can be an art. It's a big step in the way you should tell a story in games and how to make people involved.

Arnie

Is it possible to get into a situation that is essentially impossible to progress from? Like, having no ammo, no health packs, no health, no melee weapons and no resources? Does the game recognise it, and restart you with a bit extra after you die? What resources do you get gven when you select a chapter from the menu?

I think the game just knows.

Like, when I ever got really low on supplies it would just give me an abnormally generous amount next time I killed someone.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just finished. Whew! What an experience ! I was on the edge of my seat. I am not sure i connected this emotionally to a game... Ever. I feel like I was put through the ringer

This game proves to me that story matters in games, at least for me. The two games this generation that resonated with me most were story-driven games- RDR and now this. I feel like the medium just matured a great deal after this one. Remarkable achievement

Interesting it still resonated so strongly with you despite the technical issues you were having with the game. Seemed like you just couldn't catch a break in that regard.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

If you die multiple times then the game gives you extra ammo and health.

If you enjoy the story and the scenes are well done, what exactly is the problem?
I don't have a problem - Yes, I liked and disliked some of the same things for different reasons. I'll say it like this: I enjoyed the characters and the story (as predictable as it was)
Ellie being immune, I groaned. They met up with a black dude and his kid brother, knew immediately they were gonna end up dead or turning, etc.
, but would rather spend my time playing a game than watching it. So as I said, I am over this type of game. That doesn't make it a bad game, I'm just not interested in narrative storytelling in action games.

7 minutes is far too long for me. 2 minutes is far too long for me, I hate cutscenes. The fact that I enjoyed the characters are a testament to the work of everyone involved, they made me interested and care about something I usually skip or mash to get through ASAP.

JB1981

Interesting it still resonated so strongly with you despite the technical issues you were having with the game. Seemed like you just couldn't catch a break in that regard.

They only popped up today for whatever reason. I didn't have any issues with it the first couple of days playing.

Sorian

Banned
I don't have a problem - Yes, I liked and disliked some of the same things for different reasons. I'll say it like this: I enjoyed the characters and the story (as predictable as it was)
Ellie being immune, I groaned. They met up with a black dude and his kid brother, knew immediately they were gonna end up dead or turning, etc.
, but would rather spend my time playing a game than watching it. So as I said, I am over this type of game. That doesn't make it a bad game, I'm just not interested in narrative storytelling in action games.

7 minutes is far too long for me. 2 minutes is far too long for me, I hate cutscenes. The fact that I enjoyed the characters are a testament to the work of everyone involved, they made me interested and care about something I usually skip or mash to get through ASAP.

You're the reason it is hard to get video games with good stories.

I'm in spring and I realize that I am nearing the end of this epic journey, and let me tell you it has been an incredible ride. I didn't think the game would live up to the lofty and overwhelmingly positive expectations placed on it, but it has done so with grace. This is easily my favorite game of the generation and a strong contender for my favorite game ever.

The most powerful part of the game, so far...

When Joel and Ellie
embraced
and Joel called her
"baby girl"
Holy shit. I almost cried. I have never cried for a movie, and much less a game, but wow. That part nearly set off the waterworks. Did anyone else catch that and feel the same thing? Insanely powerful.

I am not sure that the ending will top that, but reading the impressions here it seems that it definitely should... I can't wait.

Arnie

That isn't true at all.

You can tell good stories without using cutscenes. In fact I think cutscenes are a lazy bleed through from other mediums that will eventually die out as gaming matures. Saying that, The Last of Us was my favourite game of this generation and I never once got tired of the cutscenes.

I wish the notes and audio diaries were handled in a better way, though. Perhaps with Joel reading them out loud.

Man, Fall is so good. I'm going through it now on my second play-through, currently partway through the
university
and I think I like it better than the much revered Winter. The
university
is probably my favorite locale in the entire game.

I'll have to reserve final judgment until I'm at the endgame once again, though.

ZeroRay

Is it just me, or is the ammo balance really good on hard? From what I've heard for some peeps, it seems that they even give you too much ammo even on survivor.

I'm just at the
sewer part with all the stalkers
and I have five or less shots for each weapon, with me not finding any arrows since I got to Pittsburgh. Been pretty careful with my shots too. Really wish I had some arrows for this scenario.

Cheska

Soooo I finally beat the game. I honestly tried to savor every moment and really took as much time as I felt necessary to inspect all rooms and find collectibles. The game doesn't quite surpass Uncharted 2 to me in terms of an overall game but I would still rate it one of the best games I've played this generation.

The game is visually stunning and there was one particular scene in the last 1/4 of the game that literally left me with my jaw dropped at how serene and beautiful it was. The voice actors did a fantastic job portraying these characters and I'd say Naughty Dog succeeded in making us fully invested in their story.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of survival horror so encounters with the infected, while intense, weren't really my forte. I did however love the stealth in this game and I attempted to go with that strategy whenever possible. I plan on eventually going back and playing on the hardest difficulties but I think I need a break to recover from the emotional turmoil this game caused heh.

The ending was perfect but I hope they leave it at that, and even though I loved the game I hope we don't see a sequel. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy TLoU 2 but some games are better as self contained IPs.

Plasmid

I totally thought this entire time that Ellen Paige was actually Ellie, i think i got the idea confused with beyond two souls.

I'm so confused.

Amir0x

Banned
I thought you guys would find this to be an interesting side diversion. It's a brief pictorial guide of some core Massachusetts State House interior/exterior, and you can get a sense of the things that were changed and the things that are the same. What fascinates me is how faithful they could be to the actual design of places, while still changing up things like positioning, number of rooms, etc. I wonder if they can explain some of the reasons they changed some things, just for curiosity sake.

I'll give you an example:

massstatehousespanishdfu7v.jpg

In TLoU, this mural is actually in the room immediately after the one you visit in the giant Rotunda, with the staircases. But in actuality, this mural is in an entirely different part of the building in real life. In fact, most of the murals in this other room are not accurate in this location, but were taken from other places, probably because it was more visually interesting than the more whitewashed look of the actual place, which still is quite similar in other ways:

statehousemasspaujd.jpg

Here is a image of the Rotunda:

usa_state_house_3_mahlur1.jpg

As you can see, the game has things like the flags in the background on the wall, but it's much smaller in prominence in the game, where it's a simple version of the original 13 colonial flag.

massachusetts_state_hwaufy.jpg

They did a fairly excellent job of accurately recreating the exterior.

massachussetsstatemurjquol.jpg

This one is actually right in front of the State House, where it is similarly located in the game. Only in the game there is like a giant Gazebo nearby, which I'm not sure exists irl.

massachusetts-state-h5quoj.jpg

As we exit, an aerial shot to get a sense of just how different the layout of the street in front of the building is irl, even while they share many crucial similarities. I'd love to see a design doc on this game.

LastNac

Ha! Don't presume that cutscenes have some kind of exclusive right over storytelling. Story telling in this medium needs to play to its strength(interaction) and stop borrowing the passive methods of other mediums. Pulling in a technique from another medium is a little lazy and tired, developers can do better. If we continue to relay on another medium to do the job of this one no one will ever take this medium series(outside the fanbase) and respect it. See Spielberg's complaints with videogame storytelling.

Edit: by the way, not defending the opinion of the original poster.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That isn't true at all.

You can tell good stories without using cutscenes. In fact I think cutscenes are a lazy bleed through from other mediums that will eventually die out as gaming matures. Saying that, The Last of Us was my favourite game of this generation and I never once got tired of the cutscenes.

I wish the notes and audio diaries were handled in a better way, though. Perhaps with Joel reading them out loud.
One way to really take advantage of the medium would be to have little pieces of the story be told like that, like when a main character reads a journal or a last note, similar to a flashback in a movie, flashing to it in a gameplay sequence rather than just showing it visually. Doing this is a compelling way would take an ensemble cast and the story would have to end up being way more of a tale of a community or event that something as character-driven as TLoU. But I think presenting some of those scenarios as temporary gameplay segments with new characters, even if unwinnable, could be cool.

Ha! Don't presume that cutscenes have some kind of exclusive right over storytelling. Story telling in this medium needs to play to its strength(interaction) and stop borrowing the passive methods of other mediums. Pulling in a technique from another medium is a little lazy and tired, developers can do better. If we continue to relay on another medium to do the job of this one no one will ever take this medium series(outside the fanbase) and respect it. See Spielberg's complaints with videogame storytelling.

Edit: by the way, not defending the opinion of the original poster.
Hey, so did you decide about getting the game? BTW I had sent you a PM

macewank

has anyone posted this yet? Apparently Naughty Dog used a map of the Boston Transit System that was created by this guy without permission?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/transitmap/status/348892399864512513[/tweet]

very interesting, if it's true.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a tip. If you hang out in the menus for a bit looking at bonuses/unlockables before you play, the load time is very short. Beats watching a dark screen with spores, right?

Good tip, thanks! I went straight to "continue" last night, and wondered why it took so long - got a percentage counter and everything (it was so slow at around 80%).

To be fair, the long load times are worth it when the rest of the game is seamless and restarts are very quick.

I'm up to the
high school escape
. It's been great so far, and I'm trying to keep my expectations in check for what's apparently still to come... I think I'm only at 25-30% or so (playing for almost 8 hours on hard - savouring it like a fine wine) and all the comments in here are making me nervous!

Tried the multiplayer, too. Really impressed. I'm not usually a fan of online shooter/rank-up stuff, but the way this is managed and more importantly the way it plays is refreshing. Stealth is handled really well, and working as a team feels especially rewarding. What's great is that even early on (only just started week 2) you can get the drop on more seasoned people and even take down a couple at once if you're observant and play smart. Good stuff.

Amir0x

Banned
has anyone posted this yet? Apparently Naughty Dog used a map of the Boston Transit System that was created by this guy without permission?

I bet this is true of more things in the game, there are so many assets. Didn't this game even have asset outsourcing? Probably the sheer wealth of material made a few things like this fall through the cracks.

alterno69

Banned
So, i'm playing what i believe is the final stretch now and the game ha corrupted not one, not two but three save files. I got out of a tunel and got to a blank room, no walls, no sound or textures so i restart, only i had to unplug the console to reset it, try to load my file and it gets stuck at 95.64%, so i go to chapters and have to replay the same area only to hace it crash at a further spot, again hard reset my console, replay such area but i disabled the internet conection on my PS3 first, replay the same fuking area and the game crashes again, now to a black screen, WTF is this shit, i'm typing this on my phone while i stare at the black screen and try to decide if i want to hard reset my console again or just split the fucking disc in half.

Game of the year my ass, i also lost two hours of my game on launch day thanks to the autosave bug, fuck this POS

Alright I'm about to start this up. Should I play on normal or hard?

Play on Hard.
Normal has more supplies lying that sometimes you'll be full on ammo.
You may question why that's a bad thing, but the experience of LoU is about minimizing gun use, using every skill & tool available, scanning the area, etc.
Normal allows a certain level of reckless play

Amir0x

Banned
So, i'm playing what i believe is the final stretch now and the game ha corrupted not one, not two but three save files. I got out of a tunel and got to a blank room, no walls, no sound or textures so i restart, only i had to unplug the console to reset it, try to load my file and it gets stuck at 95.64%, so i go to chapters and have to replay the same area only to hace it crash at a further spot, again hard reset my console, replay such area but i disabled the internet conection on my PS3 first, replay the same fuking area and the game crashes again, now to a black screen, WTF is this shit, i'm typing this on my phone while i stare at the black screen and try to decide if i want to hard reset my console again or just split the fucking disc in half.

Game of the year my ass, i also lost two hours of my game on launch day thanks to the autosave bug, fuck this POS

Yeah the game is a buggy mess for sure, but I never encountered the more serious ones everyone talked about.

Which is the opposite of my experience with Uncharted 2, where I experienced a new bug or huge game breaking glitch every other level it seemed like, and few others could relate. I had to post pictures of the glitches just to get people to believe it :(

If there is one area ND could stand to improve on, it's QA. :p

Megasoum

Banned

I work in the game industry and this happens all the time... Not saying it should or that it's a good thing but still.. It's common.

If there is one area ND could stand to improve on, it's QA. :p

Again, I work in the industry and, unlike what many people think, the QA is rarely at fault when a game is buggy. QA's job it to report the bugs, not fix them. If only you'd see the amount of VERY serious bugs that are still open in the database when a game launch simply because the devs don't want or can't fix them... I've worked on dozens of games over the years and I think it happened once or twice that I saw a bug from a user in a forum that was not already reported by QA but waived by the devs.

Been taking my time with this game, playing about 1-2 hour spurts and then taking a break. I'm about to get to
Lincoln High School
. When I was playing
The part right outside of the State House my mom asked "Have you come across the Swan Boats and not a few seconds later we see the Swan Boats that have been abandoned on the road in front of the State House.
I'm enjoying this game, but damn is it heavy. Every other post-apocalyptic game I've played has just felt like the broken world is there and simply a setting, but this feels so real. I want to know how much research they put into this game to make it feel this right if an event like this were to occur.

Amir0x

Banned
Been taking my time with this game, playing about 1-2 hour spurts and then taking a break. I'm about to get to
Lincoln High School
. When I was playing
The part right outside of the State House my mom asked "Have you come across the Swan Boats and not a few seconds later we see the Swan Boats that have been abandoned on the road in front of the State House.
I'm enjoying this game, but damn is it heavy. Every other post-apocalyptic game I've played has just felt like the broken world is there and simply a setting, but this feels so real. I want to know how much research they put into this game to make it feel this right if an event like this were to occur.

See this post I made to showcase just how the differences and similarities are between just one location in The Last of Us. Nobody commented on it yet, but it might be useful to you. I find it fascinating.

RDreamer

This insta kill thing from clickers is really annoying...

Winter:
In the warehouse thing with that dude defending against the onslaught and something always happens... they sneak up behind me or I run out of bullets at a bad time then bam dead...

alterno69

Banned
So, it looks like i wont be able to finish this game, i've now restarted with a new save file four times (97% spoilers)
in the tunnel were you fight a horde of infected, then swim through a bus, the ellie jumps across a fence to open a door
i've got a little further away each time, sudenly the voices are out o sync by like 30 seconds or more and then the sound fx are gone. I fucking hate havint to replay that tunel section and the next 10 minutes. What the fuck do i do now?

This insta kill thing from clickers is really annoying...

Winter:
In the warehouse thing with that dude defending against the onslaught and something always happens... they sneak up behind me or I run out of bullets at a bad time then bam dead...

Always kill Clickers first, always.

I just realised that I only took the weapon sway upgrade. I kinda forgot about the rest of the skills after that. LOL

Listen Mode is useless for me cause I turn it off anyway.

JB1981

So, it looks like i wont be able to finish this game, i've now restarted with a new save file four times (97% spoilers)
in the tunnel were you fight a horde of infected, then swim through a bus, the ellie jumps across a fence to open a door
i've got a little further away each time, sudenly the voices are out o sync by like 30 seconds or more and then the sound fx are gone. I fucking hate havint to replay that tunel section and the next 10 minutes. What the fuck do i do now?

I feel your pain dude. I had a similar experience earlier today on a different chapter. The only solution for me was to delete patch 1.01, redownload the patch, restart from an older save (losing only a little progress) and go from there. Luckily I didn't experience anymore bugs or load issues from then on

RDreamer

Always kill Clickers first, always.

Sometimes I can't tell where it is in this scenario. They do jump down randomly it seems.

I guess with those pulse headphones things might work alright, but I feel like the clicker noise is played really loud no matter how far away you are and it doesn't really work directionally. That or that sound just fucks with my brain like that.

Top Bottom