• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us |OT| It Can’t Be For Nothing (Spoilers)

really loving this game A LOT. But it has problems. The friendly AI is retarded sometimes and it breaks the immersion factor. Otherwise a great game so far :)

Donos

Going to start it right now. Normal without Listening Mode or Hard without Listening mode?
I don't mind hard games but hate it when they have cheap places where i'm stuck for 2 hours. I'm not someone who wants to stealth 100% through every level/map and like to mix it up with some action.
What you say GAF?

Septimius

Going to start it right now. Normal without Listening Mode or Hard without Listening mode?
I don't mind hard games but hate it when they have cheap places where i'm stuck for 2 hours. I'm not someone who wants to stealth 100% through every level/map and like to mix it up with some action.
What you say GAF?

Well, if I were to play without listen mode, I'd probably have to turn off the music. Because I'd be able to tell where things were if there were no music during stealth segments. But that's an important part of the game, so whenever there's music when I want to hear, and I feel I would've been able to tell otherwise, I tap the listen mode button for a second.

I think you get an unfair handicap by it simply being a game, so I don't mind something that can help me in that department. Again, if someone forced me to play on survivor without listen mode, I'd just have to turn off the music. No problem, really.

Oh, yeah. Hard. If you're stuck, it's just because you're not approaching the situation right.

Dakota47

Man I should have used some there. He kept chipping away at me while I went from cover to cover

Guys, could you do this discussion in the spoiler thread, or clearly mark what the spoilers are about? Some people here haven't finished the game yet.

Septimius

Guys, could you do this discussion in the spoiler thread, or clearly mark what the spoilers are about? Some people here haven't finished the game yet.

This is very, very important. Mark what your spoilers are about. Please prefix them with the percentage of the game it's at. 100% if it's a complete game thing. I'm at 70, but I just don't dare uncover anything that I don't know exactly what is.

Lakitu

st5fu
So what percentage am I at? Fall spoilers I guess.
Just got to the science lab in the campus and I'm being attacked by some angry dudes. Everybody hates us. That's what the game should be called.

That's an unfortunate oversight. It's out there now though, the artist will get their compensation if it really is deserved.

Just got to the science lab in the campus and I'm being attacked by some angry dudes. Everybody hates us. That's what the game should be called.

Load or Save the game and hover over the file. You'll see your percentage.

denshuu

Somewhere around 70-80%, maybe? You can check your percentage by going to the Load menu. It takes a second but it tells you how far along you are.

ttocs

A lot of people complained about the ending of the last of us but I thought it was brilliant.

In the end,
the game wasn't really about a zombie apocalypse but rather a parents love for a child. The fact that Joel called Ellie baby girl after she stabbed in the face of the survivor guy in the restaurant during winter to how he carried her out of the hospital like he did with his daughter in the beginning of the game. It was just awesome. Plus, I really like how he killed the woman who raised her to keep his "daughter" safe. Ellie knew he was lying, but because of the journey they went on, she was ok with that. And that was that. Excellent game!

Moofers

I didn't expect much out of the multiplayer for some reason, but I've grown to really enjoy it and now I'm kind of hooked. Its like part SOCOM, part Counter-Strike, part Splinter Cell. This could have legs for me. I'm pretty much playing Survivors exclusively. Good shit.

Wish it had a Horde mode though. 4P fending off infected and clickers would be rad.

I thought of buying a Pulse headset for this game, but I tweeted Yoshida and he told me Pulse support for the PS4 is still unconfirmed :(

Hopefully it happens, because I want my next playthrough to be on a 7.1 system.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
So i"m playing this game in 1-2 hour spurts because I have a fatty and I don't want it to get fried.
There are more enemy encounters than I expected, but each one is unique enough, and I like how you pretty much can't win shootouts vs more than say 2 enemies.

Great until I got to the bullshit
rope trap scene
. I am so sick of shit like this, these hackneyed cinematic bullshit scenarios that run completely contrary to how the rest of the game behaves and take control away from the player. I hated the bullshit asteroid shooting gallery in Dead Space, I wasn't fond of the shit in DS2 or TR, and I hate it here. I almost snapped the disc in half last night. I mean, I can't clear a room of infected in a normal situation, they overwhelm me, why should I be forced to do it in this bullshit scenario? This bullshit and waves of mooks needs to die next gen. Any developer that employs either deserves to have their balls chomped by a shark.

I mad.

So someone help me out here.
I figured out if I let the runners grab me, I can shake them of and my gun is aim straight at their head. Bang dead. The clicker is another matter. I can shoot him 3 times in the head and all that does is stagger him. Then I run out of bullets and chomp. Am I supposed to shoot the rope? I tried and couldn't get close. Whats the trick here? Not sucking is not an option for me.

ttocs

So i"m playing this game in 1-2 hour spurts because I have a fatty and I don't want it to get fried.
There are more enemy encounters than I expected, but each one is unique enough, and I like how you pretty much can't win shootouts vs more than say 2 enemies.

rope trap scene
. I am so sick of shit like this, these hackneyed cinematic bullshit scenarios that run completely contrary to how the rest of the game behaves and take control away from the player. I hated the bullshit asteroid shooting gallery in Dead Space, I wasn't fond of the shit in DS2 or TR, and I hate it here. I almost snapped the disc in half last night. I mean, I can't clear a room of infected in a normal situation, they overwhelm me, why should I be forced to do it in this bullshit scenario? This bullshit and waves of mooks needs to die next gen. Any developer that employs either deserves to have their balls chomped by a shark.

I mad.

I figured out if I let the runners grab me, I can shake them of and my gun is aim straight at their head. Bang dead. The clicker is another matter. I can shoot him 3 times in the head and all that does is stagger him. Then I run out of bullets and chomp. Am I supposed to shoot the rope? I tried and couldn't get close. Whats the trick here? Not sucking is not an option for me.

I think you're making that scene worse than it is. I got through on second try with a clicker eating my face the first time being the only real problem.
Just focus on the clicker first since he's a one shot kill if he gets you. For everyone else, just shoot them in the stomach. Don't aim for the head since that takes time you don't have. Aim at them the second you can as well, watch in the distance, they'll climb the fence and you can hit them then.

And by the way, I have a PS fat as well and played marathon sessions of this game. It's still going strong. Don't worry about time constraints, you'll be fine extending that play session by a few hours.

rope trap scene

I mad.

You don't have to aim for the head. And reload manually after each "wave"

Superflat

Lent my copy to my brother less than a week ago.

HEY HOW FAR ARE YOU?

YOU DONE YET?

HOW ABOUT TODAY?

YOU THINK YOU CAN FINISH IT BY TOMORROW?

I'm already having withdrawals.

I'm not that obnoxious but I sure was thinking it =_=

This game is so rewarding and good. I can't stop playing and even all the deaths I suffer don't frustrate but actually make me want to try even harder.

Best moments so far:

I nearly got a hard attack and went into full attack mode because I heard a strange noise. Turns out it was only Ellie whistling. The scene after that where you hang from the rope is quite the cool action scene.

Negative impressions:

- It seems there are often white dots/pixels hurting the immersion. Either it is my PS3/TV or some sort of clipping/rendering issue

- Sometimes I just sneak around and end up in the next "chapter" unable to go back and thus missing some stuff (happened in the
museum
where I missed a locked door because the game put me in the exit.

Edit: Just forgot to add - it really paid off to go on a total black out for this game. The game gets so much better if you are unprepared.
I did not know there are "zombies" in the game or that the girl isn't Joels daughter.

Donos

took me at least 30min and like 14 deaths (Hard, no listening mode) to beat the first "real" encounter with the runners and clicker -_-

Joels animations in stealth are superb,

Edit: Just forgot to add - it really paid off to go on a total black out for this game. The game gets so much better if you are unprepared.
I did not know there are "zombies" in the game or that the girl isn't Joels daughter.

Agreed. I thought Tess was Joel's daughter and had never heard of bloaters. It was a surprise.

Just finished it.

I'm in awe of what Naughty Dog have accomplished through the medium of video games. I'm a strict supporter of "systems" being foremost in a game, example being Day Z which is almost endless in how you collect random loot, traverse the environment, and react to the random hordes of zombies. Another example is Minecraft, endless gameplay in a dynamic game world with no story to speak of.

However, Naughty Dog crafts an amazing "system" of their own. This is a narrative, and cinematic system that sucks you directly in to the world they have crafted. This is a system that allows you to suspend your belief for the moments that you are playing and causes real ownership of the choices you make to progress past the various threats. One that creates an investment to the characters you are controlling in every step of the narrative, aided by stunning visuals that surround you without VR goggles or 3D glasses.

I'm a player who predominantly skips stories in games, it's more important that the time you are in control is satisfying and addicting (why I enjoy Nintendo's more recent games). Naughty Dog crafted a game that was wholly satisfying when in control as you survived against enemies in the shadows, but they also situated me in a world where what happens next is just as important as the "right now".

Hats off to the development team, I hope they read this message! This game is a testament to the medium and an accomplishment of great proportion. Next is Survivor mode!

Truant

In the GB QuickLook, the nailbomb completely eviscerated humans into a cloud of gore. I can't get that to happen in my game. They just ragdoll off with a missing leg.

Dennis

Banned
I loved the way the opening played out but
it was really obvious tragedy telegraphing to me. Handled well but it was so fucking obvious she was going to die. She wasn't Ellie, and the fact you did play as her as everything went to shit made it really obvious that Naughty Dog was trying to get you attached to her.

I don't really care, and was probably over thinking it, but I do have a tendency to do that. Soon as the intro started and they were doing the whole AWESOME DAUGHTER WHO LOVES HER OVERWORKED DAD PLUS ITS HIS BIRTHDAY I knew she'd bite it.

Really, as a whole, The Last of Us did use a lot of zombie apocalypse tropes. Infected person staying behind to let others get away. Infected sibling/lover/friend forced to be killed by their companion. Cannibals. Someone with an immunity. I don't mind, but yeah.

The beauty and artististry of it was that even though it was obvious how it would play out it still hit you hard.

Like Naugthy Dog saying "Yeah we know you know but we will make you FEEL anyway".

antitrop

The recipes.

lmao

REWxZzz.jpg

putarorex

Finished this last night. Easily one my favorite games of the generation, right up there with Read Dead Redemption. I'll probably try to play it through again after a week or so. I did about three matches of the multiplayer and it didn't pull me. I might give it another shot, but it is not fun watching other players bash my character's head in.

Senaxx

Banned
Started last saturday and sunday, and i'm now 15 hours into the game. I'm really enjoying it and my only negative point is the friendly AI. When you are in hiding and you hear the loud footsteps from your friendly AI running around is frustrating.

But I love the game and this is one of the more special games i've played this year.

Necrovex

I'm so sad right now. I am at the very end, 97%, and my Pulse headset needs to be recharged. I must wait to play the final hour of the game! GAHHHH!

I was very luke-warm towards this game after the beginning scene (the intro was god-tier), and I grew to really love this title as I progressed through the seasons. Winter was so damn good.

No smoke bombs? They're very useful if you want to make a run for it.

You can
sneak through the hospital
in about 5 minutes tops. It's the easiest part of the game if you know the route. You don't even have to strangle one single enemy.

I'll give it a go. I'm putting it off, partly because of how much it destroyed me in my first attempts (it's fucking tense too) and also because I know my single player experience is almost over :[

I really like this game.

Also, props to Naughty Dog for their clever attempts at suspense/tension in this game.

Fighting that guy as Ellie in the restaurant and hiding from him as he came running over to investigate noises - bloody terrifying

TTG

Ah, finally finished. I had to leave it at 97% for a day, but that 3% was longer than what I thought it would be. On the whole, I didn't respond to it nearly the same way a lot of people did... well let's start with the points I really enjoyed.

-First and foremost, I'm glad Naughty Dog made a game that moves at this pace. They've developed tremendous tech and have great artists as well, so it was really nice to soak it all in. Uncharted moves very quickly, a lot of their great work only got a passing glance from me in those games.

-The combat looks and feels great. Blowing someone's head off from 5 feet away looks great, so does the melee and transitions from sneaky/shooty to melee. Everything Ellie does in combat is so well crafted as well. The way she'll bail you out when you're losing a melee encounter. Even that pose where you're leaning up against a wall crouched and are occupying the same space Ellie is, that half embrace as you tuck away behind cover... awesome detail.

-This ties into the point above, but I think it's somewhat an achievement, so I'll separate it out. The Last of Us is probably the first cover based shooter that doesn't look obviously contrived, in terms of level design. The environments in these games always look exactly like what they are, a maze of chest and waist high walls, and it always sticks out like a sore thumb. That's not the case here, at least not most of the time. Obviously, some of that is down to the smart decisions that were made right off the bat, moving through the suburbs works thematically here and it really wouldn't in, say Gears. And these types of environments lend themselves well to this style of shooter. But, I'm sure a lot of that is up to the level design and artists as well.

-And finally, the ammo/inventory and crafting systems were balanced very well. I played it on hard and while I was never flat out without ammunition, the way I conserved ammo really worked well to force me into interesting decisions while in combat.

On to the other things that I didn't fall in love with like a lot of us have. The story, it was fun, but zombies and all of the tropes that go along with them, I don't know if there are less interesting genres out there at this point. It sounds dismissive, but there really isn't much more to say on this. Technically, the emotion they got out of the character animation was second to none. So was the voice acting, so was the pacing. As the seasons start to change, it really picks up.

The stealth was a bit of a mess. That sound que doesn't erase the fact that there's not a lot of auditory/visual feedback for where enemies are(I never turned on listener mode, btw). The AI is serviceable, but no more. They got patrolling down, breaking the line of sight when they're aggro worked, but those are basic mechanics that most games do at this point. They don't have advanced strategies or defensive tactics when they find bodies, they're still easily tricked into walking to the same spot where 3 of their buddies lay in a heap on the floor and I'm waiting around the same corner. Bunch up together and work as a group, start checking flanks or hiding and peeking around from behind cover... do something interesting. I thought there would be less enemies and more interesting enemy AI going in, I still ended up taking down a small army of dumb guards, a shame.

This is already a rambling post, so I'll cut it off here. A good game, worth playing, not an all time classic in my mind, but fun. Absolutely cream of the crop when it comes to presentation/graphics/sound though, no doubt about it.

aristotle

In the GB QuickLook, the nailbomb completely eviscerated humans into a cloud of gore. I can't get that to happen in my game. They just ragdoll off with a missing leg.

I blew people up in pieces constantly with mine. It was funny seeing it rain red from all the people trying to stop me at the end. ;)

Top Bottom