• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Darknight

OMG best game that I have played this year.

The story is sooo good that I kept thinking about it when I was working all week long. God damn it Naughty Dog, love you guys.

The story is so great. Damn it love Ellie and Joel. Always worried they would die.

Just finished it, and I loved it. I must say that 40% or so into the game I wondered what the fuss was all about. As much as I hate saying this, you need to play a good 10 or so hours before the game grips you and doesn't let go. There many fantastic moments,
the sniper, the whole winter sequence, the very last ending sequence
. There are a few things that could be improved though. The story was very straight forward and rather
predictable
. The controls could be improved; there were more than a few instances where the grab didn't quite work as it had previously. That said, the stealth gameplay was great. I'd love for ND to have a take at the Thief franchise.

I hope this is true. I've been REALLY having a hard time getting into it. Seems like the same old Uncharted, on rails, no freedom gameplay that I was over by the end of Uncharted 2. BUT I will keep going (only about 3-5 hours in).

It's just hard with State of Decay and Animal Crossing to fire up the PS3 . . .

daevv

Anyone else not really liking this game?

I mean the story is fine and it looks good but I cannot get used to the combat. I've tried changing the sensitivity but still find it very clunky when aiming any gun. The result is me dying a few times in every encounter (I'm playing it on normal difficulty). It's more of a chore to play instead of fun at this point. I can only play it for short while before I say "fuck this" and turn it off. I'm not that far into the game either.
Just met Bill and I'm on the way to the school.

Is there something I'm missing to the combat? Stealth is fun but not always an option. Maybe going from 20 hours of State of Decay into this has burned me out on zombies right now.

sunnz

I mean the story is fine and it looks good but I cannot get used to the combat. I've tried changing the sensitivity but still find it very clunky when aiming any gun. The result is me dying a few times in every encounter (I'm playing it on normal difficulty). It's more of a chore to play instead of fun at this point. I can only play it for short while before I say "fuck this" and turn it off. I'm not that far into the game either.

Is there something I'm missing to the combat? Stealth is fun but not always an option. Maybe going from 20 hours of State of Decay into this has burned me out on zombies right now.

Stealth is an option the majority of the time, the AI is quite difficult at times and getting spotted is likely ( which I love, makes it challenging)

Never had a problem with the combat. The gun sways but that can be reduced with the pills.

Are you used to aiming with controllers?

Pein

Banned
Alright finished it a half hour ago, and its best game of the gen and favorite game of all time now.

My rankings for this gen
1. the last of us
2. Uncharted 2
3. red dead redemption
4. Bioshock infinite

Naughty dog has been my favorite dev since PS1, its amazing they're just getting better and better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sometimes I can't tell where it is in this scenario. They do jump down randomly it seems.

I guess with those pulse headphones things might work alright, but I feel like the clicker noise is played really loud no matter how far away you are and it doesn't really work directionally. That or that sound just fucks with my brain like that.

You can look at clickers differently than you have for most of the game in that sequence.

Ellie basically has unlimited shivs with her knife, and as long as you get behind one, even if it's strangling David, it's a one hit kill. Make sure to run around a lot and keep your distance. You can take them out a lot more freely like this. You can also go into the tunnel for a different vantage. Save ammo for ones that are very far away, enemies that are still coming in the window, and the bloater.

Amir0x

Banned

You should always be in a position to deliberately line up your shots. If you're entering into a traditional 'shoot out', that's when you know you've done it wrong. Take a shot or two that you aim extremely well, then move to another position to hide and get them searching, and then either re-engage with another carefully aimed shot or simply stealth kill a few.

One of the best things about Last of Us is the approach to combat. Every shot clearly has impact and matters, the force is great, the weight and feel of it all is right on the spot. It simply must be played differently and a bit more strategically than other shooters

Is State of Decay good? I keep hearing people talking about it. It's on PC, right?

This insta kill thing from clickers is really annoying...

Winter:
In the warehouse thing with that dude defending against the onslaught and something always happens... they sneak up behind me or I run out of bullets at a bad time then bam dead...

Hardest part in the game if it makes you feel any better.

Amir0x

Banned

haha, that's pretty bad.

Yeah, example of some of my Uncharted 2 trouble:

unchartedglitch01nau3d.jpg

unchartedglitch02fzujr.jpg

I had just finished clearing the room of people too and then I had no way to escape, had to reload and redo the whole room :(

daevv

Stealth is an option the majority of the time, the AI is quite difficult at times and getting spotted is likely ( which I love, makes it challenging)

Never had a problem with the combat. The gun sways but that can be reduced with the pills.

Are you used to aiming with controllers?

I played through all the Uncharted games (even the Vita version) with little or no problems. I guess my expectations of the game was it to be more of a apocalyptic Uncharted style shooter game. Everyone hates on shooters nowadays but that's what I wanted this to be.

You should always be in a position to deliberately line up your shots. If you're entering into a traditional 'shoot out', that's when you know you've done it wrong. Take a shot or two that you aim extremely well, then move to another position to hide and get them searching, and then either re-engage with another carefully aimed shot or simply stealth kill a few.

One of the best things about Last of Us is the approach to combat. Every shot clearly has impact and matters, the force is great, the weight and feel of it all is right on the spot. It simply must be played differently and a bit more strategically than other shooters

Is State of Decay good? I keep hearing people talking about it. It's on PC, right?

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that shooting method the next time. State of Decay was really good actually. I played it on 360. It has flaws yes but still fun to play.

vpance

Regarding stealth. The thing about it in this game is that it feels fair. You have enough methods of attack in your arsenal that lets you handle almost any situation without feeling like you got hosed. And when you do take everyone out stealthily it feels really rewarding.

There was basically only about 2 situations where I thought the encounters were setup unfairly, which was the hotel basement and part with Sam. Maybe unfair is the wrong word though. I just felt like I needed to do something gamey to cheese through the situation.

alterno69

Banned
I ran into something similar in U3 i think, nothing game breaking tho, i can't go past this part of the chapter at all. I'm gonna let my console cool off for a couple of hours and try again, took me so many tries to beat that tunel section and then i've redone it five mote times i'm an expert now.

Amir0x

Banned
Regarding stealth. The thing about it in this game is that it feels fair. You have enough methods of attack in your arsenal that lets you handle almost any situation without feeling like you got hosed. And when you do take everyone out stealthily it feels really rewarding.

There was basically only about 2 situations where I thought the encounters were setup unfairly, which was the hotel basement and part with Sam. Maybe unfair is the wrong word though. I just felt like I needed to do something gamey to cheese through the situation.

There have been a few situations where I don't know how a clicker spotted me though on Survivor. It didn't happen on Hard, but on survivor there seems to be some probability that a clicker will turn about and see me even if I'm standing still. Twice now since my replay Tess or Ellie ran in front of me, pushing my character out of the way which immediately alarmed the clickers near by.

The game also could have used a few more gameplay options to add depth to the stealth, which tended to be rather barebones in the end.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that shooting method the next time. State of Decay was really good actually. I played it on 360. It has flaws yes but still fun to play.

It's really fun once you get the understanding of the flow. For a little while I had to adjust to the difference in approach because I'm so used to just getting into wild west like shoot outs in games. I hope you can get a handle on it :)

daevv

It's really fun once you get the understanding of the flow. For a little while I had to adjust to the difference in approach because I'm so used to just getting into wild west like shoot outs in games. I hope you can get a handle on it :)

I hope so. Thanks.

This been posted yet? I went back a few pages and didn't see it. It's so true even after playing it for a short time.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The cool thing about stealth is that it isn't all or nothing... sometimes you stealth just enough to shift the balance of power in your favor. Or just enough so that, if a shoot out does happen, you have the resources to handle it.

Which guys have melee weapons? Do not prioritize them. Does anyone have a rifle or shotgun? Then that is your target for stealth, or your first careful shot with your limited bullets. If you're going to get into a shootout, think about your fallback position.

Unlike most every other game, if you break stealth and shit goes sideways, you can escape and put the enemies back into a search pattern.

So lets say you have two decent rounds for your rifle. Make them count for the most dangerous enemies, and then hide, you can go into a cat and mouse game with the remaining enemies. Hopefully you have neutralized the most dangerous of them.

imBask

Banned
I get why some of you liked the ending but here's why I personally didnt like it

I can't relate to the main character since he decided to lie to Ellie just so he could have a new "daughter" which also leads to the cancelation of SAVING THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD... I see it as a selfish move and it doesn't suit me or my way of thinking at all, so the ending was really disapointing to me

I'lm at
Salt Lake City
right now. The end is nigh and I like the game so far. It's good. The story is good. The gameplay felt linear. The graphics were great. The characters carried everything. They could've done better in explaining the
town part before Salt Lake City. I assume it's just the one guy whose chopping up children without anyone knowing and leading a community.

The cool thing about stealth is that it isn't all or nothing... sometimes you stealth just enough to shift the balance of power in your favor. Or just enough so that, if a shoot out does happen, you have the resources to handle it.

That's something I enjoyed about UC2 and hated about UC3. Even if you screwed up a stealth scene and only got two guys instead of five, that's two less guys you've taken out for free, sometimes with an little extra ninja bonus incentive. And in the TLOU, some of the best moments in the game come from screwing up stealth and having to deal with the alert enemies.

In UC3, didn't matter how many guys you cleared up, if you fucked up on the last two dudes in the airport scene for example, here comes a mysterious wave of snipers/armor shotgun people/grenadiers/etc! I hated that shit, made it seem like my stealth was for nothing.

Just beat the game...

That ending was perfect. I know it sort of ended abruptly, and I can see why people dislike the ending, but if you've been reading the logs near the end then you know why it had to be.

Incredible game all around - kudos to Naughty Dog and I look forward to the PS4 they're cooking up. Will be there on day one.

vpance

There have been a few situations where I don't know how a clicker spotted me though on Survivor. It didn't happen on Hard, but on survivor there seems to be some probability that a clicker will turn about and see me even if I'm standing still. Twice now since my replay Tess or Ellie ran in front of me, pushing my character out of the way which immediately alarmed the clickers near by.

That sounds rough. I haven't started Survivor yet but that would definitely make getting by them a lot harder. I felt Runners were more terrifying than Clickers since I could sneak past the latter pretty easily.

The game also could have used a few more gameplay options to add depth to the stealth, which tended to be rather barebones in the end.

The last level was a little dragged out, but seeing the final scene was worth it.

I get why some of you liked the ending but here's why I personally didnt like it

I can't relate to the main character since he decided to lie to Ellie just so he could have a new "daughter" which also leads to the cancelation of SAVING THE WHOLE FUCKING WORLD... I see it as a selfish move and it doesn't suit me or my way of thinking at all, so the ending was really disapointing to me

This isn't your story. This is Joel and Ellie's story. Joel's choice disappointing you should be a GOOD thing, and the game managing to stir up emotions is a forward step in game narratives. I personally loved the ending BECAUSE it isn't a typical ending, especially not for a AAA game, and in the end Joel gonna Joel. If it took you until the end to realize you couldn't relate to a psychopath living in a post-apocalypse America, maybe the issue lies with how YOU were looking at the game. That's why a character being relatable doesn't even come up in whether or not I enjoy a story. The only that that matters is whether I'm interested.

If aiming feels wonky, grab the weapon sway upgrade. It's the MOST important upgrade for me.

Regarding the ending, maybe you guys can discuss it over the SPOILER thread instead.

vpance

That's something I enjoyed about UC2 and hated about UC3. Even if you screwed up a stealth scene and only got two guys instead of five, that's two less guys you've taken out for free, sometimes with an little extra ninja bonus incentive. And in the TLOU, some of the best moments in the game come from screwing up stealth and having to deal with the alert enemies.

In UC3, didn't matter how many guys you cleared up, if you fucked up on the last two dudes in the airport scene for example, here comes a mysterious wave of snipers/armor shotgun people/grenadiers/etc! I hated that shit, made it seem like my stealth was for nothing.

I always felt that the first UC actually did the sandbox-melee-gunfight the best. I think there were more arena like levels in that one.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
whose chopping up children without anyone knowing and leading a community.

There's a scene where Joel walks through a room that's hung with human bodies (similar to cattle carcasses that are being hung to drain the blood/age the meat). The clear implication is that David's group are cannibals.

Was anyone else really depressed after finishing this game? I had to go play something fun and silly after finishing it. TLoU is by far the most downer of a game I've ever played, even worse than Spec Ops The Line.

forrest

formerly nacire
Im diving in fresh tonight, what are the best settings to play the game on? I generally play games on hard for the first play through to make for a more rewarding experience. Is that the case with Last of Us?

I think this was ND's intention.

This isn't your story. This is Joel and Ellie's story. Joel's choice disappointing you should be a GOOD thing, and the game managing to stir up emotions is a forward step in game narratives. I personally loved the ending BECAUSE it isn't a typical ending, especially not for a AAA game, and in the end Joel gonna Joel. If it took you until the end to realize you couldn't relate to a psychopath living in a post-apocalypse America, maybe the issue lies with how YOU were looking at the game. That's why a character being relatable doesn't even come up in whether or not I enjoy a story. The only that that matters is whether I'm interested.

Spot on.

Im diving in fresh tonight, what are the best settings to play the game on? I generally play games on hard for the first play through to make for a more rewarding experience. Is that the case with Last of Us?

hard difficulty, listen mode off.

jackb2424

Banned
I beat the game 2 nights ago. I waited two days to think about what I had just experienced and make a rational decision on how good a game it was.

This is my game of the generation as well as one of my favorite games of all time. I have never seen anything like this before in all of my gaming life. Only a hand few of games come close to achieving that greatest game achievement. This, however, dwarfs all others in this honor. The storytelling, graphics, characters, animation, AI, and yes gameplay were beyond excellent. Melee combat has never felt so well executed as this, nor has the gunplay. It was just sublime. Winter.......(no words)

Nothing was left for scrutiny. Every room was worth exploring, every note was worth reading. When Ellie would speak, I would literally run to her to make sure I didn't miss an optional conversation.

The maturity of the story and the brutality of this world are second to none. Naughty Dog are above others in their craft and it really shines through with The Last of Us. I haven't felt this way for a game in a long time.They make this hobby of mine well worth the price. It was all exceptional. I never wanted it to end. Games are never made this good. Bravo ND Bravo.

Oh wow, so my game really was bugged in my first Survivor playthrough yesterday. I didn't have a second rifle slot for some reason on the hardest part of the game (
Ellie & David vs infected
), so it was even harder because I had to constantly switch between the two weapons. Just hit this part again on NG+ and what do you know - two slots. Argh!

Aske

Just finished it.

Really didn't like the gameplay - it felt over-simplistic, loose, and unsatisfying - and the story took a while to hook me; but by the end I was left massively impressed by the experience. The game tells a superb story using techniques completely unique to the medium, and for that reason alone it's a masterpiece. Perfect ending.

sappyday

Just finished it.

Really didn't like the gameplay - it felt over-simplistic, loose, and unsatisfying - and the story took a while to hook me; but by the end I was left massively impressed by the experience. The game tells a superb story using techniques completely unique to the medium, and for that reason alone it's a masterpiece. Perfect ending.

What mode did you play it on and how did you play it?

I didn't find the gameplay enjoyable until I took the time to stealth my way through but at the same time I let myself do some run & gun in between to let out some of my emotions.

darilaho

Banned
I just finish the Game, Really the best game i ever play since MGS4,
I dont Spoiler anything but really hope for the sequela
And if is possilbe, a Joe game spin-off because really in the end Joe is a killer Machine :p

v59.png

I agree with you,
but I think it makes sense for the game or someone in Joel's position to respond the way he did. Just because option A may give mankind a cure now doesn't mean option A is easy/possible for someone to go through with.

sappyday

I just finish the Game, Really the best game i ever play since MGS4,
I dont Spoiler anything but really hope for the sequela
And if is possilbe, a Joe game spin-off because really in the end Joe is a killer Machine :p

v59.png

I hope that banner didn't cost you a lot of time to make. lol

Alright finished it a half hour ago, and its best game of the gen and favorite game of all time now.

My rankings for this gen
1. the last of us
2. Uncharted 2
3. red dead redemption
4. Bioshock infinite

Naughty dog has been my favorite dev since PS1, its amazing they're just getting better and better.

I think that we have the same top 4. My 5 is Arkham City.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

warning serious ending spoilers below

I think people are misreading Joel's
motivations. He did not lie because he is selfish... he did so to protect Ellie from the weight of it. So she would not have to feel such immense guilt just for living her life. He chose to shoulder all the weight of it himself. Maybe someday, when she is older, he will tell her. Maybe. But Ellie doesn't owe the world anything. And all the people who feel entitled to what she has, even if it costs her life, they are the dark side of humanity. And she is not beholden to them or anyone. Not even if the cure was 100% guaranteed. Which it wasn't. Joel witnessed how hard Ellie fought for life. Her will to live was demonstrated over and over again. He eventually assumed the role of guardian and parent, and ultimately acted in her best interest. In the end, he protected a child from those who meant to kill her. He did not fuck over the world, it was already well-fucked.

WARNING: HUGE UNMARKED SPOILERS TWO POSTS DOWN

warning serious ending spoilers below

I think people are misreading Joel's
motivations. He did not lie because he is selfish... he did so to protect Ellie from the weight of it. So she would not have to feel such immense guilt just for living her life. He chose to shoulder all the weight of it himself. Maybe someday, when she is older, he will tell her. Maybe. But Ellie doesn't owe the world anything. And all the people who feel entitled to what she has, even if it costs her life, they are the dark side of humanity. And she is not beholden to them or anyone. Not even if the cure was 100% guaranteed. Which it wasn't. Joel witnessed how hard Ellie fought for life. Her will to live was demonstrated over and over again. He eventually assumed the role of guardian and parent, and ultimately acted in her best interest. In the end, he protected a child from those who meant to kill her. He did not fuck over the world, it was already well-fucked.
I have gravitated towards your viewpoint over the course of this thread, but I still see obvious mentions or examples of how flawed Joel is. You're assuming quite a lot with your statement and I think if it was truly what you claim it to be, it would be much more clear cut(with Joel's motivations specifically). Joel is back in town with his brother who once told him he'd never want to see him ever again. That alone spells future conflict for me.

Top Bottom