• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

Dead

well not really...yet
83% in according to my save file, just
took back control of Joel

I don't want this to end...everything about it is utterly perfect...

darilaho

Banned
This Game is so perfect that i gonna play for third time.

I'd that Naughty Dog had included this mode, it will be challenging :p

wi9k.png

-Winnie-

Wanted to chime in on this, I love the SH vibe in the menu sounds. There's also a metallic sort of tone that comes up sometimes at quiet moments that sounds straight out of an SH game.

Yes, I noticed this as well! Also,
that ending theme sounds straight out of Silent Hill. Fucking love it.

kaskade

Well I finally ended up getting the game today. Damn. That opening is insane. I probably played for like 2 and a half hours so far. I know that's not too much but for me that's the longest consecutive playing of a game I've done in a long time. Maybe since Red Dead. This isn't even open world.

RDreamer

Just finished it, and wow that was quite an ending and intense last bit of gameplay.

Also, damn, that felt like a looooooong game. Took me about 20 hours to get through. I really can't believe just how long they made it. Kind of feel like they would have gotten away with about 2/3 or even 3/4 of that time.

Mikey Jr.

I don't understand how someone makes that mistake with a game like this.
I was approaching the end of the game with dread and the sweet relief would have felt awesome. I feel robbed :(

No offense. But it is kind of your fault.

I avoided this thread while playing because there was no point me being in here.

I'm glad I did. Got the full experience.

I did the exact same with Bioshock Infinite and will do the same with the next story focused game.

Cloudy

Banned
Just finished it, and wow that was quite an ending and intense last bit of gameplay.

Also, damn, that felt like a looooooong game. Took me about 20 hours to get through. I really can't believe just how long they made it. Kind of feel like they would have gotten away with about 2/3 or even 3/4 of that time.

Took me 20+ hours as well. Loved every bit of it (well except enemies running at me in the dark lol). I feel like ND earned my $60 and I will happily shell out more for DLC

TripOpt55

Just finished up my Survivor run. It wasn't that bad. A couple of spots kicked my butt a little, but otherwise, it was easier than I thought it'd be.

Xamdou

Ok so I am thinking about getting a pre-owned copy of the Last of Us, now is there some sort of online pass I've been hearing about?

18hrs and 84% in,
I thought I'd lost Joel up until Ellie told David she wanted medicine :(
I plan on tackling the rest Thursday night, I'm up to the part where
Ellie escapes from David and jumps out the window
, can I finish it in a 2-3 hour sitting?

advice kill all the
heavily armed guards in the first aread then duck behind the counter in the hallway so you can skip another set run to the door save frustration and time
at the end depending on the difficulty playing youl find your way through the next area easily there are only two ways to attack the task

I guess that's something. I will play the multi-player for a bit then restart the game on Hard. I need more Ellie in my life

go for survivor esp if you didnt rely on listen mode. its well worth it and its not that terrifying i did it faster than my original normal mode time by 3-4 hours

Cloudy

Banned
go for survivor esp if you didnt rely on listen mode. its well worth it and its not that terrifying i did it faster than my original normal mode time by 3-4 hours

I did use listen mode. I do not like things jumping out and scaring me so no way I play this game without it LOL

Chris R

advice kill all the
heavily armed guards in the first aread then duck behind the counter in the hallway so you can skip another set run to the door save frustration and time
at the end depending on the difficulty playing youl find your way through the next area easily there are only two ways to attack the task

Uh... this advice is for 98% in, not 84%.

2-3 hours is possible to complete the game from 84% if you rush and don't explore.

So I can play single-player just fine then? Cool.

How is multi-player though?

slow and frightening depending on the matchups if you get alot of new people on your team versus a team of people who get the play style already, your doomed. you have to move slowly take your time stay in groups but not so tight as you can be immediately raped. its a very different pace than most online shooting caliber games.

running makes you show up on radar. listen mode runs out and has to recharge. but if you are still they wont see you with listen mode so its crawling watching peeping. pretty riveting most of the time imo

Uh... this advice is for 98% in, not 84%.

2-3 hours is possible to complete the game from 84% if you rush and don't explore.

yeah but from my experience and watching two others beat the game as well, the end part was almost a two hour fest of watching people slam their heads against the wall compared to where hes saying he was. enemies with
automatics
are a bitch

Chuck

Still without luck
Just finished it. What a masterpiece. Incredible performances all around and I can't believe Nolan North was
David
. Totally shocked after I saw his name in the credits and the found out that's who he played. Would have never guessed it in a hundred years. For a game in which I was floored by the performance of Troy Baker, it's nice to see Nolan North still be fantastic.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm just over 10 hours in and have finally reached fall, which I suppose is the end of act 1...?

Jesus Christ what fantastic game this is thus far. It's obviously not perfect, but my god does it do so, so many things well that the few things that it drops the ball on are nitpicking at best.

I'm actually stopping and taking my time to read every note that I come across. When Joel reacts to how new information relates to what has transpired it feels so natural and appropriate. It makes these areas that you're passing through feel weighed with history.

The game definitely gives off a Resident Evil vibes at certain points. After RE 4, this is what next gen Resident Evil should have been about. Not the fucking shoot, shoot, bang, bang that we've had to deal with in RE 5 and 6. Although I have a decent amount of resources available to me at all times (playing on normal), The Last of Us feels very much like a survival horror game cloaked in action-adventure. It's a great blend of the two.

Anyway, I have no clue how much longer I have until I cross the finish line. 10 hour deep and one single trophy to show for it. That's unheard of for games with this much narrative and is most certainly by design. You really have to go after these trophies to unlock them. I love it!

Wow got this from Redbox last night, I was so uninterested in this game originally(thought it looked really generic but lacked the charm and wow factor of Uncharted)
proved me wrong from the intro.
Can't believe some of the character models look even better than Uncharted.
the clothes on the character in the beginning is probably the best looking graphic detail I have seen in a game.

Aspiring

So I am 10 hours in 47% done. Just got past
the hotel bit when Ellie stays up top with the rifle.

So so good. Definitely my GOTY so far and can't wait to play more. Naughty Dog are simply put the greatest developer in the world.

Dot50Cal

Banned
So I'm curious how much time I have left. Fairly far in the game, I think. I'm:

at the point where Ellie just escaped on horseback to lead the others away from Joel.

Could someone who's beaten the game let me know how much longer I have?

I'm so happy with the game thus far. Besides MGS4, its the reason I was looking for to still own a PS3. I'd say thus far, its my favorite game of this generation.

OG Loc

So I purchased TLOU last Thursday. My girlfriend and I played (well, more like she watched me play) it Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We've been taking out sweet time with it, playing for about two hours each day because it was intense as fuck and I couldn't deal with constant stress it put my little bitch made heart under (I love you, Naughty Dog). We left off at the
museum after the beam falls and Joel gets separated from Ellie and Tess.

Lately, I've been itching to play it again but I won't see my gf until Sunday at best. I know she really loves watching me play and being able to experience the game with me. That said, I'm seriously contemplating saying "Fuck her, she likes to watch Let's Play videos anyway. She can do the same for this," and continuing without her. But I know I should just suck it up and wait till she and I can "play" together.

The Last Of Us has turned me into a shitball boyfriend.

So I'm curious how much time I have left. Fairly far in the game, I think. I'm:

at the point where Ellie just escaped on horseback to lead the others away from Joel.

Could someone who's beaten the game let me know how much longer I have?

I'm so happy with the game thus far. Besides MGS4, its the reason I was looking for to still own a PS3. I'd say thus far, its my favorite game of this generation.

Probably around 2-4 hours.

Dot50Cal

Banned
OG, I was doing the same for about 6 hours into it, til I said fuck it and went wild today. We can only play in short spurts otherwise, 1-2 hours. If shes really interested, I don't mind playing it through again for her to watch.

Edit: ^ Thanks, Snake!

Superflat

Lately, I've been itching to play it again but I won't see my gf until Sunday at best. I know she really loves watching me play and being able to experience the game with me. That said, I'm seriously contemplating saying "Fuck her, she likes to watch Let's Play videos anyway. She can do the same for this," and continuing without her. But I know I should just suck it up and wait till she and I can "play" together.

The Last Of Us has turned me into a shitball boyfriend.

Play to the end of the game and start a new game plus to the point where you both left off :p

If you're the type to replay games that is, haha

Does anyone else think it wouldve been cool if ND added a silenced pistol to play through with on new game plus? Would be so fun and completely different to play through this game solid snake style.

Superflat

Does anyone else think it wouldve been cool if ND added a silenced pistol to play through with on new game plus? Would be so fun and completely different to play through this game solid snake style.

The silenced pistol was really nice in multiplayer and wished it existed in single player :(

The click-clack of a silenced shot was really satisfying.

would've made the game combat pointless imo

If they made the bullets scarce enough, like the arrows, I think it coulda been a neat emergency weapon.

would've made the game combat pointless imo

Well from a vanilla first playthrough perspective yeah, sure. But so were the bonuses in RE4 for NG+ but they were still a blast to play with. Just think it would be a fun little bonus for finishing the game (and obviously the mechanics are there from the multiplayer).

DatDude

Banned
Well from a vanilla first playthrough perspective yeah, sure. But so were the bonuses in RE4 for NG+ but they were still a blast to play with. Just think it would be a fun little bonus for finishing the game (and obviously the mechanics are there from the multiplayer).

Last I checked, wasn't RE4 an action game?

The bonuses pretty much fit with the theme of the game no?

Mononoke

Banned
Just hit 90% tonight. I got side-tracked by some stuff, so I'm barely finishing this one up. I'll play it tomorrow and complete it, since I just did a 6 hour marathon. All I can say is wow, this game is brilliant. Absolutely loved the story so far, and the characters. I'm also a really big fan on the combat/level design. At least to me, this has some of the most intense/engaging action I've ever experienced in a game. I'm not really an expert on this stuff, so I'll just explain quickly how I feel. But I feel the weight of the characters, and the gunplay, really makes the violence have a heavier impact than most games. Every shot I take, every person I kill, becomes brutal. And I don't say this in a OMG this is amazing how real it feels, or saying this in a way to glorify or praise violence. Quite the opposite. This for me, makes my actions feel like they have more consequences than the usual arcade shoot em up. And it plays into the darker/survival themes of the game.

I also like that ND gave us a lot of room to explore and navigate each section. While at the end of the day this is still a linear game, there is a lot of different paths you can take to take down enemies, or navigate the terrain. I never feel bored like I did with BioShock Infinite. And while The Last of Us certainly has "wave killing", I feel ND does a better job spreading those moments out, or having sections where there are people doing their own thing, and you have to kill them, or sneak around them to get by (vs the typical, x amount of bad guys run to level and keep coming at you).

Since this game is so narrative driven, I guess I should actually beat it before throwing anymore praise on it. But I just really loved every second of this game so far. I really appreciate the mature themes and dark tone.

burgerdog

Just finished my survivor+ run along with all SP trophies. I'm nowhere near tired of this game at all. Crazy. I might do a normal run so I can finally go all out against enemies and use bombs just because! I deserve an easy run after starting on hard and then survivor+ :D

Jobbs

Banned
Finally playing this game. Started on hard.

I haven't had too much trouble until just now.

I'm further into that
big slanted building, not long after getting the revolver. The girls stopped and I dropped down, and I'm in this area with tons of infected wandering around along with at least one clicker. I keep getting spotted.
I've died on this part 5 times now before taking a break. (not complaining, I like a challenge) Gonna go try again now.

Just finished my survivor+ run along with all SP trophies. I'm nowhere near tired of this game at all. Crazy. I might do a normal run so I can finally go all out against enemies and use bombs just because! I deserve an easy run after starting on hard and then survivor+ :D

Any tips for the survival+ playthrough? anyone else?

Top Bottom